• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Xbox Live cross-network (PSN and other networks) play

TalonJH

The gauntlet has been thrown. They basically are putting the ball squarely in Sony's court: if games aren't cross-platform online, it's because Sony didn't allow it.

Come on Sony, it's your turn!

Just imagine being able to play battlefield crossplay with Xbox, and even PC if we can get them to require controllers

Jeremy Dunham(Rocket Leauge) in February was on Greg & Colin and he said it was a political reason and a MS rule that they had asked about getting by.

https://www.twitch.tv/kindafunnygames/v/50010064
skip to 34:00

This is good news for everyone. It's how it should be but understandable why it hasn't been. If it actually becomes a common thing, this generation will move into my top 3 instantly.

GnawtyDog

Banned
From a console manufacturer standpoint, this strengthens third parties leverage on the market....aka more pandering required.

If it wasn't any clearer that without third parties a console is bust...this will only strengthen the big players with the big franchises.

My realistic prediction is that a few games, indie titles and the like, will probably use this. Maybe some MMOs or F2P games where more player base is super important. But if you're expecting to play Destiny 2 (or even 3) cross platform with your friends I bet you're going to be disappointed.

Withnail

I guess at some point XBO and Windows Store PC will get cross platform parties and invites etc but there's no way that will happen with PSN. This will be one way of making the Win 10 platforms more attractive to consumers. Basically MS will reclaim the PC community as part of the XBL ecosystem rather than something more connected with PSN (as it kind of has been recently with FFXIV, SFV, etc).

HUELEN10

Guys... I read the OP. Why is PSN in the title? It is never mentioned, just other consoles.

Sony charges for thier services, Nontendo and PC gaming does not. Isn't going for free services first the likely thing, as that doesn't push money monthly into the pockets of competitors?

Cutebrute

I'd assume that this move will make publishers think twice about signing timed/exclusive dlc deals if that would create issues with a cross-platform environment. Also, this seems like an excellent way to make XBL Gold subs relevant to lapsed console players if this is implemented correctly.

Some of the big MP FPS publishers must be licking their lips at this, it'd be so easy to market a game that let's both platforms face each other.

Also something important for devs and pubs is a bigger community will stay healthier for longer and can keep mindshare with gamers longer. Why is this important?

DLC. They can sell high margin DLC for much longer and have a steady consistent revenue stream.

Raide

i guessing gamechat / party chat is another beast in itself?

Could be very complicated due to different protocols for voice etc. Sony would have to match up to what MS's currently offers in order to make voice etc feasible. Probably won't happen, just due to logistics.

GodofWine

I just see this as another guarded way to say that the xbox platform is turning more into a PC, iterative and modularly upgradeable boxes are the future.

Apathy

I think we can all "what if" this or any news to death....bottom line is MS was closed to a lot of things, including cross-platform play...now they are open to it and even went a step further with open and optional cross network play...

It's a net win for gamers and a huge step in a positive direction.

Yeah but they don't get off Scott free just because they announce this if the underlying caveat is "must be with azure servers" people need to be sceptical about things.

It would make me so happy if Sony allows this and companies like EA, Ubisoft, Activision take advantage of this. No more having to worry about what platform you buy a game on or double dipping to play with multiple friends.

I dont understand the jubilation in this thread. This isnt new.

They did this with GFWL. Like 2 games supported it and the idea and GFWL died after a while.

Whats changed? Why will this time be any different?

Phionoxx

This is pretty big news. A simple thing you would think, but it sure took a long time to happen. I hope that it gets used and supported more and more as time goes on - could really help multiplayer PC gaming as those communities tend to die off quickly at times.

Afrodium

Banned
Guys... I read the OP. Why is PSN in the title? It is never mentioned, just other consoles.

Sony charges for thier services, Nontendo and PC gaming does not. Isn't going for free services first the likely thing, as that doesn't push money monthly into the pockets of competitors?

The only other consoles are PS4 and Wii U

Toki767

Games are way more likely to support PC/PSN than PC/Nintendo.

Trago

As long as devs and publishers buy into the idea. But I suspect they will, and quickly.

There's virtually no reason not to. Hell, game launches could get bigger if the players knew they could compete against other platforms.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
If this takes off this eliminates customers from choosing a platform based on "what their friends have", because unless it's an exclusive title, they'll be able to play with their friends no matter what.

Zeta Oni

I dont understand the jubilation in this thread. This isnt new.

They did this with GFWL. Like 2 games supported it and the idea and GFWL died after a while.

Whats changed? Why will this time be any different?

There is nothing to understand.

People just aren't as cynical as you, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just like there's nothing wrong with being cynical.

Floody

i guessing gamechat / party chat is another beast in itself?

Yeah, gamechat mightn't be too hard, but I really don't see cross platform party chat or even having Xbox friends show up on you PS4 friends list and vice versa. I suppose MS could put Skype on PS4 to bypass the first problem though.

They already allow this?

Sony's been doing it for a while now. It's MS that has finally somewhat come around.

No, they haven't. Sony have always been more open regarding cross play between PlayStation and PC, that part is true.

This is about universal cross play across ALL devices, and providing the development tools to make it happen.

Just how much inter-connectivity this will allow remains to be seen.

FinKL

Doesn't this mean that ALL PS4 and PC games are also cross play too?
The only downside like someone linked earlier (from what a psynoix dev wrote)is that we'd have to go through another service (W10 Live?) where we'll all have seperate accounts that MS would have control of.

I guess at some point XBO and Windows Store PC will get cross platform parties and invites etc but there's no way that will happen with PSN. This will be one way of making the Win 10 platforms more attractive to consumers. Basically MS will reclaim the PC community as part of the XBL ecosystem rather than something more connected with PSN (as it kind of has been recently with FFXIV, SFV, etc).

You can already Party Chat with XboxOne people on W10.

Dabanton

The next round of consoles (or whatever form they'll take) are going to be very interesting. Imagine cross platform play from launch. It could mean certain games not dying when the userbase moves on.

I like what I'm seeing from MS here, slowly breaking down the walls they helped build up.

Next thing I hope to see thrown on the fire, console exclusive DLC. That shit has ran it's course. Lets see if MS or Sony can wean themselves off doing it.

This is huge. A lot of people keep asking if this is really what gamers wanted, but for many - including myself - this is huge simply for the fact that I no longer have to buy multiple consoles to play with all my gaming buddies.

Bravo MS. Here's hoping that the developers adopt this en masse.

Kayant

This bit from the article is interesting:

Just checked the website for the game and saw this:

•The ultimate multiplayer experience: Play cross-platform on Nintendo 3DS™, Wii U, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch & Android devices.

Looks like Sony rejected the invitation for Nintendo Network/PSN cross platform play, then.

Worth noting as far as Rocket League on Xbox One will go to supporting multiplayer with PS4 players (so far an invitation has been sent out, much like how one was for Pure Chess on Wii U). Though the publicity of this might cause Sony to change their mind - this is out in the open, whereas barely anyone knew Nintendo Network supported it.

As I mentioned earlier, it's not in Sony's interests to lessen the sales the leverage they can pull to sell PS4s to those who want to play with other PS4 owners -- and there are more of those than XBO owners.

That's interesting given the below -

For those wondering, games like Dreii currently allow cross-platform play between PlayStation 4, PS Vita, Wii U, PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android. Sounds like Xbox will finally be joining everyone else.

I guess in that case they either refused or devs haven't had to guess to implement it yet? Either way I feel they would be open to this.

I know they can, the question was what if a Dev does not, they want to use a different architecture for their online component. Right now if course if it's azure based ms is fine cause they are buying the time on azure. Will ms allow it if a Dev say wants to use rackspace or amazon
Why wouldn't they? They don't do it atm I can't see them doing it now with cross play games.

I'd say just about the same way as Sony has been doing it with PS Plus.

Unless Street Fighter V nor Rocket League require PS Plus to play against PC players.
For MS it's a lot harder given they have plans to support cross-play with some their titles plus have the Xbox app which gives you XBL featues(party chat etc) on Win 10 right now.

Given that players will get the same experience on Xbox Live as on other networks for these games, how is it justified to pay for Gold for these games?

Currently the console industry as a whole currently adopts this model without too much pushback. (I'm trying not to say "Sony Too!" but I don't know why you single out MS while not mentioning Sony, who also charge for PS+ even though the game is cross play)?

That said, I do seriously wonder if we're going to get an E3 Bomba to drop charging for XBL multiplayer (while keeping gold for other features like games with gold, discounts, etc.)

Top Bottom