• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

GooWop

Have they talked about the color the machines eyes glow in different situations? The watcher was in blue, searched/scanned the bush in yellow and died back at blue. The big guys were blue and in red when in combat. Blue seemed to be a relaxed or calm state, red seemed to be aggressive or engaged state. Wonder if there are any other colors we might see or what these mean.

God damn i'm so fucking hyped for this game!!!!

Honestly, this looks to be absolutely amazing.

GG are amazing with tech and their games always looks jaw dropping, i just hope that unlike killzone they manage to really get the lore into the game.

Killzone had amazing lore but they never managed to get it across very well in the game and that mistake, imo, ultimately didn't give the IP the recognition and acceptance it could have had.

Have they talked about the color the machines eyes glow in different situations? The watcher was in blue, searched/scanned the bush in yellow and died back at blue. The big guys were blue and in red when in combat. Blue seemed to be a relaxed or calm state, red seemed to be aggressive or engaged state. Wonder if there are any other colors we might see or what these mean.

Blue seems to be the default, no threat level.
Yellow seems to imply a apprehensive threat scanning level.
Red clearly is a threat detected, fight or flight mode.

I'm not sure if there would be other types of non-verbal communication/threat levels necessary.

Brannon

The game need a night as dark as Dragon's Dogma. And it would totally work because the beasts have glowy bits all over and we can use those!

hydruxo

The hype just keeps rising

6lrU4Pg.png

Yup and I'm one of them. Nothing against females. I love them and respect them. I have the best girlfriend in the world and I treat her like a princess. But playing as one in a video game I cannot.

I just cannot enjoy it and immerse my self into the world. As with most high testosterone males we want to come home from a long day at work and put on a video game and feel empowered for a short while. I just cant do that when playing as chick with big tits and vagina.

only exception is Ellie from Last of US. and I have no idea why it didn't bother me with her.

I realize I'm going to get a lot of hate for his post and probably get banned from GAF but just wanted to be honest.

Well I can't play as that cat race in the Elder Scrolls, nor can I play as wizards either, regardless of the game. I have nothing against felines or practitioners of the mystic arts though.

Game looks amazing. Getting a Dark Tower/Shardik vibe from it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Killzone was always such a drab and uninteresting franchise to me... To see Guerrilla evolve into making this, is such a joy to see. This already hit all the right buttons from the reveal, but all these gameplay details make it seem even more interesting. Game of the Show by a mile for me. Came out of nowhere too, always great to get a surprise like this.

Killzone was always such a drab and uninteresting franchise to me... To see Guerrilla evolve into making this, is such a joy to see. This already hit all the right buttons from the reveal, but all these gameplay details make it seem even more interesting. Game of the Show by a mile for me. Came out of nowhere too, always great to get a surprise like this.

You must have avoided NeoGAF for like a year. :p

For reference:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=895571
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=827401

It's wonderful what happens when a developer isn't forced to do nothing but FPS games.
You will not be missed, Killzone.
I will miss killzone. I still play shadow fall despite it being less popular and hated by the masses. I thought the MP was brilliant. Saying all that I'm glad to see them do something else and just because they're working on Horizon,( my personal game of the show e3 2015)it does not mean they've completely dropped killzone. I can't wait to get Horizon in my hands.

napata

lol... Please read what I quoted for context. I'm 100% sure there is levelling up. :)

There not being melee is not that wild of an assumption. Every piece of concept art shows a bow. Besides didn't the previews say that you can hold 4 weapons each with 3 types of ammo? That kind of implies it.

The God

RPG elements and enemy encounters detailed. New thread?

Guerrilla won't be 'tutorialising' Horizon: Zero Dawn, the developer has explained, instead encouraging players to study enemy behaviour and learn how to defeat robos themselves.

Speaking to VideoGamer.com earlier today, art director Jan-Bart van Beek revealed that there is "a lot of interplay between the different weapons and ammo types, and there is a sort of creative aspect there where you need to find the right way to use weapons for particular robos. And that counts for a lot of the game. We don't tutorialise the game, we don't go and tell you how to hunt these robos or how they interact. You really have to go out there and explore these things by trial and error.

"And it's the same case for learning about how the robos interact between themselves; who's protecting who and how they are all interconnected. You're always a little bit like David Attenborough where he's sitting in the bushes and studying these creatures trying to learn their behaviour, seeing how you can exploit that behaviour from them."

Van Beek also provided details on Horizon's RPG systems, explaining that throughout the game players will be able to gain XP to unlock new perks, giving them a greater chance to take down some of the larger enemies.

"There is a skill tree," he continued. "There are two basic character development systems. First of all you're getting XP and you can use that XP to gain new perks. So that's the big one. One of the perks that you saw being used [in the demo] is the Precision Shot where you slow down time and that allows you to [aim] the arrows a little more precisely. Without that it's actually really hard to hit certain weak spots. [The character in the demo] is already an advanced character about level 12, I think.

"But there's also basically a secondary way of upgrading your character, and that is through the harvesting and crafting system. By going into nature and defeating bigger and stronger robos you'll get better armour-plating, better weaponry and slowly but surely you'll develop your character in a more naturalistic way."
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/horiz...ont_be_tutorialised_rpg_systems_detailed.html

Nafai1123

Banned
Ideally, what kind of melee combat would you guys like to see in this game? I'm trying to think of something that would keep the frenetic pace we've seen so far but I'm drawing a blank.

From a realism point of view, it doesn't really make sense for her to be going hand to hand with giant robots, but I could see melee combat being a part of the human vs human interactions.

Servbot24

Banned
I haven't seen any skill trees or levelling up or attributes in the footage either. So I'll hastily conclude that there's probably none of those things.

Or maybe I shouldn't assume anything yet since it's just a short clip...? :p

That would be fantastic if they removed leveling from the formula. It's a cheap and artificial way to indicate to the player that they're growing.

That said it's so ingrained in the genre I'm sure it will be in there.

The God

Ideally, what kind of melee combat would you guys like to see in this game? I'm trying to think of something that would keep the frenetic pace we've seen so far but I'm drawing a blank.

From a realism point of view, it doesn't really make sense for her to be going hand to hand with giant robots, but I could see melee combat being a part of the human vs human interactions.

There's a rumor that the game will include swords so I'm assuming there'll be some tribe vs tribe things going on. Maybe competition for the resources the robots are collecting?

napata

Yeah the only way I could see melee work is if they did something like Attack on Titan or Freedom Wars. That would be amazing but I'm not expecting that.

The music in the trailer is still freaking magic. Especially during the narration part.

I'm looking forward to what they do with the soundtrack.

Mentok

Banned
"There are two basic character development systems. First of all you're getting XP and you can use that XP to gain new perks. So that's the big one. One of the perks that you saw being used [in the demo] is the Precision Shot where you slow down time and that allows you to [aim] the arrows a little more precisely. Without that it's actually really hard to hit certain weak spots. [The character in the demo] is already an advanced character about level 12, I think.

"But there's also basically a secondary way of upgrading your character, and that is through the harvesting and crafting system. By going into nature and defeating bigger and stronger robos you'll get better armour-plating, better weaponry and slowly but surely you'll develop your character in a more naturalistic way."

Oh now I'm interested.... if this is their way of saying "Like MonHun", then I'm all in. I hope they showcase more weapons in the future (specifically melee).

Valentus

My only concern is the gameplay, something that sony's firsts isnt doing very well lately. Everything else is just Majestic, a real eyegasm.

Im very curious about the story. I hope this is some Skynet incident that make the fall of humanity, and the reason that survivors are so primitive is because they cant trust again in technology.

Im really excited with what we saw. Need more videos.

th4tguy

Someone please record this. I'll be on the road and wont be able to watch this at that time. I have to know more about this game. I need it in my veins.

I-hate-u

My only concern is the gameplay, something that sony's firsts isnt doing very well lately. Everything else is just Majestic, a real eyegasm.

Im very curious about the story. I hope this is some Skynet incident that make the fall of humanity, and the reason that survivors are so primitive is because they cant trust again in technology.

Im really excited with what we saw. Need more videos.

Shu said GG iterated a lot on the gameplay. The game was actually playable for over a year, but they wanted to iterate on it a lot to make the moment to moment gameplay good.

Secret Owl

Neo Member
This game has me very interested. I think what they showed and how they showed it was one of the best introductions to a new game series that I've ever seen. Really digging the look and vibe of it all and the gameplay seems solid. The fact that they transitioned from a context-laden cutsecene into actual gameplay is awesome. The whole thing played on my expectation of "no longer getting too excited about anything until I see gameplay." So when the transition was made I thought, "Oh, this is a game reveal that's actually going to follow up with it's promise immediately. It's going to show me why I should be excited about the possibilities of it's world and mechanics."

Even if this trailer doesn't end up reflecting the quality of the final product, Guerrilla deserves credit for reminding people how to properly announce a game.

Endo Punk

It's really a testament to how great the reveal and gameplay was the fact it stood out next to 3 of the most requested game reveals and a phenomenal UC4 live gameplay demo. And from the KZ guys at that. Guerilla really deserve all the praise and recognition that comes their way.

Top Bottom