• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT40| Killed by the Architects

The more I think about it, the more I think that if Deej were my Community Manager he would be fired after what he did tonight. For as much crap as we give him, most of it likely isn't his fault. Whether it's at Bungie or Activision, someone is likely telling him what he can and can't say. I would argue that he needs to push back against them and say "Hey our community is begging for information and it's getting drastic, we need to do something." And maybe he is. Maybe he just can't get through and is extremely frustrated.

But all that aside, when you start trolling the community that you're supposed to be supporting, building and interacting with, that's a serious problem. What he did tonight to that forum user isn't a simple joke, jest or serve any purpose. He is looking the community in the eye and in a very public way not only saying "we don't care" but spitting in our face. From a professional perspective, he has crossed the line and honestly Bungie deserves better. They have a history of being close to their community and his words and actions are not representative of that.

E92 M3

I HAVE A SON!!!

Congrats man!

The more I think about it, the more I think that if Deej were my Community Manager he would be fired after what he did tonight. For as much crap as we give him, most of it likely isn't his fault. Whether it's at Bungie or Activision, someone is likely telling him what he can and can't say. I would argue that he needs to push back against them and say "Hey our community is begging for information and it's getting drastic, we need to do something." And maybe he is. Maybe he just can't get through and is extremely frustrated.

But all that aside, when you start trolling the community that you're supposed to be supporting, building and interacting with, that's a serious problem. What he did tonight to that forum user isn't a simple joke, jest or serve any purpose. He is looking the community in the eye and in a very public way not only saying "we don't care" but spitting in our face. From a professional perspective, he has crossed the line and honestly Bungie deserves better. They have a history of being close to their community and his words and actions are not representative of that.

I agree. Deej feels very disconnected from the community he is trying to manage.

Korosenai

Nah, enjoy the sunset though, Saturday I'll be here :)

image.jpg

15 minutes down the road.

You're taking your ps4 with you aren't you? ;)

GhaleonEB

Someone posted a super hyperbolic "if you say we'll talk more in the future I'll ______" (something like eat a duck head or something".

Deej replied: "in the future we'll talk more. Your move."

Which would have been funnier if that weren't the actual gist of the weekly update.
Yeah.

On the one hand, that's actually kind of funny.

On the other hand we're six months post TTK, with a new Live team that has delivered some temporal events but no content, and Bungie's engagement about its plans with the player base, beyond Soon(TM), has been silence. They don't even acknowledge the stagnation it's created and discuss conceptual plans. Instead, that post comes across as making fun of the community who are quite reasonably exasperated by the lack of communication.

Deej probably felt he was just being the former, and not doing the latter. But in reality it was a bit of both.

I HAVE A SON!!!
Congrats. You, like Destiny, are now dad.

I HAVE A SON!!!

That's great news John, congrats to you and your wife :)

Today we also learned that the guy who introduced the terrible Year 2 Trials match making has never gone flawless. The guy who makes the decisions for Trials has played 74 total games across Years 1 and 2 combined.

The guy who added laggy win-based MM to Trials because it was too easy to get to Mercury... has never been to Mercury.

74 games... Daylight savings... My salt levels are too high right now.

I understand your frustration, but this is one point that I don't think holds any merit.

Plenty of designers out there are terrible at their own games. It's not uncommon. There isn't really a correlation between the developers skill level, and the quality of content they put out.

Hell, Miyamoto has never beaten the special world levels in Super Mario world.

Bungie: We make games we like to play.

Yeah, No!

Axoman

It is possible bungie employees have different accounts that we wouldn't necessarily know about, so it is feasible that Derek has played way more trials than we know.

However, I'd be willing to bet he hasn't played that much and instead plays his spreadsheets of data and makes decisions from that.

Yeah.

On the other hand we're six months post TTK, with a new Live team that has delivered some temporal events but no content, and Bungie's engagement about its plans with the player base, beyond Soon(TM), has been silence. They don't even acknowledge the stagnation it's created and discuss conceptual plans. Instead, that post comes across as making fun of the community who are quite reasonably exasperated by the lack of communication.

Deej probably felt he was just being the former, and not doing the latter. But in reality it was a bit of both. .

It reminds me of Luke's Eurogamer interview. It'd be funny in the right context but this isn't the right context. It's different when you represent the game as a designer or (even worse) community manager. Sarcasm is really hard to pull off, and for me personally the internet sarcasm wears thin fast. Especially with Deej where the community has politely (and impolitely) stated what they want from him 1000x over.

Kinda like if your friend makes a joke at your expense you laugh it off, but when a stranger says the same thing it comes off rude. Bungie has distanced themselves so much from the community by now that their jokes feel like the latter.

Congrats John! 8D

Yeah.

Deej probably felt he was just being the former, and not doing the latter. But in reality it was a bit of both.

This was one of my worries when they announced Microtransactions. And the impression they're giving off is that most of the work has gone into those microtransactions.

And honestly, I would prefer the expansion system Year 1 had. Sure, having something like TDB for 4 months until the next xpac would be harrowing, but atleast we would know that new content is coming on a precise date.

Right now it's like...staring into the ether..

It is possible bungie employees have different accounts that we wouldn't necessarily know about, so it is feasible that Derek has played way more trials than we know.

However, I'd be willing to bet he hasn't played that much and instead plays his spreadsheets of data and makes decisions from that.

Entirely possible, but he posts screenshots on his Twitter account using that PSN. So it'd be weird to hide some heavily played Destiny account when he's open about an account he barely plays.

Bottom line is it's not terribly important what his k/d is or if he's gone Y1 flawless. The Trials MM change reeked of someone who doesn't play the mode, and that turns out to be the case. As Hammon said, it changed something for the worse that didn't need to be changed at all. If he played more, he might realize why Y2 Trials < Y1.

Does Y2 virgin count? If so I'll be around later this weekend :)

For sure! I know there are a lot of Y2 virgins due to the MM changes. Besides, we wouldn't want to exclude Derek Carrol from the running...

output_i6VRBl.gif

chur

Got a Vanity with zen moment, rifled, and icarus. Feels pretty great. I just wish it had a bigger magazine though.

the_id

Entirely possible, but he posts screenshots on his Twitter account using that PSN. So it'd be weird to hide some heavily played Destiny account when he's open about an account he barely plays.

Bottom line is it's not terribly important what his k/d is or if he's gone Y1 flawless. The Trials MM change reeked of someone who doesn't play the mode, and that turns out to be the case. As Hammon said, it changed something for the worse that didn't need to be changed at all. If he played more, he might realize why Y2 Trials < Y1.

For sure! I know there are a lot of Y2 virgins due to the MM changes. Besides, we wouldn't want to exclude Derek Carrol from the running...

output_i6VRBl.gif

Can I be included in the year 2 Virgin carry as well? Been practicing but I need to be with a good team. Closest I've been was with merhman and maomao.

My bad, Ape. Lost track of time playing the Division and didn't bother checking GAF for the past couple of hours. Read your PM about 10 minutes ago. Would have been up for it if I had checked GAF earlier.

Congrats, dude!

All good brotha. Done for tonight but I'll be on for more tomorrow.

Namikaze1

You liking it?
So far, yes. Haven't done much DZ stuff yet. Been mostly doing the PvE stuff. Though I'm kinda getting sick of going around getting these damn collectibles. But at the same time they (the collectibles) are worth the trouble. Almost all of them has you listening to some of the shit that went down before your Agent's arrival.

I think Todd watches Anime when we play Trials...
I'm guessing he was watching the latest episode of Konosuba.

Or the second Digimon Tri ova (which I need to go watch)

All good brotha. Done for tonight but I'll be on for more tomorrow.
No problem. :)

maomaoIYP

Shit, just discovered that if you forgot to turn in your trials bounties before the weekly reset, you lose the bounties for the subsequent week. LOL

todd360

So far, yes. Haven't done much DZ stuff yet. Been mostly doing the PvE stuff. Though I'm kinda getting sick of going around getting these damn collectibles. But at the same time they (the collectibles) are worth the trouble. Almost all of them has you listening to some of the shit that went down before your Agent's arrival.

I'm guessing he was watching the latest episode of Konosuba.

Or the second Digimon Tri ova (which I need to go watch)

No problem. :)

Hey. I don't watch anime while playing trials. I was watching this though. Can't deny it.

https://youtu.be/QZutPDzv6l4

Top Bottom