• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump treasury secretary won’t commit to putting Harriet Tubman on $20 bill

giphy.gif

EDIT: Damn hit the return key. Anyway, fuck these pieces of shit, Harriet Tubman should absolutely be on the $20 bill, shit put her on the $100.

Mael

If they had any self awareness they would push this through and use it as " see he loves black people" counterpoints bothsides people love

I think they care more about keeping black people out of bills than getting any browie points for "defending black people".
I mean what little of the charade there was ended after the nazi rallies.

Keasar

”Well, Andrew Jackson had a great history, and I think it's very rough when you take somebody off the bill," Trump said last year. ”I think Harriet Tubman is fantastic, but I would love to leave Andrew Jackson or see if we can maybe come up with another denomination."
He did? I'm not American and even I know that Andrew Jackson was a fucking dick.

And of course you would. Asshole.

Mahonay

Banned
I think in addition to underestimating Trump's likelihood of winning, career politicians underestimated Trump's willingness to meddle with routine ongoing business. It will be a very sad and unstable future for America if we need to begin treating every handover of power as tabula rasa.
They should all be shamed for not seeing this kind of shit coming. It was pretty obvious if Trump got elected things would be thrown into chaos.

Horns

I think in addition to underestimating Trump's likelihood of winning, career politicians underestimated Trump's willingness to meddle with routine ongoing business. It will be a very sad and unstable future for America if we need to begin treating every handover of power as tabula rasa.

I've worked with the federal government for close to 15 years. People don't realize how long some of these things take. OMB, federal notices, lawyers, policy experts, public input, in some cases even federal studies. They're throwing years of work out. You cannot just restart this work. It'll take years to get back to where they left off if they ever do return to it. Whomever takes over in 2020 is going to have their hands full just trying to get back to where things left off in 2016 let alone make additional progress.

Zolo

This is one of the things I'm less surprised about since Jackson seems to be Trump's favorite president.

Of course it isn't fucking happening, since Andrew Johnson is Trump's model president. If anything it might change to a picture of Harriet Tubman is the bottom right corner, because of course it fucking will.

WillyFive

Andrew Jackson's face should not be anywhere in our country, except under the textbooks as "a terrible President and one of this nation's darkest moments".

G.ZZZ

Mnuchin continuing his favourite past time of depredating minorities of their properties, first their homes, now their place in history.

Can't believe this dude is liked by both parties. He's legitimately a cartoon caricature of an evil banker.

You've got a lot of growing up to do America.

The fact that they were even going to "compromise" by having her share the bill with a violent slave owner who opposed abolitionism and contributed to the native american genocide is a slap to the fucking face.

The standard that people hold their leadership to is so low that it would be funny if it wasn't so infuriating and depressing

Kaiterra

Banned
Girlfriend: Even pretending to try and improve society
Boyfriend: Republican voters
Blurry Girl: Triggering the libs

hirokazu

"I've decided to introduce the new $45 bill so we can put Harriet Tubman on it instead of removing Andrew Jackson. All my idea. Isn't it wonderful? Very wonderful. It's $45 because I'm the 45th president. But then, I thought, why would Harriet Tubman be on this bill? It's the $45 note. It's not the 50 cent bill. I should be on it. I've done amazing things. Amazing things. So today, I present you another amazing thing, our new $45 bill."

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Andrew Jackson was fucking nuts, why does everybody pretend like he was equal to Lincoln or something?

Everyone doesn't, Trump likes him because, and I'm not lying about this, he had literally never heard of him and then his aides said "Jackson was also a populist and that's what you are" and now Jackson is Trump's fav president. He bought a book about Jackson that he hasn't read, too. I'm not kidding.

Rosstimus

Banned
It constantly boggles my mind how incompetent this administration is at managing its public perception (among many other things).

It's dumb, but considering it is Trump, this is low on the list.

That being said, I'll never understand the defense of keeping Jackson on the $20 bill, but whatever.

Top Bottom