• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lizard Squad member convicted for Christmas attacks on PSN, Xbox Live

BokehKing

Banned
Might as well have done nothing. He'll do it again in the future, no doubt. Except this time he'll be far more ruthless about it.
He wouldn't do it again if he gets locked up and see's where his pranks could land him. Yeah it's free food and roof over your head but prison still sucks

In the end, all he did was inconvenience some gamers. Lets not go nuts. Having said that, the punishment should have been something that would actually deter him from becoming a recidivist.

A fine that would take him years and years to pay would hurt him more. Especially at 17. 30K fine would have stung.

It wasn't just taking down the networks. He also swatted people.

Deku Tree

well if anyone was contemplating the repercussions of getting involved with DDOSing giant corporations and impacting millions of users, this shows that its not all that bad.

*as long as your Finnish and can't be extradited to the USA. It's amazing to compare the sentence to the amount of financial damage this guy caused.

entremet

Two years of actual prison time is fine, maybe even excessive. Two years of glorified probation is a joke.

First offense.

Not every country has a vengeance based justice system like the US, which empowers gang activity and disenfranchises citizens after getting out.

komplanen

People don't understand how fucking ridiculous sentencing here in Finland is.

Here's an example:

1y 8mo for violent rape and mugging of a pregnant woman

The "violent" part didn't add anything to the sentencing as judges said punching is a part of rape and not a separate crime.

I've never heard anyone get more than 2y suspended for rape so this guy got it quite harsh by our sentencing.

Also it is practically commonplace that life sentences are pardoned after 10-12 years is the prisoner is at least slightly remorseful and acts like a decent human beign.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Not much of a deterrent. Probably won't be able to get a job requiring a clean criminal record, but that's about it.

" a requirement to speak out against cybercrime"

wait, what?

I immediately thought of that one subplot in season 3 of House of Cards.

wondermega

You get a DUI, they take away your license for awhile. You try to SWAT someone? They should make it illegal for you to use a computer for 15 years!

Couleurs

In the end, all he did was inconvenience some gamers.

Not true, sadly. He swatted the guy quoted in the OP, which considering how quick American police are to open fire and ask questions later, this could have ended a lot worse. I haven't read the rest of the story to see how many others were swatted, but this isn't a case of some kid preventing others from playing video games.

With that said, I'm not bothered by the weak punishment. Its a dumbass teenager being a dumbass teenager; if this makes him learn he isn't invincible without ruining his future, then good.

Percy

Banned
lol who cares it's just video games... Except of course it was also swatting, fraud, theft and tens of thousands of instances of cybercrime as well as that.

But hey, just tell his mum to ground him for a month and he'll learn his lesson.

Two years plus advocating against his kind of work for network outages is somewhat debatable... but I swear I will bust a vein if someone defends his swatting bullshit. Non violent my ass

No but he should have been locked up for at least 5-8 years

All this weak sentence shows is that you can do whatever you want as long as you don't get tried in the United states

I agree that this sentence is overly lenient for the horrible harassment, the cost of the attacks and the cost to emergency agencies but I would never point to the US as the ones getting it right.

soxxx

Banned
Way to go Finland, you sure taught all the hackers a lesson.

Yeah and when this guy was arrested back in December, Finland confiscated his computer but when he was in jail overnight they allowed him to use his computers and everything.

SgtCobra

lol who cares it's just video games... Except of course it was also swatting, fraud, theft and tens of thousands of instances of cybercrime as well as that.

But hey, just tell his mum to ground him for a month and he'll learn his lesson.
Spot on. People think it's only about that christmas debacle, 2 years is a joke.

A stupid brat rebellious teen with no perspective of what he's doing goes to jail for ten years. Precisely what the fuck do you expect to come out at the end?

I'm not saying he should get ten years.

I'm saying he should get more than zero.

EDIT: "Suspended sentence" means he won't see the inside of a prison at all.

h#shdem0n

Not much of a deterrent. Probably won't be able to get a job requiring a clean criminal record, but that's about it.

If Finland has an expungement system like the US, he might not even have a criminal record once his probation is over.

I don't think the sentencing is too lenient.

I think the swatting offences merit a way harsher punishment at least. That shit is going to get someone killed eventually.

People who make it their goal in life to make the lives of others more difficult deserve to be locked away. We're in this together. Don't be a twat.

Just wish the sentence were harsher.

Velcro Fly

yeah no doubt about it he'll learn his lesson and never do it again

great job Finland justice system. we can all rest easy after a job well done.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Maybe a mod should put "swatting" in the thread title, since sadly there are those who react without reading.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There's nothing strange about that post. The US has the highest recidivism rate in the world, if I'm not mistaken.

In the world lol! Yeah, well we're not beheading criminals over here.

Care to explain the "vengeance based justice system" remark?

Aroll

Because that approach works so well in the United States.

Well, no, but that's more so do with our piss poor way of reintroducing them to society. Oh, you served time, here you, you're free. You never taught them a new skill or gave them methods of leading a different life - so they go back to what they know. Same is true of all types of criminals in the US. It's not the punishments that are supposed to learning lesson. Too many parents do that to their children - grounding them as if it's going to teach them something. Yes, grounding is a consequence for the child's behavior and should be enforced, but you also have to teach them along the way what is and is not appropriate and how to find fun in better ways, etc.

Otherwise what do you think the kid is going to do? The same thing all over again. They will just learn to live with the punishment.

So, imprisonment is an appropriate punishment in this case, but showing them during this time how to be better citizens and people is just as important, and in the US, we typically skip that which means a very low criminal reform rate.

Personally: this kid didn't even get a slap on the wrist. He got 2 years probation (that's what suspended 2 year prison stuff is in finland) and he has to become an activist for prevention (likely doing a set amount of speeches about why it's bad). Meanwhile, he's alowed to have full access to computers and do it all over again, this time learning from his past mistakes and getting even better at hiding it, with a nice mask of "but I'm an activist!"

Keep in mind, it's not just the DDOS attacks. I guess I can get going a bit light on that. But swatting? Shit that endagers real human lives? Sorry, you need a real punishment for that. He was handed a handy excuse to do it again without getting suspected, and told he can't lave his home area, as if he really intended too anyways. Silly.

lol @ people demanding harsher punishment.
Dude is a minor and nobody got hurt. This is finland, not the wild west. In Finland the justice system is about rehabilitation, not revenge.

Top Bottom