• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Feds charge two 19-year-olds in Lizard Squad investigation

KaYotiX

Banned
They're young and did stupid shit. I hope they don't actually have to serve 10 years in prison. That's ridiculous.

they knew what they were doing, they are 19 for cryin out loud. Time to face consequences. This "too young" bullshit is a lame excuse. If they were 9 years old sure....not 19.

flkraven

They're young and did stupid shit. I hope they don't actually have to serve 10 years in prison. That's ridiculous.

It's not like they were stealing change out of cars or sneaking onto 21 or older website. They are directly responsible for nefarious shit the impacted millions and cost millions. Didn't lizard squad bring down a plane bc of bomb threats? Likewise they are being charge with some sort of credit card fraud too.

They need to be punished, for sure.

Murkas

900x506

The one without the ridiculously long name.

Definitely looks like someone who needed a hobby.

Legit neckbeard.

SgtCobra

19 is definitely not "just a kid" anymore. They knew damn well what they were doing.

I hope they had some fun few months on Twitter though, guess it was all worth it in the end!

joms5

I'm curious how many of you have actually been affected by this in terms of having your credit card stolen.

Then i'm curious about how many of you are just crying because you couldn't play games online.

I understand they broke the law and yeah they must be punished but some of you asking for maximum sentences have never been in the prison system and saying the things some of you are saying shows how ignorant you are to how their lives will be affected by such an outcome.

Because of this, it makes me smile that some of you are salty that you couldn't play your games online. Please. Boo hoo.

Why should he be transported to the US? He did everything from Dutch soil. This is like Kim Dotcom's case. Absurd. He should face justice in the Netherlands, not the US.

Jurisdiction is a more complicated question than that.

I'd argue he probably should be in kept in the Netherlands, but there's a fair argument to be made for a wide variety of jurisdictions given that people from a lot of different places were victim to it. I don't think it applies in this case necessarily, but we can't simply allow people to hide behind their country's lax laws while they commit crimes against people in another country. There's no justice in that.

But, as I said, it's a complicated question.

Because of this, it makes me smile that some of you are salty that you couldn't play your games online. Please. Boo hoo.

I firmly expect the defense to make the same sort of flimsy argument. "Boo hoo, a bunch of nerds couldn't play their games. He's a kid, your honor, let's just let this thing go." It ignores the massive amount of revenue lost in such an attack. It's really a very silly thing to say.

I'm curious how many of you have actually been affected by this in terms of having your credit card stolen.

Then i'm curious about how many of you are just crying because you couldn't play games online.

I understand they broke the law and yeah they must be punished but some of you asking for maximum sentences have never been in the prison system and saying the things some of you are saying shows how ignorant you are to how their lives will be affected by such an outcome.

Is there really a defense force for this shit? What the hell am I reading

joms5

I firmly expect the defense to make the same sort of flimsy argument. "Boo hoo, a bunch of nerds couldn't play their games. He's a kid, your honor, let's just let this thing go." It ignores the massive amount of revenue lost in such an attack. It's really a very silly thing to say.

A lot less silly than some of the crap coming out of peoples mouths in here.

People get less time for killing a person.

But no, these guys deserve the maximum.

Is there really a defense force for this shit? What the hell am I reading

I'm sorry you can't comprehend what I wrote. But I'm not defending them. Please tell me where I said that.

I have a problem with the hatred being thrown their way. And again, I actually don't think it's affected everyone who's posted such stuff.

They should be punished yes, but these threads where the gang mentality is "Off with their heads. YAY!" is disgusting.

A lot less silly than some of the crap coming out of peoples mouths in here.

People get less time for killing a person.

But no, these guys deserve the maximum.

That's a straw-man if I've ever seen one. Comparing a murder sentence that someone at some point got to the maximum sentence in a global cyber attack involving financial theft? We've gone beyond a reasonable conversation worth having.

"Defence Force"...

No you're reading people from first world countries that don't incarcerate full percentages of their population in for profit prison systems for decades long sentences wrinkle their nose at the idea of removing 10 years plus of the life of a person for a nonviolent idiotic crime committed as a lonely loser social outcast teen or early 20 something.

Also the idea of sending someone from the Netherlands for a crime committed in the Netherlands to the US justice system is abhorrent to most Europeans.

That doesn't mean we don't think they were awful manchildren or that they don't deserve some punishment.

cakely

I know you're just trolling, but this is what it would look like if a Lizard Squad member had an account on GAF.

Ehh I gotta say I don't really get the vitriol either; really the worst thing to come out of this is some lost revenue, but do we have any statistics on exactly how much that might be? It's pretty easy to flag and charge back a fraudulent charge in most cases, and some people couldn't play videogames online for a day. I'm not trying to say they shouldn't go to prison, but ten years sounds a little absurd to me. I'd say 3 or 4 years max.

Edit: Also "cyber terrorists?" Come on. You guys are acting like they hijacked some drones or something.

MageBoySA

Something interesting about credit card fraud. IT can also be classified as identity theft if the prosecutors want to add charges/push harder for a plea bargain. When I worked for a retailer, local police wanted tapes showing someone using a stolen card so they could hit them with one count of identity theft for every use of the card,

Lucumo

Why should he be transported to the US? He did everything from Dutch soil. This is like Kim Dotcom's case. Absurd. He should face justice in the Netherlands, not the US.

Kim's case is way more messed up though. The US did so many illegal things, as well as NZ. And then the joke that are the trials...

joms5

That's a straw-man if I've ever seen one. Comparing a murder sentence that someone at some point got to the maximum sentence in a global cyber attack involving financial theft? We've gone beyond a reasonable conversation worth having.

I'm not comparing murder and this. What i'm saying is that people get murder sentences less than what people are asking of these kids to get. The two are nowhere near close. Also you say a global cyber attack involving financial theft. Well I can tell you without a doubt that any money that was taken was not the responsibility of the card holder. That's why CC companies have insurance. It doesn't make what they did right at all. But there's no point in making these kids out to be Bernie Madoff here.

They will pay for their crimes. But we don't need to create a thread where the sole purpose is to come in and condemn these kids to a life that I can almost certainly guarantee 95% of you have never experienced. They're going to experience the worst years of their lives coming up that's for sure.

Let he who is without sin...

I know you're just trolling, but this is what it would look like if a Lizard Squad member had an account on GAF.

You see, as an adult, people are going to have different opinions. What you're going to have to do is discuss and try and understand those differing opinions. You can't just call people out as a troll. Good luck in life my friend.

Arttemis

Perfect example right here.

Thank you sir.

So now you've found purpose in squatting in a thread that you've admitted you "find disturbing/disgusting" just to spout a stream of oppositional opinions, stir the pot, and reply to every dissent you come across?

Isn't that the definition of trolling?

joms5

So now you've found purpose in squatting in a thread that you've admitted you "find disturbing/disgusting" just to spout a stream of oppositional opinions, stir the pot, and reply to every dissent you come across?

Isn't that the definition of trolling?

Absolutely not. When you're discussing things with people, would it be proper etiquette to just leave in the middle of a conversation?

You may be fine with posting in a thread and then leaving. That would be trolling. This is discussing. And what am I trolling exactly? Because my opinion doesn't line up with yours?

Give me a break.

FYI, here's the definition for you. Was just a google away.

informal
make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

Top Bottom