• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xboxone Resolutiongate (Eurogamer)

I remember seeing in his job description that he is a product manager.

PMs should know what state the product is in. If his team failed to properly report him on the actual state of affairs as they should, then I am very sorry for his predicament, as that team lacks enough discipline to keep the PM in the loop.

True story. I would have delayed XBOX One right after the spec leak in February. And/or I would be looking for blood from AMD if they had no idea they were behind. More than likely though it was corporate decision making because of the money invested in Kinect.

Wille517

Neo Member
Nah that'd be too much imo

Having yosp super active on twitter is perfect
I agree I feel that his being here would be disruptive if he was on GAF as him self any topic he posted in would go off the rails and get closed damn near immediately because his mere presence would be alpha troll bait.

Haha, he got off lightly with that tag.

"Sentient" should have have linked to him saying he could smell bullshit a mile away, and "mushroom" should have linked to his post praising Albert's PR about the resolution rumours.

FranXico

I agree I feel that his being here would be disruptive if he was on GAF as him self any topic he posted in would go off the rails and get closed damn near immediately because his mere presence would be alpha troll bait.

It would be worse than that. If Yoshida actually became a GAF member, then all the press would jump on Sony's throat accusing them of astroturfing.

Wille517

Neo Member
Grimløck;88327427 said:
Klocker
Sentient Mushroom
(Today, 01:39 AM)

Glorious. Thank you based mods.
So do you only get a Tag for saying or being associated with some form of asshatery or can they be positive/tongue-in-cheek?

So do you only get a Tag for saying or being associated with some form of asshatery or can they be positive/tongue-in-cheek?

It can be from anything a mod deems noteworthy about your character

However people who stand out the most are the ones who stay the stupidest things the loudest the longest and therefore run the highest risk of a tag

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
Seems older gamers are much less nostalgia prone than I am, lol. I am grateful as fuck for the bold as well.

Oh there were plenty of good times back then, but everything was a gamble and the bad outweighed the good, at least to me.

One of the best times I can ever remember was when my older brothers and nephews had been playing Goldeneye during the weekends. We even had a screen divider that we had made so you couldn't see the other 3 split screens.

Well, one of my nephews is bored after many weekend nights and wants to play something new. We didn't have anything else that we could all compete against. So he wanted to play this demo disk that had been laying around for a few months, not sure if it came from a magazine or the console itself, everyone kinda groaned, but we popped it into the PS1.

We were expecting a demolition derby arena game, at least that's what the cover looked like, but we were in for a surprise, the cars had weapons lol. We each played a round against each other, hopped in the car and barely made it to the store by 10. Picked up a copy of Twisted Metal and a ton of snacks and played a ton tournaments until 4 or 5 in the morning. We did this for the next few months.

So in this instance we went in blind, enjoyed the demo and purchased the game all without anyone else's input. But finding a game like that was pretty rare and that's why we hesitated putting down Goldeneye to begin with. I miss couch multiplayer.

Mostly asshattery, though I've seen some good ones based on meritorious achievement. The Low Poly Gynecologist tag always makes me smile (he found a vagina in a GC game... Ghost or something).

MogCakes

I found I was able to relate to his post, but it wasn't his post that caused the tag so much as his post history. It can be positive, but in my experience I've seen more humorous ones.

You should watch Black Snake Moan. Very good movie.

The thing I remember most about that movie is JT being a creeper.

Mostly asshattery, though I've seen some good ones based on meritorious achievement. The Low Poly Gynecologist tag always makes me smile (he found a vagina in a GC game... Ghost or something).

Found it in Geist, a nintendo game

That was a incredible thread, glad to be part of the hunt for a wild vag in a Nintendo game

surely a wild goose chase right?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678073

Detective Gaf went as far as finding the actual human model used for that

What an absolutely shocking turn of events. Klocker enters the fray to defend the FUD posts by an employee of his console manufacturer of choice. Do they pay you for this shit? I can't think of any other reason someone would defend the absolute misinformation that we've been fed from day one. Unless you're actually a sentient mushroom, in which case you'd love being kept in the dark and fed shit.

Grimløck;88327427 said:
Klocker
Sentient Mushroom
(Today, 01:39 AM)

Glorious. Thank you based mods.

Kevin-Garnett-Reaction-at-2013-Dunk-Contest.gif

Klocker

Haha, he got off lightly with that tag.

"Sentient" should have have linked to him saying he could smell bullshit a mile away, and "mushroom" should have linked to his post praising Albert's PR about the resolution rumours.

I as am as watchful and alert to bullshit as anyone you meet, I also happen to be an optimist so I give people the benefit of the doubt.

Full context

FranXico

Then what does Albert and Major Nelson being on here equate to??

We all know that it's just PR, it would be the same if Yoshida or others from Sony posted here, and that there is nothing inherently wrong with that.

But did you not notice the widespread double standards and bias most gaming media outlets have been revealing lately?

Cipherr

I think they just found out the hard way that this isn't like the 90's anymore with magazines and letters being the only way for gamers to challenge you and vent.

They tried to sell some nonsense, and the people who knew better bucked.... Now they are solely responsible for making every single XBO game that runs at 720p from this point onward a HUGE fucking spectacle.

There will be threads from here to Reddit every single freaking time a game on the One is confirmed to run at 720p for months and months after the console launches. All because they tried to float a little white lie along with some BS.

Wasn't worth it.

Klocker

I'm with you on this.. every generation has it's debate and cynicism, but this particular one has meant talk of games and actual hype for each is now lost in the noise..

Yes much less fun debates about what could or might end up being and more noise for sure

MogCakes

Oh there were plenty of good times back then, but everything was a gamble and the bad outweighed the good, at least to me.

[...]

I miss couch multiplayer.

Yeah, it was a gamble. I don't think the bad outweighed the good, but then I was always a picky guy when it came to games. And man, I miss local MP like hell.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That is extremely disappointing. The press need to remember they work for their audience and should be advocates for their concerns, not the platform holders' and publishers'. They were never shy about pointing out much smaller differences this gen in the interest of informing the public but suddenly, with greater visual and performance gaps than ever many are allowing themselves to be misused by Xbox public relations to promote a completely baseless and unsupported claim that casual won't see a difference or care. There is no evidence of that whatsoever.

Fundamentally, I think we do not realise that we don't have journalism for games, we have press. Pretty much the entire gaming press is about informing us what is coming up, previewing games, regurgitating and repackaging press kits for our consumption. It is entertainment media, it isn't designed to be investigative in any way.

I don't get the downplaying either. Why would you be so willingly ignorant? Perhaps you don't want to piss off MS, or publishers? But then by not reporting accurately, aren't you misrepresenting PS4 and the developers that are pushing that with better results?

The only way to report with balance is to simply state how it is. MS might not like it, but it is at least fair.

I also agree with those that said MS' downplaying of the differences is actually fuelling this, which is fucking ironic.

Klocker

And yet you are in this thread being the noisiest by far. Odd...

What? I made one comment saying Albert was a good sport and that "i miss the good old days of gaming"

The rest of the thread was trying to futility explain myself to people accusing me of Supporting fud due to an old post being dredged up. Lol

DBT85

That user concludes with the following comment:
n6FyHEx.png

That's as close as it is going to get to calling out GiantBomb as Xbox fanboys.

A perfect summation of how many of us seem to feel.

I do feel bad for Albert, but you live by the sword...This is gamers wrath for being misled basically. I think made worse by the fact that most of us knew it was bollocks and saw the writing on the wall long ago..

I imagine it cannot be all happiness and light at MS HQ right now or for the past few months with the torrent of abuse they've had. However, everything, absolutely everything, is on their own head just like it was with the PS3 and Sony. From the community there has been no FUD, there has been no misappropriation of facts. Everything they got called on was as a direct result of their choices, and then their responses to the gaming communities questions about said choices.

It's the first time they've had it really, the Xbox was the utter underdog, launching late and against a juggernaught. Nobody expected them to do anything so everything they god was great. The 360 was still coming in as the underdog at first because of the previous generation, but soon with the PS3 price and late arrival, the 360 rose to the top in that race and they've been on cloud 9 (no pun intended) since. All those NPD months of being the #1, all those multiplats that were better, all those Live subs raking in the money, all the multiplat sales, that attach rate.

This is the first time they've been expected to lead a next generation, the first time people have been sitting at home en masse thinking "Man, the next Xbox is going to be awesome, look at all the great shit they did on the 360". Only for them to stumble out of the traps like a drunken three legged horse at the races.

Social media and the more connected way we all live now has not helped them at all, and I can only imagine how much worse it would have been for Sony all those years ago if we lived like we do now.

They didn't have to try and talk the talk they way they did. We kept telling them to talk about what they could do, and could do better, than talk about the stuff that they clearly couldn't, that people here have KNOWN for months. But they tried, and they tried. And they looked foolish in the process.

I've no doubt in my mind that anyone buying an Xbone and COD or BF4 or whatever else is going to have a fucking cracking time on it, with lots of hours of fun online and offline. There really is no question of that at all.

But everything right now is pointing to the PS4 getting out of the traps faster, with better PR, better messaging, a better price and the support of the bulk of the "hardcore", the evangelists of technology that help drive a good product to it's ultimate success, and will just as easily help sink a poor one.

To be fair, it isn't that difficult. Appreciate the help when it comes to the aggregate work, though

While this is great

Klocker
Sentient Mushroom
(Today, 08:26 AM)
image.php

I think the post calling him a sentient mushroom should be included for context. And because it was beautifully put.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88324849&postcount=1089

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If MS hadn't started this FUD - and blindly kept it up - they could probably have put the POWAH issues behind them and actually attempted to focus the agenda on what they offer that Sony doesn't. But because of their pig-headedness, we are a few weeks away from launch with resolution top of the agenda, and nobody talking about any of the features Xbox has that might justify buying one

I don't get the downplaying either. Why would you be so willingly ignorant? Perhaps you don't want to piss off MS, or publishers? But then by not reporting accurately, aren't you misrepresenting PS4 and the developers that are pushing that with better results?

Many times I have seen the suggestion that other factors will play a bigger role in purchasing decisions than the resolution a game runs, but if those factors were so compelling there would be no need to diminish, denigrate or disguise the disparity. It seems to belie a certain unflattering insecurity among those who promote this view.

Hoje0308

Banned
What? I made one comment saying Albert was a good sport and that "i miss the good old days of gaming"

The rest of the thread was trying to futility explain myself to people accusing me of Supporting fud due to an old post being dredged up. Lol

When you respond to FUD with a #Truthfact stamp and then continue to kiss the purveyor's ass, you are supporting FUD. Simple as that.

Paz

I wonder how gamers will react when the realities of cloud computing are well known, that won't happen for a while yet but it is another area where Microsoft will have nobody but themselves to blame for the outcome.

It feels like this whole year has been lesson after lesson on the dangers of manipulating your audience.

Should have just focused on the games all along, that's why I'll be getting an XB1. But I also get every console so they need to do a lot more than convince me.

Top Bottom