• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Tennant will return for the DOCTOR WHO 50th Anniversary Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not when it comes to commissioning eps.

I just don't see how they can have Tennant and Smith in one hour long episode and make it faithful without it being awful. This obsession with splitting up episodes over a year and making one-parter finales is really starting to grate on me.

isual

There's two potential start points really:

1) Series One (2005) - this is when the show restarted. Who has been going for 50 years, but in 2005 came back after being off-air since 1989 (with a one-off special in 1996). This is the start of the modern show. It is a direct continuation from the old show, but gradually seeds in elements from the old series so you can learn all about the lore and such. This series introduced a whole new generation to Doctor Who in Britain who hadn't grown up with it on TV.

2) Series Five (2010) - This is the one (also series six) with the cute redhead you mentioned. In 2010, the show top brass swapped out, and they created this as a jumping on point. Similar to 2005, this is a continuation (it literally picks up about 30 seconds after the cliffhanger ending of the last 'era') but also all-new, and seeds in the information you need to know gradually. That said, it is fairly reliant on things established before - there's characters and enemies that continue their plot lines directly from the 2005 series, because knowledge is assumed - whereas when 2005's series was introducing enemies from the old series, they had to assume there were 10 year olds who had never heard of these guys. You won't be missing out if you haven't seen 2005-2009, but you will find you'll enjoy certain things and changes they made more if you have that knowledge.

Also there's 3) which is "Soon" - if you don't want to or lack the time to marathon a ton of old TV - as it sounds like the current Doctor is fairly likely to be coming to the end of his tenure at the end of this year. The show bosses are staying the same at least through 2014, but a change of Doctor means we'll probably get another fairly clean break and jumping on point.

I would personally recommend Series 1 - it has aged pretty poorly, but is still brilliant, I think. If you're more fickle about bad effects and a few real clanger episodes, though, Series Five may be the best place to start.

Seven series' sounds like a lot, but it's only 13 episodes a series, plus around 10-11 special episodes from Christmas and other major events. On Netflix Doctor Who is split in two - old (pre 2005) and new (2005 on). IMO the best path is just to find the 2005 series and click play and watch all the way through to the present day. If you enjoy that, people can recommend the very best of old Who (63-96) for you to check out if you're so inclined.

If you watch, please come join us in GAF's official DoctorI Who thread, as we all love being voyeurs and hearing reviews of old episodes from people experiencing them for the first time!

thanks. I may torrent series 5. I'm surprised that the series are only 13 episodes each - i'm assuming that they're all at least 1 hour. I'm currently in the need of 'wanting' Brit shows such as Sherlock with B. Cumberbatch.

Not when it comes to commissioning eps.
I don't know if they announced that detail on commissioning? The source for 60 minutes is BBC Worldwide (the toy event?), so could be subject to change?

I read it described as feature length today, but think that may just be assumption reporting as it's not in the release.

I don't know if they announced that detail on commissioning? The source for 60 minutes is BBC Worldwide (the toy event?), so could be subject to change?

I read it described as feature length today, but think that may just be assumption reporting as it's not in the release.

even if they did comission it at 60 minutes could easily turn out at 75 when filmed,

Tennant coming back?!

SxyngQ8.gif

Piper coming back?!

x1WTBLM.gif

Rich!

so uh

I've only ever watched the Baker series and Eccelston's one. That's it. Never watched any of Tennant's apart from one episode which involved a chavvy estate and some gypo kids, and I watched the last xmas special with Matt Smith, purely because Melia (Xenoblade) was the main girl in it (and now his companion I see).

where do I start? should I watch the tennant stuff?

zychi

Banned
In fairness, you're going to struggle to miss it. The BBC has put this out on all its official news channels, twitter, a press release, etc etc. It'll be in all the papers tomorrow. The BBC don't consider this a spoiler, it seems.

I'm in the US, its VERY easy to avoid Doctor Who news.

obin_gam

thanks. I may torrent series 5. I'm surprised that the series are only 13 episodes each - i'm assuming that they're all at least 1 hour. I'm currently in the need of 'wanting' Brit shows such as Sherlock with B. Cumberbatch.

You should really jump on series 1 (2005), by jumping on on series 5 your missing out on some great new who adventures...

so uh

I've only ever watched the Baker series and Eccelston's one. That's it. Never watched any of Tennant's apart from one episode which involved a chavvy estate and some gypo kids, and I watched the last xmas special with Matt Smith, purely because Melia (Xenoblade) was the main girl in it (and now his companion I see).

My post above applies to you as much as the other guy, if you saw through Eccleston's series - unless you're massively adverse to Tennant or elements of his series, the best path is to watch everything from 2005 on.

You should really jump on series 1 (2005), by jumping on on series 5 your missing out on some great new who adventures...

I'm really inclined to agree with obin_gam. Series 1-4 have higher highs than 5 on, but also lower lows; it's a really uneven show in that period. 5-7 are more consistent in general, which is why a lot prefer them, but there's some amazing adventures you'd be missing. The guy people are celebrating coming back is from Series 2-4, for instance, and this Donna people are (rightly) praising is from Series 4.

They're 45 minutes each for the in-series episodes. The specials are usually an hour, with one in particular stretching out to 90-some minutes.

I just wonder how some of it would hit with a first-time person from series 5. How do you react to the Auton thing if you haven't seen them in "Rose" (or another prior ep) for instance? You can roll with it, but it must not have the same impact, surely.

Mariolee

so uh

Holy crap, I never knew this.

LiK

can't wait.

so uh

start with season 1 of the reboot (Eccelston). it's a great series and the character really grow. and of course Tennant is the best Who, imo so keep watching. i don't like telling people to skip around cuz the series has some really great arcs and skipping around would confuse you or diminish the impact of some climatic moments.

I just wonder how some of it would hit with a first-time person from series 5. How do you react to the Auton thing if you haven't seen them in "Rose" (or another prior ep) for instance? You can roll with it, but it must not have the same impact, surely.

Eh, just imagine if you'd heard nothing about the classic series at all when watching 1.06 "Dalek". The Doctor's abject fear and horror wouldn't make any sense at all.

I don't see why. Dr. Who ended in 1989. There's only been 7 Doctors

so uh

Watch Classic, ignore NuWho crap.

My post above applies to you as much as the other guy, if you saw through Eccleston's series - unless you're massively adverse to Tennant or elements of his series, the best path is to watch everything from 2005 on.

I'm really inclined to agree with obin_gam. Series 1-4 have higher highs than 5 on, but also lower lows; it's a really uneven show in that period. 5-7 are more consistent in general, which is why a lot prefer them, but there's some amazing adventures you'd be missing. The guy people are celebrating coming back is from Series 2-4, for instance, and this Donna people are (rightly) praising is from Series 4.

They're 45 minutes each for the in-series episodes. The specials are usually an hour, with one in particular stretching out to 90-some minutes.

Watching new-Who without seeing The Girl in The Fireplace, The Impossible Planet, Human Nature, Blink or Midnight is missing out the best the show has to offer. Really not recommended

Eh, just imagine if you'd heard nothing about the classic series at all when watching 1.06 "Dalek". The Doctor's abject fear and horror wouldn't make any sense at all.

I couldn't disagree more, really. Dalek is the perfect introduction to that species. I'd heard of them, of course, and seen them - part of the British national consciousness - but Daleks were something of a joke to me growing up. They'd become a joke in the 80s, really, even within Who itself. A cliche. My main exposure to them was that KitKat advert where they were shouting "PEACE AND LOVE" - because I was born the year Who went off the air.

Dalek told me everything I needed to know, from the ground up, and made that 'old dumb sci fi monster from an old dumb show' fucking cool. It also laid down a whole new lore with the war. It's an incredible piece of work, and while others like Rise of the Cybermen, Utopia, The Sontaran Strategem, and... whatever those Silurian episodes were called haven't been as finessed as that, they all do a similar job.

I couldn't imagine "Victory of the Daleks" as an introduction to the race. That's an alright episode, but as an introduction? No thanks.

I'm going to be the odd man out and tell you that if you want to really get into the show Season "One" hasn't held up weld and the first episode Rose, is really corny and bad.

I've gotten my friends into the show by getting them to watch these:
Season 3 : Blink
Season 4 : Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
Then statt with Season 5
When you're all caught up and if you like it, go back and watch the other seasons-you don't really lose much by watching Smith's run first. I know plenty of people who were do put off by the first season they refused to even try again.

Case

isual

I'm going to be the odd man out and tell you that if you want to really get into the show Season "One" hasn't held up weld and the first episode Rose, is really corny and bad.

Then statt with Season 5
When you're all caught up and if you like it, go back and watch the other seasons-you don't really lose much by watching Smith's run first. I know plenty of people who were do put off by the first season they refused to even try again.

I agree on this. I'll probably start on season 5, and then I'll move back and watch the others.

What I really want to experience is one episode that will get me hooked on. Such as in the case of Sherlock's 'scandal in belgravia'.

LiK

Then statt with Season 5

first season started out slow with the first few eps but i really got invested after that. the Dalek return should not be missed. i also loved the ep involving Rose's father. great performance.

Watching new-Who without seeing The Girl in The Fireplace, The Impossible Planet, Human Nature, Blink or Midnight is missing out the best the show has to offer. Really not recommended

the impossible planet 2 part ep is by far my favourite episode of doctor who.

it's better than most sci-fi movies!

I agree on this. I'll probably start on season 5, and then I'll move back and watch the others.

What I really want to experience is one episode that will get me hooked on. Such as in the case of Sherlock's 'scandal in belgravia'.

They're definitely going to seem dated in comparison when you go back, if you want one episode to get you hooked watch Blink.

Then statt with Season 5

I agree with this, but add Midnight in season four, cause seriously. :p

Oh, Blink. If you want one episode to get hooked with watch a completely non traditional episode which doesn't really have the Doctor in it! Ho ho. It's one of the very best episodes, but still, you know. Just saying "watch all Moffat's episodes and then Series 5 on" is horse shit, I think.

The episode I got some friends into the show with was "The Impossible Planet" - I think that's a better introduction than most.

Some of the episodes, even in series one, are just so important. "Dalek" is major, and I think "Father's Day" is a really important foundation for the universe. "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" is special, too.

Okay, I've thought about it, and I'll be okay with Rose coming back....if she's introduced to the Doctor's wife. :p

Also, still wishing and hoping that Cumberbatch will be cast as the Master.....come on, it's perfect Moffat, do it!

Oh, Blink. If you want one episode to get hooked with watch a completely non traditional episode which doesn't really have the Doctor in it! Ho ho. It's one of the very best episodes, but still, you know.

The episode I got some friends into the show with was "The Impossible Planet" - I think that's a better introduction than most.

Some of the episodes, even in series one, are just so important. "Dalek" is major, and I think "Father's Day" is a really important foundation for the universe. "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" is special, too.

Fathers Day, while a decent episode makes no sense in the context of the rest of the series-with those silly dragon things. The rules established in this episode never even come up again.

LiK

Okay, I've thought about it, and I'll be okay with Rose coming back....if she's introduced to the Doctor's wife. :p

Also, still wishing and hoping that Cumberbatch will be cast as the Master.....come on, it's perfect Moffat, do it!

Cumberbatch as any major villain would be pretty damn sweet.

Fathers Day, while a decent episode makes no sense in the context of the rest of the series-with those silly dragon things. The rules established in this episode never even come up again.

The emotional conceit of that episode is at the core of the very series, though... and I think Fathers Day remains the best it has been done.

It all depends, anyway. You can see the split in this very thread, so volatile - not just in the 'where to start' debate but also in the reaction to Tennant coming back. If you can take it on people's honour that it gets better, start at one. If not, then move on, and start at five and maybe work backwards.

I find it pretty rich that people advise Series 5 as a starting point, though, purely because for me Series 6 is the worst they've done in terms of average quality (two particularly strong episodes boost it massively though). You plough from the most amazing series they've done to one so muddied that it's bloody grim. Five and Seven are amazing, though.

So Barrowman said he isn't coming back for the 50th Anniversary episode... Maybe there's still hope that he appears in the series that's coming, just not the anniversary episode precisely... :(

So Barrowman said he isn't coming back for the 50th Anniversary episode... Maybe there's still hope that he appears in the series that's coming, just not the anniversary episode precisely... :(

Well supposedly he was meant to be in A Good Man Goes To War if it hadn't been for the terrible Torchwood USA.

The emotional conceit of that episode is at the core of the very series, though... and I think Fathers Day remains the best it has been done.

It all depends, anyway. You can see the split in this very thread, so volatile - not just in the 'where to start' debate but also in the reaction to Tennant coming back. If you can take it on people's honour that it gets better, start at one. If not, then move on, and start at five and maybe work backwards.

I find it pretty rich that people advise Series 5 as a starting point, though, purely because for me Series 6 is the worst they've done in terms of average quality (two particularly strong episodes boost it massively though). You plough from the most amazing series they've done to one so muddied that it's bloody grim. Five and Seven are amazing, though.

S6 has "The Impossible Astronaut", "Day of the Moon", "The Doctor's Wife", "A Good Man Goes to War", "The Girl Who Waited" and "The God Complex". All great episodes. The only truly bad episode in Season 6 is "Curse of the Black Spot". The rest are good-some people hate the zaniness of "Let's Kill Hitler" and "TWORS" but they are hardly bad episodes.

S6 has "The Impossible Astronaut", "Day of the Moon", "The Doctor's Wife", "A Good Man Goes to War", "The Girl Who Waited" and "The God Complex". All great episodes. The only truly bad episode in Season 6 is "Curse of the Black Spot". The rest are good-some people hate the zaniness of "Let's Kill Hitler" and "TWORS" but they are hardly bad episodes.

It's always going to be a matter of opinion, I know, but other than The Doctor's Wife and The Girl Who Waited - that are both some of the best episodes in the entire new series. I loved Walliams in The God Complex too, that's definitely the third best of that series. I'm not saying it's a series of Fear Her's, but it just doesn't do as much for me as any of the other series... and I couldn't even really tell you why. I think a large part of it is me being dead tired of River. Thus why I adore 5 and 7 so much more; it's just the right amount. She's perfect in the 7a finale.

This is the beauty of Doctor Who, though... it changes so much and offers so many different things, it can change like that, and cause vastly differing opinions like that - and that's a good thing! It is why this show will never die.

I wouldn't write off TWORS haters because "they couldn't handle the zanyness" the episode was a complete mess. My main criticism of season 6 stems from the attempt to bring the season arc to the forefront to the shows detriment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom