• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you rate Xbox Games Showcase 2024?

How do you rate Xbox Games Showcase 2024?

• Total voters

Kssio_Aug

Bros i see some high scores here but did we all forget most of the games showed were for 2025(might be delayed again since its so far) and literally 0 exclusives?
I saw tons of games, which look good, which the majority are coming to Game Pass, which I will be able to play both on my Xbox and my PC.

I could not be more satisfied!

fallingdove

Sony couldnt top this up even in their dreams

Summer Game Fest was a C

State of Play was a D

This was a B
Weird that you are comparing a State of Play to this.

We’ll see what Sony comes back with when they do their Showcase later this year. Hats off to Xbox though. This was one of the best shows to date.

clarky

Gold Member
Since Doom is a huge title for Ms, and the lack of Xbox exclusive anywhere in that video, the floodgates on all software is open.

This was a given before the show. I'd expect most titles to have an exclusive xbox/pc window before going to PS5. Except maybe stuff like gears/halo.

They just don't have the user base to sustain AAA exclusives on just xbox. Especially when they are loss leaders for a stagnant gamepass.

phant0m

There really is or should be no good reason why Sony is so much better at creating blockbuster games whos characters and worlds seem much more lived in and exciting (GOW:R, Uncharted, TLOU2, Horizon etc.). There's just this blandness to so many of the titles, which Sony now also seems to have successfully recreated in Concord, that's really depressing.

And see I’m weary of Sony 3rd person walk & talk games. I couldn’t even finish GOWR or HFW.

Chukhopops

That was a huge flex from start to finish, so many games coming. Seeing Perfect Dark looking that freaking good was just magical.

Still voted B because of no release date on Avowed and Indiana Jones, making me worried they might slip into next year.

Madflavor

Gold Member
I've been very critical of Xbox these past few years. This might be the best show of this current gen. They absolutely came out swinging here. Stalker 2, Perfect Dark, Gear of War, Fable, Metal Gear Solid, and Doom just to name a few.

THE DUCK

Banned
This was a given before the show. I'd expect most titles to have an exclusive xbox/pc window before going to PS5. Except maybe stuff like gears/halo.

They just don't have the user base to sustain AAA exclusives on just xbox. Especially when they are loss leaders for a stagnant gamepass.

Despite what some have said, Doom being multiplatform was most definately not a given, ms bought bethesda for exclusive content.

I agree thier user base is too small and that is why they are doing it. Just think it's a big sign of things to come. And if memory serves, didn't ms always have a big "xbox exclusive" for exclusive games and now that's completely gone for every game?

Xtib81

Very solid show. That's a A. And then you have Sony's state of play, damn what a difference ^^

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
I didn’t watch the show to be honest, so can’t rate it. I have watched some of the trailers though, and if I’m being honest, there were no A’s. Perfect Dark looked alright, Indy was basically a 5 minute cutscene, Fable looks nice, but no real gameplay. Avowed looks like an average RPG.

I’d still take Astrobot over any of the games shown in all honesty. And I’m genuinely not being hyperbolic.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

I would say they finally did what they had to do.
After all the years of disappointments quite an impressive showing!

KAOS

Doom, South of Midnight, Mixtape and Gears E-Day were the highlight for me. Overall excellent show!

MS needs to put their showcase back on national tv. Youtube's bitrate sucks for live presentations.

clarky

Gold Member
Despite what some have said, Doom being multiplatform was most definately not a given, ms bought bethesda for exclusive content.

I agree thier user base is too small and that is why they are doing it. Just think it's a big sign of things to come. And if memory serves, didn't ms always have a big "xbox exclusive" for exclusive games and now that's completely gone for every game?
Doom is an existing franchise and It would suck big time if they took that away from some players. They explicitly said they wouldn't do that.

Doesn't matter IMO. Just enjoy what they have shown and hopefully, finally, some of it will actually be decent.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
A strong D.....if what I saw is what modern gamers are interested in I'm completely out of touch

Generic is the word of the day

Might pick up a 2TB Series X just as a collectors item thats about it

I gave it a B. Technically I'd of given it a B+ but that isn't an option.

It is, so far, easily the best show of the season. A lot of good games were shown, but what particularly impressed me was the gameplay for South of Midnight, Perfect Dark, and Fable. The fact at least two of those are confirmed for next year, and look quite good, is great to see. I don't think they're pulling BS stunts with the footage shown, unlike last year with Fable & Forza Motorsport, so I feel the footage shown from those games this year can be taken at face value.

I'm a bit surprised South of Midnight seems more a Souls-like than an action-adventure platformer or an RPG-sim, but the game itself looked great. Perfect Dark, which has had a storied dev history, looks pretty slick. I like the Mirror's Edge stuff in there and the immersive sim influences present, and the aesthetic looks quite good. On a technical level visual fidelity isn't "amazing", but it seems clean, crisp, and a fluid 60 FPS. A natural evolution from Perfect Dark & Perfect Dark Zero's aesthetics, I'd say. Fable, as well, looks very good. They actually fixed the main girl's face to look more attractive (and closer to the real-life model), and it looks faithful to the Lionhead games while having Playground's attention for visual detail translated well to a WRPG action-adventure template.

There were some other solid showings too, tho I'm not a massive fan for stuff like DOOM, and I don't care for COD, so that one didn't do much for me. There were still one too many CGI trailers, and I'm seriously thinking Everwild is basically dead at this point as there still hasn't been an update on that game. But yeah, overall this was a very solid Showcase and I'd say it raises expectations for whatever the next PlayStation Showcase will be (if one's even happening this year), for sure. I know Nintendo's got stuff cooking and waiting for a Switch 2 reveal to show some of it off; it's SIE who I need to see what their roadmap going forward really looks like (software-wise).

Best show of the summer (so far), a strong B+.

Crushed that. Kind of ironic that PlayStation fanboys are hoping Microsoft throws them a bone after Sony’s output seems to have fallen off a cliff…

That Game Pass though… I almost feel bad that it’s such an insane deal. Not complaining or saying ‘charge more’ but it’s way out there on its own as a value proposition for the gamer. At this point not sure a valid argument can be made that a price increase would be unjustifiable…

If you’re not getting it because of brand loyalty you need to rethink your choices :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last point I want to make - I like the Fable main character. I know a lot of you would prefer her in a skintight catsuit with out of proportion ‘assets’ but that’s because (I’m assuming) you’re 13 and your hormones are out of control. Step out of your parent’s basement.

hinch7

Missed the first part but caught up with some trailers. DOOM, MGS, GoW, BLOPs 6.. all games I really want to play. Easily a B.

The rest like Indie, Fable, Perfect Dark doesn't look like my cup of tea.

Last edited:

sendit

Crushed that. Kind of ironic that PlayStation fanboys are hoping Microsoft throws them a bone after Sony’s output seems to have fallen off a cliff…

That Game Pass though… I almost feel bad that it’s such an insane deal. Not complaining or saying ‘charge more’ but it’s way out there on its own as a value proposition for the gamer. At this point not sure a valid argument can be made that a price increase would be unjustifiable…

If you’re not getting it because of brand loyalty you need to rethink your choices :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last point I want to make - I like the Fable main character. I know a lot of you would prefer her in a skintight catsuit with out of proportion ‘assets’ but that’s because (I’m assuming) you’re 13 and your hormones are out of control. Step out of your parent’s basement.
They did, Doom Dark Ages is coming to the PS5 along with:

djjinx2

Is it me or are there alot of salty posts starting to pull back opinions on how great alot of the games looked? Check the seperate threads and you should see what I mean. Opinions I know, just seems like a herd to me. Strange.

Last edited:
Very good overall, but reading between the lines, correct me if I am wrong:

- no mention of Xbox exclusive at all anywhere in this show. They just put what xbox platforms or pc and gamepass and said nothing else.
- press release for doom says ps5

Since Doom is a huge title for Ms, and the lack of Xbox exclusive anywhere in that video, the floodgates on all software is open.

No portable sucks, white digital x is nice.

Doom is a 30+ year multi platform series. This was never going to be a game they locked behind exclusivity even before all this talk.

CherryFalls

like the Fable main character. I know a lot of you would prefer her in a skintight catsuit with out of proportion ‘assets’ but that’s because (I’m assuming) you’re 13 and your hormones are out of control. Step out of your parent’s basement.

866nviZ.jpeg

Very good overall, but reading between the lines, correct me if I am wrong:

- no mention of Xbox exclusive at all anywhere in this show. They just put what xbox platforms or pc and gamepass and said nothing else.
- press release for doom says ps5

No portable sucks, white digital x is nice.
Pretty sure Spencer said during and after the several acquisitions that they have no interest in making existing games that exist on multi-platforms away from the other platforms. So i think Doom, Fallout, more than likely elder scrolls as well (though we'll see about that depending on the rumored Starfield ps5 version) would still make it to PS5. If their new IP catalog makes its way to PS5, then yeah.

That being said, if its on gamepass day 1, why wouldn't people think of that as a major perk over spending 70 bucks (100 if your Canadian like me) on every title.

Rockondevil

A. Simple as that.
I could see people giving a B, but anything lower and they’re full of shit.

The F crowd give the same vibe as people giving movies a 1 on IMDB.

Chukhopops

I agree the protagonist made a much better impression this time, and she fits the vibe of the game really well too.

Sucks that Fable is still a year away at the very least.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Bros i see some high scores here but did we all forget most of the games showed were for 2025(might be delayed again since its so far) and literally 0 exclusives?

Plenty to be excited for this year and also dangling that carrot well to start hyping 2025.

Well done show

Damigos

Best xbox show i ve seen. At last, hopefully, they get it.
Hopefully people wont compare with State of Play, as it is completely different

Top Bottom