• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treasury Secretary to announce Harriet Tubman to replace Jackson on the $20 bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

I welcome Tubman on a coin or a bill, but replace Hamilton, not Jackson, if someone needs to be replaced. Jackson at least tried to kill the seed of what is now the Fed.

Andrew Jackson was a genocidal maniac that murdered a bunch of my Native ancestors, and you should be aware of this as a Jew, Huelen.

Alucrid

Banned
Everyone on a bill is an American hero, each for different reason.

AJ for me for helping kill the seeds of what we now call the Fed, though the Fed still one in the end.

why do we want failures on our money? really andrew jackson should be replaced with just text that reads "THE FED"

Booshka

Needs to be the Trail of Tears on the back and Harriet Tubman on the front. At least a little transparency on how this Country was built.

prwxv3

Jackson is the only one I think where his positives do not outweigh his negatives so he should be axed from the 20 dollar bill. Jefferson, Washington, Franklin, ect all deserve their spots. Yes many of them owned slaves but without them this country would not exist so they deserve to be on our currency.

Matsukaze

I'd be ok with Jackson remaining on the $20 under the right circumstances. Maybe have Harriet Tubman chokeslamming him through a table, or a Native American kicking him square in the nuts.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
VnAe8AV.jpg

Let's make it happen.

Zombine

Banned
Glad to see Tubman getting her dues, but I feel like it would have been so damn good if we got a Native American on that bill.

Superman0

That quote was a well crafted answer to the current white mans fears that one day black people would take over. Context is most definitely needed.

Yeah, it is just lazy to characterize the greatest US president by a small snippet of his campaign speech.

I recommend reading the fabulous eulogy of Lincoln by Frederick Douglas. He kept it real by describing the man and not the myth, and why Lincoln is the man.

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/document/oration-in-memory-of-abraham-lincoln/

This is great news but because I work in a rural gas station I will probably have to get accustomed to hearing the twenty dollar bill being referred to by racial slurs .That's going to be depressing.

Edit oh wait it won't happen until 2020 so hopefully I'll be out of college and out of Gasoline station business.

This is great news but because I work in a rural gas station I will probably have to get accustomed to hearing the twenty dollar bill being referred to by racial slurs .That's going to be depressing.

Edit oh wait it won't happen until 2020 so hopefully I'll be out of college and out of Gasoline station business.

Even if you aren't, you should still be good! No change until 2030!

braves01

Banned

How about when rap videos in 2030 have dudes stuffing Harriet Tubman's face into stripper thongs?

How about when rap videos in 2030 have dudes stuffing Harriet Tubman's face into stripper thongs?
That doesn't bother me as its not malicious at all. But having to deal with racial slurs as well as slavery reference most likely due to the most unfortunate circumstances that putting a black face on a monetary sum will no doubt bring out and without being able to say anything to them other than "have a nice day". But luckily in 2030 I will hopefully not be a cashier or even be in America.

FyreWulff

They really need to push this up to being printed sooner. By 2030 most everyone involved in the civil rights era will be dead or 100+ years old. They all deserve to be able to hold and spend the first official money with a black patriot on it.

CrazyDude

Good... get rid of Lincoln and his racist spewing garbage.

"I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality ... I will add to this that I have never seen, to my knowledge, a man, woman, or child who was in favor of producing a perfect equality, social and political, between negroes and white men." -Abraham Lincoln.

Is that a man we want on our money?

Lincoln also said this to David R Locke when asked about interracial marriage ban.

“The law means nothing. I shall never marry a negress, but I have no objection to any one else doing so. If a white man wants to marry a negro woman, let him do it – if the negro woman can stand it

I've been trying to find out where Vox's source for the 2030 date came from, and it seems to have come from a government source CNN gave before the Tubman announcement was even given.

However, the actual announcement on the Treasury site says that we'll see concepts in 2020, in conjunction with the 100th anniversary of the 19th Amendment, with final designs to follow. That's still a long time just for concepts.

CNN says that by the time we're there, a new Treasury Secretary could reverse or alter the decision. I'd love for someone to tell me they're wrong and that this is an irreversible decision, but the more I read, the more I wish I hadn't read and I'm already worried.

One final thing- these are the note designs shown by the Treasury as the inspiration for the next notes:

FyreWulff

The Treasury is part of the Executive, so yes, it's possible for a future President to undo this. Which I'm already worried about .. :(

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Good... get rid of Lincoln and his racist spewing garbage.

"I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality ... I will add to this that I have never seen, to my knowledge, a man, woman, or child who was in favor of producing a perfect equality, social and political, between negroes and white men." -Abraham Lincoln.

Is that a man we want on our money?

Do note that he said this when he was running for office and trying to win over the south, when he got into the office and all of a sudden changed his tune on things like slavery that was one of the things that led the south to succeed, he basically sweet talked them into thinking he wouldnt touch the statues quo on slavery.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Most of my American friends over Facebook seem to be indifferent or pleased with the change, but you'd think that TS is putting images of aborted fetuses going by some of the reactions I've seen outside of my perfect little bubble.

I think the best ones are the scorny folks chortling about how glad they are somebody is replacing a Democractic president with the efigy if a gun toting black Republican. 'Cause. When cognitive dissonance reaches quantum status.

Anyway, this made me chuckle

pHS5BGp.jpg

FyreWulff

Eh, the public backlash won't be worth it for any president to revert the decision.

Eh, I think a president could still get away with it. They wouldn't outright cancel it, just push it back into oblivion with dates.

At this point there needs to be a push by everyone to get it out in 2020 with the 10$ bill. So people can get it before they die and also because it makes sense to release a new 20$ bill in 2020, y'know?

Sean C

Eh, I think a president could still get away with it. They wouldn't outright cancel it, just push it back into oblivion with dates.
2030 is the ordinary date. There'd be no justification for pushing it back.

And frankly, I doubt they'd bother.

thefro

Even if you aren't, you should still be good! No change until 2030!

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...-tubman-advocate-about-the-20-bill-2016-04-20

Lew wants it in circulation by 2020.

Marketwatch said:
Turns out Jarmon needn’t have worried. Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew on Wednesday said he’s asked the agencies involved in currency design to speed up changes to the $5, $10 and $20 bills.

If the Treasury has its way, the newly designed $20 bill will enter circulation much sooner than first thought, with the new designs ready by 2020.

“Our goal is to have all three new notes go into circulation as quickly as possible, while ensuring that we protect against counterfeiting through effective and sophisticated production,” Lew said in a news conference.

CrazyDude

Do note that he said this when he was running for office and trying to win over the south, when he got into the office and all of a sudden changed his tune on things like slavery that was one of the things that led the south to succeed, he basically sweet talked them into thinking he wouldnt touch the statues quo on slavery.

He was running for senate and trying to insure republican control of the local house and senate. Back then a senator was chosen by the local government. He was pandering to the southern part of the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom