• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Feds charge two 19-year-olds in Lizard Squad investigation

Honestly I wouldn't give these guys more than 2-3 years.

For SWATing, bomb threats, and credit card theft/fraud? Not to mention the DDOS attacks...

Are their ages what makes you not like the sentencing? They committed big boy crimes, they deserve big-boy sentencing. SWATing alone deserves harsh sentencing. These weren't just some guys who made Playstation network go down a couple of times.

R00bot

For SWATing, bomb threats, and credit card theft/fraud? Not to mention the DDOS attacks...

Are their ages what makes you not like the sentencing? They committed big boy crimes, they deserve big-boy sentencing. SWATing alone deserves harsh sentencing. These weren't just some guys who made Playstation network go down a couple of times.

Age has nothing to do with it. 3 years is a perfectly acceptable amount of time for some delinquents like this. I doubt it would take much to dissuade them from ever doing it again.

Age has nothing to do with it. 3 years is a perfectly acceptable amount of time for some delinquents like this. I doubt it would take much to dissuade them from ever doing it again.
Oh wow, I totally misread your post as "2-3 months" no, I agree with you. A few years is about right.

They're young and did stupid shit. I hope they don't actually have to serve 10 years in prison. That's ridiculous.

They ran a harassment service that called victims every hour with death threats for $20 a month. They deserve every second of those 10 years behind bars.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Chû Totoro;219482216 said:
wow a new low.

So these guys will come out of jail at 29 years old and most of you are celebrating. Yeah ok.... I guess.
No, this is a new low:
Florida’s Polk County Sheriff's Office first identified the teen after he placed several threatening calls to locations in the area in late 2014, including threats to shoot and blow up a high school where one of his targets attended. According to a report in The Province, “when [targets] would not acknowledge friend and follow requests or send him things that he wanted, such as photos, he would harass them and their families."

There was a woman in Arizona, swatted repeatedly and terrorized to the point of dropping out of university for a semester, and the Minnesota parents whose credit was in shambles after the teen swatted their child and posted the parents’ personal information online. In other instances, the teen would call in hostage situations, murders, bomb threats, and threatened to kill police, The Province reported, and would then hack and harass targets and their families for months with “phone calls, texts and by spamming social media accounts.”
I have no sympathy for these guys. Not even a little bit.

KAP151

Taking down gaming servers is at worst annoying for 99% of people, but SWATing and stealing personal/financial info can ruin peoples lives.

Zero sympathy.

What for real? Fuck them even more. I hope the punishment is to the max.

From the article in the OP:

Federal investigators allege that van Rooy and Buchta also operated a service called phonebomber[dot]net, a site that enabled paying customers to select victims to receive repeated harassing and threatening phone calls from spoofed phone numbers. The service, which cost $20 per month, would call the target number once per hour with pre-recorded messages. Here’s one of those messages, according to the Justice Department:

“When you walk the fucking streets, Motherfucker, you better look over your fucking back because I don’t flying fuck if we have to burn your fucking house down, if we have to fucking track your goddamned family down, we will fuck your shit up motherfuck.”

Pantz

I remember these guys giving the location/photos to the gravestone of one of Smedley's relatives and suggesting they would give a large sum of bitcoin to whoever would destroy it.

You can't get too much lower without causing physical harm to someone. They deserve it.

“When you walk the fucking streets, Motherfucker, you better look over your fucking back because I don’t flying fuck if we have to burn your fucking house down, if we have to fucking track your goddamned family down, we will fuck your shit up motherfuck.”

They should get 1 year for every fuck in this sentence.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Young guys making stupid decisions without realizing the consequences, let's throw the book at em boys! 10 years seems harsh but they should be jailed I agree.

They should get the max. On good behavior they'll be out in 5 so that's a fair sentence.

Of course what will really happen is they'll probably get at most a year in prison and like 3 years probation.

900x506

The one without the ridiculously long name.

Definitely looks like someone who needed a hobby.

LMFAO he literally has a neckbeard!!!

Lanrutcon

I may just be a terrible human being, but I find it hard to have any sympathy for these guys.

They're old enough to know what they did. They just didn't care.

SgtCobra

Young guys making stupid decisions without realizing the consequences, let's throw the book at em boys! 10 years seems harsh but they should be jailed I agree.
They're 19 not 11. I'm pretty sure that when swatting all those people, stealing all that information, threatening all those people and taking sites/services down (these things are far from "making stupid decicions") they knew damn well what the consequences would be when getting caught.

Yeah, destroying people's credit and especially SWATting is where these guys lose my sympathy.

10 years is a super long time though, unless it works like in my country where if you behave you don't end up serving the whole sentence. I agree with something in the ballpark of 2-3 years of actual in-prison time, 5 years absolute max. I think anything beyond that isn't even useful as a punishment, since prison becomes "the new normal".

iceatcs

New kind of mental illness because it is not a unique crime, it was done by very specific people doing very similar crime tasks.

Lone is an illness, or you could become one of them.

JodokusK

I never got this thing with shaming these scummy assholes for how they look or saying that they fit the bill or something; that's nothing more than stereotyping and it just shows how shallow you are. There's good reasons to dislike the guy that has nothing to do with what he looks like, and having things like his appearance made fun of is probably one of the things that turned him into an asshole in the first place.
Good somebody said it. This 'neckbeard stereotyping' is really dumb.

FX-GMC

Of course I'm serious. Are you going to make any kind of counterargument besides a macro of a baby?
Watch this guy either make it obvious he didn't even get the point of my post, or never reply again.

So you are saying that disagreeing with an actual sentence is the same as disagreeing with a sentence that you made up?

I consider that a false equivalency.

blackflag

Well then what is an appropriate sentence? If they get sentenced to 10 they'll only serve 5 at most if they are good. If they get like a 3 year sentence they'll be out in a year or so.

These guys swatted people? No sympathy. 5 years minimum.

A SWAT team breaks into my house I probably have a higher chance of getting shot. Throw them away.

joms5

I dunno if it has been brought up yet, but you can't compare the maximum sentence of murder with that of credit card theft.

http://www.hg.org/credit-card-fraud.html

So at the very most, 15 years in prison. And that depends on how much was obtained. It needs to be a 'significant amount'.

The max, and only, first degree charge for murder is life in prison without parole/death penalty. The minimum with a gun at 25 years with second degree murder, and at 10 years with a clean record with very little influence. So that's a very hard comparison to make.

I was simply stating that people have gotten away with lesser murder sentences than people are asking for when it comes to these guys.

Don't forget Manslaughter.

jacobeid

Banned
Well, that's retarded.

Guy with baby hitler avatar repeatedly calling things 'retarded'. How the fuck is this shit allowed? What the fuck is going on with this place? A month ago Wollan called people autistic and now we have members calling things retarded.

I'm about ready to jump ship. I thought this was site supposed to be civil discussion.

ZoddGutts

Oh boy just wait until you find out people use the N word too!

Anyways back on topic, hope these guys get several years in jail.

jacobeid

Banned
Oh boy just wait until you find out people use the N word too!

Anyways back on topic, hope these guys get several years in jail.

Sure people use them. Doesn't mean that either are appropriate, especially in this context. Come on dude. We should all collectively work to rid that of our vernacular. Do you really think that stuff makes GAF look good?

tornjaw

Rick: Cute. Your sisters boss gave me a microscope that would've made me retarded.

Morty: Ooo, oh boy Rick, I don't think you're allowed to say that, you know?

Rick: Uh, Morty, I'm not disparaging the differently abled. I'm stating the fact that if I used this microscope, it would have made me mentally retarded.

Morty: Oh yeah, but I don't think it's about logic, Rick. I think the word has just become a symbolic issue for powerful groups that feel like they're doing the right thing.

Rick: Well, that's retarded.
"Something Ricked This Way Comes"

Love all the accusations of trolling in this thread. And by "love", I mean "utterly depressed that people are so close and simple minded that they can't conceive, even as a concept, that anyone could disagree with the punishment at the same time they condemn the crime". Fucking grow up and start seeing the shades of grey.

I also love how you two guys vanished off the edge of the world. Not so quick to reply now, eh?

Top Bottom