• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Xbox Live cross-network (PSN and other networks) play

Can you show me where Sony has been open to Xbox cross play?

It doesn't work that way when Microsoft has been against cross platform full stop and Sony hasn't. Now that Microsoft is on board you can't ask for Sony examples of Microsoft cross platforms lol

Wtf guys come on

Afrodium

Banned
This is crazy news, but let's keep our expectations in check. I'm expecting cross-network play to be relegated to random matchmaking. Don't expect to add PS4 users to your friends list or chat with them in a party. Basically, if you have an Xbox and your friend has a PS4, you probably won't be able to intentionally play with one another.

Wow this is huge. Good job MS.

Your move, Sony.
o9TufRW.gif

This was how I interpreted it also.. that it was going to be for indie games, not AAA.

It's for any title that wants to enable it. Not just ID@Xbox titles.

Not only ID@Xbox.

It is quite obvious despite many still in denial.
Pushing it as a service means they won't make another console? They still need hardware to run that service even if the Xbox becomes a less powerful pc (already is).

I doubt we will se already established games use this aside from things like Rocket League. I don't expect FFXIV to ever come as they probably don't have the time to port it over. And if they do it would mean setting back content updates for the already established player base.

This bodes well for future games, however. Being able to play with PS and XB players on my PC means you don't have to worry so much about an empty community.

This is crazy news, but let's keep our expectations in check. I'm expecting cross-network play to be relegated to random matchmaking. Don't expect to add PS4 users to your friends list or chat with them in a party. Basically, if you have an Xbox and your friend has a PS4, you probably won't be able to intentionally play with one another.
Well for future games that support it I expect them to make you login through another Network to allow players to invite each other from other platforms, like Capcoms Fighting Network.

Raide

MS should port KI to PS4 and give them a fighting game with some content in it, plus they get cross play! /s

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
" This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks"

What's a "Windows 10 using Xbox live"? Is this win 10 windows store only

Capella

Can you show me where Sony has been open to Xbox cross play?
FFXI? I think DQX will also be cross play when it comes to PS4 but I can't find a link for that right now. Yoshi-P also hasn't said anything about Sony being the barrier preventing FFXIV from coming to other platforms.

" This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks"

What's a "Windows 10 using Xbox live"? Is this win 10 windows store only
Windows 10 store games utilize Xbox Live. I don't think non-Windows Store games can use Xbox Live..

Gray Matter

what would this mean for console exclusivity? It wouldn't be smart to limit the player base when cross platform gaming is a thing.

DryvBy

We'll see going forwards, but in-game party systems should make that possible in the short-term, and maybe we'll see linking your Xbox Live ID with your PSN ID, like PlayStation has done with Steam in the past.

I just don't know how that would work unless you have a 3rd party login system. Because I can be DryvBy on PSN and Xbox Live. Which one would it party add?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What happens when a Dev wants to use something other than azure and wants cross play but Microsoft says no because it needs azure? Then whos blocking who

This is my question as well.

Amazon is used by Sony, and EA uses their own servers as well.

The 'up to developers' seems like a side step from the actual issue if it comes to this. It can mean, 'it is up to the developers wether they want to use Azure to take advantage or not'.

Piccoro

So, does anyone have any actual technical details about how this works? From reading it, it sounds like it's limited to games developed with XB1 + Win10 APIs, right?

Does that mean that games must be released on the Windows Store to have compatibility?

Are other parties (e.g. Sony) sending their data to XBL servers for addition features like parties, or is it simply the ability to have cross-platform play? The details are sparse it seems.

I also wonder about this.
I think that a full PS4 -> Xbox One multiplayer party will be impossible.
How would the voice chat work? How would you invite friends on other consoles? By writing their Live gamer tag on PSN?

Here's what a Rocket League dev answered when asked about PS4 -> PC parties on RL:

Parties are entirely implemented via platform-specific services. So when you party up with your friend on PS4, all the data that goes back and forth to make parties work - "This guy joined our party. We're joining this server." etc. goes through Sony's system.
There's no way to send that data to a Steam user because Sony's system does not know Steam exists, much less who your friends are on it.
The only way to do cross-platform parties is to have your own independent friends list and party system backend that handles it all separately from Sony/Steam/etc. Unfortunately this is a big system and as an indie developer we have to pick our battles on what we spend our time and resources on. We weren't even sure cross-play would be approved until very recently, so it would have been a bad decision to invest heavily in a multiplatform party system only to be told it wasn't approved. It would also be an additional risk at launch for us because if our party servers couldn't handle the load, it could break everyone's ability to party up and play together, not just cross-platform, whereas relying on Sony and Steam services is a much safer and more reliable choice.
We realize that it's still disappointing and are looking into workarounds as well as considering whether we can take on a full party/friends system overhaul to allow cross-plat partying.

So I think that PS4 -> PC -> Xbox multiplayer will work the same way that Rocket League works now on PS4: By matching us with random players in either platform.

Withnail

This is not true...at all.

Yes it is. Otherwise why not do it years ago when it was XBL and not PSN that had the most players and the most exclusive games?

It's also partly about making the XB1 more attractive to devs so they don't miss out on the next breakout mp hit like Rocket League (or get it late).

This sounds great, but how does it actually work?

Let's say you've got friends you want to play with on XBL and you're on PSN or PC. How do you find friends that are on other chat/friends ecosystems?
I guess it works with Win10/XBL since they're both just Microsoft accounts (I even used my old XBL MS account when migrating to Win10).

I think Sony have just as much (if not more) to gain from this too. They have the most powerful console, so their marketing message would be, "You can now buy the best console and don't worry about leaving your friends behind".

MS will only really see a net gain if Sony refuse, since MS could then market Win10 cross-play as a killer feature.

I really hope this actually happens. My friends are split across multiple platforms, usually making multiplayer games too much effort. Co-ordinating a platform choice usually involves at least half my friends being unable/unwilling to play, and more often than not involves everyone deciding it's not worth the hassle outside of the most popular games like Destiny/Division/CoD/BF.
Allowing crossplay would make multiplayer so much more viable, which ultimately means more money for publishers that support it.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
It might release on Win10 store too.

But yeah, I guess it for all the networks.
Psyonix already said the reason why Xbox/Steam crossplay wasn't in at launch was because they didn't want to release the game on Windows Store and have different PC versions.

This is Microsoft coming to their table.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Are you suggesting those Indie developers in ID@Xbox program who are already struggling with time and resources, are going to happy building an User Credential system ?

no, I'm saying it seems possible that you could do that though because publishers already have a third-party account system that can bring together the console accounts.

so if I play on xbox and make a character as long as it's linked to, say, the Rockstar social club, I should be able to go onto a PC or PS4 and get the same character.

Apathy

Dev can use Azure for PS4 games.

I'm not getting the issue here.

I know they can, the question was what if a Dev does not, they want to use a different architecture for their online component. Right now if course if it's azure based ms is fine cause they are buying the time on azure. Will ms allow it if a Dev say wants to use rackspace or amazon

Raide

Does this mean people in Dark Souls 3 on Xbox One can get invaded by PS4 and PC Users?

IF FromSoft actually used this feature, there I no reason why all platforms could not invade other platforms. Would be amazing to see but I don't see it happening with DS3.

Sounds great but would consoles want to interact with PC for multiplayer shooters? I really want to see what MS says at E3 this year

Yes it is. Otherwise why not do it years ago when it was XBL and not PSN that had the most players and the most exclusive games?

It's also partly about making the XB1 more attractive to devs so they don't miss out on the next breakout mp hit like Rocket League (or get it late).

Many companies make these kinds of moves and are still in a dominant position...........................maybe not MS, but market leaders do this all the time.

Amazing. As someone who was 360 all last gen but went PS4 this gen I've lost basically all my old friends. If I could pick up and play some games with them from my PS4 I'd probably even be willing to buy some games I otherwise wouldn't just to take advantage

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Given that players will get the same experience on Xbox Live as on other networks for these games, how is it justified to pay for Gold for these games? (I guess the less trolly way to say this is: With Microsoft putting more eggs in the Windows 10 basket and offering support for this and the reforms in 2013-2014 to remove paid Xbox Live for apps, how will they continue to provide value for Gold subscriptions?)

Zeta Oni

Given that players will get the same experience on Xbox Live as on other networks for these games, how is it justified to pay for Gold for these games? (I guess the less trolly way to say this is: With Microsoft putting more eggs in the Windows 10 basket and offering support for this and the reforms in 2013-2014 to remove paid Xbox Live for apps, how will they continue to provide value for Gold subscriptions?)

I'd guess free games, and maybe some premium features like 60fps DVR and uhhh....i am not sure what else.

Alienous

I just don't know how that would work unless you have a 3rd party login system. Because I can be DryvBy on PSN and Xbox Live. Which one would it party add?

DryvBy and
icon_xbox360.png
DryvBy, maybe? The same with PS4.

Just put an icon of the other platform in-front of the name?

Raide

Gold Subs get %'s off new Cross-buy Titles?

IF FromSoft actually used this feature, there I no reason why all platforms could not invade other platforms. Would be amazing to see but I don't see it happening with DS3.

So maybe the next Souls game?

Shit COD is going to be fun with multiple networks.

Top Bottom