• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[UK] Xbox One S 500GB/1TB launch increase sales by 989%, PS4 Slim launch increase 22%

madmackem

No surprise the s is selling to current owners too no one with a ps4 is rushing out for a slim when pro is so close along with psvr. Now if the s is selling better when the pro hits ms might have something.

Some perspective is in order here. PlayStation has three new major hardware products being introduced to only one from Microsoft, and two of those aren't even available yet. Here are the UK and US Amazon rankings which include preorders for these unavailable PlayStation products. As you can see, the Xbox One S is not even the #1 product for the month and is being beat by the PS4 Pro which doesn't come out for 2 more months. The PlayStation family of products are already soundly beating Microsoft and that advantage is only going to get better going forward as new PlayStation products actually become available.

Code:
Amazon September Gaming Top 100
Major Console Hardware
As of Sept 29

United Kingdom

Pos  Brand Price    Drive  Product
===  ===== =======  =====  ============================
 7    PS4  £349.00   1TB   PlayStation 4 Pro 
 8    XB1  £249.00  500GB  Xbox One S FIFA 17 Bundle
36    XB1  £299.00   1TB   Xbox One S FIFA 17 Bundle
38    PS4  £349.00   N/A   PlayStation VR
41    PS4  £249.00  500GB  PlayStation 4 Slim
53    PS4  £232.99  500GB  PlayStation 4 Jet Black Edition 

PS4   XB1
              ===   ===
Count       |  4     2
Highest Pos | 7th   8th

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
United States

Pos  Brand Price    Drive  Product
===  ===== =======  =====  ============================
 4    PS4  $399.99   1TB   PlayStation 4 Pro
26    PS4  $223.20  500GB  PlayStation 4 Bundle with Call of Duty Black Ops III - Black
36    XB1  $299.99  500GB  Xbox One S - Halo Collection Bundle
53    PS4  $299.99  500GB  PlayStation 4 Slim - Uncharted 4 Bundle
68    PS4  $299.99  500GB  PlayStation 4 - Uncharted 4 Limited Edition Bundle
79    XB1  $399.00   2TB   Xbox One S - Launch Edition
80    XB1  $340.00   1TB   Xbox One S - Madden NFL 17 Bundle
96    PS4  $289.00  500GB  PlayStation 4 

PS4   XB1
              ===   ====
Count       |  5     3
Highest Pos | 4th   36th

At current price levels, the PS4 Slim gets creamed by PS4 Pro. PS4 Pro offers a far better value for money ratio. It will outsell the slim easily unless Sony reduces the price of the Slim significantly or offers some decent bundles.

For example, in Germany a huge retailer has a TV ad running, saying that they offer a 1 TB PS4 Slim together with FIFA 17 for "only €349". Two weeks ago, you were able to get two (!) OG PS4s (500GB) for €399, so €199 each. Right now, PS4 Slim ist basically too expensive to be able to increase sales significantly.
What you are seeing is a distortion of the market due to enthusiasts. Price is less an issue for them. As such they will move as one to be early adopters. However that is a one time effect. The PS4 Pro is currently enjoying a natural shift of some low end users plus that massive adoption of the enthusiast. Once we get into next year and beyond those enthusiast will go away and the normal price sensitivity of the mass market will take hold.

Also note that the Xbox One S and discontinued Xbox One products have had a ton of great deals lately. That is going to hit the PS4 Slim more than the Pro because the Pro can stand by itself due to its performance advantage over the Xbox One S. So of course the Slim had to go on sale in response. It had nothing to do with the Pro.

SOR5

DFC analysts I will never let you forget this

d3fb018db7.jpg
d3ff4e8b95.jpg

Never

All this says to me is that the Scorpio announcement did not dampen interest in the Xbox One S like many armchair analysts here predicted.

On that note, GG MS.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The jump of the original PS4 to the slim PS4 is not anywhere near the jump of XB1 to XB1S in regards to functionality. In addition to that, the Pro is coming out which generally speaking is far more of a jump, but i think consumers are still confused about it generally speaking

Why is it? Based on the momentum the PS4 had out the gate, The Xbox one should not of had a chance.

Like it or not, Microsoft has worked hard to stay in the race, and Sony have rested on their laurels in comparison (although to be fair, they still have been more aggressive than SCEA)

Revisionist history. Microsoft has a lot more mindshare in the US and UK than they do pretty much everywhere else and they've been far more aggressive with their pricing and bundles in both markets. They were always going to be much tougher battles for Sony, despite everything that went down at the beginning of this gen.

I also don't buy the idea that Microsoft have worked hard to stay in the race and are on the verge of turning things around. Did you pay any attention to Xbone sales before the fire sales and S launch? They were worse than ever. It remains to be seen whether this is just a temporary bump before yet another slump or if they can actually keep the momentum up.

timberger

Revisionist history. Microsoft has a lot more mindshare in the US and UK than they do pretty much everywhere else and they've been far more aggressive with their pricing and bundles in both markets. They were always going to be much tougher battles for Sony, despite everything that went down at the beginning of this gen.

I also don't buy the idea that Microsoft have worked hard to stay in the race and are on the verge of turning things around. Did you pay any attention to Xbone sales before the fire sales and S launch? They were worse than ever. It remains to be seen whether this is just a temporary bump before yet another slump or if they can actually keep the momentum up.

I agree with you, but based on personal experience, you're really wasting your time trying to talk sense with some of these guys.

Syrus

Banned
Wht cant we say goodjob xbox and not turn into ps vs xbox?

On topic. Im glad the S is selling well, hopefully this continues to sell well more then a month. I love my S.

Elios83

All this says to me is that the Scorpio announcement did not dampen interest in the Xbox One S like many armchair analysts here predicted.

On that note, GG MS.

Launch week of a new hardware product shouldn't really tell you anything.
Let's see the Xbox One S sales in the coming months, the road from January to November 2017 will be a looong one.

I agree with you, but based on personal experience, you're really wasting your time trying to talk sense with some of these guys.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't bother. Anyone seriously claiming Sony are "resting on their laurels" have obviously already made their mind up.

EGM1966

On that note, GG MS.

People saying that were simply ignoring market behavior. Scorpio is way, way to far out to impact general market now vs good price and deals.

The PS4 Pro on the other hand is definitely close enough in launch time-frame to be the focus for people upgrading vs the PS4 Slim.

Trup1aya

Launch week of a new hardware product shouldn't really tell you anything.
Let's see the Xbox One S sales in the coming months, the road from January to November 2017 will be a looong one.

I think it says enough. The idea that the Scorpio would dampen Xbox One S sales is silly to me, considering they are clearly aimed at two different segments of the market.

Xbox One S is meant to appeal to the price concious... The person who has Waited to buy into Xbox for when the value exceeded the cost.

The Scorpio is pegged to be a premium experience. It's aimed at hardcore Xbox fans who will upgrade their OG, and new customers who are lured by horse power.

Sure there are naturally some people who might have gotten a S if the Scorpio wasn't announced, but I doubt there is much overlap.

Looks like Sony has reacted to the Xbox One mega deals of late with FIFA bundles at £150-179.

Still the S represents amazing value and is sure to sell better than the old VCR box and having a UHD player is neat if you want to buy some of your favourite films in 4k or rent a few or some in a amazon sale. With PS4/PS4 Pro you don't have that luxury and who the fuck wants to buy a dedicated player for casual watching.

wapplew

It's curious how we have "numbers" on FIFA bundle launch week but not for the console launch almost two months ago.

Ya, need hard numbers to put things into context.
If 500G/1TB launch increase sales by 989% over 2TB OneS/OG Xbox one, what does that tell us? OneS trigger the jump or the price or the bundle?
Hard to make any conclusion without numbers or longer tracking data.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah but what was the percentage for PS4 before?
Sales in my department that I took over was up over 2000% from the previous year, but thats because the sales was zero lol
Percentages mean nothing with context.

This isn't surprising. The ps4 slim offers nothing new at $300. You can still buy the OG PS4 for less money new or used. Even has optical audio if thats something you're still interested in. Meanwhile for the same price you can get similar features plus UHD support with the Xbox One S. And in a territory where more people already have PS4's, you now have even greater incentive to try out all of the Xbox exclusives you've been missing out on. Buy Gears 4 and get all the other Gears for free digitally with BC. The Master Chief collection seems to be working well. Forza Horizon 3 is a sensational game. To me it seems like there's no better time to pick up an Xbox One in the UK.

RibMan

Percentages is a marketing tool, they really dont say much. What were the sales numbers the week before xbs released? 1000, 3000, 10000....? a 1000% is good but compared to what?

Agreed.

Does anyone know the actual sales numbers?

cakely

I've already made my congratulations to Microsoft in this thread. Hey, I'll do it it again: Congratulations, Microsoft!

However, this news represents one week of sales, in one region, and it's given in relative percentages. It may be just a little early for victory laps, high-fives and i-told-you-sos. Just saying.

Yup...none of these people are in or will ever go to sales GAF threads. Just owners validating their purchases.

Should at least be an interesting holiday though, lot of new hardware releases in the next year.

X1s
PS4slim
PS4Pro
PSVR
NX
Scorpio

Sheesh...

Zemm

I really do want an Xbox Slim but just waiting for the £150 sweet spot. Once it hits that price (Christmas?) I'm in.

Kathian

Banned
Slim and Pro lose a big plus with product design vs PS4. Xbox One S is the better price point especially with bundles which basically leave it at 199.

And why did Microsoft have better mindshare last gen? Because their box was cheaper, they promoted their content better, they had more variety in SKUs aand made sure they kept adding features to their box.

Which is exactly what they have been doing this gen, only tenfold.

The UK has proved time after time after time again that price is king. The more value you are getting for your money, the better you do. Microsoft has consistently been adding value via bundless, trade in deals, pack ins, vouchers etc.

Sony will have the odd bundle and call it a day.

You could argue that you don't need to add so much value as the market leader, but that only works if you are consistently producing compelling content.

Sony has taken their foot off the gas, when they should of sank it into the floor. This is the result.

Edit: Seems like I've got my old tag back. Besides how petty and vindictive it shows certain admin/mods are, I am glad the people who who were clearly missing masturbating furiously everytime I posted have once again got something to get their rocks off. *Yawn*

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sony has taken their foot off the gas, when they should of sank it into the floor. This is the result.

Their loss for a few weeks in one territory and their loss in another territory by a couple thousand? While i do think MS have a great marketing advantage right now, I don't really think Sony is particularly concerned about a threat MS could pose.

Top Bottom