• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vergil teased for DMC4:SE! (Also, DmC Definitive Edition trailer)

i-Jest

I'd like to celebrate the news of Vergil's return with the following:

vergil_dante_trigger_by_devilmayparadox-d4lfj2h.jpg

*breaths heavily*

So does anyone wonder if in DMC4SE that any of the items Nero gains from boss battles will actually do anything beyond having a cool description? I always wondered if that was left out when they rushed the game (like extra abilities gained or something)..

Dahbomb

So does anyone wonder if in DMC4SE that any of the items Nero gains from boss battles will actually do anything beyond having a cool description? I always wondered if that was left out when they rushed the game (like extra abilities gained or something)..
Well the ability you get from Credo Angelo actually is something cool but yeah most of the other stuff is pretty lame... it's just stuff to unlock the next area.

They really need to give Nero more combat tools in the SE.

I feel like I should replay the entirety of DMC4 again just to see where they can improve. I already made a big list before but I feel like I am still missing a lot. A lot of little things can be improved which would go a long way.

Unlike with DMC3, some of DMC4's problems aren't easily fixable. Can't redo the story, can't redo the mission design, can't change the last boss fight etc. So what they bring to the table with this SE is going to be really interesting. They better not half ass this.

Well the ability you get from Credo Angelo actually is something cool but yeah most of the other stuff is pretty lame... it's just stuff to unlock the next area.

I feel like I should replay the entirety of DMC4 again just to see where they can improve. I already made a big list before but I feel like I am still missing a lot. A lot of little things can be improved which would go a long way.

Unlike with DMC3, some of DMC4's problems aren't easily fixable. Can't redo the story, can't redo the mission design, can't change the last boss fight etc. So what they bring to the table with this SE is going to be really interesting. They better not half ass this.

What were the things DMC3SE fixed from the original (if any) as i only played and beat SE (played a bit of the original at a friends house but i didn't own the game or a system at that point *shrug*).

maybe it would be similar

Dahbomb

What were the things DMC3SE fixed from the original (if any).

maybe it would be similar
These were the changes:

*Vergil playable through Dante's missions and in Bloody Palace. We are getting this for DMC4SE as well most likely.

*Turbo mode. Already in DMC4SE so we will be getting this.

*Lock on Toggle on/off. DMC4 has this already.

*Bloody Palace mode. Already in DMC4.

*Reworked difficulty settings and a better checkpoint system. DMC4 doesn't need to change this at all, the difficulty settings are all fine what it needs is a difficulty above DMD like Gods Must Die for DmC.

*3 Jester boss fights (one required, 2 optional). This was a fully featured boss fight and each additional fight added new stuff I believe. DMC4SE should definitely give us at least one new boss fight.

*Demo Digest ie. Cutscene viewer.

*There were some minute changes done to some enemy behaviors and some of Dante's moves. I think Dullahans did one of their moves more frequently which was inconsequential as those enemies sucked anyway. They also changed the frames of some of the moves so you could cancel them from frequently with jump cancel (biggest change was on Swing).

*Some tweaks were made to the Super Dante/Vergil costumes where you couldn't abuse the health regain mechanic of it.

DMC4 has most of this stuff already so if it just gives that much stuff it would not really be impressive at all especially for something that is coming 7 years after the fact. They need to bring the goods.

Edit: There were more game play tweaks than that but because we only had DMC3 for less than a year it was hard to go back and re-confirm (plus most players hadn't gone full hard body on the game yet). It was really only stuff that the hardcore figured out. I am pretty sure one of them was that Rainstorm did more damage if you completed the whole sequence (so it actually become a solid damage skill as well).

Akiller

Just saw the jap dub trailer, was the Vergil line spoken by the original VA or the jap one?
Seeing a grown-up Version of Vergil with His DMC3 outfit is a bit odd, i don't Know if he'll be voice by His original VA ,i mean it'd like hearing uncle Dante voiced by his DMC3 VA xD

Well, you do seem to be a fucking celebrity in this town.

I think i understood that reference.
Also,Itsuno follows me Too rofl
I went fucking crazy when i saw he followed me back, i can send him a PM if i want,but i do not think i'll do it xD

After some drama, I have claimed the DMC4SE OT.

I'm absolutely crazy about it!

Lernaean

Banned
Also,Itsuno follows me Too rofl
I went fucking crazy when i saw he followed me back, i can send him a PM if i want,but i do not think i'll do it xD

Lol, what's with this guy (GOD) following his fans? He followed me too soon after i followed him, and i was screaming like a groupie XD

Gbraga

Did gunbo say anything about this?

EDIT: Chaser did a very short video, I wish he was around this parts >_>

Guy's pretty nice.

These were the changes:

*Vergil playable through Dante's missions and in Bloody Palace. We are getting this for DMC4SE as well most likely.

*Turbo mode. Already in DMC4SE so we will be getting this.

*Lock on Toggle on/off. DMC4 has this already.

*Bloody Palace mode. Already in DMC4.

*Reworked difficulty settings and a better checkpoint system. DMC4 doesn't need to change this at all, the difficulty settings are all fine what it needs is a difficulty above DMD like Gods Must Die for DmC.

*3 Jester boss fights (one required, 2 optional). This was a fully featured boss fight and each additional fight added new stuff I believe. DMC4SE should definitely give us at least one new boss fight.

*Demo Digest ie. Cutscene viewer.

*There were some minute changes done to some enemy behaviors and some of Dante's moves. I think Dullahans did one of their moves more frequently which was inconsequential as those enemies sucked anyway. They also changed the frames of some of the moves so you could cancel them from frequently with jump cancel (biggest change was on Swing).

*Some tweaks were made to the Super Dante/Vergil costumes where you couldn't abuse the health regain mechanic of it.

DMC4 has most of this stuff already so if it just gives that much stuff it would not really be impressive at all especially for something that is coming 7 years after the fact. They need to bring the goods.

Edit: There were more game play tweaks than that but because we only had DMC3 for less than a year it was hard to go back and re-confirm (plus most players hadn't gone full hard body on the game yet). It was really only stuff that the hardcore figured out. I am pretty sure one of them was that Rainstorm did more damage if you completed the whole sequence (so it actually become a solid damage skill as well).

Doesn't DMC4 PC also massively power up Super Dante so he's got basically infinite Pandora and Royal Guard bar?

I think it'd be neat for future DMC to include the ability to earn (equippable?) upgrades to your DT - like maybe equipping "lesser" styles like Doppelgänger and Quicksilver to your DT instead (sort of like how DmC's DTs each kinda represented one of those two).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think it'd be neat for future DMC to include the ability to earn (equippable?) upgrades to your DT - like maybe equipping "lesser" styles like Doppelgänger and Quicksilver to your DT instead (sort of like how DmC's DTs each kinda represented one of those two).

That seems dangerously close to DMC2's DT upgrade system. I kind of like DT properties being tied to specific Devil Arms.

Astral

Are there any cool DMC4 combo videos that aren't music videos? I wanna see some sick combos without any crazy music or obnoxious editing.

If you guys had to give Vergil 4 styles, what would they be?

One thing I liked in DmC was them giving Vergil Doppleganger, I always thought that and Quicksilver fit him more than Dante.

Darkslayer, Doppleganger, Quicksilver(would need to fleshed out more), and a 4th one. I had an idea about one based around his summoned swords, you could incorporate some the Lucifer devil arm mechanics into it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

One thing I liked in DmC was them giving Vergil Doppleganger, I always thought that and Quicksilver fit him more than Dante.

Darkslayer, Doppleganger, Quicksilver(would need to fleshed out more), and a 4th one. I had an idea about one based around his summoned swords, you could incorporate some the Lucifer devil arm mechanics into it.

I'd give him one based on counters and parries, since that's an important part of his boss design.

The design team said that they had to cut moves from Vergil in DMC3SE because they ran out of space. I imagine that a parry would have been one of them.

He needs at least a style like sword master. And pause combos... I hope they keep the yamato range from dmc 3 because it felt neutered in dmc 4.. not his umvc3 hit boxes though..

I'd give him one based on counters and parries, since that's an important part of his boss design.

The design team said that they had to cut moves from Vergil in DMC3SE because they ran out of space. I imagine that a parry would have been one of them.

Not that it'd be remotely balanced *or* stylish, but I kinda wish playable Vergil could do Million Orb somehow.

But yeah, parries would be a very damn big deal for his character.

DMC3SE Dark Slayer - as far as what the circle button does is concerned, and leaving out the phantom swords because they're basically a gun, not a style component - is a pretty lame style, all told, though it's nice to have something that's functionally quite close to Air Trick right from the start. Trick Up/Down are kinda not that great compared to Dante's level of versatility.

TreIII

Or we could just bring back specific accessories like the Bangle of Time. Same functionality, and wouldn't require a specific "style" all to itself.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
If you can beat DMC4 on Dante Must Die you are ok at the game. If you can beat Bloody Palace with both characters you are good. If you make crazy youtube montages obviously at that point you are great.

For me the thing with DMC4 Dante and why I suck at it is that I still cannot find a level of proficiency with that character I feel satisfied with, no matter how low it is. Found it with Nero, and with Dante in 3. His character in 4 just eludes me on a basic level.

Gbraga

Should have a true style gaf tournament when dmc 4 we launches

On launch I won't be able to do anything at all, haha. Too long without playing it. If Vergil is unlocked from the start, I'll try to learn him before going back to Uncle Dante.

Youtube and twitch will sure be a lot more lively now with the share features. It's a shame we can't record 60fps videos on PS4, though.

You can always mute the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sB3OGrDUG4

Here's one without music or any crazy editing.

Vergil's Styles in DMC4SE should be:

Doppelganger
Quicksilver
Royal Guard
Dark Slayer

Royal Guard is a playable version of the Parry he had in DMC3 as a boss.

Yep, that would be pretty boss.

I'd be curious to see Doppelgänger and Quicksilver fleshed out to become full styles with three full Circle-button moves, though (and maybe have some sort of separately-depleting meter, like RG, instead of consuming your DT?).

Come to think of it, Vergil using the RG meter to power Doppelgänger and Quicksilver would feel a hell of a lot like DMC3 Boss Vergil fully realized.

Dahbomb

This is me through various phases of DMC4:

*Beats Son of Sparda mode

ibnJhT5q4E21up.gif

*Beats DMD mode

iG6mdmmIKbCI5.gif

*Beats Bloody Palace mode with both characters having S rank

9d2fb44d7a3a7d76a987868d4d15f7c92dae9df86d0b635424b6670919d0ac13.jpg

*Beats DMD mode with S rank

so-much-win-starcraft-reaction.gif

*Watches some Youtube combo monsters going to work

2035_autoplay_gif_gif_vince_mcmahon_wwf.gif

Have you ever done a DMC video dahbomb?
On my Youtube channel, a collaboration video with Tatsumarublack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGCBLkZObVs

Excuse the quality though, those were primitive times.

Gbraga

Hahaha, exactly. You're all like "man, I'm godlike, holy shit I'm too good, give me twitch money", and then you go to youtube.

Astral

You can always mute the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sB3OGrDUG4

Here's one without music or any crazy editing.

Vergil's Styles in DMC4SE should be:

Doppelganger
Quicksilver
Royal Guard
Dark Slayer

Royal Guard is a playable version of the Parry he had in DMC3 as a boss.

I saw this video last night. Dante is so ridiculous in this. I was such ass with him. I remember barely being able to get an S during combat let alone SSS like I could do easily with Nero. We suck indeed.

I'm sure I'm the only weird guy who does this but in DMC3 I sometimes used to close my eyes and fight based off of the sound design alone, I was especially good with Vergil doing this.

Actually, meter stuff aside, here's how you do Vergil Doppelgänger with three different Style inputs and a lot of clever use of buffering/timing:

Level 1: press O -> launch a Doppelgänger wielding Yamato that follows all of your inputs regardless of which weapon you're using

Level 2: press L1+forward+O -> launch a Doppelgänger wielding Beowulf

Level 3: press L1+back+O -> launch a Doppelgänger wielding Force Edge

And maybe Quicksilver could have some semi-OP moves like bouncing all enemies within a radius into the air and slamming all enemies within a radius to the ground (in a sort of simultaneous reference to DmC's DT and Trick Up/Down), or something.

Dahbomb

My whole reason for making that video was to showcase some Nelo Angelo specific combos. Tatsamarublack was also making a combo video so we collaborated and combined our efforts. He has his own remixed version on his own channel of this combo video where he adds more of his own combos.

That was me at my peak skill... I have not reached that level again and probably will not ever.

At my peak skill, I still cannot do a lot of the stuff in DMC4.

Top Bottom