• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Xbox Live cross-network (PSN and other networks) play

Given that players will get the same experience on Xbox Live as on other networks for these games, how is it justified to pay for Gold for these games? (I guess the less trolly way to say this is: With Microsoft putting more eggs in the Windows 10 basket and offering support for this and the reforms in 2013-2014 to remove paid Xbox Live for apps, how will they continue to provide value for Gold subscriptions?)
I guess the free games. There was hardly ever a real benefit or value from Xbox Live sense it's inception, just a way to get some more cash. Xbox users won't have a problem with it.

Trago

Given that players will get the same experience on Xbox Live as on other networks for these games, how is it justified to pay for Gold for these games? (I guess the less trolly way to say this is: With Microsoft putting more eggs in the Windows 10 basket and offering support for this and the reforms in 2013-2014 to remove paid Xbox Live for apps, how will they continue to provide value for Gold subscriptions?)

I would guess that if Xbox players don't make a big stink about it, they won't. But if they do, MS could probably spin it as a 'Games with Gold service' or something.

Right now they can still get away with it because Sony charges for PSN as well. So if you are on consoles you are paying. PC gamers are basically the ones getting the sweet deal with no subscription.

But then again maybe the biggest gun of all is still coming. Free Gold subs. Maybe they are going to to monetize the business in another way

Mastperf

I would love to see Minecraft support this for the console versions. It should be easy with 4J Studios making all of them.

Raide

So maybe the next Souls game?

Shit COD is going to be fun with multiple networks.

I guess it possible. Depending on how easy it is to implement.

For something like COD, Activision could just use Azure and make the process much easier. Cross networks could potentially add another layer of complications.

The God

This sounds great, but how does it actually work?

Let's say you've got friends you want to play with on XBL and you're on PSN or PC. How do you find friends that are on other chat/friends ecosystems?
I guess it works with Win10/XBL since they're both just Microsoft accounts (I even used my old XBL MS account when migrating to Win10).

You don't, at least with the way Rocket League works because PS4 can't form a party or invite PC players. Maybe games could implement an ID system that's separate from PSN/XBL/Steam. But I still see OS features like party chat/friends list and game invites being a factor in choosing a console.

GnawtyDog

Banned

This move could be viewed as a net negative or as a net positive. If you happen to be on the net negative camp then you come up to the same conclusion....Gold is losing value.

ElRenoRaven

Sony had better get the hell on board and Bungie had better make this a thing. Destiny 2 had better have cross platform play and cross platform saves. There is absolutely no reason not to now.

Calibos

What happens when a Dev wants to use something other than azure and wants cross play but Microsoft says no because it needs azure? Then whos blocking who

I think we can all "what if" this or any news to death....bottom line is MS was closed to a lot of things, including cross-platform play...now they are open to it and even went a step further with open and optional cross network play...

It's a net win for gamers and a huge step in a positive direction.

Expect the next Ffxiv expansion to come to the one bundled with ARR and HW.

Too bad I moved to the PS4. Influx of new players is always nice though.

Dunkley

I'd say just about the same way as Sony has been doing it with PS Plus.

Unless Street Fighter V nor Rocket League require PS Plus to play against PC players.

Samus4145

It doesn't work that way when Microsoft has been against cross platform full stop and Sony hasn't. Now that Microsoft is on board you can't ask for Sony examples of Microsoft cross platforms lol

Wtf guys come on

After reading this thread, this is my reaction as well. The amount of Sony bashing in this thread is insane.

The gauntlet has been thrown. They basically are putting the ball squarely in Sony's court: if games aren't cross-platform online, it's because Sony didn't allow it.

So Microsoft decided to do EXACTLY what Sony is already doing regarding cross platform?

Smart move Microsoft!!

Boke1879

Sony had better get the hell on board and Bungie had better make this a thing. Destiny 2 had better have cross platform play and cross platform saves. There is absolutely no reason not to now.

I definitely think big publishers will be the slowest to get on board with this. They are reactionary by nature.

Floody

Some of the big MP FPS publishers must be licking their lips at this, it'd be so easy to market a game that let's both platforms face each other.

Crazy news!

Will be interesting to see Sony's response, though I'm pretty sure they'll go for it. (I know they apparently didn't allow it with some Wii U release a while back, but not sure of any recent examples.)

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I think cross-platform multiplayer for Minecraft could be huge.

Imagine PC, Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One players being able to join up.

Top Bottom