• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Casey Hudson leaves BioWare

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Love the mass effect trilogy and KoTOR as well. Some fantastic world building in those games, even if the latter already had established lore. Im bummed that he is leaving, but i understand his need for change.

Ralemont

not me
The fact that you need to stress that there's a "pre-EA feel" speaks volumes.

Well, sure. Whether or not it was an actual design intent of the company, ME2/3 and DA2 emphasized the exploration aspect much less. Now I actually think that ME2 and ME3 are both better games than ME1, but I won't deny that they (and DA2) are more action-y than their predecessors. I just happen to think ME2/3 did "sci-fi action shooter with RPG elements" better than ME1 did "sci-fi RPG with shooter elements."

In any case, I have a strong suspicion that Inquisition will release and all the doom and gloom about BioWare as a company is going to look silly. But I could always end up eating crow.

Wtf is this?

Dragon Age Inquisition looks great. People should be cautionary approaching it still, but this is ridiculous.

Quit whispering me sweet lies you siren!

Nah but really, I hope it turns out well. If it doesn't I'm not sure I'll be purchasing any of their new games for a while afterwards.

I wish him nothing but the best. The Mass Effect universe is one of the most interesting, deep, and fully realized I've ever experienced, and much of that is due to Casey Hudson's vision.

Guri

No, really. Who gives a shit what a developer thinks of you? You are the customer. You have the money. They are the creative, the content producer. You judge what they make. Do you not understand how this works? I get that some people go overboard but come on.

I do. I am a customer and a developer. But, really, let's not consider that I'm a developer. The user I quoted wished Casey get a job far away from the industry. My issue isn't with the idea of not caring of developers think, since everyone is entitled to their own opinions and that's only fair. However, if you don't like a game or a frachise a dev is known for, just don't buy. You don't have to wish them to be away from the games industry. If creating games is what they love to do, then why wish for that? It's horrible. You're basically wishing someone to not fulfill their dream because you don't like their work. Games is one kind of entertainment and taste has to be respected, but if Casey wants to stay in the industry, then it's his personal life and that has to be respected as well.

Feichaw

His work on Mass Effect will not be forgotten. I truly respect this man.

He's a very talented person. I wish him the best.

Hawk269

Wonder how this will impact the future Mass Effect games. I am hoping that some of the RPG elements from the first game with a mix of stuff from the last 2 get all combined into one massive game.

Briarios

I do. I am a customer and a developer. But, really, let's not consider that I'm a developer. The user I quoted wished Casey get a job far away from the industry. My issue isn't with the idea of not caring of developers think, since everyone is entitled to their own opinions and that's only fair. However, if you don't like a game or a frachise a dev is known for, just don't buy. You don't have to wish them to be away from the games industry. If creating games is what they love to do, then why wish for that? It's horrible. You're basically wishing someone to not fulfill their dream because you don't like their work. Games is one kind of entertainment and taste has to be respected, but if Casey wants to stay in the industry, then it's his personal life and that has to be respected as well.

I think some people just overuse hyperbole.

Casey Hudson is clearly competent at what he does; his resume shows that clearly. Anyway that says otherwise is just ignorant. I think the only thing he needs to be away from is Mass Effect. I feel like he lost perspective, and it negatively impacted the game.

I'm interested in what he does next -- but, like I said, him being away from this particular IP makes me a bit more interested.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I always felt kotor had the style and feeling of Star Wars down best. Sorry tie fighter and Jedi knight. It wasn't even a close fight in my mind.

I think 2 is certainly the most interesting work to think about but it was also a very different feeling and not really a substitute for 1 unless you disliked Star Wars as it actually was.

As for mass effect...well how you finish matters

Wow, a few bits of Hudson hate in this thread.

He was mainly responsible for my favourite IP last gen and for that, I'll follow him wherever it takes him next. Here's hoping he'll still be involved in games somehow.

Good luck to him.

Hudson made his bones as project director on Knights of the Old Republic with no prior experience as lead developer. So what if you like the sequel better? It was the first proper Star Wars RPG and it was an artistic and commercial success, one of the titles that pushed the original Xbox. Of course it didn't have Baldur's Gate insane level of content but it was a dense RPG that established some of the pillars of BioWare design.

It was his idea to do Mass Effect as a trilogy, creating an original IP with the scope and depth of the Star Wars universe. No matter how you slice it, that's a bold proposal and, considering how beloved the universe is, a good call.

I've posted enough criticism of the Mass Effect 3's direction in other threads - I don't think this is the place for it. Hudson is a world builder and it was cool to play in his worlds for a bit.

3073.shepanderson.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

You did good, son.

Freeman

Banned
Good news I hope he doesn't go to any studio I like, Bioware could do with getting rid of a certain writer as well.

I'm not too bummed by this, because Casey Hudson is directly and indirectly responsible for a lot of the flaws in the story aspects of ME1-3. That said, he did create a great scifi universe that drew in a lot of people by homaging old space opera and is probably the only non-movie western space opera thing guaranteed to get greenlit for a while.

Hudson made his bones as project director on Knights of the Old Republic with no prior experience as lead developer. So what if you like the sequel better? It was the first proper Star Wars RPG and it was an artistic and commercial success, one of the titles that pushed the original Xbox. Of course it didn't have Baldur's Gate insane level of content but it was a dense RPG that established some of the pillars of BioWare design.

It was his idea to do Mass Effect as a trilogy, creating an original IP with the scope and depth of the Star Wars universe. No matter how you slice it, that's a bold proposal and, considering how beloved the universe is, a good call.

I've posted enough criticism of the Mass Effect 3's direction in other threads - I don't think this is the place for it. Hudson is a world builder and it was cool to play in his worlds for a bit.

3073.shepanderson.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

You did good, son.

This. Good luck on his future endeavors. I look forward to whatever he works on next.

I respect him a whole lot for what he brought to Bioware, but knowing how he handled Mass Effect 3, I can't say that I am displeased by this revelation.

Revas

Casey Hudson played an integral role in the creation of some of my favorite games of all time, I hope he eventually finds his way back to creating games.

Renekton

Damn, he created the ME universe that we care about in the first place.

The color ending jokes are about as fresh as arrow to the knee or kappa darude cappucino.

Guri

I think some people just overuse hyperbole.

Casey Hudson is clearly competent at what he does; his resume shows that clearly. Anyway that says otherwise is just ignorant. I think the only thing he needs to be away from is Mass Effect. I feel like he lost perspective, and it negatively impacted the game.

I'm interested in what he does next -- but, like I said, him being away from this particular IP makes me a bit more interested.

Yeah, I understand, but still hard to see.

I agree. It's true that a lot of talent has left BioWare as of late, but I'm also of the mind that there are still some writers working there that are worth supporting.

As much flak as he's gotten, I think David Gaider is still a pretty competent writer. Same goes for Weekes, whom GAF loves for Mordin (among other fan-favorite ME companions).

What has Gaider done at BioWare and why is he getting flak? Aside from the ME leads, I'm not familiar with the names behind their titles.

And I hope I didn't come across too hostile. You'd think hyperbole (whether is or not to the user) wouldn't mean a thing after being here so long as both a lurker and a member, but it never fails to grate my nerves.

Broank

Wow was not expecting that. Maybe with the EA stuff and the doctors leaving he was looking for the right time to move on. Wonder what will happen with his new game though? That's the next gen game I was most looking forward to probably

KOTOR and Mass Effect are two of my favorite games/series of all time.

foxtrot3d

Banned
WHHHAAATTTT!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!!

I'll always be upset with the endings of Mass Effect 3 but this is the guy who created Mass Effect in the first place, it was his idea, his baby. How can he just leave? WHHHYYYYY????

I'm actually really sad to see him go, I really do hope he remains in the game business, maybe start his own studio.

EDIT:

I'm just staring at the Mass Effect 1 icon on my desktop and I'm legitimately sad.

Phamit

Wow was not expecting that. Maybe with the EA stuff and the doctors leaving he was looking for the right time to move on. Wonder what will happen with his new game though? That's the next gen game I was most looking forward to probably

KOTOR and Mass Effect are two of my favorite games/series of all time.

He said the foundation of the New Ip is done and ready for pre-production. Thats why he leaving now to take a break and from the sound of the letter I actually believe thats just it.

zashga

Wonder how this will impact the future Mass Effect games. I am hoping that some of the RPG elements from the first game with a mix of stuff from the last 2 get all combined into one massive game.

Could be bad. I heard Hudson was big on RGB elements in Mass Effect.

Am I doing it right?

Gaider is the lead writer of the Dragon Age series. He also wrote HK-47 for KOTOR among other characters.

So I can assume the Anders stuff people were throwing a fit about around DA II is part of the flak? And can I also assume he's the one who has been quoted about BioWare's stances on LGBT subjects in their titles?

Overall I think he's provided good work and sticks around a bit longer.

Back OT, I agree with those that its a shame to see [one of] the creator of Mass Effect depart despite the rumors that lack proper context and the BS statements made in the promotion of ME3.

Ralemont

not me
So I can assume the Anders stuff people were throwing a fit about around DA II is part of the flak? And can I also assume he's the one who has been quoted about BioWare's stances on LGBT subjects in their titles?

Overall I think he's provided good work and sticks around a bit longer.

He didn't write Anders in DA2 specifically, but he is lead writer for the series. So I guess it depends what the Anders flak was. If it deals with Anders' larger role at the end of DA2 then yeah that's probably it. He's also written fan favorites such as Morrigan, Shale, Alistair. If you've seen his blog posts then you can probably tell he excels at snarky characters (kudos to the HK-47 mention above).

But yes to the LGBT quotes.

Sayers

Oh come on, stop being so serious all the time :)

IIRC Anders in DAII was not written by him, but rather a new guy (or a new woman, as it were). That's why Anders in DAII was so starkly different than Anders in DA: Awakening

DA2 Anders was written by Jennifer Hepler. Gaider wrote him in DAA.

Top Bottom