• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 PS4 Pro - First Look/Analysis | Digital Foundry

ufo8mycat

All this needs is Tomb Raider type options

Option 1) 1600p mode (drop from 1800p to allow stable 30fps) checkerboard up to 4K

Option 2) 1080p & Enriched mode 30fps - Added visual effects, more detailed textures, more foliage, draw distance etc

Option 3) 1080p Performance mode - Base PS4 settings but with higher frame rate

Done fixed

Option 1) 1600p mode (drop from 1800p to allow stable 30fps) checkerboard up to 4K

Option 2) 1080p & Enriched mode 30fps - Added visual effects, more detailed textures, more foliage, draw distance etc

Done fixed
That is a deal more work than just checking for the PS4 Pro and increasing the resolution if present.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Done fixed
Except TR currently has fps issues on the Pro.

Haines

Banned
This is getting riduliculous.

Runs worse on the more powerful hardware?

I won't support that nonsense and hope games are done better sooner than later.

Ubisoft games are never without their jank. At this point, I'd feel let down if they released a game that ran perfectly.

What games are having Pro issues? I've played a few and haven't seen anything concerning. Maybe I'm just playing the right ones?

golem

So 4 games run worse on the Pro now.

Watch Dogs 2, Skyrim, Dishonored 2, and Deus Ex.

TLOUR performs worse as well. And UC4 is 1440p with frame drops. Hopefully future titles fare better but it seems like developers who were expecting to flip a switch and hit 1800p checkerboarded have a new set of hurdles to overcome.

Aren't you getting better textures, lighting, IQ, all that JAZZ on the Pro Version?

I kind of understand why it would dip every now and then if that's the case. Maybe they should turn down some settings?

Is 4K mode any better?

Done fixed

Option 4) Run as if running on PS4 - don't break it if its not broken - turn off Pro mode

Give all the options to the gamer and let them decide how to play

Skux

Devs have apparently set their expectations way too high and just crossed their fingers that no one would notice.

For decent 1440p30 performance you're looking at at least GTX 970 levels of power with an i5-level CPU. And suddenly Ubisoft wants to take on 1800p with lesser hardware?

etta

my hard graphic balls
I do. But discussing Project Scorpio in our context is irrelevant at this point. We've only seen a CG render. And announcing something early doesn't really promise anything in regards to patches, does it?
It's not guaranteed, but you can't deny that it's a good thing. Even if Phil lied and devkits are still not out, devs still have an idea, a target spec, a performance bar. That and coupled with the fact that it will use the same APIs as the base console, devs can formulate estimations much better. Hell, they can probably use a PC with that spec since the UWP stuff is in play now, and refine the build on the devkits.

Haines

Banned
Aren't you getting better textures, lighting, IQ, all that JAZZ on the Pro Version?

I kind of understand why it would dip every now and then if that's the case. Maybe they should turn down some settings?

Is 4K mode any better?

You essentially get better resolution and some frame drops in most situations.

Some games offer some better things yes.

The problem is some games essentially give you a better resolution but than suffer in performance which is bullshit

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
PS4 Pro performance is really disappointing. I've been resisting getting one due to lack of UHD BluRay but this is just helping enforce it. Image quality does look good though.

I'm sure this will get sorted with patches and because it's early games,

I ordered a ps4 pro but I'm not actually getting it until Christmas so we will see how things shake out.

So were those leaked rules Sony gave to developers just bullshit? Pro games obviously don't have to run equally or better compared to their regular PS4 counterparts, and I'm reading that apparently it isn't even mandatory for all games to have Pro modes from here on out.

I'm really feeling like an idiot for upgrading right now.

So were those leaked rules Sony gave to developers just bullshit? Pro games obviously don't have to run equally or better compared to their regular PS4 counterparts, and I'm reading that apparently it isn't even mandatory for all games to have Pro modes from here on out.

I'm really feeling like an idiot for upgrading right now.

Early adopter generally eat shit, The next round of games in early 2017 will likely perform better.

Boke1879

Early adopter generally eat shit, The next round of games in early 2017 will likely perform better.

These games that run worse are probably a patch away from being "fixed".

And this does need to be fixed, but most gamers won't even notice or care about a few frame drops here and there. the IQ, increased resolution, draw distance and enhanced effects will be what people are drawn to.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I don't understand why you can't just play ps4 base modes.
Maybe that would disincetivize developers to spend time and effort on a Pro mode?
"Eh, it's not very stable, people can just turn on the base PS4 mode if they want the better performance"

Well, that seems kind of shitty, but the video seems to suggest it's pretty minor, so I guess it's a case of visuals taking precedence here without proper care given to performance optimisation to go with them(As per), which would be fine if they had alternate options for Pro modes like other games, but apparently it doesn't? What are you doing Ubisoft?

I can see a patch happening pretty quick given the game's profile.

In a way it's good that Scorpio was announced so early, so devs aren't rushing the patches for launch-window releases. That should minimize these types of issues.

Like the system warrior version of an ambulance chaser.

It's kinda disgusting. The main reason I bought the pro was having the peace of mind that I will get the superior version in both resolution and framerate no matter what. I thought that finally, I could purchase a game blindly and not wait for the DF analysis and benchmarks before giving my money to devs. That was also the reason why I chose to support the PS4 against the Xbox One in 2013.

I thought that with the pro, I will never ever suffer from unstable framerate. Seeing that things will be worse than on OG PS4 is a big bummer. I was okay with the no upgrade for non patched games before this, but if even new patched games are not getting upgraded in every way for the Pro, there's really no point to be an early upgrader.

The worst is that it could be easily fixed by lowering the resolution. Sony message with the Pro is wrong. They are only focusing on 4k users instead of offering a "Pro experience", wich means the absolute best versions of ps4 games.

Well, that seems kind of shitty, but the video seems to suggest it's pretty minor, so I guess it's a case of visuals taking precedence here without proper care given to performance optimisation to go with them(As per), which would be fine if they had alternate options for Pro modes like other games, but apparently it doesn't? What are you doing Ubisoft?
I don't consider tearing to be pretty minor.

The worst is that it could be easily fixed by lowering the resolution. Sony message with the Pro is wrong. They are only focusing on 4k user instead of offering a "Pro experience", wich means the absolute best versions of ps4 games.
Their marketing also refers to boosted framerates though, but it seems like there is nothing dependable about these Pro patches.

Well i'll just postpone my PS4 pro purchase by 2 or 3 months untill i see what is the trend for all those releases ( any patches , any future releases with or without the same problems ).

It's disapointing really.

Then you will be missing out on games with great improvements like BF1, Titanfall, TR, etc. If the developer has an ounce of dignity they would put the small effort to make this right. No one is forcing Ubi to make it 1800p.

If I was a dev I would have a 1080p 60fps option as well, it wouldn't take much time at all. But its Ubisoft. EA is having a much better showing with Pro. Also Ratchet had nothing but improvements and the game already came out, it wasn't in development so you know they didn't spend too much time on it. Ubi being Ubi.

Sony gave these developers a box with a lot of power, its generally up to them how they use it. Some aren't using it properly, that's on them.

These games that run worse are probably a patch away from being "fixed".

And this does need to be fixed, but most gamers won't even notice or care about a few frame drops here and there. the IQ, increased resolution, draw distance and enhanced effects will be what people are drawn to.

I know they will likely be patched soon and fine. I also understand people that bought a new console for improved performance would be upset about this. Seems like Sony delivered kits too late for these Fall games to optimized at launched. Not sure what they were hiding since the leaked specs were available in the first part of the year.

So who's at fault here?

The hardware provider or the software provider?

The thing I don't understand with the Pro vs whatever else is....the Pro is just the hardware. Saying it's not a buy because software is running like crap on it which has nothing do with complicated apis etc etc just doesn't make sense to me. Like maybe I'm thinking about this too broadly but is this argument used when some games run poorly on specific graphic cards?

I'm just not sure who really needs to do what here. I think this is solely on ubisoft to fix this...I'm not seeing what more Sony could do when they gave them all the tools to make this right.

Has DF done a single faceoff with Pro vs Bone yet? I dont really want to give them hits but I'm curious if they are still the same ol DF.

Boke1879

I know they will likely be patched soon and fine. I also understand people that bought a new console for improved performance would be upset about this. Seems like Sony delivered kits too late for these Fall games to optimized at launched. Not sure what they were hiding since the leaked specs were available in the first part of the year.

Don't think they were hiding anything. Again it comes down to the developer. BF1, TF2, COD IW,Ratchet, hell even a FFXV demo to name a few it showing quite frankly how it should be done.

I mean maybe Ubi just upped the res and just called it a day instead of putting in a little extra time to make sure it was optimized as far as framerate goes. I mean the game definitely looks good on pro.

Vinc

So who's at fault here?

The hardware provider or the software provider?

The thing I don't understand with the Pro vs whatever else is....the Pro is just the hardware. Saying it's not a buy because software is running like crap on it which has nothing do with complicated apis etc etc just doesn't make sense to me. Like maybe I'm thinking about this too broadly but is this argument used when some games run poorly on specific graphic cards?

I'm just not sure who really needs to do what here. I think this is solely on ubisoft to fix this...I'm not seeing what more Sony could do when they gave them all the tools to make this right.

There are supposed to be certification guidelines to prevent this from happening

Don't think they were hiding anything. Again it comes down to the developer. BF1, TF2, COD IW,Ratchet, hell even a FFXV demo to name a few it showing quite frankly how it should be done.

I mean maybe Ubi just upped the res and just called it a day instead of putting in a little extra time to make sure it was optimized as far as framerate goes. I mean the game definitely looks good on pro.

True, but even Respawn said the received dev kits late in the process. I don't think it was optimal for anyone, but some definitely handled it better than others.

Fisty

There are supposed to be certification guidelines to prevent this from happening

No, there are Sony's suggestions about what they should do and how they could do it. Sony can't force devs to lock 30fps just like Sony can't force devs to support the TouchPad.

I'm beginning to think that games where a high performance/framerate option is given will be in the extreme minority. Looks like we're going to see a lot of games just use the extra GPU power to increase resolution. The problem is that they seem to be overshooting on a few of these games and creating performance which is actually a touch worse.

Maybe this game should have gone with 1440p instead of 1800 or something. I still would like to see a 1080p, unlocked/60fps option.

cakely

Wow...again
This is ubisoft we are talking about but the ball is also in sonys court

Sony is not really giving people a good reason to upgrade are they??

Games run worse than base ps4

Console is just as loud as base ps4

Psvr games are all pretty much minigame or short game experiences with bad pricing

Personally feel sony has shot themselves in the foot here...you have a half step console that in 12 months is going to get trounced by a much more powerful console

They should of just stuck with the slim and made sure it was on par with the xbox one s in terms of features.

I would really hope this is joke post, but the fanboys have really been out in force lately.

I would really hope this is joke post, but the fanboys have really been out in force lately.

Fanboys have been salivating to post in any topic remotely negative about PS4 Pro. Some of them can't even be discreet and have to mention Scorpio definitely won't have these launch issues...

Boke1879

True, but even Respawn said the received dev kits late in the process. I don't think it was optimal for anyone, but some definitely handled it better than others.

No doubt and like others have stated some are probably overshooting with the res. Either way I think if anyone is on the fence they should honestly just wait.

Personally I'm waiting until Horizon comes out before I get mine. I don't have a 4k TV and I should have all of that stuff by the time Horizon launches.

I'll get a slim for BF.

cakely

Fanboys have been salivating to post in any topic remotely negative about PS4 Pro. Some of them can't even be discreet and have to mention Scorpio definitely won't have these launch issues...

Oh, that's just Etta. No PS4, but feels the intense need to come to every Pro thread to let us know how good Scorpio is going to be when it launches in twelve months.

Top Bottom