• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

Sorral

I'm ok with no MP at all. I was hoping with some form of hunting coop mode to catch big robo-dinosaurs, but I'm happy with a full SP experience as well.

I think the MP/coop will come in the sequel.

There'll be no talking trees in this RPG, it's not the Hobbit.

Oh, the AWACosaurus. I love that guy.

Yup! Just so unique looking.

As an aside hiring one of Obsidian's lead writers and Cd Projekt's lead quest designer to work on this gives me a lot of hope.

Same here. Hiring some guys from CDPR is a very positive step, especially if they'll be handling the quest design. There's so many in Witcher 3 and they're mostly fun to take. There's very few fetch quests so common in other open world games that they're more of a chore than anything else.

Is this releasing next year?

They did say they're aiming for a 2016 release, so yeah.

Russell

Thank goodness the developers aren't wasting time and resources by including multi-player modes.

Note to developers: Please keep that multi-player shit out of games like this so that you can focus on making the single-player adventure as awesome as possible. Thank you.

wdwolfn64

Neo Member
This doesn't bother me too much at all. Co-op would be great in theory, but I didn't need it in The Witcher 3, so why would I in this?

Same here. I don't own a PS4 yet, but when I saw the trailer for this game. It made me want to get one as soon as the game comes out. I'm one of the rare breed of players who likes play Single player games with a story centric approach.

That's a pretty high bar set by the third game of a proven series.

Ok this has gone crazy real fast, I'll get myself back on track.

Where are the robo dinosaurs in TW3? And what has been shown so far with Horizon, already surpasses what I see when playing TW3 on my PS4.

See the thing that is crazy, is to suggest that comparing Horizon to TW3 can only lead to disappointment. The games are different in many ways, but since they are open world wrpgs some comparisons are valid, especially considering they hired people involved with TW. Horizon has been the most exciting thing shown at this E3 so far, for me. To deny the promise it holds, is
Hannibal Lector levels of
crazy.

KoopaTheCasual

I'm sorry to add to this comparison, but Horizon already looks infinitely more intriguing visually, than TW3. So i don't get the "comparisons will only lead to disappointment" bit.

Wagram

Good --- Gaming needs to head back to single player experiences rather than forced MP modes that everyone abandons in a few weeks.

Kind of disappointed in no co-op but if it's content rich then no need.

Also, lol at comparing this to The Order due to no co-op.
Exactly this.

Co-op with this concept could definitely be cool but if its a single player focused game they're making, more power to em. Still interested all the same, and it'll allow them to dedicate their focus on making that open world sing.

The guy who wrote Fallout New Vegas wrote this so it's at the very least going to have a better story than any of GG's previous games.

The gameplay trailer is my favorite thing of E3.

Wtf. Did they not learn from the order.

No MP or Co-op isn't what killed The Order. Otherwise The Witcher 3 or Skyrim wouldn't have NEVER turned out as popular and successful as they were.

I am not a huge GG fan, but I would want them to get the RPG elements right first, the world and the like. Good combat and an interesting branching story could make this a game that could rival other WRPGs, if they focus on MP or Co-op they are basically just putting the cart before the horse.

What? Without an online element there is no concern for things like community dying out or shrivelling enough you're forced to play with the dregs of remaining players.

Plus it is an unproven title, so without MP incentive I can save my money and soften the blow if the game fails to live up to my expectations.

I only skimmed a random page in this thread here and there so sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but did anyone think the protagonist talks too much? I felt that she was commenting about everything and sort of broke immersion, like if you are sneaking up on the robo-elks, I think silence would fit the set piece well. I also don't like her hair, just doesn't look right to me.

Other than that, I really like the setting and the setup. Hunting giant robots seems pretty interesting. I also hope there is a harder mode, because I would like to see a mode that puts your skills to the test so you can't tank explosions like she was doing in the demo, sort of how a skilled Hunter in Monster Hunter can out match a hunt that can utterly wreck them in a split second.

I take you have no friends?

That makes no sense, I really enjoy playing co-op focused games like Destiny with my friends and make new friends on PSN all the time. But that doesn't change the fact I love carefully crafted single player experiences. A rich world like in TW3 holds a charm that you don't find in MP focused games. It's like how when reading a good book you don't want to be on the phone at the same time or at a party..

There is room and demand for both of these modes of gaming, of course I like it when they include all types of modes in one game. But sometimes the lack of focus will shine through because of that. If Horizon delivers a rich open world, I will be glad they kept the MP out if that helped them deliver it.

RE the topic title, wouldn't post-historic be a more accurate desciption, or perhaps even inter-historic. I mean the people themselves will have their own history, in anyway I find those terms more accurate than suggesting they are pre recorded history. I'm assuming we will find out more historic details about the world as we advance through the story anyway. Perhaps pre-historic is mentioned to communicate the 'primitive' tribal nature of their society.

I only skimmed a random page in this thread here and there so sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but did anyone think the protagonist talks too much? I felt that she was commenting about everything and sort of broke immersion, like if you are sneaking up on the robo-elks, I think silence would fit the set piece well. I also don't like her hair, just doesn't look right to me.

I'm fairly sure that was just for the E3 demo. I think the way she mentioned things was just to give context to the audience who had absolutely no insight to the game world or enemies. I agree though, but I doubt the final game will be like that unless it's part of the tutorial.

vpance

All they need to sell this game is 100km2 and 60 hours of gameplay. People lose their shit over world size more than they really should, but hey, it's what's hot and what sells now.

I'm glad a studio at Sony realized this and hopped on board the open world RPG train. I do think that they'll do the genre justice and bring new things to the table though.

Other than that, I really like the setting and the setup. Hunting giant robots seems pretty interesting. I also hope there is a harder mode, because I would like to see a mode that puts your skills to the test so you can't tank explosions like she was doing in the demo, sort of how a skilled Hunter in Monster Hunter can out match a hunt that can utterly wreck them in a split second.

Pretty clear that was for demo narrative purposes to add more to the experience. No doubt she will think to herself or talk to herself during the game but no way to that scripted extent.

I actually liked how they did that as it gave insight into the character without having to break from the hunt of the demo. You saw she had a respect for the mechs and you saw she was quite seasoned in combating them so she was aware of just how many cannisters of the green stuff she needed. And she also enjoyed the rush of the hunt.

So you got great feel for the character without needing a conversation with someone else or breaking from the action.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
btw does anyone else think a better name would be just Horizon?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236130/

header.jpg

You guys do realize comparisons to the witcher 3 can only lead to disappointment.

I'm not really comparing them. I'm just using it as an example of a recent open world, story driven RPG that I've played recently where I feel that no multiplayer did nothing to ruin my enjoyment of the game.

Top Bottom