• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 PS4 Pro - First Look/Analysis | Digital Foundry

People noticing and complaining about FPS drops... did you know console gaming? It was surely expected.

(and I'm biased to console gaming).

I don't know man, but having twice the resolution with some dips to 27 fps here and then (we are talking about an open world game after all) seems like a fair trade off and a vast improvement overall.

I'll pick this up.

Fisty

I don't know man, but having twice the resolution with some dips to 27 fps here and then (we are talking about an open world game after all) seems like a fair trade off and a vast improvement overall.

I'll pick this up.

Get your even-handed reasoning out of this thread

Boke1879

They absolutely could and should.

No one. Not Sony, MS or Nintendo would tell Ubisoft their game failed cert and could miss it's launch on a major platform for 3 frame drops here or there. Unless it's something game breaking no company would do this.

I dunno what Sony can do but this really isn't a good look for the Pro...

I'm not defending this or saying it should be fixed. Ubi should definitely release a patch that corrects this. But it's a few frame drops in what looks like a nice looking game. It doesn't seem to be something that'll hinder most people's enjoyment of the game.

Fisty

Oh, that's just Etta. No PS4, but feels the intense need to come to every Pro thread to let us know how good Scorpio is going to be when it launches in twelve months.

4.2TF is having framerate trouble with 1800p, but I bet the 6TF Scorpio would run this at 4k60 locked

I'll pick this up.

No leeway is allowed here.
I don't like the decreased performances in exchange for better visuals, but as long as it is minor I won't blow a gasket.

People noticing and complaining about FPS drops... did you know console gaming? It was surely expected.
That's the Pro's audience though. People that notice that stuff.

And it certainly wasn't expected that Pro patched games would have more performance issues than the normal PS4 releases.

Boke1879

And it certainly wasn't expected that Pro patched games would have more performance issues than the normal PS4 releases.

Not defending it but base PS4 games also don't look as good. And I'm not trying to shit on devs when I say this, but I would not be shocked if it was some devs just doing the bare minimum right now in regards to 4k. Like "just up the res and throw in some particles" and not really taking time to optimize it.

When you see TF2, COD, BF1, ratchet and even a FFXV demo...a game many thought would look and run like shit is doing it right. I gotta assume Ubi needs to patch it.

ron_bato

Over 4 fps in 1 game?

To be fair, there are other games that have also shown poor performance.

I've been happy with my Pro purchase, but I've stuck to games where the implementation has gone smoothly (BF 1 in particular is excellent).

That said, the promise of a premium product for the more 'discerning' gamer was made, and for some people they really need Sony to deliver on that.

Waiting it out to see how this all plays out, is something that I completely understand. Hopefully this all gets sorted out, because this isn't something that should happen (as stated in Sony's guidelines for the Pro).

Does it have more performance issues? Or does it have an issue with performance in a particular instance?

I'd prefer an analysis of an average playtime, there was another YouTuber who used to do that for PS4 vs XB1 face offs.

Sony gave these developers a box with a lot of power, its generally up to them how they use it. Some aren't using it properly, that's on them.

That's on them, yes. But that is a pretty shit value proposition on Sony's part, to an existing ps4 owner. You would think Sony would try a little harder than that to get people to upgrade.

jett

D-Member
PS4 Pro dropping more frames and screen tearing in stress test areas in comparison to the base PS4

This shit again, huh.

0200_q6wm.gif

edit: I miss the days when Digital Foundry had written articles filled with a bunch of full-res pictures.

Devs join hands and say it with me:

If 👏 your 👏 game 👏 runs 👏 worse 👏 on 👏 pro

Lower 👏 the 👏 resolution 👏 a bit 👏 bro

You 👏 don't 👏 have 👏 to make 👏 your game 👏 1800p

1440 👏 is 👏 fine 👏 with 👏 me

Just make it an option to disable supersampling. That way the game runs at 1080p with better hardware

etta

my hard graphic balls
Oh, that's just Etta. No PS4, but feels the intense need to come to every Pro thread to let us know how good Scorpio is going to be when it launches in twelve months.

Just because you don't like what I'm posting doesn't make it trolling or invalidate the central argument. I haven't had any mods telling me to discontinue, which tells me the points I am making are valid and fine to be posted. The only people complaining about my arguments have been those who heavily lean Sony, and in fact a mod had to step in and tell them to discontinue the "witch hunt", so your opinion of my intents is pretty weightless as long as you've got those hate goggles on.

As for the topic at hand, I see other people raising the same arguments as me, so I am not concerned about being an outlier.

Boke1879

That's on them, yes. But that is a pretty shit value proposition on Sony's part, to an existing ps4 owner. You would think Sony would try a little harder than that to get people to upgrade.

I mean Sony can't patch WD for Ubi. Also from many accounts. These games are looking great and the performance hits in these games seem to be minimal. I mean looking and BF1 and TF2 looking and running great is probably getting a lot of people to upgrade. Also in regards to WD2. I don't think a few frame drops here and there in an open world game really registers to much of the public when they'll be more happy with the visual upgrades.

Then you will be missing out on games with great improvements like BF1, Titanfall, TR, etc. If the developer has an ounce of dignity they would put the small effort to make this right. No one is forcing Ubi to make it 1800p.

If I was a dev I would have a 1080p 60fps option as well, it wouldn't take much time at all. But its Ubisoft. EA is having a much better showing with Pro. Also Ratchet had nothing but improvements and the game already came out, it wasn't in development so you know they didn't spend too much time on it. Ubi being Ubi.

Sony gave these developers a box with a lot of power, its generally up to them how they use it. Some aren't using it properly, that's on them.

NO i'll just play those games on my PS4 ..; this is just a wait and see situation. If those problems are fixed , i'll play those games again on my PS4 pro.

jett

D-Member
Devs join hands and say it with me:

If 👏 your 👏 game 👏 runs 👏 worse 👏 on 👏 pro

Lower 👏 the 👏 resolution 👏 a bit 👏 bro

You 👏 don't 👏 have 👏 to make 👏 your game 👏 1800p

1440 👏 is 👏 fine 👏 with 👏 me

1800p checkerboard is actually a lower resolution that "real" 1440p.

There shouldn't be any compromise with the pro. If developers are already trading framerate against resolution, maybe they will trade effects and other settings too.

Tha attractiveness of the pro over pc gaming is that you don't have to trade settings. You get the absolute best console experience no matter what. Surely 2x more the gpu power should have been enough...

Syranth

People need to relax a bit. These are software issues, not hardware issues. The developers need to get their head strait and things will be better. Us PC folks are used to this and it eventually irons out. I remember when PC games went to widescreen and devs couldn't make it work to save their life.

Before you say, "It's the hardware that can't make it work because of ram, or something, yadda yadda yadda..." there will always be some sort of limitation. Devs need to practice and if Sony did one bad thing it's that they sprung this on developers (although we all knew it was coming).

Lots of these "Pro supported at launch" titles are typical launch mistakes and cash ins to get you to buy their games. They will eventually see other devs make better Pro options (looking at you Tomb Raider Devs) and work those in.

With that said of the four games that aren't running well I'm not surprised based on their track history. A Bethesda game with issues? You don't say. An Ubisoft game with issues? You don't say! A Naughty Dog game having issues is a bit more of an issue but it's minor and looks easily patchable.

Lastly, you have to filter out the skeptics that in reality just can't afford the Pro and are happier that there are some launch issues so they don't feel as bad. It happens with every type of purchase. Hey, I've done it too plenty of times.

People need to relax a bit. These are software issues, not hardware issues. The developers need to get their head strait and things will be better. Us PC folks are used to this and it eventually irons out. I remember when PC games went to widescreen and devs couldn't make it work to save their life.

Before you say, "It's the hardware that can't make it work because of ram, or something, yadda yadda yadda..." there will always be some sort of limitation. Devs need to practice and if Sony did one bad thing it's that they sprung this on developers (although we all knew it was coming).

Lots of these "Pro supported at launch" titles are typical launch mistakes and cash ins to get you to buy their games. They will eventually see other devs make better Pro options (looking at you Tomb Raider Devs) and work those in.

With that said of the four games that aren't running well I'm not surprised based on their track history. A Bethesda game with issues? You don't say. An Ubisoft game with issues? You don't say! A Naughty Dog game having issues is a bit more of an issue but it's minor and looks easily patchable.

Lastly, you have to filter out the skeptics that in reality just can't afford the Pro and are happier that there are some launch issues so they don't feel as bad. It happens with every type of purchase. Hey, I've done it too plenty of times.

This.

The games and devs that have already done it well have some amazing looking games running well on this thing already.

Just because you don't like what I'm posting doesn't make it trolling or invalidate the central argument. I haven't had any mods telling me to discontinue, which tells me the points I am making are valid and fine to be posted. The only people complaining about my arguments have been those who heavily lean Sony, and in fact a mod had to step in and tell them to discontinue the "witch hunt", so your opinion of my intents is pretty weightless as long as you've got those hate goggles on.

As for the topic at hand, I see other people raising the same arguments as me, so I am not concerned about being an outlier.

You do not have any valid personal concerns because you don't and never had any interest in buying the product. You are just making arguments against buying one and those are two completely different things. I have no need to call you out specifically because you have become quite infamous. ;)

Surfheart

I love how House said this was a mid gen refresh to stop people leaving for PC, when in actual fact they once again undercooked the hardware and these types of issues will no doubt push some people towards a PC

You do not have any valid personal concerns because you don't and never had any interest in buying the product. You are just making arguments against buying one. Two different things.

Huh, I thought this was a PS4 pro Watchdogs 2 first look analysis. I mean it says theoretical Scorpio analysis right in the thread title....wait..../s

Audiophile

+30% CPU, +130% GPU along with architectural improvements, +25% Bandwidth, +10% Usable Memory.

Yet with 40% extra native pixels and negligible graphical improvements, it's performing slightly worse.

Something's gotta be up..?

Awesome points.

Will add to that that RotTR Pro specific features were a combo of timing (porting it just before launch) and morivation (releasing a year after a controversial exclusivity deal). All that said, great job there, that game looks bananas on Pro.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

I'll pick this up.
But I didn't want twice the resolution. I wanted 60fps.

low-G

+30% CPU, +130% GPU along with architectural improvements, +25% Bandwidth, +10% Usable Memory.

Yet with 40% extra native pixels and negligible graphical improvements, it's performing slightly worse.

Something's gotta be up..?

Except the resolution boost is about on par with the equivalent jump from one PC HW to the next on those gains... Not all computations are linear.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
But I didn't want twice the resolution. I wanted 60fps.

People want both. Even if they can't have both. Just the way it is.

There will always be games that satisfy one or the other and the most instantly noticeable thing that gets people to buy are graphics. The general public including those that play games are more attracted to pretty than hearing 60fps.

Hatty

I was told that framerates would be more stable not less. Kinda regretting my impulse buy. Hope Persona 5 doesn't run or look worse somehow like World of Final Fantasy

HeelPower

The main reason I wanted a pro was bettet framrate at 1080p.

But 90% of devs and Sony itself are prioritizing upscaling to 4k,to the degree that the performance ends up being worse!!!!

Everyone keeps talking about how CPU is always bottlenecked and sony forces parity on multiplayer titles.

This is all really,really disappointing.You still gotta go with PC if you want better Framerate.

I thought Sony had some sort of mandate that the games couldn't perform worse. I'm gonna let these issues sort themselves out before I take a plunge.

I was told that framerates would be more stable not less. Kinda regretting my impulse buy. Hope Persona 5 doesn't run or look worse somehow like World of Final Fantasy

COD, Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 all have more stable framerates on the Pro while also looking much better and those are all 60fps games. If it runs worse it is because of decisions the devs made.

HeelPower

4.2TF is having framerate trouble with 1800p, but I bet the 6TF Scorpio would run this at 4k60 locked

I think we should stop saying this.

This thread is proof that it doesnt matter what power you have,if the devs arent priotizing performance its not gonna happen,regardless of how many TFs you have.

Top Bottom