• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Seems oddly specific.

I think he may have slipped with their target to completion. But it could have been misheard by me through his accent. Anyone else hear it?

I heard them just say they were targeting 2016 in general, where did they say August 20th?

It sounded like he said, "we are targeting eight twenty two thousand sixteen", but I could have misheard through the accent what he said before the 2016 part.

nampad

Robo-dinos look cool and certainly is something fresh. Gameplay was just ok-ish for me so far, just another 3rd person action adventure.
I also don't think of Guerilla as a top tier dev (besides tech wise) but I hope they can prove me wrong.

Baalzebup

Hey GAF!

Mark Norris, Senior Producer on Horizon Zero Dawn here. I just wanted to say thanks so much for the kind words from many of you on the thread here so far, and that some of your questions (but definitely not all!) will be answered over the course of the next couple days.

One thing I can confirm for you is that every single shot in the demo video was taken from in-game, and those locations are discoverable over the course of your journey.

I'll let you get back to the regularly scheduled speculation :)

!!! You demoed some really impressive stuff there. Easily the most exciting new IP shown on the event and handily rivaling any of the big killer announcements of existing IPs.

Nice to see you here. Just want to say a big thank you for two things:
- A game's reveal footage actually showing substantial gameplay. It might seem like a trivial thing but it's so rare nowadays that it's actually refreshing. And that got me hyped for the game way more than a meaningless CG trailer ever could, especially for a new IP where the gameplay is a completely unknown factor.
- A badass female protagonist that isn't wearing degrading bikini armour or skin-tight sexualized outfits, but looks and feels like she belongs as a hunter in this harsh world. Again, it's something that shouldn't be celebrated, really, but since it's also rare, well, good job! (Please don't include a bikini outfit DLC, pleaaaaase xD)

Also this. Personally, I like the occasional bikini-babe warrior, but having protagonists like her is also a very welcome thing indeed. This, too, is diversity.

Lemondish

So kind of breaking down the trailer one bit at a time

1.) thousands of years beyond a time when the world lost all power for some reason? Without the power, nature took over. Now nature has overtaken the cities and these mechanical creatures have completely (?) replaced nature. But it looks like they share qualities of nature with some machines hunting others (?), some machines acting like herds together. Something tells me there is someone building these machines.

Doesn't need to be someone building it. We're 1000 years after we ostensibly built the first ones. Science fiction LOVES the idea of artificially created intelligence designed in the image of the creator. This usually manifests as bipedal humanoid robots.

But what happens if we disappear as the caretakers of their future? Wouldn't they essentially adapt and evolve based on the challenges they face? Millions of years of evolution has resulted in lifeforms today that are really good at what they do. No reason to think a machine intelligence wouldn't adapt in similar ways, but just much faster.

2.) First one we see is the Watcher. Looks to be a quick scout like mech with life scanning capability and alarms. It was sending out an alarm when she killed it. There is also a " search watcher " triangle button that appears but not used. So you can scavenge your kills

My favourite part about this was that we learned all this FROM her. I mentioned it earlier, but I really like this as an idea of a psuedo-tutorial in place of text. Well done, GG, if that was intended.

3.). 2nd ones we are are those monstrous mechs that look like the protectors of the herd. Interesting thing about these classic t-Rex looking dudes is she shot the weapon off its back and could then use it. Awesome

That got me so excited. The way it blew apart as you fought it seemed so epic. Each fight would then have the potential to be a little different each time. That is exciting.

4.). These deer looking herd mechs look to be gathering green ooze into those canisters and she actually shoots one off the back and collects it. Perhaps these mechs are somehow able to use the energy from photosynthesis in the plants / grass and this ooze is turned into energy that the other mechs and machines use?

I think it looks like they're consuming grass which is then processed into the green juice. Considering its source, it makes sense that it would be of use to the humans - perhaps as sustenance? Doesn't look like there's much organic wildlife around after all.

5.) I see on the arrow type selection what is obvious Fire Arrows, Electric Arrows and arrows that can hook onto some mechs.

I'm hoping for Rambo style boom-boom arrows.

6.) no one knows where the machines came from or where the old ones went.

Anyway. I'm obsessed. I need to see more!

I'm with you there, bud. This game is something special.

After the positive reception to this, and Jurassic World dino-stopming the box office, I hope many devs take notice that dinosaurs fucking rule and they need to be in more things!

Meaty

What a game man, and so batsht crazy that its obviously unique.

Reminds me of the SSM situation where they made a game similar to destiny and it had to be cancelled. Well I wish it wasnt cuz it surely would be way better than destiny, but I digress. (and current gen only) Makes me wish they went insane with that one too so it would be unique.

Was game of e3 for me. What a surprise

Corto

Fantastic looking game! The combat seemed varied and very dynamic. I now want to know more about RPG systems, gathering resources/crafting, levelling up/abilities, and if there are different classes and what are they. I hope they could fit some kind of a "wizard" class in this world. Hyped!

Helscream

Banned
So kind of breaking down the trailer one bit at a time

1.) thousands of years beyond a time when the world lost all power for some reason? Without the power, nature took over. Now nature has overtaken the cities and these mechanical creatures have completely (?) replaced nature. But it looks like they share qualities of nature with some machines hunting others (?), some machines acting like herds together. Something tells me there is someone building these machines.

Well I am not a expert on plant biology, but I think if you look closely at the buildings the extent which nature has grown and the decay of the buildings it clearly has been a very long time since the "Old Ones" disappeared/died out.

With the machines I would speculate two possibilities. Either the machines all have individual sentient A.I. so they work together pragmatically to survive. Or all machines are part of a hive-mind or Central Core A.I. that are simply multiple parts of one body (Think the Geth consensus in Mass Effect). Which I think the latter would be more interesting because that means they live only to serve the commands of the "Old Ones" their masters who created them. Whatever those commands are is completely up to speculation. The Former would be less interesting because that would mean the machines were give Sentient A.I. and possibly free will to exist how they please.

2.) First one we see is the Watcher. Looks to be a quick scout like mech with life scanning capability and alarms. It was sending out an alarm when she killed it. There is also a " search watcher " triangle button that appears but not used. So you can scavenge your kills

3.). 2nd ones we are are those monstrous mechs that look like the protectors of the herd. Interesting thing about these classic t-Rex looking dudes is she shot the weapon off its back and could then use it. Awesome

4.). These deer looking herd mechs look to be gathering green ooze into those canisters and she actually shoots one off the back and collects it. Perhaps these mechs are somehow able to use the energy from photosynthesis in the plants / grass and this ooze is turned into energy that the other mechs and machines use?

Yea I get the same impression myself. Clearly the machines have developed their own ecology. I also assume the more difficult (or rare) a machine is the better parts you scavenger for better crafting.

I would also like to add that those very tall/long neck machines may serve the purpose of broadcasting or receiving commands for the other machines. I can't really speculate what other purpose they would serve in the ecology.

5.) I see on the arrow type selection what is obvious Fire Arrows, Electric Arrows and arrows that can hook onto some mechs.

I noticed this as well. There seemed to be three different types of arrows.
I saw..... "Electric Arrow", "Armor-Piercing Arrow", "Explosive Arrow"
Curious if there will be multiple ammo types for other weapons.

6.) no one knows where the machines came from or where the old ones went.

This is completely up to speculation of course. I hope its not the classic "A.I. rebelled against their creators and made them extinct" story. That has been seen many times in Science Fiction.

HORRORSHØW

some fanart already:
CHpvir0UEAAtimt.jpg

http://breadtastesgood.tumblr.com/image/121687095066

VanWinkle

Bummer. Yet they have various promotional artwork with 3 or even 4 hunters taking down a robot-dinosaur? What's the point then :/
Not really a dealbreaker for me but it severely hamper down my hype.

Does people separate coop from MP? Isn't coop a specific form of multiplayer?
Well it's good that they don't have competitive multiplayer since this kind of game only benefit from coop multiplayer.

Promotional artwork? Lol it was leaked concept art.

Jigolo

Guy in Twitch interview said the game was PRE-Alpha.

Holy mother of FUCK.

How good is this game going to look when it releases?!
Not saying the graphics won't improve but the NFS footage was also labeled "pre-alpha" and that comes out in like 4 months. Doesn't mean much in a sense.

Vasili2K38

Even with all the megatons from the Sony conference and other great news from the other shows, this game is definitely my highlight of E3 2015. So weird and so beautiful, and I'm a sucker for GG mechanical designs inspired in animals, so this game is a dream come true.

Shengar

(I'm a noob in game development). Generally, is it possible for a Pre-Alpha game to be released one year later ?

It doesn't work like that.
Usually for footage like this, a team need a separate entity in which they take the assets from the main game. The footage we shown here is probably made some months ago, and while the team who make this footage to be presentable to the public, the main team still working on the main game. Probably as we speak it's already hit alpha stage.

Well I am not a expert on plant biology, but I think if you look closely at the buildings the extent which nature has grown and the decay of the buildings it clearly has been a very long time since the "Old Ones" disappeared/died out.

With the machines I would speculate two possibilities. Either the machines all have individual sentient A.I. so they work together pragmatically to survive. Or all machines are part of a hive-mind or Central Core A.I. that are simply multiple parts of one body (Think the Geth consensus in Mass Effect). Which I think the latter would be more interesting because that means they live only to serve the commands of the "Old Ones" their masters who created them. Whatever those commands are is completely up to speculation. The Former would be less interesting because that would mean the machines were give Sentient A.I. and possibly free will to exist how they please.

What if machines reached self awareness ala Skynet and caused extinction of the old ones ?

Carn82

Yet they have various promotional artwork with 3 or even 4 hunters taking down a robot-dinosaur? What's the point then :/

Do they? Or are you referring to concept art? Concept art usually has very little to do with actual gameplay. It usually servers to define and set style, atmosphere (look and feel) that sort of thing. Actually, a big batch of concept art never 'makes' it into the actual games.

What if machines reached self awareness ala Skynet and caused extinction of the old ones ?

Skynet initiated a nuclear war though. I didn't get that impression from the trailer — they didn't say how or why the world went dark. I'm sure it will be more interesting than everyone's power grids failing on a global scale :p

Do they? Or are you referring to concept art? Concept art usually has very little to do with actual gameplay. It usually servers to define and set style, atmosphere (look and feel) that sort of thing. Actually, a big batch of concept art never 'makes' it into the actual games.

Hence the name "concept" art.

Bummer. Yet they have various promotional artwork with 3 or even 4 hunters taking down a robot-dinosaur? What's the point then :/

Does people separate coop from MP? Isn't coop a specific form of multiplayer?
Well it's good that they don't have competitive multiplayer since this kind of game only benefit from coop multiplayer.

Nah man. They were doing double duty last time trying to cram MP and SP and they got singed on the butthole for it.

Top Bottom