• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Tennant will return for the DOCTOR WHO 50th Anniversary Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Billie Piper too. Joined by John Hurt (Alien, The Naked Civil Servant).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwh...-ANNOUNCES-ALL-STAR-CAST-FOR-50th-ANNIVERSARY
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/317980963969839104
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/317984223736782848

BGmyAIMCMAEqvlu.jpg:large
BGm093xCYAAr9O-.jpg:large

Press Release:
David Tennant and Billie Piper to return for blockbuster celebrations with John Hurt also confirmed.

The BBC has today revealed some of the all-star cast that will mark the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who. David Tennant and Billie Piper will join current Doctor and companion, Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman, while John Hurt (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Alien, Harry Potter) will also co-star.

Last seen as the Doctor on January 1st 2010, this will be the first time Tennant has reprised his role as the Tenth Doctor. During his reign as the Time Lord, Tennant appeared in three series as well as several specials. He was first revealed as the Doctor in the 2005 series finale, ‘The Parting of the Ways’.

Meanwhile Billie Piper, who played companion Rose Tyler for two series following the reboot in 2005, will appear in the show for the first time since featuring in Tennant’s last episode, ‘The End of Time’ in 2010.

Also confirmed to join the cast is John Hurt who will also co-star in the 3D anniversary special that will form part of blockbuster celebrations, set to take over the BBC. Produced by BBC Cymru Wales for BBC One, the 50th anniversary will be written by Steven Moffat and Directed by Nick Hurran.

Filming for the 50th anniversary starts this week. Meanwhile a brand new series starts on BBC ONE today (30 March) at 6:15pm for a run of eight epic episodes, which officially introduces the Doctor’s newest companion, Clara Oswald, played by Jenna-Louise Coleman.

The special airs on November 23rd, 2013. Hopefully, this news is just the tip of the iceberg. (Who is back on tonight, also- don't miss it! BBC1/America!)

bengraven

Great news!

I'm assuming this will take place during their adventures, since the Rose storyline wrapped up pretty cleanly.

Would be awesome to see Amy and Rory, too.

I tried watching Doctor Who, I really tried, but I found it completely uninteresting.

There is no place for you here. You will be crushed by rabid fan squee'ing. I was pretty shocked by this. I think Moffatt's definitely been strong-armed by execs here, he's seemed very keen to distance himself as far from the RTD era as possible.

I'm just hoping this means Eccleston will come back, considering he's been pretty positive (well, not outrightly negative as he was before) on the matter as of late. I've been rewatching Series 1 this past week, and it's so good. Like, I love Tennant, but I would easily trade both a Smith and a Tennant season to get one more Eccleston series.

Would be awesome to see Amy and Rory, too.

I think they've been locked not to return. Would honestly be a little bit of a wet blanket after last year's emotional departure, and I think Moffatt unlike RTD can keep his dead/departed companions dead or departed. Rose returning in Season 4 was such a "what?!" moment, completely diminishes Doomsday.

Tennant coming back is great. Not sure how I feel about Rose coming back though.

Now we need Eccleston AND Paul McGann.

And John Barrowman.

TimmiT

I've been watching the show recently and loved it up to the point Moffat took over as showrunner. After that most episodes are either mediocre or crap. It's not Matt Smith's fault, cause he is a good Doctor, but the writing isn't as good as it used to be. Also Moffat doesn't seem to give a fuck about continuity. :V

But hey, maybe this special will be good? Hopefully?

Don't expect Eccleston, guys. By all accounts they pursued him, but he turned them down.

Give me McGann and Tom Baker, and I'll be set.

meow

Agree with some of the other posters here, STOP BRINGING BACK ROSE. It got old the first time she re-showed up!!!

jstripes

Banned
I've been watching the show recently and loved it up to the point Moffat took over as showrunner. After that most episodes are either mediocre or crap. It's not Matt Smith's fault, cause he is a good Doctor, but the writing isn't as good as it used to be. Also Moffat doesn't seem to give a fuck about continuity. :V

I'm the opposite. I found Doctor Who to be somewhat trying up until Moffat took over, and then it was amazing.

Quick

Banned
I'd assume Eccleston is still busy with Thor: The Dark World. Though, that has to be at the tail end of production if they still plan to release it on November 8.

FillerB

Now all we need it to bring back John Simm and everything will be complete!

[IMG ]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8b/Master_with_laser_screwdriver.png/220px-Master_with_laser_screwdriver.png[/IMG]

Yes please. Also if it requires that super-aging-crap they pulled in "Sound Of Drums"/"Last Of The Timelords" to bring either of the Bakers back then that is a sacrifice that must be made.

Episode is shaping up well, why ruin it?

Hush you. He was an awesome Master as long as your willing to forget that "The End of Time" ever happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom