• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treasury Secretary to announce Harriet Tubman to replace Jackson on the $20 bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/treasurys-lew-to-announce-hamilton-to-stay-on-10-bill-222204

Treasury Secretary Jack Lew on Wednesday will announce a decision to keep Alexander Hamilton on the front of the $10 bill and put leaders of the movement to give women the right to vote on the back of the bill, sources tell POLITICO.

Treasury will also announce that it plans to replace former President Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill with Harriet Tubman, the sources said. There will also be changes to the $5 bill to depict civil rights era leaders.

emb

Cool.

It's funny to me though. The other thread about this also started with 'Secretary to announce...' Whoever the secretary is, they aren't getting a chance to actually announce anything. It's all leaks :O

Politico burying the lead here:

taeTj3N.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Aren't $20 bills the most commonly used and circulated? This is pretty big. #WeMadeIt

Viewt

So cool. Harriet Tubman is one of the most exemplary people to ever live.

EDIT: I'm also curious if Lin Manuel Miranda feels like he had a part in Hamilton staying on the $10. It's a fair assumption, I think.

gutshot

Andrew Jackson, a notorious racist and slave owner, getting replaced on the $20 bill by Harriet Tubman is poetic justice.

Hatty

They should leave Lincoln on the $5. Andrew Jackson is awful though so I'm glad he's being removed

moomoo14

I think it's for the best. Would Jackson even want to be on our money? His dying words were "I killed the banks." Putting him on our money is like a big slap in the face to his legacy.

...on second thought, keep him on the $20.

Phased

Good news about Jackson. Horrible person.

Regarding the 5, I'm fine with Lincoln sharing some real estate with civil rights icons which is what it sounds like is gonna happen.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Not bad, would have preferred a native to replace Jackson given what he did to them and how indifferent most of the country is to those issues in the past and present that have all but wiped out native culture and peoples, but Tubman isn't exactly a bad choice.

Misha

Banned
this is awesome. not only do we get tubman on one of them but we get to kick jackson off it at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom