• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Various Marvel vs. Capcom titles/DLC being delisted from XBL/PSN soon

Silky

Banned
At least people who really want MvC2 can get the DC version and UMvC3 isn't a digital only game like TMNT in time: Reshelled or that Outrun Online Arcade that are unavailable to anyone who don't have them already.

They delisted that shit-bomb? Good.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Bought the DLC on both platforms even though I don't have UMvC3 on PS3...yet. I'll find it, in the future. This is a massive shame T_T

Ban Puncher

$21.95 for MvC2 on the Australian PSN store, three bucks and change on the US one. And all the UMvC3 stuff has no discounts, PSN or XBL.

Golly gee, thanks Capcom.

Gartooth

Basically this is a giant PSA to anyone who hasn't gotten any DLC yet to download Shuma and Jill right now. This is a load of shit though, it could spell ill for tournaments in the future or for people that use those characters. I concur with the sentiment that the Shuma and Jill unlock keys should be sent out in a final patch, but does Capcom have to consult Marvel to even do something as little as that?

vg260

I wonder why UMVC was never made digital on PSN.

This was addressed by Capcom. XBLA GoD releases require no additional development work. It's just a paperwork submission essentially. PSN full games require additional dev work and submission process from the disc version. By the time they got the licensing issues holding up the XBL release, it was too late/too expensive/logistically difficult to do the dev work needed for the PSN version.

Is 9.99 the sale price for the full costume pack? Usually discounted items show their original price with a slash through it but these don't.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Is 9.99 the sale price for the full costume pack? Usually discounted items show their original price with a slash through it but these don't.
The full pack for every costume is usually $20, so it's 1/2 off. As tempting as it is to get some of those costumes, I can't bring myself to spend $10 on costumes that only change how someone looks when I can use that money to buy games or DLC that changes the gameplay. & for those who haven't seen them, here's all the alt costumes you can get.

Despite having them on XBLA, might as well grab MvC2 & MvC Origins since they're so cheap. Might get Shuma & Jill as well for my (signed) Vita copy and have a friend help me with some online trophies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So does the costume value pack get you every single DLC outfit? It says in the description that it doesn't include costumes for Magneto, Jill, or Shuma, so I dunno if you have to buy those separately, or if they just didn't make any.

Basically, my assumption here is that if I want all the DLC, it's the value pack, Shuma Gorath, and Jill... right?

Korigama

So does the costume value pack get you every single DLC outfit? It says in the description that it doesn't include costumes for Magneto, Jill, or Shuma, so I dunno if you have to buy those separately, or if they just didn't make any.

Basically, my assumption here is that if I want all the DLC, it's the value pack, Shuma Gorath, and Jill... right?
Alternate costumes are included automatically with Jill and Shuma. Magneto's was just cancelled altogether before ever being made available.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Shuma & Jill have their special alt. costumes if you buy them, so they're not included with the pack. Magneto's was removed on the ground that there was some controversy from Spain. So yes, getting Shuma, Jill, & the Value Pack nets you all the DLC for about $15.

G0523

So apparently the XBLA versions of these games and DLC will be on sale after the next update this Tuesday. This is just what I'm hearing from other forums so take it with a grain of salt.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So no one knows if the digital Vita version is going to be pulled? I guess the assumption is that he just forgot to mention it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So apparently the XBLA versions of these games and DLC will be on sale after the next update this Tuesday. This is just what I'm hearing from other forums so take it with a grain of salt.
Considering that's when Xbox Live updates with sales & such, that seems possible.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan

Okay, I'll just wait on the X360 versions, then.

G0523

So no one knows if the digital Vita version is going to be pulled? I guess the assumption is that he just forgot to mention it.

I don't think anyone knows. :( And someone said it's still $40 on the Vita store. But at least the DLC characters are available for Vita when you download them for PS3.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It didn't even seem that bad that there was no chance for a patch, but now that the game is getting killed off in terms of availability and reproduction is a real shame. This is the most varied Marvel with the most competitive roster and then this happens.

To be honest I can live with the way the game is now, even with Vergil & Zero, because they are beatable. Why I wouldn't want a patch is because Capcom confessed (at least for the Street Fighter 4 series) that they have characters that they purposely want good and they purposely want average/bad, and I don't trust them with that. Look at what they did to She-Hulk for example, or Sentinel before the game had time to grow. They did do some great improvements to some average characters, but still, they'd probably make some characters that could barely hang with the top much worse for no reason.

Maximus.

I like how they're on sale, rather than just free. They won't be able to sell them anymore after 2 weeks, but they gotta squeeze that cash from the fanbase right until the last dying breath.

Yea it sucks how business works!

Good thing I got marvel vs capcom 2 on sale with ps+ before it was too late!

I had a feeling that this would happen since this also was an issue with Marvel Ultimate Alliance. However, I didn't think it would happen this soon. I assumed there would be a couple of years left.

Silky

Banned
2CdIUR5.png

moKBAKQ.png

:(

Valnen

Either Marvel or Capcom are really being dicks here. Possibly both. I would like whoever is responsible for this to not be involved with this industry anymore.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Unless I'm mistaken this is the first significant fighting game with a community to be mechanically affected (character access) by the crap of the digital licensing agreement age.

Dali

It's not as though physical copies are exempt from the issues of licence expirations, though that said it does take quite a long time for all of the remaining units to dry up so there is some level of recourse there.
Not even close to the same thing. You can still find used copies of mvc 2. If something is DD only then there's no chance you'll see a used copy floating around decades later.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Unless I'm mistaken this is the first significant fighting game with a community to be mechanically affected (character access) by the crap of the digital licensing agreement age.
If it wasn't this, then it was going to eventually come down to how the patches work anyway.

I'm not sure how this sort of thing works on PS3, but 360 is the preferred console for tournament MvC3 anyway, and the way that small title updates work on 360 is appallingly stupid. You have no ability to manage how or where they're stored. They go straight to the system cache, where they stay until the 360 arbitrarily decides to overwrite it with new data. So, you might pop the UMvC3 disk into your console in the future, only to start it up and realize that all of the existing patches have been wiped from the system memory. Once this happens after Live for 360 is deactivated, you're shit out of luck as far as I can tell.

I assume it works this way because it's a holdover from the days when 360s without hard drives were a thing. Definitely sucks though. And I'm sure there have to be other games besides Marvel that are going to suffer for this.

G0523

Not even close to the same thing. You can still find used copies of mvc 2. If something is DD only then there's no chance you'll see a used copy floating around decades later.

Ohh shit. I just realized that with the delisting of MvC2, this means that the Dreamcast, PS2, and Xbox versions of the game will go back up in price.

Icarus

Either Marvel or Capcom are really being dicks here. Possibly both. I would like whoever is responsible for this to not be involved with this industry anymore.

I don't think there's any malice on either side. All licensing deals have a term. No one does deals that last "in perpetuity". Their deals are obviously ending and neither side is renewing. There's no foul play here.

Kai Dracon

I don't think there's any malice on either side. All licensing deals have a term. No one does deals that last "in perpetuity". Their deals are obviously ending and neither side is renewing. There's no foul play here.

The psuedo-malice here is Capcom's management deciding to keep two characters as separate DLC unlocks for the Ultimate edition of the game. They could have folded them into the roster but didn't.

Kai Dracon

The panic in here is pretty funny of course they will get the license again it's one of their biggest games.

You've got the tweet from combofiend declaring "this is it".

Of course they could always choose to renegotiate a license later; they could do anything technically. But Capcom has really treated the game like a red-headed stepchild after its sales disappointed them; no patches for the many glitches, etc.

Given how Kappacom behaves, there's good reason to be pessimistic.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The panic in here is pretty funny of course they will get the license again it's one of their biggest games.
Yeah none of this is indicative that there won't be an MvC4. Just that they're going to have to probably get a better contract next time around. The current state of affairs are shitty for a number of reasons, and it's more reasonable than other games that don't heavily lean on another license that this would happen and there would be little worth in renegotiating.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
The psuedo-malice here is Capcom's management deciding to keep two characters as separate DLC unlocks for the Ultimate edition of the game. They could have folded them into the roster but didn't.

Likely dictated by the terms of the contract, so I doubt it's that simple. Capcom's only guilty of negotiating a shitty contract.

I just realized, even if I order UMVC3 today on Amazon, I wouldn't get it in time to get the costume DLC. And what about the Heroes and Heralds? Even though that was free Day 1 DLC, will that be removed too?

Also, what's the word on MvC Origins?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I know there's cross-buy for the Sony console versions of UMvC3, but does it matter if I buy from the Vita or the PS3 first?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I just realized, even if I order UMVC3 today on Amazon, I wouldn't get it in time to get the costume DLC. And what about the Heroes and Heralds? Even though that was free Day 1 DLC, will that be removed too?

Download the DLC separately beforehand dawg.

Roto13

You don't need to own a game to buy its DLC. And Heroes and Heralds is a game update.

Top Bottom