• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

So, if anyone wants to play some Trials this evening...I'll be on in about an hour or so from this post.

As far as the BWU is concerned...well...it's pretty clear they're not close to the Spring update. Bungie really did themselves a disservice by setting the expectations of a drip feed of new content. I feel bad for them and for us as the players.

I'm game. Seems like drizz will have to take several bubble baths to dilute that salt still :p

That part about the designers though..damn

Axoman

Today we also learned that the guy who introduced the terrible Year 2 Trials match making has never gone flawless. The guy who makes the decisions for Trials has played 74 total games across Years 1 and 2 combined.

The guy who added laggy win-based MM to Trials because it was too easy to get to Mercury... has never been to Mercury.

Did I miss this? Where did you find this out?

E92 M3

He doesn't have to be good. He does have to play. 74 games is unacceptable. He hasn't played for 4 months.

You have to engage with an activity to understand how it should be designed. It also helps to be good sometimes. That's why 343 hired Halo pros.

edit: it especially helps to be good when designing competitive modes. e.g. Fusion rifle and hand cannon nerfs

And that's the problem; a lot of folk at Bungie don't understand their own game when making changes. It's like a bunch of Deejs developing Destiny haha.

343 did very right by hiring pros for balancing purposes (best Halo sandbox yet).

Homeboyd

Everyone is already playing other games/doing other stuff. The concern is about how they represent the game's future. There's a difference between being upfront about content delays and straight up trolling the player base with that update. It's either a troll or just painfully out of touch, and both options are discouraging.
Right, but I'm saying completely rip off the bandaid. Definitely not supporting the deej-speak at all... it's just that he doesn't have anything meaningful to tell you right now. He may not for a month... or 3 months. I'm just saying no harm done to just move on as if destiny "1" doesn't even exist and when the news starts dropping for the next big thing, people can come back happy. Clearly there's nothing to do or talk about right now (and tbh, there's hasn't been for months).

I understand your frustration, but this is one point that I don't think holds any merit.

Plenty of designers out there are terrible at their own games. It's not uncommon. There isn't really a correlation between the developers skill level, and the quality of content they put out.

Hell, Miyamoto has never beaten the special world levels in Super Mario world.

I think in a live game like Destiny it is a bit more valid of an issue. Without significant experience you shouldn't make negative changes to the game in an area that nobody complained about. There's nothing wrong with devs not being terrific at their game, but it baffles me that someone who couldn't make it to Mercury themselves thought trials was too easy and made a change that has significantly lessened the experience, made it more difficult, and that nobody wanted.

@Ape and Igor: I might be around later tonight, but don't wait around for me. Take Senpei Todd. If I play Trials this week it'll probably be to attempt to deflower a Mercury virgin or two.

Right, but I'm saying completely rip off the bandaid. Definitely not supporting the deej-speak at all... it's just that he doesn't have anything meaningful to tell you right now. He may not for a month... or 3 months. I'm just saying no harm done to just move on as if destiny "1" doesn't even exist and when the news starts dropping for the next big thing, people can come back happy. Clearly there's nothing to do or talk about right now (and tbh, there's hasn't been for months).

Yeah, I totally agree with you. It's good advice. The only reason I can't completely rip off the band-aid is because of this community and the people here. I'll probably always be invested in Destiny's future because of that. If I totally peace'ed out on Destiny 1 then realistically I'd disappear into other stuff, and I don't want to do that. I'm trying to ride out the bad times but we keep hitting new lows and sometimes it bums me out, haha.

Homeboyd

Yeah, I totally agree with you. It's good advice. The only reason I can't completely rip off the band-aid is because of this community and the people here. I'll probably always be invested in Destiny's future because of that. If I totally peace'ed out on Destiny 1 then realistically I'd disappear into other stuff, and I don't want to do that. I'm trying to ride out the bad times but we keep hitting new lows and sometimes it bums me out, haha.

Yeah I would've bailed a long time ago if not for our group, so I get that for sure. I tried to go play other games when I stopped playing Destiny around October, but nothing has really interested me like Destiny yr 1 did, so I'm just not playing anything. Kind of sucks, but I'm sure I'll be back for Destino when they've got something for us to do. At least now I don't worry about reading BWUs (or whatever tf they're called now) or feel like I need to play each day or week. Just cold turkey'd it. It's the only way.

E92 M3

Yeah I would've bailed a long time ago if not for our group, so I get that for sure. I tried to go play other games when I stopped playing Destiny around October, but nothing has really interested me like Destiny yr 1 did, so I'm just not playing anything. Kind of sucks, but I'm sure I'll be back for Destino when they've got something for us to do. At least now I don't worry about reading BWUs (or whatever tf they're called now), feeling like I need to play each day or week. Just cold turkey'd it. It's the only way.

The best we can hope is for those good ol' days to return where our group played Destiny after work till midnight lol.

WipedOut

Yeah I would've bailed a long time ago if not for our group, so I get that for sure. I tried to go play other games when I stopped playing Destiny around October, but nothing has really interested me like Destiny yr 1 did, so I'm just not playing anything. Kind of sucks, but I'm sure I'll be back for Destino when they've got something for us to do. At least now I don't worry about reading BWUs (or whatever tf they're called now) or feel like I need to play each day or week. Just cold turkey'd it. It's the only way.
Hopefully I'll have a new xbox by the time you make your Drammatic return

My expectation right now is that September will be when I re-invest in Destiny.

The Spring Update is going to be nothing:

>A light level increase when it should be a light level removal and return to House of Wolves style progression.

>No changes to loot drip-drops or accompanying RNG frustration.

>At best, the new PVE content will a few tidbits like strikes or missions. Updated Year one raids would be OK (certainly rather play those for max LL gear) but not if they add the Taken in. I hate the Taken :)

My playtime is better spent with other games, right now. Less frustration. I won't give up the Crucible though.

phen0m24

So here we are.

It's like we're watching the credits of Episode VII and stuck waiting for JJ or anyone else to tell us anything about Episode VIII.

We are the ambassadors of the community. Deej has kind of abandoned it to us. He doesn't play. I'm grateful that the BNG guys read here, but what they ought to do is to invite us to those private test builds they play in sometimes, give us NDA's and let us offer ideas.

Then we come here and use words like hype and we can't wait. :) people would believe us.

Deku Tree

So here we are.

It's like we're watching the credits of Episode VII and stuck waiting for JJ or anyone else to tell us anything about Episode VIII.

We are the ambassadors of the community. Deej has kind of abandoned it to us. He doesn't play. I'm grateful that the BNG guys read here, but what they ought to do is to invite us to those private test builds they play in sometimes, give us NDA's and let us offer ideas.

Then we come here and use words like hype and we can't wait. :) people would believe us.

If they did that and we signed NDAs then how would we know?

GhaleonEB

So now the TWAB is to troll Bungle Message Board users.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/195811214/0/0

Deej's reply if it's not near the top...

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/195860246/0/0

Can someone outline what happened here? The b.net forums are an out of order jumble to me and I can't tell what the links actually mean.

Wait, why does his Warlock have the year 1 flawless emblem, though?

I didn't check his characters that closely. Not sure why he wouldn't have the grimoire though, maybe it's a year 2 thing. Like I mentioned before, the issue is more about the lack of time played than any skill level. And he has a 0.77 k/d so whether or not he got carried to flawless isn't super important.

edit: looks like he went flawless year 1, but he's played 28 games total in year 2 and never gone flawless. That's 28 games with the new MM settings that he implemented. There's no possible way he can tell if they were a good idea or not based on his own experiences.

He has 10 total wins in Year 2. He's never going to notice win-based MM if he can't win.

keakster

Can someone outline what happened here? The b.net forums are an out of order jumble to me and I can't tell what the links actually mean.

SBjRMiv.png

Pretty disappointing to an engaged community member such as myself to have the official Bungie response to legitimate questions be trolling responses.

GhaleonEB

Click on the last line of the weekly update.

I did. That took me to the jumbled mess that is the b.net forums. Posts under it don't seem time stamped in order (I don't visit those forums, ever). I have no idea what Deej actually did or why he linked to it. (Also don't know what POTW from that link means.)

Pretty disappointing to an engaged community member such as myself to have the official Bungie response to legitimate questions be trolling responses.

I see, so Deej's post was just a reference to an older post (or thread?).

Sigh.

phen0m24

Am I going to a unicorn again if I get it for Xbox One? If so Ill get it on PS4. I just dont have friends on PS4. Xbox One on the other hand I have a lot.

How are you guys finding people to play with?

looks around

shakes head

You realize like 95% of us are playing it on PS4 LS, right? :)

I did. That took me to the jumbled mess that is the b.net forums. Posts under it don't seem time stamped in order (I don't visit those forums, ever). I have no idea what Deej actually did or why he linked to it. (Also don't know what POTW from that link means.)

Sigh.

The one where the guy will not-so-conveniently bite a duck's head off and bash his Xbox with it. (of course Deej "plays" on Xbox)

WipedOut

Am I going to a unicorn again if I get it for Xbox One? If so Ill get it on PS4. I just dont have friends on PS4. Xbox One on the other hand I have a lot.

How are you guys finding people to play with?
You can't go wrong with either console, they have matchmaking for everything

ocean

Banned

Sigh.
Someone posted a super hyperbolic "if you say we'll talk more in the future I'll ______" (something like eat a duck head or something".

Deej replied: "in the future we'll talk more. Your move."

Which would have been funnier if that weren't the actual gist of the weekly update.

Top Bottom