• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Tennant will return for the DOCTOR WHO 50th Anniversary Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'd assume Eccleston is still busy with Thor: The Dark World. Though, that has to be at the tail end of production if they still plan to release it on November 8.

Thor: The Dark World was filmed between September 10 and December 14. They are in the post for a while now.

Rose hate comes from the fact she essentially became THE vessel for Russell T. Davies to pour some of his most mawkish, melodramatic, maudlin tendencies into Doctor Who. At some point, it became really, really cloying, and almost all of that could be (and was) traced back to the presence of Rose. So even though the character wasn't really all that bad, she ended up becoming the focal point of dissatisfaction with the showrunner.

That focus on Rose was such that Martha, who SHOULD have been an interesting, great character, was essentially reduced to being "the rebound" and nothing more. So not only was Rose's character weakened by Davies storytelling tendencies, Martha's character didn't even really get a chance before she was kneecapped (Martha's only really interesting when she does guest shots in Series 4, and on Torchwood)

That's why there's Rose hate.

Donna is still the best companion of the modern era.

tumblr_m4pzb3h8bX1qf9pr7.gif

isual

seriously. what is up with this show ? I know people in uni who love this show.

where do I start ? what series ? I also want to watch the series with that cute looking red head.

where do I start ? what series ? I also want to watch the series with that cute looking red head.

People will tell you to start with Series 5 Ep1 (2010), but start with Series 1 Ep1 from 2005.

You can just jump on at that point, actually: Series 5 was written specifically to make it easier for newcomers to climb aboard.

Quick

Banned

You have 3 jump-in points. Series 1, with the 9th Doctor, Series 2 with the 10th, or Series 5 with the 11th.

11th has Amy Pond if you're focused on red hair.

8bit

Knows the Score

She first appears in the Runaway Bride, but you could start with Partners In Crime instead.

Axiom

Looking forward to seeing Tennant again, do wish it was Donna instead of Rose.

I don't hate Rose, but my dislike of her is based on the fact that if they have a relationship it's because she helped him work through his trauma by just being the normal nice girl that reminded him of why hanging around humans is good for him

But compare a Rose to a Romana, Sarah-Jane or a Madame de Pompadour. Those are women of a type you can totally see the Doctor having feelings for. Before they met him, they were accomplished, intelligent and independent women and they stayed that way afterwards.
Rose never demonstrated anything much remarkable of her own will that wasn't based on her love for The Doctor and running away from her boring life, and when she lost the Doctor she just bummed around in a depressed haze.

I can totally understand her loving The Doctor like that, I can totally understand her being distraught at losing him - but we're supposed to believe The Doctor felt the same way and I was never convinced, even taking into account his incredible trauma.

It didn't help that her shadow ended up wasting the great potential of Martha.

There's two potential start points really:

1) Series One (2005) - this is when the show restarted. Who has been going for 50 years, but in 2005 came back after being off-air since 1989 (with a one-off special in 1996). This is the start of the modern show. It is a direct continuation from the old show, but gradually seeds in elements from the old series so you can learn all about the lore and such. This series introduced a whole new generation to Doctor Who in Britain who hadn't grown up with it on TV.

2) Series Five (2010) - This is the one (also series six) with the cute redhead you mentioned. In 2010, the show top brass swapped out, and they created this as a jumping on point. Similar to 2005, this is a continuation (it literally picks up about 30 seconds after the cliffhanger ending of the last 'era') but also all-new, and seeds in the information you need to know gradually. That said, it is fairly reliant on things established before - there's characters and enemies that continue their plot lines directly from the 2005 series, because knowledge is assumed - whereas when 2005's series was introducing enemies from the old series, they had to assume there were 10 year olds who had never heard of these guys. You won't be missing out if you haven't seen 2005-2009, but you will find you'll enjoy certain things and changes they made more if you have that knowledge.

Also there's 3) which is "Soon" - if you don't want to or lack the time to marathon a ton of old TV - as it sounds like the current Doctor is fairly likely to be coming to the end of his tenure at the end of this year. The show bosses are staying the same at least through 2014, but a change of Doctor means we'll probably get another fairly clean break and jumping on point.

I would personally recommend Series 1 - it has aged pretty poorly, but is still brilliant, I think. If you're more fickle about bad effects and a few real clanger episodes, though, Series Five may be the best place to start.

Seven series' sounds like a lot, but it's only 13 episodes a series, plus around 10-11 special episodes from Christmas and other major events. On Netflix Doctor Who is split in two - old (pre 2005) and new (2005 on). IMO the best path is just to find the 2005 series and click play and watch all the way through to the present day. If you enjoy that, people can recommend the very best of old Who (63-96) for you to check out if you're so inclined.

If you watch, please come join us in GAF's official Doctor Who thread, as we all love being voyeurs and hearing reviews of old episodes from people experiencing them for the first time!

zychi

Banned
Kind of a dick move op. was trying to be totally blacked out about the anniversary til i read your thread title. Not gonna read the actual post either.

FillerB

Kind of a dick move op. was trying to be totally blacked out about the anniversary til i read your thread title. Not gonna read the actual post either.

I understand that it can feel as a dick move but did anyone honestly expect Tennant not to come back for the anniversary special? Like it or not but for many, many people the guy is the Doctor.

In fairness, you're going to struggle to miss it. The BBC has put this out on all its official news channels, twitter, a press release, etc etc. It'll be in all the papers tomorrow. The BBC don't consider this a spoiler, it seems.

Sober

Rose is only tolerable with Eccleston. I didn't think her and Tennant worked that well together
Yep, hit the nail on the head. She was good with 9, but with 10 it was really hit or miss most of the time.

Donna is the best regular companion. Would've been epic if it were Donna and Wilf with Tennant at the same time. I wonder if Donna and 11 would make a decent combination...

Obligatory companion rating

Wilf>Jack=Rory>Donna>S5-6 Amy> Rose> S7 Amy> Martha > All cameo's by Rose and Martha>>>>>>>> that one smart dude from S1> River.

batbeg

Obligatory companion rating

Wilf>Jack=Rory>Donna>S5-6 Amy> Rose> S7 Amy> Martha > All cameo's by Rose and Martha>>>>>>>> that one smart dude from S1> River.

I can get behind this position, at lest (and probably the rest!). I liked River in the beginning, and I liked the concept of their out of time relationship, but she became so aggravating.

SPOILERS:
SPOILERS!

Christ.

aceface

So is this an actual show (story, scripted and whatnot) or a special retrospective where they just assemble the actors and have them talk about their roles?

zedge

Rose hate comes from the fact she essentially became THE vessel for Russell T. Davies to pour some of his most mawkish, melodramatic, maudlin tendencies into Doctor Who. At some point, it became really, really cloying, and almost all of that could be (and was) traced back to the presence of Rose. So even though the character wasn't really all that bad, she ended up becoming the focal point of dissatisfaction with the showrunner.

That focus on Rose was such that Martha, who SHOULD have been an interesting, great character, was essentially reduced to being "the rebound" and nothing more. So not only was Rose's character weakened by Davies storytelling tendencies, Martha's character didn't even really get a chance before she was kneecapped (Martha's only really interesting when she does guest shots in Series 4, and on Torchwood)

That's why there's Rose hate.

Donna is still the best companion of the modern era.
I suppose I can understand that. I like Martha too, and really like Donna.

So is this an actual show (story, scripted and whatnot) or a special retrospective where they just assemble the actors and have them talk about their roles?

Yes, this is a proper episode. There will no doubt be a bunch of retrospective shows and stuff but this is the real deal- an all-new episode, airing on the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who's original 1963 broadcast.

yes it's a proper episode and it's being broadcast in 3d in the uk and is being given a limited worldwide cinema release

+1 Rose hate. Can't stand her.

I'm happy about Tennant although, truth be told, I'm still not over his pathetic reaction to his regeneration during his last episode. I would prefer to see Eccleston, who did go out like a baws.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm happy about Tennant although, truth be told, I'm still not over his pathetic reaction to his regeneration during his last episode. I would prefer to see Eccleston, who did go out like a baws.

9 shows up just to call 10 a pansy and leaves.

So Jack and Martha are definitely out. As are Amy and Rory. Out of the four, Jack really gets me. Because Torchwood is shit, and he's Moffat's character for gods sake. Not good. Billie Piper I can take or leave, I'd like Donna & The Master in some capacity.

The Master if you forget the whole "MMM CHEESE AND CHICKEN AND CHIPS" thing alongside the poorly animated CGI x ray skull and force lightning. Honestly RTD, why you decided to royally fuck up that character before you left, I'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom