• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1 Elite Controller ($150)

sangreal

So i just picked up this controller and I am having issues getting used to the paddles. My question is:

1. Can i swap the position of the short paddles to these the long paddles currently exist ? (does it matter where each paddle lives as they appear to be physically the same)

2. Does orientation of the paddles matter ? I can flip a paddle by placing it on the opposite side.

Will any of the above cause any issues or harm the controller. I have never been this paranoid with a controller... then again Ive never owned a controller so fancy!

Thanks GAF

1. Absolutely
2. No, the orientation does not matter. They are designed to be reversible. This gives you more distance between the controller and the lever.

The whole idea is that you can move them around however you feel most comfortable. Enjoy

Wallach

You can mostly use the paddles in any orientation you prefer, though having the longer paddles on the top I think will overlap the shorter paddles on the bottom if they aren't flipped to curve upwards.

ez3c

Neo Member
Thank you for the answers!. I appreciate the quick feedback!

Are there any configurations which will actually harm the controller ? Sorry to be paranoid, but i cannot afford another :)

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Thank you for the answers!. I appreciate the quick feedback!

Are there any configurations which will actually harm the controller ? Sorry to be paranoid, but i cannot afford another :)

No you are fine. I had the same issue. I actually only use 2 paddles on the bottom. I couldn't get my brain use to using all of my fingers like that. I kept confusing my trigger finger and middle fingers. So I started out learning one paddle and then adding another after I got the first one down. I use the short paddles on the bottom, nothing on the top.

MIMF

Does the Razer Wildcat feel sturdy and well made?

Yes, the quality of the controller regarding the materials is good enough I guess. It does not feel cheap at all, not premium either.

What I can say is total crap is the sticky grip, absolutely impossible to fit as the official pictures show because the grip material is elastic and there are no guides at all of where to start. If you try to put it as you wrap a book cover, you end up with the other side of the grip completly outside its place.

Also even when placed the feel is bad, the edges of the grip are uncomfortable because they are larger than the sticky part below.

I removed it after some minutes using it, this kind of sticker for a 150$+ controller is a shame, for me the worst part by far of the controller.

Vitacat

Razer Wildcat has some nice features. I like the built in volume controls for one thing. But in most respects it doesn't seem as good as the Elite.

MIMF

Razor Wildcat has some nice features. I like the built in volume controls for one thing. But in most respects it doesn't seem as good as the Elite.

Yes, it has really good things despite its flaws.

The feel of the front buttons, the extra shoulder buttons and the ones at the back (trigger shape but they are a digital button) is awesome.

Also the way to remap the extra buttons on the fly is in my opinion much better than using an app as you have to do with the elite.

Also and for me its biggest advantage over the elite is the design of the extra buttons, after many hours messing around with the elite paddles I always end up removing them because I keep pressing them by mistake at some point in the middle of a firefight when playing halo5 for instance. With the Razer Wildact design, this is not an issue and after the first minutes using it I felt perfectly comfortable using the four extra buttons remapped to where I want.

Vitacat

I think it's pretty exciting to finally have premium controls offering all sorts of choices. More evidence that video gaming as a hobby is maturing.

So far the Elite is the best I've seen, and I purchased two. I wonder if Sony will respond.

As for the paddles - I've had a pretty positive experience with them. Played through the campaigns of Halo 1,2,3,ODST, and most of Reach using them, and love the higher level of control they offer.

For games where I don't use them I just turn them off. Not sure if everyone knows, but double-pressing the green connect button on the rear will toggle them on and off.

Yes, it has really good things despite its flaws.

The feel of the front buttons, the extra shoulder buttons and the ones at the back (trigger shape but they are a digital button) is awesome.

Also the way to remap the extra buttons on the fly is in my opinion much better than using an app as you have to do with the elite.

Also and for me its biggest advantage over the elite is the design of the extra buttons, after many hours messing around with the elite paddles I always end up removing them because I keep pressing them by mistake at some point in the middle of a firefight when playing halo5 for instance. With the Razer Wildact design, this is not an issue and after the first minutes using it I felt perfectly comfortable using the four extra buttons remapped to where I want.
I agree about the paddles but after awhile, your fingers get used to them. Kind of like (using halo as an example) switching from default to bumper jumper. At first its hard because of muscle memory but you will adjust

MIMF

I agree about the paddles but after awhile, your fingers get used to them. Kind of like (using halo as an example) switching from default to bumper jumper. At first its hard because of muscle memory but you will adjust

I have really tried it, but it is impossible for me to grab the elite controller comfortably even with just two paddles attached and concentrate on playing without touching a paddle by mistake at some point... maybe my hands are just too big.

I have really tried it, but it is impossible for me to grab the elite controller comfortably even with just two paddles attached and concentrate on playing without touching a paddle by mistake at some point... maybe my hands are just too big.

run through campaign. i switched the paddles to jump and thrust. took me about 3hours of campaign to get used to it. just jump and thrust all over

SFenton

Got two of 'em from the MS Store this weekend! Love it. Advanced Warfare and Titanfall play like dreams, and it's even easy to use and fun with games like Mass Effect.

eastx

I cannot agree more with that review final conclusions, perfect summary of the situation.

Thanks very much. Conclusions are the hardest part of reviews for me, so it's nice when I get one right. :)

When did the Power A Fusion come out? Also, the Wildcat? I hadn't heard of either to be honest.

The Wildcat launched at the beginning of December; we were fortunate enough to be the first outlet to review it.

The Fusion Pro Controller launched in November, but Power A took quite a while to send us a review unit. They did very little PR on it, as you can tell. The Wildcat, on the other hand, was shown off at trade shows before it came out.

Top Bottom