• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you rate Xbox Games Showcase 2024?

How do you rate Xbox Games Showcase 2024?

• Total voters
Was a hard 'B'. Lots of games. Most of them Meh.

But Microsoft showed that the studios have been working. And they had to do that.

Glad they finally showed Perfect Dark, if you could call it that.

But, the showcase was too First-Person game heavy.

• Metal Gear Solid Delta somehow looks generic AF.
  • Indy looks great now.
  • Doom looked like Doom but in castles. Makes me think they shoulda went Wolfenstein in the far off future.
  • I still don't know how Fable plays, tired of these humor reels. Show gameplay.
  • Avowed was meh.
  • In typical MS fashion, Gears was a trailer. If it's not ready to show, don't bother.
  • COD gonna COD.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Looking at the show objectively it's most likely an A. Jam packed with high quality games, good pacing, little to no talk and no cringe dev diaries (apart from CoD that is but it's a separate showcase).

For me personally, I'd go with a solid B. Not enough games that really got my juices flowing. Expedition 33 looked like the best game on the show. Great graphics with turn based combat + Fantasy setting = 👌

Fable and Indy both looked great. Definitely checking them out. I really like Fables classic approach to fairy tale fantasy in it's art direction. Not many games, if any pull that off. Very much looking forward to the end product. Shattered space looked interesting and hopefully it elevates the base game to a nice package. Doom also looks to be a cool experience, but I'm not really sold on modern Doom after 2016. There was also a discount Sekiro clone that looked interesting but honestly those games seem a dime a dozen right now.

A lot of games however didn't gel with me. Avowed looked worse than the last time. Still gonna check it out but it feels quite mid to be honest. Perfect Dark was cool to see after so many years in dev but unfortunately it did nothing for me. Looked quite boring. Same for South of Midnight and State of Decay 3. Gears trailer was just CG so whatever. Dragon Age I don't know what the hell that was, but it sure was a major turn off.

Xbox showcase was miles better than the tripe that was State of Play and Summer game fest, but I think the majority of games now just comes off as bland and derivative, devoid of any originality with the same genres, character models and mechanics being repeated ad nauseam. I try too see things positively but maybe I'm just getting old and jaded. Microsoft at least tries to have fun with a blow out showcase so props to them for keeping the E3 spirit alive unlike other companies these days.

MikeM

A considering all the shit other showcases have been as of late. Hope MS doesn’t fuck up this solid lineup.

nial

Gold Member
Yup, if there was nothing for you in this show then you're either lying to yourself or dead inside.
What's so weird about that claim? At least when it comes to first-party, it's extremely American-focused by the looks of it (not that it's a bad thing in itself, MS is American, after all!).

clarky

Gold Member
What's so weird about that claim? At least when it comes to first-party, it's extremely American-focused by the looks of it (not that it's a bad thing in itself, MS is American, after all!).
You didnt like the look of anything at all at the show?

B-

Yeah they showed a lot of games and compared to the other two bombs it’s no contest. But why is everyone out here handing out A’s when a vast majority of that show was pre-rendered cutscenes, and announcements with no year attached at all? Fable, Perfect Dark, and GoW E-Day for example didn’t even list a year.

Meanwhile, their two biggest releases of this year - Avowed and Indiana Jones - still hasn’t shown any significant amount of gameplay despite releasing within the next 5-6 months.

Lots of good announcements but most of them were typical Microsoft “wait and hope” trailers.

Because apparently people in this thread have severe amnesia, you even see some of them calling it the best showcase in years (all companies). Like, what the actual fuck? It was a mid tier showing, and that's for people who were into the games shown.

C.

The good:

Gears 6: Marcus and Dom, Locust, sink holes, e-day. Best decision they could make as the characters and enemies in 4 and 5 are weak as it gets.

Perfect Dark: aside from making Joanna Dark as ugly as can be, the gameplay actually looked good in my opinion. Sadly this looked limited to one level, and Matt Booty said they’ll be sharing more as development progresses, 2026 release? A little worried that the level didn’t look alive.

Doom: not a fan of the franchise but looked good to me, and in line with the reboot and sequel, I like the setting.

Indiana Jones: looked good graphically and gameplay wise. They’re definitely stripping him of his heroism and gifting it to his lady sidekick but that’s par for the course.

The mid:

Fable: Matt King is a legend, and he was the best part of the trailer. I like Playground but this looks shakey as to me. Ridiculous protagonist, female antagonist (at least we’ve moved beyond straight white men only for the role of antagonist), just wooden.

Atomfall: Xbox attracts these sorts of games like a magnet for some reason, the Lake District setting is the only interesting thing about it.

The bad:

Avowed: this has been massacred from the initial reveal. It looks absolutely average.

Dragon Age 4: looked absolutely terrible to me, everything I hate in modern western gaming. The intros for the characters had me cringing hard.

Assassins Creed: I applaud anyone who can still play these games. This one looks bad.

South of Midnight: not for me.

Everything else I just felt absolute apathy towards.

As always with Xbox, the above will make for a pretty graphic but execution and delivery will need to be significantly better than their effort over the past 10 years for these games to make a dent. In fact, here’s an infographic for you all:

All-Games-Use-in-Intro-3f108b645c564f9025bd-1536x864.jpg

This is by far the best summary and scoring of the show.

graywolf323

I’d give it a solid B mostly because I don’t trust Xbox after previous shows and this one didn’t do anything to make me think it’ll be different

the games look potentially great but once again they either were mostly in-engine footage & had no release dates (a lot of them just had a release year including stuff supposedly coming out in the next 6 months) though I’ll take going back to them doing that over the utter BS that was the 2022 show and ”everything you see will be released in the next 12 months” (only for most of it not to)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
B for me.

It was good, but nothing really stood out for me beyond the relentless DEIfication of most titles.

Forgettable and unremarkable looking games, even if technical standards were very high, and way too many cinematics.

Mozzarella

Decent showcase, C for me, may be harsh but i gave Summergame F and Sony a D.
Xbox was the best of the 3 this month, still a C

WHY?
Because no real time gameplay, a lot of trailers, a lot of games that i think are mid, lack of proper release dates.

Still it was condensed as fuck and had a lot of goodies, so its a C at least.
Dont get how can someone vote A though, i have seen much better showcases in the past with proper gameplay showcase, i used to watch E3, i even watched Skyrim live showcase with Todd on stage, this isn't that good compared to them.

Last edited:

Elios83

Microsoft is the only one that is still trying to make these annual mega shows where once a year they try to throw everything they got and that is good for the core fanbase.
But the reality is that they're still mostly talking about the same games announced ages ago that after 4+ years they're now finally able to showcase with some glimpses of gameplay (see Perfect Dark or Fable).
It was a good show with a solid lineup but that's pretty much it.

clarky

Gold Member
QXnQcJR.png

That's like 17 games that looks at least interesting to me. Most if not all on Gamepass.

For reference i play on PC.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why are so few people talking about Expedition 33?

Weird name aside, it looked really brilliant

Bros i see some high scores here but did we all forget most of the games showed were for 2025(might be delayed again since its so far) and literally 0 exclusives?

When was it written in the Holy Books that showcases had to only show games coming out in the next 6 months?

So the Showcase would have been better if Phil had popped up to announce that Xbox games would no longer be coming to PC? :pie_roffles:

PeteBull

Why are so few people talking about Expedition 33?

Weird name aside, it looked really brilliant

When was it written in the Holy Books that showcases had to only show games coming out in the next 6 months?

So the Showcase would have been better if Phil had popped up to announce that Xbox games would no longer be coming to PC? :pie_roffles:
Then pc players like myself would have at least reason to buy xsx(in 2025, especially that gta6 coming out that year too), so yup:p

I did t watch the showcase but from what I’m seeing here on gaf, and the games that were shown, Expedition 33, Metal gear, Gears , this is an A. Not an Xbox fan . But I appreciate showcase like this .

Never been a fan of Nintendo direct or PlayStation Direct. Need to get back to this

Mr.ODST

Then pc players like myself would have at least reason to buy xsx(in 2025, especially that gta6 coming out that year too), so yup:p
Tbf the Ecosystem would be great if you had Console for couch play, PC and Handheld and your saves are across all systems.

Great conference, like seriously, very good
Fortunately, you can still joke by saying "Wow, so many medieval fantasy games," and "Are these stop-motion games meant to run on the Series S?"

rkofan87

Gold Member
400k+ people watching on the Xbox channel alone. COD brings in the eyeballs

Easily an A show. Solid entries...they've pretty much shown off everything else they've announced aside from EverWild.

Would have been the icing on the cake if they'd brought the past COD games to GamePass.
and no clock

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
F.

Doom Dark Ages and E-Day were the only games that are must buy for me that weren't previously announced elsewhere.
MGS3, Age of Myth Retold, and Stalker 2 were cool, but I already knew about them. I really didn't need to see more - I just want to play the games already.

The rest looked like cancerous GAAS shit, DEI filled trash, and insulting treatments of old franchises. Perfect Dark doesn't look like perfect dark. Fable doesn't look like Fable. Avowed looks boring as fuck, Indiana Jones looks like it is filled with DEI slacktivist crap where Indy has to be constantly saved by the smarter, better female companion, etc.

The Playstation Event wasn't good, but when you make that crap look better? You know you fucked up.

Mr.ODST

F.

Doom Dark Ages and E-Day were the only games that are must buy for me that weren't previously announced elsewhere.
MGS3, Age of Myth Retold, and Stalker 2 were cool, but I already knew about them. I really didn't need to see more - I just want to play the games already.

The rest looked like cancerous GAAS shit, DEI filled trash, and insulting treatments of old franchises. Perfect Dark doesn't look like perfect dark. Fable doesn't look like Fable. Avowed looks boring as fuck, Indiana Jones looks like it is filled with DEI slacktivist crap where Indy has to be constantly saved by the smarter, better female companion, etc.

The Playstation Event wasn't good, but when you make that crap look better? You know you fucked up.
You know these type of people need special help, fml just say your a Sony fanboy and get over it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

buenoblue

I have it an A ☺️ I love that it has minimal gas and multiplayer focus ☺️

Indiana Jones looks so good and it's coming soon so that's my game of show

Fredrik

A!
One of the best shows I’ve seen in years, likely the best ever for Xbox. The Gears trailer had me standing up in my seat! So good, so so good 👌

The only real dip was that mouse game, didn’t fit, should’ve been in some indies showcase.

buenoblue

Having the stream in 4k 60fps really really makes a difference. You get to see a closer representation of the game and it just comes across so much better.

phant0m

Expedition 33 had some really slick UI

PLEASE let Perfect Dark be good.

South of Midnight looked…weird in the cutscenes? Like frame pacing was off or something.

Doom looked awesome

Wish we got something in-game for Dragon Age

Shocked to see FO76 still getting major expansions. I’d credit the show but an expansion of that scale had to be in the works for awhile

BLOPS looks good

MGS3 Delta will be my GOTY.

Lowkey I’m much more excited for the next 12 months out of MS than anything Sony has shown.

Killer8

B-

The lineup makes for an impressive list but when you boil it down and assess each title individually, the conference ends up feeling worse than the sum of its parts.

Black Ops 6 looks like COD. Better than the last couple of Modern Warfare games but I know exactly what to expect. It being on Game Pass at least means I will give it a shot.

Doom: The Dark Ages is of course the game of the show, however given the setting/time period, i'm surprised they didn't make this Quake. Perhaps the brand recognition is too strong to not make it as Doom.

State of Decay 3 is hard to care about. A generic looking title in an over-saturated genre which still doesn't have a release date after 4 years.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard looked laughably bad. I still can't tell if it's a single player RPG or some GaaS hero combat slop.

Starfield getting Creation Kit support and DLC dropping is a personal highlight. I can't wait to see how the mod community can fix up a flawed game over the next few years.

South of Midnight - dreadful looking stuff, made even worse when you know the drama going on behind the scenes. Compulsion's purchase has been a complete waste of money for MS.

STALKER 2 - It looked a lot better than the last few showings. I was fearing the war in Ukraine had compromised the game but it's clawing its way back with each trailer.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - more of the same with better visuals and more to do. It's more of a yearly refresh sort of release (*albeit about 4 years later). I get the feeling though that they are struggling to come up with meaningful activities that aren't dogfighting.

Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater - It's looking great. No need to worry about gameplay as it is simply the original with additions from The Phantom Pain, and the story is identical. Visually looks a lot like how I remember that pachinko game looking but fully realized.

Perfect Dark - A personal let down. Joanna's design looks like Buzz Lightyear and it's missing the humorous and un-serious tone of the original. Still, it manages to look better than Zero.

Fable - Everything I see looks great but I just can't get over the awful character design. I'm fully aware that it will likely have deep character customization - but until that's shown, it's difficult to get excited about anything else.

Indiana Jones and the Great Circle - still not sold at all on first-person, the cinematics lack a certain impact to them, and Troy Baker isn't pulling off his Harrison Ford impression. The sizzle reel at the end looked a lot better but i'd need to play it for myself to decide.

Avowed - mediocre "we have Elder Scrolls at home" stuff. Just make New Vegas 2 already.

Gears of War: E-Day - very exciting stuff. It's hard to truly assess since it was just a short cinematic trailer, but just the idea of ditching the lame story they were setting up with 4 and 5 and going back to the series roots is enough to get me hyped.

Was personally hoping to see a Gears Collection announced too a la the Master Chief Collection, but maybe that will happen next year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom