• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xboxone Resolutiongate (Eurogamer)

FranXico

I wonder how gamers will react when the realities of cloud computing are well known, that won't happen for a while yet but it is another area where Microsoft will have nobody but themselves to blame for the outcome.

It feels like this whole year has been lesson after lesson on the dangers of manipulating your audience.

Should have just focused on the games all along, that's why I'll be getting an XB1. But I also get every console so they need to do a lot more than convince me.

I'm on board with the PS4, can you please refresh me on your game title? It looked like frantic fun and should be great for online co-op. You have a costumer here. :)

Jabba

Banned
Oh there were plenty of good times back then, but everything was a gamble and the bad outweighed the good, at least to me.

One of the best times I can ever remember was when my older brothers and nephews had been playing Goldeneye during the weekends. We even had a screen divider that we had made so you couldn't see the other 3 split screens.

Well, one of my nephews is bored after many weekend nights and wants to play something new. We didn't have anything else that we could all compete against. So he wanted to play this demo disk that had been laying around for a few months, not sure if it came from a magazine or the console itself, everyone kinda groaned, but we popped it into the PS1.

We were expecting a demolition derby arena game, at least that's what the cover looked like, but we were in for a surprise, the cars had weapons lol. We each played a round against each other, hopped in the car and barely made it to the store by 10. Picked up a copy of Twisted Metal and a ton of snacks and played a ton tournaments until 4 or 5 in the morning. We did this for the next few months.

So in this instance we went in blind, enjoyed the demo and purchased the game all without anyone else's input. But finding a game like that was pretty rare and that's why we hesitated putting down Goldeneye to begin with. I miss couch multiplayer.

Dunno how old you are foggy but yeah, gambling and shit.

TheKayle

Banned
I wonder how gamers will react when the realities of cloud computing are well known, that won't happen for a while yet but it is another area where Microsoft will have nobody but themselves to blame for the outcome.

It feels like this whole year has been lesson after lesson on the dangers of manipulating your audience.

Should have just focused on the games all along, that's why I'll be getting an XB1. But I also get every console so they need to do a lot more than convince me.

they will not react...they will just enjoy the games who they like and will no buy games they dont.....and continue their life

IMHO gamers are a very different race..
gamers made the wii outsell x360 and ps3 easly..and no one had cried coz that console havent a uber duper graphics and resolution was 480P

yeah someone will try to divide the gamers into "good gamers" (what internet call as hardcore gamers) and another type (casual gamers i think) where they seem shouldnt be admitted to judge and talk about any game......

in fact i think that the behaviour of "hardcore gamers community" most of the time is a potential FUD

ppl purchases as always will choose the winner of the generation....meanwhile the hardcore gamers community...will conitnue to talk about difference that masses showed millions of time dosnt care about

FranXico

gamers made the wii outsell x360 and ps3 easly..and no one had cried coz that console havent a uber duper graphics and resolution was 480P

Aaaah... Kayle arrived! Now it's a party!

In which alternate universe did the Wii U easily outsell the 360 and PS3?

Unless it's a typo and you mean the Wii, which still sold less than the "HD twins" combined.

Should have just focused on the games all along, that's why I'll be getting an XB1.

Let's go back 8 years ago. The Internet was a very different place.

Flickr, Facebook, Kotaku and Joystiq launched just 1 year before the Xbox 360.
YOUTUBE launched the same year as it.
Twitter launched a year AFTER.

During the Xbox 360 launch, you pretty much were stuck with the mainstays of the video game world for your information.
IGN/GameSpy (Merged 2 years earlier) and Gamespot were pretty much the only place to get video game news. If you were psychotic, you watched G4techTV. Maybe the in-store video at EB Games or Gamestop. Or magazines.

GamePro, EGM, Xbox World, Nintendo Power, Game Developer (Oh, so many issues of that in my office) all existed, too.

That was our news. Back then, it'd be viable for a reveal to be in a magazine, watching press conferences live was a terrible mess.

Without social media, PR companies could pretty much grease the palms of IGN and Gamespot and get them to say whatever they wanted. GAF had their own info, as did GameFaqs and whatever cesspools were around then.

I truly think Microsoft is running this shit like it IS 8 years ago, where they could get away with acting like jackasses daily, as long as they keep a straight face during interviews and make sure the big game sites say what they want them to say. I mean, what avenue 8 years ago would there even BE for someone at Microsoft to make a comment like that "It all ends up in 1080p"? And even then, it wouldn't get around to be discussed. You'd have to pay attention for it.

Comments, retweets, and shares now influence everything we see online. MS can't get away with it anymore, even though they clearly keep trying. We live in a 24-hour news cycle. Releasing bad news on a Friday night is nowhere near as useful as it was last decade.

Every console launch is manipulation. They want you to buy their product and they'll do their damnedest to make you want it. Think about how many game consoles you bought, and spent time looking at the grid of TV screens on the back of all the games that'd be coming out? Remember when they had those? The difference is, MS is not being honest, and even though they keep getting caught, they're still trotting around like it doesn't matter.

TheKayle

Banned
Aaaah... Kayle arrived! Now it's a party!

In which alternate universe did the Wii U easily outsell the 360 and PS3?

Unless it's a typo and you mean the Wii, which still sold less than the "HD twins" combined.

yeah i correct with wii sorry

combinig two product mean nothing....

is like saying

"oh you know ford and citroen combined sell more than mercedes so they r stronger"..wtf (i dont know how much this companies sell in reality is just an example)

HORRORSHØW

is like saying

"oh you know ford and citroen combined sell more than mercedes so they r stronger"..wtf
You're absolutely correct. Enjoy the inferior console for the next decade. Loving the new tag, by the way.

stryke

is like saying

"oh you know ford and citroen combined sell more than mercedes so they r stronger"..wtf (i dont know how much this companies sell in reality is just an example)

Actually combining the two consoles does mean something, it means more people cared about HD gaming than those who didn't.

TheKayle

Banned
Grimløck;88329161 said:
You're absolutely correct. Enjoy the inferior console for the next decade. Loving the new tag, by the way.

ill buy both console as i always did..you pointing at the wrong person...anyway
you know that what you wrote is FUD right?
what mean inferior? i think you would say.....the console with the gpu that perform less flops?

TheKayle

Banned
Actually combining the two consoles does mean something, it means more people cared about HD gaming than those who didn't.

no mean that ppl care about games...someone liked uncharted and bought the ps...someone else like "bang bang" and bought xbox for halo and gears...

if u buy stuff purely for specs pc is the way to go...certainly not consoles

madmackem

they will not react...they will just enjoy the games who they like and will no buy games they dont.....and continue their life

yeah someone will try to divide the gamers into "good gamers" (what internet call as hardcore gamers) and another type (casual gamers i think) where they seem shouldnt be admitted to judge and talk about any game......

in fact i think that the behaviour of "hardcore gamers community" most of the time is a potential FUD

ppl purchases as always will choose the winner of the generation....meanwhile the hardcore gamers community...will conitnue to talk about difference that masses showed millions of time dosnt care about

I dont know what your trying to say here, if your trying to say wii sold and was weak so xbox will then thats so far off base, wii was cheap and had a hook for the non gaming market, xboxone is going head to head with a cheaper more powerful box and has nothing to sell itself to the mainstream.

koji kabuto

I really feel sorry for Microsoft guys trying to damage control bullshit that they have not caused in the first place, The biggest mistake they have done is abandoning the original plan by Don Mattrick for the system being TV/sport hub that happen to play games and turned it into hardcore HD gaming console in the last minute and try to challenge Sony in power battle that Sony have planned and worked on for a long time.

But the way they chose to damage control is what made me really disappointed at how they think we are stupid by telling us that resolution does not matter and upscaled 720p looks like 1080p, even worst claiming it's better via 3rd party (gaming journalists lol).

no mean that ppl care about games...someone liked uncharted and bought the ps...someone else like "bang bang" and bought xbox for halo and gears...

if u buy stuff purely for specs pc is the way to go...certainly not consoles

Because people can't compromise between the convenience of console gaming and getting the best graphics experience for the money?

Ok sure...

HORRORSHØW

ill buy both console as i always did..you pointing at the wrong person...anyway
you know that what you wrote is FUD right?
what mean inferior? i think you would say.....the console with the gpu that perform less flops?
hahaha. whatever helps you sleep at night, friendo.

TheKayle

Banned
I dont know what your trying to say here, if your trying to say wii sold and was weak so xbox will then thats so far off base, wii was cheap and had a hook for the non gaming market, xboxone is going head to head with a cheaper more powerful box and has nothing to sell itself to the mainstream.

uh? hook? what is the non gaming market related to the wii? wii was a gaming console...

im saying that as always a % of people will continue to talk about specsandpixels for years (and ill be one of this persons) ...but the big % of the gamers..can care less about this things..

for me ms did wrong choosing a weaker gpu...but at the same time..im not one who bought a nintendo wii...i bought x360 and ps3
but other 100 (and more) millions of ppl did..so this must mean something

You asked what the chances were.

I'll be back. You're right, I should talk about it. But right now, still lots of info to come out. Once the dust settles, and all the information is out there, I'll address my comments.

It looks like the dust and information is being run through the magic fairy upscaler as I type.

uh? hook? what is the non gaming market related to the wii? wii was a gaming console...

The Wii's hook was its ability to bring in casual gamers. It had a very simplified control scheme that anyone could understand and that worked really well. And as a result the power factor didn't play a role as the PS3 and 360 had nothing to counter the Wii's price and appeal to casuals.

madmackem

im saying that as always a % of people will continue to talk about specsandpixels for years (and ill be one of this persons) ...but the big % of the gamers..can care less about this things..

for me ms did wrong choosing a weaker gpu...but at the same time..im not one who bought a nintendo wii...i bought x360 and ps3

Wii sold on a hook that was motion control, if it didnt have that pick up any can play wii sports it wouldve been a very different story, look no further than the wii u situation.

TheKayle

Banned
The Wii's hook was its ability to bring in casual gamers. It had a very simplified control scheme that anyone could understand and that worked really well. And as a result the power factor didn't play a role as the PS3 and 360 had nothing to counter the Wii's price and appeal to casuals.

ppl need to stop dreaming about theres a difference between casual and something else...
a game is a game...

if u talk to my mum she get excited and all happy when she win playin burraco online with her ipad...
i do the same when i get a gold promotion in league of legends...
theres no differences

It means casuals really liked the hook for the wii, motion gaming

But clearly those casuals have moved into greener pastures (iOS/android) if sales of the wii u are anything to go by

People buy the new Xbox or playstation to experience next gen

Games in 720p certainly don't feel very next gen and I think it's slowly getting out to more and more people

uhm compromising dont sound right...close to the word "hardcore" to me

No idea what you're tryin to say

I game on consoles because I find pcs too much bother to maintain

This I want the better visuals. I don't thi I that would be hard to sell to not hardcore gamers either

Jburton

Banned

Gamers had nothing to do with the Wii outselling 360 and PS3, shit had more to do with Oprah and morning TV shows selling it to mums and families ...... Wii sold mostly to the non traditional market, the same group that Nintendo can't get a sniff of with the Wii U.

QaaQer

Gamers had nothing to do with the Wii outselling 360 and PS3, shit had more to do with Oprah and morning TV shows selling it to mums and families ...... Wii sold mostly to the non traditional market, the same group that Nintendo can't get a sniff of with the Wii U.

There is the Nintendo Gamer, and I'd argue that they are the hardest of the hardcore.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ppl need to stop dreaming about theres a difference between casual and something else...
a game is a game...

if u talk to my mum she get excited and all happy when she win playin burraco online with her ipad...
theres no differences
It doesn't even have to be as black and white as "casual" vs "hardcore". It's simply a fact that different people prefer different levels of complexity in their games.

I can tell I am not a fanboy because this Giantbomb stuff doesn't bother me. They have their opinions and I am about to shell out £349 on a PS4. I am confident in my opinion and I love listening to theirs.

Kind of weird. I feel like an adult or some shit.

TheKayle

Banned

the wii was an example...is happen very very few times that the most powerful mean at the same time the most selling

ymmv

Banned
a game is a game...

theres no differences

Games are games, but people play different games catering to different tastes and demographics. Nintendo is targeting a different section of the gaming population than Sony and MS do. That's why it's utterly silly to extrapolate the success of the Wii (weak graphics, yet a great success!) to the Xbox One. The Wii and the Xbox 360 were both successful - but for very different reasons and because they were targeting two widely separate audiences.

TheKayle

Banned
It doesn't even have to be as black and white as "casual" vs "hardcore". It's simply a fact that different people prefer different levels of complexity in their games.

oh :) that sound totally like a different story..
and i agree with you...
in fact as a gamer i like to play some of the ios games...and i dont care and dont ask to myself "oh im playin shovelware"......

TheKayle

Banned
Games are games, but people play different games catering to different tastes and demographics. Nintendo is targeting a different section of the gaming population than Sony and MS do. That's why it's utterly silly to extrapolate the success of the Wii (weak graphics, yet a great success!) to the Xbox One.

ps2 was the same

ymmv

Banned
ps2 was the same

Nope. The weaker graphics of the PS2 didn't matter because it had already established itself as the absolute market leader. When it demolished the Dreamcast, it's graphics were state of the art. The Gamecube and the Xbox were launched a year later and by that time the PS2 already dominated the market. It sold many times better than the competition, it had a ridiculous amount of exclusives. Better graphics (Xbox) and a lower price (Gamecube) couldn't compete with a market leader.

Do you see the Xbox One becoming the next PS2 when it's competing head to head with a better, cheaper, more popular competitor without a year headstart?

Vashetti

Banned
the wii was an example...is happen very very few times that the most powerful mean at the same time the most selling

We're in the fortunate situation where the most powerful next-gen console is also the cheapest, by quite a wide margin.

Sony has all the goodwill, the cheapest console, and the most powerful console.

It's in their ballpark to mess up.

maverick40

I still don't understand why people would pick the Xbox one over the ps4. Literally no reason to at this stage. I know people will say "launch games are better on Xbox one" but with the amount of first party titles in development for the ps4 right now, that single reason will be eliminated by this time next year

Jburton

Banned

Nope, no one said the most powerful sells the most.

Them again the Wii success was an anomaly and the factors that led to its success had no relation to it being weakest either ..... it was gimmick and mainstream traction.

In general price is king.

I still don't understand why people would pick the Xbox one over the ps4. Literally no reason to at this stage. I know people will say "launch games are better on Xbox one" but with the amount of first party titles in development for the ps4 right now, that single reason will be eliminated by this time next year
Only reason i can think of is friendslist.

ymmv

Banned
Nope, no one said the most powerful sells the most.

Them again the Wii success was an anomaly and the factors that led to its success had no relation to it being weakest either ..... it was gimmick and mainstream traction.

In general price is king.

Price is a differentiator, but there are other factors in play: features, the size and quality of the games library, brand appeal, mainstream popularity, etc. The PS2 was such a dominant force that cheaper and better competitors hardly registered on sales graphs despite having the better price or better graphics.

A Forza game at launch, a silly zom'beat'em up with Dead Rising 3, a Halo promise in 2014, a friend list... To each his own, a spec list is not the only thing that matters.

Still, a PS4 for me please.

Steroyd

a game is a game...

theres no differences

I see what you're trying to say, but at the same time...

The Wii brought in an audience that doesn't normally play games while that is a good thing for market expansion, the type of audience that Nintendo reeled in didn't generally buy games, or to be more accurate didn't buy much in the way of non Nintendo games and if developers wanted software sales the Xbox 360 was the safer place to go despite the overall lower hardware sales numbers because the audience was more liable to spend a shit load more time and money buying games at full price, trading in to get more games, buying DLC, pay for Xbox Live subscription to play online and so on.

So while yes, a gamer is a gamer, there is however a distinction between how a "hardcore" gamer goes out of their way to dedicate time to play and enjoy lots of games, versus a "casual" who plays every now and then to pass some time away or just buys one game.

ps2 was the same

PS2 was marketed as more powerful than the Dreamcast, why does everyone ignore the Dreamcast?

Riky

$MSFT

Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, Forza 5 and Ryse at launch. To come the likes of Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall & Quantum Break.

I'd say there are some very good reasons to pick up an X1 myself. Just the same as Killzone is a good reason to pick up a PS4.

TheKayle

Banned
We're in the fortunate situation where the most powerful next-gen console is also the cheapest, by quite a wide margin.

Sony has all the goodwill, the cheapest console, and the most powerful console.

It's in their ballpark to mess up.

imho the truth is...

for the "specs whores" ..we have already a winner of the gen and is the ps4..if for "specs whore" we just talking about persons that care only and purely of the gpu...and in this case we should be called "graphical whores"? istead if we was "tech whores"..the forum should talk about more aspects of both consoles...
the tech behind kinect..the online platforms (that ihmo is one of the most important thing of the next gen)..and also the new audio of the xb1
i know that pixels come to the eyes before everything else...but..but... isnt too easy takin in account just pixel and leave all the rest away?! are we just "graphical whores"?
calling a console more powerful than the other is just so relative.... more in what ?...pushing pixels? but a "tech whore" could answer:
"yeah but the xb1 os seem more sophisticaed..and have a bigger multimedia feel with the hdmi and the snap.. the cpu could have a higher clock....also the audio is more powerfull and the kinect specs are better than ps4 camera specs ...and the online platform of one of the two console seem to be "x" times better than the other"

all is relative...really relative...
and as a gamer i dont care about specs...as a ignorant tech lover....i care about the ps4 flops as much as the kinect and the 300k xbl servers

Amir0x

Banned
It's a long shot but sometimes they break down and let some truth out. Part of me wishes he'd say it's just the development tools and that the ship will be righted. I'm still clinging to that little hope for the XBOX One.

On this score, I don't think you even need Albert. The problems being echoed by almost all sources say either some or all of the following:

● The added complexity of the ESRam memory set up is giving developer's added headaches, prolonging development or causing unnecessary hurdles
● Microsoft was very behind in terms of the maturity of the tools available, contrary to Sony who is quite advanced at this stage.
● The Xbox One is significantly less powerful than the PS4.

There is a fourth point some have said about Microsoft being caught flatfooted by Sony and thus rushing things, I've heard it from many places, but I am unsure how much of that is conjecture or reality. I'd say it probably has at least elements of truth in it. Or maybe rather some elements of MS system were reactionary, and other elements weren't.

With these bulletpoints, we can arrive at something like a reasonable perspective: many of these issues will at least be able to be overcome to some degree. For example, just like developers with the PS3's super complex architecture, eventually they will get used to it, they will come up with tricks, they will get better. The problem that was once so severe will be diminished when people aren't trying to make insane launch deadlines.

Similarly, the maturity of the tools is only going to improve with time. In a year, that aspect will probably hardly even be an issue anymore. With those two bulletpoints no longer a problem, I highly doubt a game like CoD: Ghosts would be unable to hit 1080p.

Now, we still need to be realistic. There is a significant gap in power between PS4 and XBO. This will never change, unless Microsoft releases new hardware. And just as devs will continue to get better at the XBO, so will they get even better at the PS4. So this part will always remain a wet blanket. Games will always look and perform better on the PS4 if a developer puts in any effort at all.

On Albert...

I see he has entered this topic and once again made a statement. I would only suggest that once again Microsoft focus on their strengths, not their weaknesses. This tech stuff was never going to work amongst this community, and it's serving only to isolate many here. It's frustrating many long-time Microsoft Xbox fans. And, on balance, I cannot say it's actually helping the Xbox One as a product the way it stands because so much has been backfiring.

I've always appreciated that he comes here and tries to give his company line, no matter if I agreed with it or not. I feel a free interchange of ideas with people in his position is still a net positive for GAFers, even if we strongly disagree with what he is saying. I am smart enough to understand the difference between PR and regular commentary. But, I do not think this current strategy is particularly fruitful because what is going on... even if Albert was right... it wouldn't bare fruit until next Holiday season. Because the tools and the ESRam are still causing hurdles, and that will take time for developers to get over. So when that's ironed out and tucked away, we can get a fairer accounting in "real world games" exactly what the gulf is when launch deadlines aren't a problem and those issues plaguing XBO also aren't as prevalent.

BUT, I would also say to Albert: If next Holiday season we are seeing similar gaps, resolution differences this massive, effects and framerate differences of 5-10+, would we not be fair in expressing our frustration at those 'architecture' articles on Digital Foundry? Would it not be understandable if some posters expressed doubt at your intentions, considering you seemed so sure it wouldn't be the case (even asking for an apology when it wasn't)?

I understand this whole situation is difficult. I am trying as best I can to comprehend all sides here, and respect their true goals. But mistakes have been made. Avoidable mistakes. And I don't know why this has to continue to be the case. You guys can fix this in time, we just need transparency.

I think we have the second coming of theKayle.

hahah, yikes. Good call :p

stryke

hahah, yikes. Good call :p

For some reason I knew I would find dirt on him jacking off to Penello's quote, and then I realised why when I continued reading that thread.

So why is it that you're giving more weight to the words of Penello when Cerny has gone out to proclaim that multiplatform titles will be better on their system.

Wouldn't he be in a similar situation as Penello right now?

sure it's similar but I think the Sony design is much more straight forward and comparable to PC whereas the Xbone, at this point, is very unique and hard to quantify results in advance. Which is the jist of his comments... we can not know the nuanced results from the unique architecture until we are working on it and I honestly think they are recently, happily surprised by how well it is preforming compared to theoretical based only on numbers... so M Cerny may not be in as good a position to comment as Albert since he is the one seeing the more unique machine perform

otherwise I do not believe he would be so direct about it and confident that we will continue to see it in the games for ourselves.

I had already called him out on his double standards, but nooooo, a man who created the console doesn't deserve the "benefit of the doubt" compared to someone who probably didn't even have a single input in system design.

Steroyd

imho the truth is...

for the "specs whores" ..we have already a winner of the gen and is the ps4..if for "specs whore" we just talking about persons that care only and purely of the gpu...and in this case we should be called "graphical whores"? istead if we was "tech whores"..the forum should talk about more aspects of both consoles...
the tech behind kinect..the online platforms (that ihmo is one of the most important thing of the next gen)..and also the new audio of the xb1
i know that pixels come to the eyes before everything else...but..but... isnt too easy takin in account just pixel and leave all the rest away?! are we just "graphical whores"?
calling a console more powerful than the other is just so relative.... more in what ?...pushing pixels? but a "tech whore" could answer:
"yeah but the xb1 os seem more sophisticaed..and have a bigger multimedia feel with the hdmi and the snap.. the cpu could have a higher clock....also the audio is more powerfull and the kinect specs are better than ps4 camera specs ...and the online platform of one of the two console seem to be "x" times better than the other"

all is relative...really relative...
and as a gamer i dont care about specs...as a ignorant tech lover....i care about the ps4 flops as much as the kinect and the 300k xbl servers

It's nice to appreciate the tech, but if Micorosft can't justify the tech's existence in their own in-house applications like Nintendo did with the Wiimote then it's struck off as wasting resources to what people bought the console in the first place for (and is part of why people are begging for Kinect cut out to make the console cheaper), the games, which is the perception that Microsoft's been struggling with since day one.

For example if we take you iterating the CPU clock advantage, it means bugger all if COD runs at 720p and (god forbid) has a more unstable framerate than it's PS4 counterpart.

Top Bottom