• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xboxone Resolutiongate (Eurogamer)

Rockondevil

I still don't understand why people would pick the Xbox one over the ps4. Literally no reason to at this stage. I know people will say "launch games are better on Xbox one" but with the amount of first party titles in development for the ps4 right now, that single reason will be eliminated by this time next year

I will in no way deny the PS4 has better hardware this gen and is obviously cheaper (although only a mere $50 here).
However I am going the X1 for a couple of reasons, mainly my friends and I have had xbox since the original xbox and stick with it I guess (although most tend to get a PS at some point for exclusives) and the controller is a big one for me.
I personally think Sony should make a control similar to the Xbox's (first party) because a lot of people like the design.

Alx

I still don't understand why people would pick the Xbox one over the ps4. Literally no reason to at this stage. I know people will say "launch games are better on Xbox one" but with the amount of first party titles in development for the ps4 right now, that single reason will be eliminated by this time next year

Then it will be time to buy a PS4 by this time next year. :) And not everybody have the same affinity to the different first party games.
Honestly it's not about counting the + and - of each product, you just buy the console that you feel will be the most appropriate for your tastes.

People should buy whatever they like for whatever reasons they want.

That's really not the issue at hand.

What rubs people the wrong way though is when people make disingenuous comments and spin on here in some sort of weird pre-purchase rationalization.

TheKayle

Banned
It's nice to appreciate the tech, but if Micorosft can't justify the tech's existence in their own in-house applications like Nintendo did with the Wiimote then it's struck off as wasting resources to what people bought the console in the first place for (and is part of why people are begging for Kinect cut out to make the console cheaper), the games, which is the perception that Microsoft's been struggling with since day one.

For example if we take you iterating the CPU clock advantage, it means bugger all if COD runs at 720p and (god forbid) has a more unstable framerate than it's PS4 counterpart.

oh on this point i totally agree..if games will give a better experience (and im not really counting the differences in pixel here) on a platform istead the other...thats is the clear winner......games must come before everything else...

if i was ms (IF) at this point i would point everything on the difference of the two platforms...seeing that one have a better gpu than the other....they should just point all on the other things...

better and more deep os
making the xb1 the console where u need to go if u want play in multiplayer
give to the user a variety of apps that will make the xb1 a more capable multimedia machine
making the use of the kinect COOL at least using the os
do some COOL kinect casual game
etc etc

if they continue to keep the fight on pixels and fps is lost before it start

Popup

I suppose, for many, the XBox One is simply a more powerful XBox 360. It is a lifestyle thing. The new version of the old version.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
Let's go back 8 years ago. The Internet was a very different place.

Flickr, Facebook, Kotaku and Joystiq launched just 1 year before the Xbox 360.
YOUTUBE launched the same year as it.
Twitter launched a year AFTER.

During the Xbox 360 launch, you pretty much were stuck with the mainstays of the video game world for your information.
IGN/GameSpy (Merged 2 years earlier) and Gamespot were pretty much the only place to get video game news. If you were psychotic, you watched G4techTV. Maybe the in-store video at EB Games or Gamestop. Or magazines.

GamePro, EGM, Xbox World, Nintendo Power, Game Developer (Oh, so many issues of that in my office) all existed, too.

That was our news. Back then, it'd be viable for a reveal to be in a magazine, watching press conferences live was a terrible mess.

Without social media, PR companies could pretty much grease the palms of IGN and Gamespot and get them to say whatever they wanted. GAF had their own info, as did GameFaqs and whatever cesspools were around then.

I truly think Microsoft is running this shit like it IS 8 years ago, where they could get away with acting like jackasses daily, as long as they keep a straight face during interviews and make sure the big game sites say what they want them to say. I mean, what avenue 8 years ago would there even BE for someone at Microsoft to make a comment like that "It all ends up in 1080p"? And even then, it wouldn't get around to be discussed. You'd have to pay attention for it.

Comments, retweets, and shares now influence everything we see online. MS can't get away with it anymore, even though they clearly keep trying. We live in a 24-hour news cycle. Releasing bad news on a Friday night is nowhere near as useful as it was last decade.

Every console launch is manipulation. They want you to buy their product and they'll do their damnedest to make you want it. Think about how many game consoles you bought, and spent time looking at the grid of TV screens on the back of all the games that'd be coming out? Remember when they had those? The difference is, MS is not being honest, and even though they keep getting caught, they're still trotting around like it doesn't matter.

Albert hasn't realized that we we control the outcome, HE needs us, WE don't need him or his product. Not to be over dramatic or anything but the internet has helped topple governments, brought the spotlight to other consumer unfriendly things, like pink slime, forcing them to close plants etc. so you can be sure it can help make the xbone a failure.

The word of mouth is going to kill them.

Or misguided brand loyalty. You only have to look at this thread to find examples.
Yes, but that would be the silly reason.
Albert hasn't realized that we we control the outcome, HE needs us, WE don't need him or his product. Not to be over dramatic or anything but the internet has helped topple governments, brought the spotlight to other consumer unfriendly things, like pink slime, forcing them to close plants etc. so you can be sure it can help make the xbone a failure.

Yes, you can fool your fans in the beginning, but then even brandloyalty will show its limits pretty fast.

oh on this point i totally agree..if games will give a better experience (and im not really counting the differences in pixel here) on a platform istead the other...thats is the clear winner......games must come before everything else...

if i was ms (IF) at this point i would point everything on the difference of the two platforms...seeing that one have a better gpu than the other....they should just point all on the other things...

better and more deep os
making the xb1 the console where u need to go if u want play in multiplayer
give to the user a variety of apps that will make the xb1 a more capable multimedia machine
making the use of the kinect COOL at least using the os
do some COOL kinect casual game
etc etc

if they continue to keep the fight on pixels and fps is lost before it start

This is the one Sony has in its sights. "for the players".

Skeff

Cool more bullshit tease crap from Albert, pretty sure the guy deserves a banning for all of the shit he's been peddling without being able to back it up.

Come on Albert, for once in your life be honest about the power discrepancies and the quality difference between multiplatform titles.

DieH@rd

Banned
Quck one

memesystz.jpg

I debater whether or not to change panel #2 to show him firmly standing, not entering store.... but this is also ok i hope

Cool more bullshit tease crap from Albert, pretty sure the guy deserves a banning for all of the shit he's been peddling without being able to back it up.

Come on Albert, for once in your life be honest about the power discrepancies and the quality difference between multiplatform titles.

Have you ever seen a company do that, man?

Rodelero

Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, Forza 5 and Ryse at launch. To come the likes of Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall & Quantum Break.

I'd say there are some very good reasons to pick up an X1 myself. Just the same as Killzone is a good reason to pick up a PS4.

Obviously it's all highly subjective, but we know so little about many of those titles, plus, what we do know about Ryse is nothing to get excited about. Long term, I think people would have to be kidding themselves to believe the better game lineup exists on the One. It's a simple bet - PS4 is probably going to win the sales war by some margin, it is clearly the more powerful console, they are miles ahead when it comes to indie stuff, and they have the strongest set of first party studios, personal preference aside.

Most importantly, Sony have shown this generation that they will not stop making great exclusives two/three years before the end of a gen!

I can think of plenty of reasons why a minority will be better off with the One. In general, the safer bet is the PS4, and that is what I will tell anyone who asks my advice. Unless you are a huge, huge fan of one of Microsoft's franchises (we're basically talking Halo - and after reach and 4 it's difficult to care) it's hard to understand why you'd make the $500 gamble.

Riky

$MSFT
Obviously it's all highly subjective, but we know so little about many of those titles, plus, what we do know about Ryse is nothing to get excited about. Long term, I think people would have to be kidding themselves to believe the better game lineup exists on the One. It's a simple bet - PS4 is probably going to win the sales war by some margin, it is clearly the more powerful console, they are miles ahead when it comes to indie stuff, and they have the strongest set of first party studios, personal preference aside.

Most importantly, Sony have shown this generation that they will not stop making great exclusives two/three years before the end of a gen!

All of which is all well and good, but if you're a massive Killer Instinct or Dead Rising Fan then it becomes irrelevant. You need an Xbox One to play those games.

It's not dramatic. The exact reason the Xbox One is struggling is because of strong word of mouth. The DRM shit was so bad that people who never cared about that shit already knew.

MS had to put up laughable warnings on GameStop's page and elsewhere pleading with people to realize they got rid of that.

What did Albert Penello say now? Can someone link his post.

I'm on my phone and eager to get angry about something...

Nothing new. It's just the culmination of the last 6 months of his pretending that he knew everything and everything was going to be awesome.

Rodelero

All of which is all well and good, but if you're a massive Killer Instinct or Dead Rising Fan then it becomes irrelevant. You need an Xbox One to play those games.

Indeed - hence my edit - but we are then talking a small number of people aren't we - a group over represented on GAF?

Ultimately, between word of mouth and price, I just can't see Microsoft keeping up. I was very wrong bout the last generation though!

Something that's really going unnoticed right now is the fact that the only game we have actually had comparison shots of on next gen consoles, is BF4, and that particular game turned out to be a 900p Vs 720p comparison.

So lots of people jumped up to say "see, the difference isn't that big!" This was very fortunate for the XB1, because of course those 1080p Vs 720p comparisons are going to be far more damning. By then of course the media has already written it's narrative telling people to ignore all of this, but those Ghosts comparison shots will not be close at all.

And we still don't know what res all those other third party games are going to come in at. NFS: Rivals, AC4, etc.

ppl need to stop dreaming about theres a difference between casual and something else...
a game is a game...

if u talk to my mum she get excited and all happy when she win playin burraco online with her ipad...
i do the same when i get a gold promotion in league of legends...
theres no differences

No. Casual gamers buy a Wii, use it as a Wii Sports machine and don't buy its successor. This is where Nintendo is currently at.

I have, because I've said it before.

"I understand that there are certain areas within our product that falls short of our competitors, who are also among the best in the business"

If it was me, I'd throw in another line to acknowledge and affirm that having weaker areas compared to competitors is nothing new, like : "This was true of the past 2 generations as well."

Then comes the explanation and PR spiel:

"However, despite that, we believe that the areas where we are superior allows us to deliver a superior entertainment package, with the best gaming and multimedia experience in one box."

That user concludes with the following comment:
n6FyHEx.png

That's as close as it is going to get to calling out GiantBomb as Xbox fanboys.

Not at all surprised by Giant Bomb's stance. They were giving MS the benefit of doubt to the run up of E3, during it and even after. What was the nail in the coffin was them trying to act like the internet was over reacting to the DRM shit.

yeah i correct with wii sorry

combinig two product mean nothing....

is like saying

"oh you know ford and citroen combined sell more than mercedes so they r stronger"..wtf (i dont know how much this companies sell in reality is just an example)

Holy shit at your tag hahahaha.

Performance: I’m not dismissing raw performance. I’m stating – as I have stated from the beginning – that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…

I cannot believe someone responded to this tripe with #TRUTHFACT. Truly embarrassing stuff.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Only reason i can think of is friendslist.

But you'll have zero friends you can play multiplayer with at launch. I guess you could chat with them?

Achievements might be a reason to stay with it? Or you are genuinely interested in the media stuff. I am, but not enough to pay the entry price on a 'maybe' - I want concrete information on how well TV all be supported in the UK. And I want plex

But you'll have zero friends you can play multiplayer with at launch. I guess you could chat with them?

Achievements might be a reason to stay with it? Or you are genuinely interested in the media stuff. I am, but not enough to pay the entry price on a 'maybe' - I want concrete information on how well TV all be supported in the UK. And I want plex
My guess was those people will buy the Xboxe one so they can keep the same friendlist. Achievements might also be a thing people would want to keep. Didn't even think of that. And ofcourse it won't be hard for MS to convince normal people that the XBOXOne is a huge step truelly next gen machine that does EVERYTHING.. A lot of people are impressed by that. Ofcourse... people here are informed by all the shit that surrounds the new Xbox.

Skeff

I've never seen a company meltdown, tell me math doesn't matter and they invented DirectX, but I imagine if a company did that and then it turns out math is indeed correct as it always is, they should Apologise.

Even disregarding all of this, Albert Penello is a poster on NeoGAF and should be treated as any other poster.

edited my post above for less snark.

The next few weeks are crazy. I'm on the road until launch. See my edits above.

There has always been time for disingenuous and misleading statements about balance, clouds, and transistors. Your schedule is THAT BUSY that you can't take 5 minutes to address and apologize for your fallacious claims?

I've never seen a company meltdown, tell me math doesn't matter and they invented DirectX, but I imagine if a company did that and then it turns out math is indeed correct as it always is, they should Apologise.

Even disregarding all of this, Albert Penello is a poster on NeoGAF and should be treated as any other poster.

Fair enough.

I just don't see MS operating like that.

I'll give Albert some credit: The press just likes to mockingly call us pixel counters far away somewhere in articles, at least he tries to spin to us directly here in the forums. Not that it yielded any positive results ...

espher

Actually combining the two consoles does mean something, it means more people cared about HD gaming than those who didn't.

I own all three consoles, but I got more of out of my Wii than the other two (with the exception of Rock Band), so idk if I'd take your stance as a given. I have my 360 for HD multiplats and my PS3 for exclusives.

Combining the two consoles just means I had to buy two consoles to get everything from the "HD gaming" consoles I wanted, nothing more.

(Not that I'm trying to justify Kayle's hilarity.)

rjinaz

Wow this thread really went places overnight. A new tag, a visit from Penello, and a confirmation that yosp visits gaf. So good.

With very few exceptions, you don't get to be high up in MS without being a hyper-alpha male. It's about winning, not being the best.

There is a form of blind arrogance here, at least in Albert's case. I literally sent him a personal message a couple months ago suggesting he back off the tech talk, as it was an argument he could not win, and it was doing him no favors engaging in it. I recommended he just stick to engaging with Xbox fans, and telling people why the XB1 is cool. I did this with absolute sincerity, as I seriously felt bad seeing the road he was heading down.

I have no PR training of any kind, and yet my advice could not have been more accurate. Everything he's done on GAF these past 6 months has resulted in absolutely nothing positive for himself, his company, and the XB1.

stryke

I own all three consoles, but I got more of out of my Wii than the other two (with the exception of Rock Band), so idk if I'd take your stance as a given. I have my 360 for HD multiplats and my PS3 for exclusives.

Combining the two consoles just means I had to buy two consoles to get everything from the "HD gaming" consoles I wanted, nothing more.

(Not that I'm trying to justify Kayle's hilarity.)

I don't care what you got out of your consoles.

Both 360 and PS3 have sold roughly 80 million each, Wii 100 million. You do the math.

Skeff

I don't care what you got out of your consoles.

Both 360 and PS3 have sold roughly 80 million each, Wii 100 million. You do the math.

The Wii sales have almost stalled entirely now too and is no longer being produced, everything points to both PS3 and xb360 outselling the Wii, or at least the PS3 due to the late adoption in developing markets that have been gaming on PS2 for the past 7 years.

Sorry to hijack this topic, but it seems Marcus Beer (annoyed Gamer) is claiming via sources the PS4 is prone to overheating...and this is why no retail units are available for reviewers etc..

anybody else heard this?

Skeff

Sorry to hijack this topic, but it seems Marcus Beer (annoyed Gamer) is claiming via sources the PS4 is prone to overheating...and this is why no retail units are available for reviewers etc..

anybody else heard this?

FUD, considering the Power Draw of the System I find this incredibly unlikely.

anybody else heard this?

I hardly think Sony would release the beast into the wild with a wide problem after seeing the RROD fiasco go down.

Raydeen

XB1 is a capable system. Dead Rising 3 and Ryse both look amazing. Obviously it will never be the beast PS3 is. Once tools are settled and the less than conventional memory management is mastered, I'd expect to see more 1080p titles with more complex stuff going to 900 vs PS4 1080p.

XB1 could be the Megadrive to the PS4's SNES. Question is, can Microsoft gets those exclusives that defined the Megadrive?

Rising_Hei

XB1 is a capable system. Dead Rising 3 and Ryse both look amazing. Obviously it will never be the beast PS3 is. Once tools are settled and the less than conventional memory management is mastered, I'd expect to see more 1080p titles with more complex stuff going to 900 vs PS4 1080p.

XB1 could be the Megadrive to the PS4's SNES. Question is, can Microsoft gets those exclusives that defined the Megadrive?

That's not a valid example either

More like Saturn vs PSX

Top Bottom