• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

nib95

Banned
horizon6hssry.png

Well deserved. I get the feeling it could win GAF's as well. Bravo GG. Out of nowhere, and against a sea of countless titans of all titans as well.

Sure it's a video game, but average male 2-3× is always faster, more powerful, athletic then the average female, so if a game character was gonna be capable of all these incredible things it would make sense if the character was a male.

WHAT. haha. I actually prefer male characters in video games too but not for the same reason as yours. Aloy is a fukin awesome character! I like her.

No other games can make me watch the freaking trailer more than 50 times for these past few days.

Game of
E3
for me!

Really really excited to see the company move on from KZ, which they never really nailed or knew how to frame with a coherent game premise. This already looks like a genuine top-tier AAA game that you immediately want to root for. Whereas with KZ, you sort of felt like it had to prove itself.

VinFTW

After much debate, and it's real close, Horizon is my GOTS. Can't wait for this one. Rewatched the gameplay TOO many times.

kyser73

Imru’ al-Qays;168954562 said:
Not really. From the Reddit post you linked:

Combat is mostly long range because there's no way a human could take on huge robot creatures with knives, but several monsters can be taken down with melee takedowns.

Also - human vs human combat.

KingK

The hype just keeps rising

6lrU4Pg.png

Loving the hype, but is this guy's twitter tag really "@notaxation" with a "Don't tread on me" avatar? lol.

Yeah, what does Zero Dawn mean?

The subtitle plus overgrown city landscapes actually made me think of Batman: Zero Year haha.

I'm guessing it's referring to some kind of new "dawn" or some kind of major change/advancement of Aloy's tribe (or humanity in general) over the course of the story. Seems like a good subtitle for the first entry in a series for me.

nib95

Banned
So...it appears there is no melee combat other than stealth takedowns. Just bows, stealth and dodging. Pretty disappointing.

I read somewhere there were swords and other weapons? Where did they confirm otherwise? There's definitely more than just bows, as we've already seen the launcher taken from the T-Rex, plus the grapple weapon that fires hooks to pin enemies down. I believe impressions of the behind the doors play through mentioned another weapon which sets explosive traps or something like that.

Ellite25

The more I read about this game the better it sounds. More devs need to drop the hand-holding approach imo. Experiencing and figuring out things yourself is so much more enjoyable and rewarding.
I agree with this. When I play games that start out with boring tutorials it really bores me. It's a real turn off in games for me these days.

Grimløck;168977748 said:
just use secondapps.com/countdown. time until live demo:

t1434729600z1.png

SO much better! Thanks!

I read somewhere there were swords and other weapons? Where did they confirm otherwise? There's definitely more than just bows, as we've already seen the launcher taken from the T-Rex, plus the grapple weapon that fires hooks to pin enemies down. I believe impressions of the behind the doors play through mentioned another weapon which sets explosive traps or something like that.

I believe the only thing we can infer for certain is that there are 4 weapons with 3 types of ammunition for each, from the weapons HUD.
I've seen people say it is for melee weapons, but it seems that it is just speculation. But, then, I can't see them making 4 types of ranged weapons... Unless traps take one slots and maybe firearms take the other? I dunno.

The tripwire mines are also fired by the ropecaster, you can see it if you look at the weaponwheel.

horizonweaponwheel3.jpg

Sorry guys, i was going off what the person on reddit detailed. Maybe there is some sort of combat for human vs human encounters. I can live with that

I probably worded my post poorly and that led to everyone thinking i was making a statement rather than an opinion. Apologies. I want this game to be amazing.

Wagram

Damn Kindafunny gave Horizon their Game of Show. Very surprising, especially when Colin is a very jaded person (in a good way) about the industry as a whole.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Sorry guys, i was going off what the person on reddit detailed. Maybe there is some sort of combat for human vs human encounters. I can live with that

I probably worded my post poorly and that led to everyone thinking i was making a statement rather than an opinion. Apologies. I want this game to be amazing.
Very poorly worded. Also Reddit reports from random users should not be taken as gospel.

Effect

This game still impresses me. Perhaps my game of the show up there with Fallout 4. I'm still don't believe this was true gameplay but if it's close and looks like this then great!

GnawtyDog

Banned
There needs to be a justification for melee to exist first.

So far, you're not going one-on-one with flesh fist against solid steel. The argument stops there. And you're certainly not presented with a tribe that has samurai ancestry...more of a Nordic kind.

The hunting spear is a meleeish weapon....but again, versus machines of that composition (steel, metal - no flesh), it naturally begs to have limited uses.

Now, if the game had human enemies (that you engage on occasion), or flesh animals/monsters then sure melee is to be expected. Until then I am not sure why the expectation.

nib95

Banned
There needs to be a justification for melee to exist first.

So far, you're not going one-on-one with flesh fist against solid steel. The argument stops there. And you're certainly not presented with a tribe that has samurai ancestry...

The hunting spear is a meleeish weapon....but again, versus machines of that composition (steel, metal - no flesh), it naturally begs to have limited uses.

Now if the game had human enemies (that you engage on occasion), or flesh animals/monsters then sure melee is to be expected. Until then I am not sure why the expectation.

There are other tribes, villages, cities etc. I would be surprised if you never came across other hostile humans or tribesman. Either way, lots of interesting potential.

kyser73

This game still impresses me. Perhaps my game of the show up there with Fallout 4. I'm still don't believe this was true gameplay but if it's close and looks like this then great!

The closed session showed one of the devs playing the same sequence in the game, plus a couple of other things, so I don't know how much 'truer' the gameplay can get...

DJIzana

Was thinking the same. This is EASILY going to be the first WRPG I'll actually enjoy (at least since WoW and GW2).

Dear AAA devs... want to make a lot of money off me? BRIGHT, INTERESTING environments! The amazingness that we get to fight robotic dino's is just the icing on the cake. LITERALLY PERFECT.

nib95

Banned
Following on from a discussion in the other thread. Can you imagine this encounter when it's night time in the game? Just seeing those red lights and not being able to make as much else out. Not even knowing which enemy type it was, just knowing it was huge. And then it charges at you lol. Would be terrifying!

1298948751797032847.gif

Effect

The closed session showed one of the devs playing the same sequence in the game, plus a couple of other things, so I don't know how much 'truer' the gameplay can get...

Those setups have been faked before though so I'm not willing to believe that completely. Have we forgotten that Aliens Colonial Marines was played by devs for people as well. We gotta be careful about this. I want it to be true though because I want to play this game and know more about it.

Game4life

Banned
Was thinking the same. This is EASILY going to be the first WRPG I'll actually enjoy (at least since WoW and GW2).

Dear AAA devs... want to make a lot of money off me? BRIGHT, INTERESTING environments! The amazingness that we get to fight robotic dino's is just the icing on the cake. LITERALLY PERFECT.

I did not put that as a diss to KZ2 though :). I think KZ2 is one of the best fps games with some of the most stunning atmosphere in any military shooter period. I just put that to emphasize the change the studio has undergone and commend them for experimenting.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Following on from a discussion in the other thread. Can you imagine this encounter when it's night time in the game? Just seeing those red lights and not being able to make as much else out. Not even knowing which enemy type it was, just knowing it was huge. And then it charges at you lol. Would be terrifying!

1298948751797032847.gif

Imagine heavy rain....add some mud into the mix...lovely...

Adamastor

Does anyone recognize the voice? Do we know who does it? Because my first reaction was it sounded like the mom in Broken Age, which is wonderfully done by none other than Jennifer Hale.

Am I alone here?

What occurs on screen makes you think it isn't possible or wasn't true gameplay?

Top Bottom