• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lizard Squad member convicted for Christmas attacks on PSN, Xbox Live

No system is perfect. Does this mean we should go for the system that has a high recidivism rate?

Size doesn't matter.

Punishment deters crime? Cite your sources.

Then he is sent to jail. Their jail is not our jail though and will have a different experience.

Not sure what I avoided. You gave two killers who weren't mentally sound. Brady was declared criminally insane in 1985 according to wikipedia.

Then you don't desire to make people better. It's similar to how people congratulate Pewdiepie on his business but preface or end it with, "I don't like his videos". Barbs exist and sometimes show what you actually think.

I have a more rational and factual view of criminals. Your anecdotes paint your perspective and that's going against what's documented at making criminals better.

I would hate the person but I would understand and accept rehabilitation.

Punishment or the threat of it is what deters most people from committing crime. If all crimes had no punishment attached then people would break the law all the time. Do you seriously need that sourced?

If jail 'doesn't work' then how many people did they kill when they were in jail?

I never said I didn't ever want to make people better. Is that really the best you can do? Lol.
I said rehabilitation can be very important, even the single most important aspect in some cases, however it isn't the only function of the justice system and sentencing.
You would have to be weirdly naive to even believe it is.
Most rational people are simply arguing about the balance of the different functions of sentencing. You appear to be stuck in a world where other concerns such as public safety aren't as important as the one thing you care about so you completely disregard them.

You have the sort of view where all criminals are an amorphous blob who all think and act the same way. In your limited view they all respond to to the same treatment the same way and have the same potential for rehabilitation.
I know this isn't true because I know it's far more complex than that. They aren't all the same. That is ludicrous. Have you ever actually talked to any?

I don't believe you. But if you are telling the truth at least you could use your anger to murder the perpetrator knowing that you would only have to do 2 years of anger management classes eh?

fedexpeon

Banned
Predictable.
I think I predicted this sentence awhile back since the hidden war of national cyber-war is real.
You need these hackers since they are more valuable as a national asset.

Punishment or the threat of it is what deters most people from committing crime. If all crimes had no punishment attached then people would break the law all the time. Do you seriously need that sourced?
Yes. Cite sources.

If jail 'doesn't work' then how many people did they kill when they were in jail?
If this is your argument for against rehabilitation then you're doing a poor job. It's not a perfect system. It's better than punishment and that's a fact.

I never said I didn't ever want to make people better. Is that really the best you can do? Lol.
I said rehabilitation can be very important, even the single most important aspect in some cases, however it isn't the only function of the justice system and sentencing.
You would have to be weirdly naive to even believe it is.
Most rational people are simply arguing about the balance of the different functions of sentencing. You appear to be stuck in a world where other concerns such as public safety aren't as important as the one thing you care about so you completely disregard them.

Public safety isn't met with punishment. Rehabilitation is shown to be the safer option as well.

You have the sort of view where all criminals are an amorphous blob who all think and act the same way. In your limited view they all respond to to the same treatment the same way and have the same potential for rehabilitation.
I know this isn't true because I know it's far more complex than that. They aren't all the same. That is ludicrous. Have you ever actually talked to any?
Why would I need to talk to criminals to understand the statistics? Should I need to be a scientist to understand climate change?

I don't believe you. But if you are telling the truth at least you could use your anger to murder the perpetrator knowing that you would only have to do 2 years of anger management classes eh?

Then don't believe me. I know what I would do and you don't. Your way of thinking is confusing.

What else would I do?

Predictable.
I think I predicted this sentence awhile back since the hidden war of national cyber-war is real.
You need these hackers since they are more valuable as a national asset.

Whaaaa?

I mean if he hacked NASA, CIA, KGB, MI6, North Korea and Sony Pictures I could understand it.

He just did DDOS attacks and phoned SWAT attacks and stuff though didn't he?
Surely he's just a computer literate dick head with a massive ego and not enough empathy?

Rafterman

Banned
The sentence is bullshit, but not because he isn't going to prison. It's bullshit because whatever else happens to someone who commits a cyber crime, regardless of age, the absolute minimum sentence should include banning of the use of computers and the internet for length of time.

Yes. Cite sources.

Then don't believe me. I know what I would do and you don't. Your way of thinking is confusing.

What else would I do?

I can't be bothered.
Why does speeding decrease on roads with visible speed cameras?
Top tip. The cameras increase detection but if there was no punishment attached to being caught then nobody would care.
Do you really, really not understand that at all.

I don't believe you and I think it's the kind of intellectual dishonesty I can't really be bothered to engage with to be honest.

I can't be bothered.
Then we are not having a discussion.

Why does speeding decrease on roads with visible speed cameras?
Top tip. The cameras increase detection but if there was no punishment attached to being caught then nobody would care.
Do you really, really not understand that at all.

I don't believe you and I think it's the kind of intellectual dishonesty I can't really be bothered to engage with to be honest.

If this is your argument for against rehabilitation then you're doing a poor job. It's not a perfect system. It's better than punishment and that's a fact.

Public safety isn't met with punishment. Rehabilitation is shown to be the safer option as well.

Why would I need to talk to criminals to understand the statistics? Should I need to be a scientist to understand climate change?

Can you not read?

I'm not arguing against rehabilitation. I even said it could be considered the most important aspect of sentencing sometimes.
I'm saying it isn't always the sole focus of justice and sentencing. There are other considerations too.

Statistics are great and all but you are equating what happens in Finland to the USA. There are 3 million more people living in New York or in London (approx 8.5m each) than in the entirety of Finland. Does Finland share the same problems as the USA? What about poverty? Standards of living? Education? Racial diversity? Cultural norms? Religion? Population density? Etc etc.
Because unless all these things are very similar and directly relateable it seems specious at best to suggest that a single approach is inherently right or will work everywhere.

I didn't say you need to talk to criminals to understand statistics.
If you did actually speak to some you might actually realise why your view of them and treating them comes across as being incredibly one dimentional.

I just wanted to correct some of your deliberate misrepresentations of what I said.

Kai Gen

Neo Member
Yes. Cite sources.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-24428567

Singapore
"Only 16 people were murdered in 2011 in a country with a population of 5.1 million. Compare that to similarly sized Finland which had 116 murders and Slovakia with 96 murders in the same year."

"The country has the lowest level of drug abuse in the world when it comes to opiates, cocaine and ecstasy, and the second lowest for cannabis and amphetamines, according to a UN World Drug Report."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misuse_of_Drugs_Act_(Singapore)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Singapore#Capital_offences

Check out the list of things punishable by death there and tell me that punishment can't be effective. I am not saying I agree with it but it is an effective deterrent, Most of Asia is the same way.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-white-collar-criminals-death-sentence-2013-7

http://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp?title=2014

Similar crime rates and China has very strict punishments to deter crime.

So comparing the US broken system to make the Finish one look great using numbers is not a great idea. First off one country has 5m population and the other has 350m. It is a lot easier to control and govern 5m people than it is 350m.

Finland is also around 90% Finnish and the other Scandinavian countries make up a decent chunk of the rest of the population. Compared the the US which is a little over 50% non hispanic white so race/background relations are a thing. I mean most of the countries linked in https://www.salve.edu/sites/default/files/filesfield/documents/Incarceration_and_Recidivism.pdf that scored well are not diverse at all and I think it plays a huge part.

Then you also have the social systems of a small country that don't work the same way as a large country, you can't just copy and paste them over and expect the same results. I mean a decent amount of US criminals go back to jail because it is easier to stay there than it is to come out and try to fix things.

Not to mention the drug war and the relating crime which doesn't need any more explaining.

In the end I think the kid get off to easy, and no I don't mean he needs 10 years in prison. I think he needs to be sent to a retreat that focuses on mental health where he is isolated from the internet for at least 12 months where he can learn so not be a shitty human. He clearly has some issues if costing companies millions, swatting someone and inconveniencing millions is "fun".

televator

No, you don't understand. within 1 year he would have developed his adult brain that will be able to distinguish what is right and wrong. 17 year olds are just kids. Trust me, i'm an expert.

Actually, I remember reading a study about how the male brain doesn't fully develop in the frontal lobe area until the mid to late twenties. In my very base interpretation of it, it's the part of the brain that keeps young males from being total psychopaths more or less.

Dude put a damper on my xmas... 2 years is more than good for that. Plus, whatever legal costs he incurred.

Singapore
"Only 16 people were murdered in 2011 in a country with a population of 5.1 million. Compare that to similarly sized Finland which had 116 murders and Slovakia with 96 murders in the same year."

"The country has the lowest level of drug abuse in the world when it comes to opiates, cocaine and ecstasy, and the second lowest for cannabis and amphetamines, according to a UN World Drug Report."

Check out the list of things punishable by death there and tell me that punishment can't be effective. I am not saying I agree with it but it is an effective deterrent, Most of Asia is the same way.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-white-collar-criminals-death-sentence-2013-7

So comparing the US broken system to make the Finish one look great using numbers is not a great idea. First off one country has 5m population and the other has 350m. It is a lot easier to control and govern 5m people than it is 350m.

Finland is also around 90% Finnish and the other Scandinavian countries make up a decent chunk of the rest of the population. Compared the the US which is a little over 50% non hispanic white so race/background relations are a thing. I mean most of the countries linked in https://www.salve.edu/sites/default/files/filesfield/documents/Incarceration_and_Recidivism.pdf that scored well are not diverse at all and I think it plays a huge part.

Then you also have the social systems of a small country that don't work the same way as a large country, you can't just copy and paste them over and expect the same results. I mean a decent amount of US criminals go back to jail because it is easier to stay there than it is to come out and try to fix things.

Not to mention the drug war and the relating crime which doesn't need any more explaining.

In the end I think the kid get off to easy, and no I don't mean he needs 10 years in prison. I think he needs to be sent to a retreat that focuses on mental health where he is isolated from the internet for at least 12 months where he can learn so not be a shitty human. He clearly has some issues if costing companies millions, swatting someone and inconveniencing millions is "fun".

Thanks!

I'm on my phone at work and trying to get that sort of stuff is too much of a headache.

statham

eh, I think it right.... its not like he murdered, assaulted, raped anyone, he just took popular systems offline for a bit.

Actually, I remember reading a study about how the male brain doesn't fully develop in the frontal lobe area until the mid to late twenties. In my very base interpretation of it, it's the part of the brain that keeps young males from being total psychopaths more or less.

Dude put a damper on my xmas... 2 years is more than good for that. Plus, whatever legal costs he incurred.

Arrgh. Don't give them ammunition.
It's true that the brain is still developing until you are about 21. It's actually one of the reasons why youngsters have a better chance at recovering function after serious brain trauma.

That doesn't mean they don't have a frontal lobe or are incapable of knowing right from wrong. Lol.
If young brain development we're the sole reason then there would be far less criminals over the age of 21

Singapore

Either Singapore is a rare instance of it actually working or books are being cooked. No where else does it work. Singapore, like Japan, is very weird with how crime is handled.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-26/fact-check3a-does-the-death-penalty-deter3f/6116030

Finland doesn't have the same amount of law enforcement, judges, etc as America. It's all dependent on how many people live there IE since there's 5 million there won't be 300,000 cops.

Diversity does add to it but it's not the reason why the rates are so high. If it was then Europe would have killed itself ages ago.

Why can't a country with USA's population use rehabilitation? Can you outline how that cannot work?

Adds to it. Do you think prisons not providing any meaningful support or teachings means nothing? It's what most prisons do in the USA.

You don't want him to be punished? After your entire post of punishment works you decide he deserves rehab? You are a confusing person. Shouldn't locking him up work as well? Why do you decide to take the rehabilitation route?

televator

Arrgh. Don't give them ammunition.
It's true that the brain is still developing until you are about 21. It's actually one of the reasons why youngsters have a better chance at recovering function after serious brain trauma.

That doesn't mean they don't have a frontal lobe or are incapable of knowing right from wrong. Lol.
If young brain development we're the sole reason then there would be far less criminals over the age of 21

It's not to give anyone ammunition or to claim youngsters don't know right from wrong. I'm just saying that tailoring justice systems to consider age has merit.

SWATing is assault.

Oh he SWATed? Yeah, I can see him serving more for that. Nowadays, there's a high likelihood a cop raid ends in them shooting your dog and shooting you dead too... pretty much in that order.

Swatting repeatedly is a 'mistake'? Really?

Teenager's brains are wired differently to adults, they don't see consequences, they take stupid risks and act impulsively. A little bit like a drunk adult.

And yes, swatting was a mistake. Ask him when he's 40 what he thinks about the time he swatted people for laughs.

dont know if this was a serious post or not

uhm, yes. I expect it was.

Also: This sentence wasn't about his swatting escapades.

Teenager's brains are wired differently to adults, they don't see consequences, they take stupid risks and act impulsively. A little bit like a drunk adult.

And yes, swatting was a mistake. Ask him when he's 40 what he thinks about the time he swatted people for laughs.

uhm, yes. I expect it was.

when there's 14 year olds getting tried & sentenced as adults for shit i don't think "his brain at 17 isnt fully developed" is gonna cut it for most of us

Edit* then pretty much everything is a mistake after you get caught, doesn't excuse or lighten whats been done

You know the little shit could at least be convinced to apologise to everyone he pissed off. A video of him seeming genuinely sorry for what he has done would go a long way.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Two years? Not enough. ...especially considering the convicted him on 50,000 counts. What the fuck?

If it is for the DDOS attacks I'd think you can quickly rack up a huge amount of counts, you also have to keep in mind it's a teenager, I think it's way more important to help him get back on track than to punish him so heavily he cannot start into adulthood properly.

If it is for the DDOS attacks I'd think you can quickly rack up a huge amount of counts, you also have to keep in mind it's a teenager, I think it's way more important to help him get back on track than to punish him so heavily he cannot start into adulthood properly.

yup, give him a free pass so he can smarten up & not get caught next time lol

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
yup, give him a free pass so he can smarten up & not get caught next time lol

I did not say give him a free pass and he did not get one either, but stricter sentences don't necessarily lead to better behaviour in the future and I think for adolescent people it is particularly important not to be so harsh that you destroy the person's future, if we are talking a crime like a DDOS attack.

I did not say give him a free pass and he did not get one either, but stricter sentences don't necessarily lead to better behaviour in the future and I think for adolescent people it is particularly important not to be so harsh that you destroy the person's future, if we are talking a crime like a DDOS attack.

it wasn't just that, or a single instance

Kai Gen

Neo Member
You don't want him to be punished? After your entire post of punishment works you decide he deserves rehab? You are a confusing person. Shouldn't locking him up work as well? Why do you decide to take the rehabilitation route?
Not sure why it is confusing you. I stated I don't agree with some of their laws but I admit they are effective for governing their people as a deterrent. I mean to me some of it is completely absurd to lose your life over some of the Singapore laws but at the same time Norway which operates much like Finland gave a mass killer of 77 people a 21 year sentence which is beyond stupid and I think there needs to be a middle ground in all of this.

Also if you are gonna call out Singapore for cooking the books you would be calling out pretty much all of South/Eastern Asia considering Japan, China, Taiwan, Indonesia, Hong Kong all have very harsh punishments yet they also have some fairly low crime rates.

In the article you linked the picture of countries with the Death Penalty has countries from worst crime rates to the best (South Korea) so arguing the effectiveness by that alone is incredibly misleading and is purely opinion until proven certain by eliminating all the other contributing factors.

As far as diversity goes I think it plays a role to some extent. If you look at the lowest crime countries you see that pretty much all of them have a near 90% or higher of original origin to that country. The UK which has probably the worst rates in the EU also has a pretty diverse group of people 1/6 being non white there.

Do I think that the reasons I gave are the only reasons? Of course not like I said there are tons of factors that it makes it very hard to directly compare. So when you try to compare groups with tons of contributing factors and boil it all down to one fact you are coming across as the same people who argue that vaccinations cause autism.

My personal stance varies case by case and I think this guy needs to spend a lot of time away from the internet and isolated to get help and that is why I suggest a retreat for mental health.

fedexpeon

Banned
Haha, what does “ordered to fight against cybercrime” entail?

If he does have computer/technology smart and the know how and connection to enter underground channel, they will train him to be an asset.
I am serious.
Even after serving 2 yrs, he will always be on "call" to work for the government.

Yaska

As some other Finns have said in this thread, the young age was definitely the factor. Finnish Criminal code actually says, that unless there are extremely heavy reasons, persons who are of age 18 or lower (15-18) are not sentenced to jail. This is in line with his sentence. According to the judges there are no heavy reasons to put him in the jail. Also do note that Finnish judges are actively encouraged not to sentence anyone to jail.

Although it could be argued that due to the amount of attacks there would be heavy reasons to put him in jail. Also this wasn't the PSN case itself (but MIT and MongoHQ and so on), that is still being investigated. These crimes were committed in 2012-2013 when he was 15-16 (also a decisive factor) and included the money laundering and credit card thefts. He's still under investigation on many other crimes, and most likely Sony or Microsoft will ask for rather big reparations.

Skimming through Finnish news doesn't say anything about "ordered to fight against cybercrime", but it does say that he's under surveillance (which is not usual), and that he lost his computer and roughly 7000 euros to the state. For those who asked, he will have criminal record for 5 years.

Yes, our justice system is too lenient on some cases, but this kid will end up in jail most likely, as he already will have repeat offender status during next cases. The jailtime itself, will however be along the lines of maximum 4 years or so for these crimes. But anyway, can't really comment without seeing the actual court documents (I will most likely request them if I'm bored enough), and most likely either the prosecutor or the kid will appeal.

Also I'd like to end this tiny write up with a comment that our system is for rehabilitation, not punishment. Although most people confuse them as the criminal code still says punishment.

As some other Finns have said in this thread, the young age was definitely the factor. Finnish Criminal code actually says, that unless there are extremely heavy reasons, persons who are of age 18 or lower (15-18) are not sentenced to jail. This is in line with his sentence. According to the judges there are no heavy reasons to put him in the jail. Also do note that Finnish judges are actively encouraged not to sentence anyone to jail.

Although it could be argued that due to the amount of attacks there would be heavy reasons to put him in jail. Also this wasn't the PSN case itself (but MIT and MongoHQ and so on), that is still being investigated. These crimes were committed in 2012-2013 when he was 15-16 (also a decisive factor) and included the money laundering and credit card thefts. He's still under investigation on many other crimes, and most likely Sony or Microsoft will ask for rather big reparations.

Skimming through Finnish news doesn't say anything about "ordered to fight against cybercrime", but it does say that he's under surveillance (which is not usual), and that he lost his computer and roughly 7000 euros to the state. For those who asked, he will have criminal record for 5 years.

Yes, our justice system is too lenient on some cases, but this kid will end up in jail most likely, as he already will have repeat offender status during next cases. The jailtime itself, will however be along the lines of maximum 4 years or so for these crimes. But anyway, can't really comment without seeing the actual court documents (I will most likely request them if I'm bored enough), and most likely either the prosecutor or the kid will appeal.

Also I'd like to end this tiny write up with a comment that our system is for rehabilitation, not punishment. Although most people confuse them as the criminal code still says punishment.

Actually it sounds like your system does try to balance punishment and rehabilitation in some form if what you say has happened is true.
He has lost his computer and €7000 for example. What is rehabilitative about that? It's straightforward punishment.

KJRS_1993

Actually it sounds like your system does try to balance punishment and rehabilitation in some form if what you say has happened is true.
He has lost his computer and €7000 for example. What is rehabilitative about that? It's straightforward punishment.

He's also been sentenced to work alongside the police to combat cyber crime. While obviously I don't know what that would consist of, I imagine it could partly depend on him helping to identify other members of hacker groups.

Definitely a way to give him a more productive use of his time than sitting festering in a cell. If he wasn't alienated, dumb and jaded before he went in, he definitely would be coming out.

He's also been sentenced to work alongside the police to combat cyber crime. While obviously I don't know what that would consist of, I imagine it could partly depend on him helping to identify other members of hacker groups.

Definitely a way to give him a more productive use of his time than sitting festering in a cell. If he wasn't alienated, dumb and jaded before he went in, he definitely would be coming out.

You're making way too many assumptions.

ConceptX

50,700 counts and a suspended sentence?

All this has done is further cement Lizard Squads mentality of being "untouchable".

Bluenoser

The main thing is that he was caught and convicted. His anonymous status was exposed and he can never do this again, because his door will be the first police knock on if it happens again.

I hope part of his punishment was helping track down the other members of LS.

Yaska

the ~7k euros is the amount he swindled through credit card frauds and stuff, so not exactly a punishment. The computer part is. However, I will be ordering the court documents if they have electronic version of those, and will update here what the reasoning behind the sentence and the actual sentence is and whether or not this has to do with the PSN & XBlive attacks.

That's it???

EDIT: It appears he might not have been actually sentenced for the Christmas attacks (yet), but sentenced for crimes he committed prior. There are conflicting reports on this. He just so happens to be one of the Lizard Squad members who took part in the Christmas attacks.

SOURCE: http://www.dailydot.com/crime/lizard-squad-indicted-julius-kivimaki/
SOURCE: http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/7/890...eenager-kivimaki-psn-attack-xbox-live-finland

EDIT #2: Kotaku is also reporting on this, and they are not directly linking his sentence to the Christmas attacks.

SOURCE: http://kotaku.com/lizard-squad-member-found-guilty-on-50-700-charges-1716387990

Fight against Cybercrime, he was running scripts that were probably made by someone else, he wasn't a hacker, let's not make him out to actually be decent at hacking here!

Top Bottom