• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Feds charge two 19-year-olds in Lizard Squad investigation

Stitch-throws-books-Lilo-and-Stitch.gif
Haha, it got a chuckle out of me.

A lot of hate in here.

They did a crime, hopefully they'll do the time, but wishing rape or life sentences on someone because of a non violent crime?

Not cool.

900x506

The one without the ridiculously long name.

Definitely looks like someone who needed a hobby.

Not surprised, looks like your typical neck beard.

I don't think that's the one with the long name. From the article:

"Buchta was arrested last month in Maryland and was slated to make an initial court appearance in Chicago on Wednesday. Authorities in the Netherlands arrested van Rooy last month and he remains in custody there."

That picture is definitely taken in Chicago, and that's where Zachary Buchta made his court appearance. Bradley Jan Willem Van Rooy remains in custody in the Netherlands.
"without"

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I don't understand the neck beard.

The entire world has been mocking it for two decades, yet guys still do it. I can't imagine these guys don't know how openly derided having one is. And it's not like it just appears, it has to be actively maintained by the neck bearded.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Well earned time. Not surprised by the defense force TBH. It's tough to imagine somebody losing 10 years of life, which they will never get back. But they abused a system and harrassed millions of people in doing so. They caused damage to a companies image, they stole money and credit cards. They sold an illegal business/program, and they even called in a bomb threat to divert a plane. Hopefully they serve most of that time.

[ig]https://cdn.ampproject.org/i/www.trbimg.com/img-57f588a0/turbine/ct-ct-hacker-dirksen-james02-jpg-20161005/900/900x506[/img]

The one without the ridiculously long name.

Definitely looks like someone who needed a hobby.

Looks like he just cant wait to drop the soap

Hope they rot...they fucked up my quality time :p

yayyy rape jokes and making fun of his looks! Class acts all around in this thread.

A lot less silly than some of the crap coming out of peoples mouths in here.

People get less time for killing a person.

But no, these guys deserve the maximum.

I dunno if it has been brought up yet, but you can't compare the maximum sentence of murder with that of credit card theft.

http://www.hg.org/credit-card-fraud.html

So at the very most, 15 years in prison. And that depends on how much was obtained. It needs to be a 'significant amount'.

The max, and only, first degree charge for murder is life in prison without parole/death penalty. The minimum with a gun at 25 years with second degree murder, and at 10 years with a clean record with very little influence. So that's a very hard comparison to make.

The entire world has been mocking it for two decades, yet guys still do it. I can't imagine these guys don't know how openly derided having one is. And it's not like it just appears, it has to be actively maintained by the neck bearded.

I 'might' have a neck beard (maybe it's too lumberjacky to count?) and it's just sorta how the beard growns in. Unless I have no idea how beards work, a neck beard is the opposite of 'actively maintained.' It's 'I'm too lazy to shave regularly so I'm just gonna let this beard grow out until it's uncomfortable and then I'll trim it.' I'm proud of mine. There's a colony of gnomes living in it.

As for the topic, hopefully they get the maximum sentence. I don't think these sorts of things will stop unless the people doing it realise they're gonna get caught like any other crime.

SeanTSC

A lot of hate in here.

They did a crime, hopefully they'll do the time, but wishing rape or life sentences on someone because of a non violent crime?

Not cool.

Not surprised, looks like your typical neck beard.

SWATing isn't a non-violent crime. Let's stop ignoring all of the other crap that these groups were part of. SWATing, Bomb Threats, Doxxing and Harassment, Credit Card Fraud, etc.

Every single thread about people like this we get people in here going "lol video games" in an attempt to hand-wave all of this away when these people who are adults, not children, were involved in some very serious shit that should not be forgotten or dismissed.

People (especially on the younger side) can't grow hair on their face but want a beard anyway. The style itself can be good, it's its negative connotations attached to it that bring it down.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
People (especially on the younger side) can't grow hair on their face but want a beard anyway. The style itself can be good, it's its negative connotations attached to it that bring it down.

Oh I see. It does look like that guy could grow a real beard though...

ElRenoRaven

SWATing isn't a non-violent crime. Let's stop ignoring all of the other crap that these groups were part of. SWATing, Bomb Threats, Doxxing and Harassment, Credit Card Fraud, etc.

Every single thread about people like this we get people in here going "lol video games" in an attempt to hand-wave all of this away when these people who are adults, not children, were involved in some very serious shit that should not be forgotten or dismissed.

That's part of the problem too. People dismiss this shit because it wasn't a shooting, stabbing, raping etc. They treat it like it's no big deal. It is. You broke the goddamn law. Your actions hurt others. What they did is not a victimless crime. They affected people in many ways. From money lost, time with family lost, stress created, and much more.

hope the minor inconvenience they caused was worth the jail time
oh and swatting too? shit that's fucked up I hope they get max then

Scum of the earth got caught...GOOD.

...and these bum asses what 19y.o..? Here in US they would get 15-25 years in jail easily. They cost hunnit thou if not billions to major companies.

Rival

Gold Member
So what exactly was it that these two Einsteins proved? I hope it was worth it for them. The average person was mildly inconvenienced for a bit and these two are facing a decade in prison. People are capable of making some truly ignorant choices in life.

Harmen

That second dude's long ass name doe..

Just his second and third names, plus his last name. A lot of people have them here (I don't believe this is uncommon in other nations though, as I often see this in scientific publications?). Leiden is the town he lives in. In general people only refer to your first and and last name, and only use all names for official documentation.

Every time a see an article about these guys, for a half second i think it's about Broken Lizard...

Glad these Lizard Squad asshats are getting their desserts.

Zomba13

Chû Totoro;219482216 said:
wow a new low.

So these guys will come out of jail at 29 years old and most of you are celebrating. Yeah ok.... I guess.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time?

NeoFaff

FBI charging him is all well and good but how does it work between US and NL?

I assume dutch courts will charge him and he'll serve time in the Netherlands. What's their cyber crime legislation like?

I can't generate any sympathy for them because all evidence indicate that they were enjoying making life shittier for everyone else.

Glad they got arrested and that the law will take care of them

"Don't do shit if you can't handle the consequences " is a rule everyone is forced to follow them included

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time?

10 years for this seems appropriate for you? I was all about them being punished but damn.

Also celebrating a sentence is not something good to do imo (even if they had like 1 year I wouldn't have celebrated this).
I just find that doing so is inappropriate and I also find the sentence a little too disproportionate for what they did. But that's just me. Like I said you have the right to be happy about it... a good day for you and many Blizzard games / PSN users I guess.

FBI charging him is all well and good but how does it work between US and NL?

I assume dutch courts will charge him and he'll serve time in the Netherlands. What's their cyber crime legislation like?

I haven't looked into this case but I'm Dutch, and heard something about it on the news. The guy is being held upon request of the US (DoJ, me guess) - I think, again haven't looked into it. I think he's being held for an extradition hearing. And although theoretically certain offenses commited in other countries can be prosecuted in the country of residence (like murder and manslaughter) I don't know if that's the case with what this person is being charged with in the US.

In the Netherlands, there are several clauses in penal code dealing with offences that one could categorize as cyber crime. I think out of the top of my head a 4 year prison sentence is the max - and we don't have mandatory minimums. However, you could add fraude and theft to the charge as well, but if there isn't a violent component, like the equivalent of battery or assault then the max prision sentence stated in the criminal code for the offence is unlikely to be higher than 4 years. And judges in Netherlands rarely'll give you the max.

Again, I think he's being held for extradition purposes. Usually you appear before a Dutch court and provide reasons why you think your extradition would be unlawful. Often in these cases arguments are raised that deal with human rights. The US for instance has held out committing fully to certain int. human rights treaties. They might, say, be signatories but with reservations so that some clauses might not apply.

Compared to Dutch standards the very high prison sentences dealt in the US are also an issue - I don't know how that is on a state by state basis but this is a Federal case.

Then there is the legal system - the guy might argue he won't get a proper trial because he can't afford legal fees and pro bono will not be suffice to represent him fully and so he'll likely be forced into a plea bargain.

But counter points would be that a suspect can be charged and sentenced in the US and then after a certain time request to have his sentence commuted to the equivalent according to Dutch standards - based on our Penal Code. And serve the remainder in the Netherlands. There are treaties between the US and the Netherlands that make this possible. Many drug offenders - XTC dealers for instance - that are subjects of the Kingdom of the Netherlands have been sent back home and seen their sentence cut by three quarters or even time served in the Netherlands.

Still I would not like to be in the guy's shoes. As it will likely turn out to become a plea bargain with the suspect getting the short end of the stick. And obviously the guy is innocent until proven guilty.

diamount

Banned
Chû Totoro;219482216 said:
wow a new low.

So these guys will come out of jail at 29 years old and most of you are celebrating. Yeah ok.... I guess.

That is the maximum sentence. They're not going to be in jail for 10 years.

That is the maximum sentence. They're not going to be in jail for 10 years.

I would worry more about damages. Will those affected (companies and individuals) by the offenders' action not file a law suit to seek damages? You'll probably be bankrupt for the rest of your natural life. Like having to pay say, $10.000.000,- in damages. How does that work if you don't have any cash, like at all.

diamount

Banned
I would worry more about damages. Will those affected (companies and individuals) by the offenders' action not file a law suit to seek damages? You'll probably be bankrupt for the rest of your natural life. Like having to pay say, $10.000.000,- in damages. How does that work if you don't have any cash, like at all.

They go after your assets but as these guys were living with their parents, they won't get anything so it's a fruitless endeavour.

Chû Totoro;219486686 said:
10 years for this seems appropriate for you? I was all about them being punished but damn.

Also celebrating a sentence is not something good to do imo (even if they had like 1 year I wouldn't have celebrated this).
I just find that doing so is inappropriate and I also find the sentence a little too disproportionate for what they did. But that's just me. Like I said you have the right to be happy about it... a good day for you and many Blizzard games / PSN users I guess.

Stolen credit cards, SWATing, and making bomb threats, on top of using said credit cards to pay for a DDOS attack.

Yes. 10 years is appropriate.

nkarafo

Wow, this street justice mob.

Sure, they have to get punished. But some people here seem ruthless. Some even suggest Life time? Maximum sentences? Rape? How about execute them instead? With a slow death.

Calm down.

They go after your assets but as these guys were living with their parents, they won't get anything so it's a fruitless endeavour.

I can definitely see companies going after them for punitive purposes in order to make an example out of them. Plus, winning would mean they would spend portions of their income for the rest of their lives paying towards the amount.

Stolen credit cards, SWATing, and making bomb threats, on top of using said credit cards to pay for a DDOS attack.

Yes. 10 years is appropriate.

Swatting in particular should not be taken lightly. Every one of those quote above is a crime , so multiple ones ? The appropriate punishment should not be a "light" one.

entremet

Wow, this street justice mob.

Sure, they have to get punished. But some people here seem ruthless. Some even suggest Life time? Maximum sentences? Rape? How about execute them instead? With a slow death.

Calm down.
Hell hath no fury like gamers scorned lol.

Yeah, but as soon you have a job or any sort of income they'll come knocking. If damages are awarded they won't go away just because you have nothing. It'll make starting a new life coming out of jail real hard. In the Netherlands if you're in debt they can take say x percent of your income - so you'll be left with the minimum required for living. And if you're in it over your neck you can ask the court for an insolvency arrangement. Basically living of the bare minimum for three years during which time most of your income goes to debtors, after those three years you're debt free. I know in the US you can file for bankruptcy but I don't know if that applies to people and if that means your debt free after a certain amount of time. Also certain debts, like taxes, or fines or damages awarded in criminal case never go away in the Netherlands.

R00bot

Honestly I wouldn't give these guys more than 2-3 years.

Also dislike the whole mob mentality that can happen with these kinds of things. They don't deserve to be raped or anything like that, and tbh I find that mentality disgusting and counterintuitive.

These guys are certified assholes tho.

Is there really a defense force for this shit? What the hell am I reading

Ah yes, the classic "if you disagree with the punishment you are defending them" fallacy. I hope you support chopping off the hands of shoplifters, otherwise you're supporting theft.

Ten years does sound like too much, but that's the maximum so it's unlikely they'll get as much. Even a couple years will completely change their lives and ensure they don't do something stupid like this again.

Top Bottom