• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Feds charge two 19-year-olds in Lizard Squad investigation

kenta

Has no PEINS
https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/10/feds-charge-two-in-lizard-squad-investigation/

The U.S. Justice Department has charged two 19-year-old men alleged to be core members of the hacking groups Lizard Squad and PoodleCorp. The pair are charged with credit card theft and operating so-called “booter”or “stresser” services that allowed paying customers to launch powerful attacks designed to knock Web sites offline.

Federal investigators charged Zachary Buchta of Fallston, Md., and Bradley Jan Willem Van Rooy of Leiden, the Netherlands with conspiring to cause damage to protected computers.
The conspiracy charge carries a maximum sentence of ten years in prison.
These are the dudes that claimed credit for taking down XBL/PSN during the holidays, for those who don't remember.

Unsurprisingly, it looks like they simply paid to point an existing botnet at whatever service or site they wanted. Good news is that botnet operator has recently been exposed. Bad news is that a different piece of botnet control software has recently been open sourced and things could get real nasty. Read up on Krebs's site for more info on that if interested

AmuroChan

Is it 18 that you get charged as an adult or 21?

Either way, I hope they get the full sentence as allowed by the law.

If only people invested the amount of time and energy needed to do shitty stuff like this into positive & uplifting endeavours. I will never understand the mentality that necessitates fuckery of this magnitude. They're fucked.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The conspiracy charge carries a maximum sentence of ten years in prison.
Good. Hopefully this deters other idiots from whatever plans they have for Christmas.

Codeblue

I just hope they don't wind up getting cushy government jobs for this

Which is what tends to happen.

Why would the government offer jobs for DDOSing? Not to mention the fact that they paid someone to do it for them. They didn't hack the Pentagon, they're just morons with too much money.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Why would the government offer jobs for DDOSing? Not to mention the fact that they paid someone to do it for them. They didn't hack the Pentagon, they're just morons with too much money.
Key point: They apparently used stolen credit cards to fund the botnet time. So they were morons with other peoples' credit card info

Edit: Based on my understanding of the article. He doesn't spend a lot of time talking about the credit card charges

ElRenoRaven

Fuck em. Throw the book at them and give them the max sentence. Time to start making examples out of pieces of crap like this.

molnizzle

Is it 18 that you get charged as an adult or 21?

18 is full blown adult no matter what. No choice.

When you hear of teens possibly being "tried as an adult" it's when you have 15-16 year olds committing heinous crimes. 18 you're an adult in the eyes of the law.

Nokterian

Good learn it the hard way, seeing some arrested from the netherlands and you dumb little fuck. Get all these script kiddies to learn that crime doesn't pay and DDoS is not for the lulz either.

7EtFL06.jpg

Nice!

I just hope they don't write a full essay of how jail time will affect them in the long term and get free because of that.

Zukuu

Banned
First, can we please not call them 'hacker' group? Secondly, good - fuck em. Hope it was worth it you little asshats.

Het_Nkik

They're young and did stupid shit. I hope they don't actually have to serve 10 years in prison. That's ridiculous.

RPGCrazied

They're young and did stupid shit. I hope they don't actually have to serve 10 years in prison. That's ridiculous.

Don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time. They knew there were consequences to their actions, but did it anyway.

900x506

The one without the ridiculously long name.

Definitely looks like someone who needed a hobby.

You reap what you sow, son!

These guys are terrorists in a difference sense than what we normally see on the news, but they can just as easily destroy peoples lives. Laws gonna have to drop the hammer on these people that think it's funny to mess with peoples games.

Aaron D.

All I can say is that I'm glad The Internet didn't take hold until I was well into my 20's.

I wasn't a complete asshole, but at least my random teen-angst fueled vandalism was isolated to my small postage stamp on the map.

jeffc919

I hope they get the max and I hope they get the full prison experience. This isn't some kid spray painting a wall or knocking down a mail box. They created a disruption that affected millions of people. They also ruined more than one of my days off and I'm vindictive so I hope their lives are never the same.

I just hope they don't wind up getting cushy government jobs for this

Which is what tends to happen.

Some organizations have given jobs to hackers, actual hackers. These are script kiddies, giving them a job in cyber security is like giving a head chef position to someone that spent a summer working at McDonald's.

Top Bottom