• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Wait, what?" Misheard things/gibberish heard in games

Hastati

Elite: Ahhhh, woogem ow!

Ohhhh okay, yeah that makes a lot more uh...yeah. I guess I inverted the sounds in my mind, but it still reminds me of Lion King Song XD I think there are a number of other really weird sounds that made similar impressions.

I was kinda sad when they started translating all of their dialogue, it was awesome having the grunts as the only communicable voice of the covenant.

Symphonia

Banned
When I shot one of the villagers in RE4, I misheard their Spanish and thought they said "You're my sister!" which I found both confusing and highly entertaining.

"Too Bad: You Lost A New Key"

F-Zero X when dying. I used to think there was an unlockable for not dying, a "new key" or something, but obviously not.

I think he's saying "Your machine" but it sounds like A Wookie, or "New Key" or something.

Georome

In Street Fighter Alpha 3, Guile had a super move where I swear he screamed "Soniiiiiiiiic HOEDOWN!"

I never looked up what it was really supposed to be. I'm clinging to my Sonic Hoedown.

Also Marth's taunt in Smash Bros Melee
"Eon! Me save the day!"

My 13 year old ears knew he was speaking Japanese, but still tried to make sense of it. It's funny years later I'd learn he's basically saying "Hey everyone, look at me!" and it makes the taunt pretty funny.

Persona 4 - "Heartbeat, Heartbreak"

Tell me why you're dirty, electric phone in the butt
Tell me why you're dirty out to the corners
Still like it, still like it, oh! Baby, I need Jello
Looking so different, bloody streetlight
Happy, happy, taking some pounding
Heartbreak, heartbreak, you tell me koopa

I'm dying here. Anyone who likes anime and Japanese games are familiar with this because I swear every song I hear in them has like 5 words I can make out.

I'm also jealous someone brought up "MUTTON, FRESSSHHHH MUTTON!" already.

I couldn't find a clip but I'd add the GameOver screen of Bayonetta. I always thought she was saying "THE SHADOW REMAINNNSSS.. TOUGH!"

Persona 4 - "Heartbeat, Heartbreak"

Tell me why you're dirty, electric phone in the butt
Tell me why you're dirty out to the corners
Still like it, still like it, oh! Baby, I need Jello
Looking so different, bloody streetlight
Happy, happy, taking some pounding
Heartbreak, heartbreak, you tell me koopa

I like your version better. But..

Tell me why you did it Every dream falling apart
Tell me why you did it After the promise
Still aching still aching Oh baby I need your love
Looking so different Glaring street light

Heartbeat Heartbeat It keeps on pounding
Heartbeat Heartbreak You tell me goodbye

Mshvsf-wolverine.gif

Burt come fix my garage!

In the german dub to Kingdom Hearts 2, Goofy would always yell "Frodo!" when doing a certain attack. Still have no clue what the hell he's supposedly saying.

When I was younger, my dad asked me what game I am playing where the guy yells - "Throw that fire!". Turns out it was Dhalsim, from SF2, doing the Yoga Fire. Never heard it the original way ever again, in every single SF game since.

In MvC3, with Thor, one of his hypers has him yelling "By Odin's Beard!", but the "D" is barely audible, if at all. So Thor became a spokesman for his Dad's brewing company. "Buy Odin's Beer!"

No no no.

Hurricane kick definitely says:

"I have sex with myuuuuutants"

Ike in Brawl during his final smash, sounds as though he's mentally handicapped, and shouts "Grreeeaaaaat.. PIIIZZZZAAAAA!!"

Medal of Honor Frontline (Gamecube):

"Nehmt ihn von hinten!" (take him from behind)
"Ami Schwein!!" (american pork)
"Ami Sau!!" (american pig)

and my favourite "Hans, bist du's?" (Hans, is it you?)

Muffdraul

Xenosaga Ep 1, whenever MOMO casts an ether: "Mystic powers, threaten the puritans!"

mystic powers, grant me a miracle

PBalfredo

"Too Bad: You Lost A New Key"

F-Zero X when dying. I used to think there was an unlockable for not dying, a "new key" or something, but obviously not.

I think he's saying "Your machine" but it sounds like A Wookie, or "New Key" or something.

Ooooh. That makes sense.

I always thought he was saying "You lost unity". Like he was saying your racer fell to pieces in a roundabout google-translate sort of way.

iPKOu9fOdholC.jpg

Raiden's superman move in any of the Mortal Kombats. Me and my friends just used to yell gibberish.

It's not quite gibberish, I think part of it is him saying is name. It sounds to me like "Raiden babaleh, Raiden babalu", like the Desi Arnaz song of the same name as seen on I Love Lucy.

linko9

F-Zero GX when you set up the acceleration - max speed balance of your car.

groovy_taxi.jpg

Announcer says something like 'Grand Set the Fourth Set blabla..' .. never been able to make it out.

Yeah, no kidding. Everything that announcer says is incomprehensible. I remember "you can use your machine to enter in" and "grand console rewards center"... which of course is not what he's saying, but damned if I'll ever know.

I was told he is speaking Mayan. Someone actually translated it too.

"K'iinam took ool!" = Head will ache and burn.
"Tookik taali!" = Come burn.
"A'alik Beora!" = Dance now.

The more you know. :D

That is legitimately pretty cool.

I'll make sure to refer back to this post once I fight him in Majora's Mask 3D.

dorikyasu

the NPC pedestrians in Lego Marvel Super Heroes will often yell out something I've heard as "
Shit Party!
"
Took me a while to realize it was supposed to be "
Watch it Buddy!
". lol

sugarless

In the secret Level 0 of Toejam & Earl, my friend was adamant that the hula girls (Who were saying "Aloha") were in fact saying "Hello, Earl.". He didn't quite register that they said that to Toejam, too.

A different friend of mine interpreted it as "Psychic Hurricane"

As kids we heard it as "Don't bite my verruca". Made sense since he was shoving his feet in people's faces. Of course the instruction manuals taught us it was TATSU-MAKI-SEN-PUU-KYAKU.

Timeaisis

Street Fighter IV - Abel during his roll move (Marseilles roll, I think).
Sounds like he's saying "Bic Soleil", but I doubt he'd be one to advertise during combat.

Top Bottom