• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces Xbox Live cross-network (PSN and other networks) play

onQ123

"we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well."

But wasn't they the ones stopping them in the 1st place?

Cool news either way this will be big

Trago

I can see it now.

Literal console war commercials like the Sega vs Nintendo days.

'Cept this time the the fanboys get to fight each other lol.

Does this mean the end of exclusive /timed dlc? At least for mp games.

I can't imagine a publisher taking that kinda of deal now.

Zeta Oni

I've MADE the Rocket League threads.

I don't get it.

Right now.

Uhh...

Ok am I misunderstanding something?

They announced crossplay with PSN and PC with Xbox for rocket league.

So why is it hard to believe that playstation would be included in this crossplay situation?

I don't know if it's that cut and dry. Devs still have to allow it, and some may not because of competitive advantage (at least where PC is concerned)

Nothing in life ever that simple or cut and dry. We assume, based on developers comments, that MS was the roadblock to cross-play between PS and Xbone. So MS has seemingly removed those roadblocks. So assuming all that, it would be up to the developers to impleuthe ability on their games.

I have always wondered why Sony does allow cross play and MS not. This is great news. Should mean more games are coming to it as well then.

Josh378

I don't think people understand what happens in the long run. Now that Microsoft is open themselves to all consoles and the PC, how do we differentiate between each console now accept by console specs. Now ppl will only buy the most powerful console. This is definitely a win/win for MS. Ppl will only buy the most powerful console with the right price. Something that Microsoft can price out Sony for next-gen console. So this could be a double-edged sword in the console Market.

HUELEN10

Uhh...

Ok am I misunderstanding something?

They announced crossplay with PSN and PC with Xbox for rocket league.

So why is it hard to believe that playstation would be included in this crossplay situation?
We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.

My point exactly.

Yeah, gamechat mightn't be too hard, but I really don't see cross platform party chat or even having Xbox friends show up on you PS4 friends list and vice versa. I suppose MS could put Skype on PS4 to bypass the first problem though.

HAHAHAHA! No fucking way.

Zeta Oni

We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.

My point exactly.

WHAT OTHER NETWORKS ARE THERE?

If this game as Console Exclusive, theyd be singing it from the heavens. And when asked, Sean Murray says he's not allowed to comment.

nmsvsuxx.jpg

WadeitOut

My point exactly.

Meaning Sony plays ball or GAF has to choose between Sony or gamers. Either way it will be fun to watch.

krang

XB1 players are going to tear PS4 and PC players a new one with this.

Easier to spot enemies when there's less grass to hide behind.

Meaning Sony plays ball or GAF has to choose between Sony or gamers. Either way it will be fun to watch.

This is fucked up. Sony led the charge with rocket league cross platform since launch but now the ball is in Sonys court to go cross platform with rocket league?

I really don't understand

And it's either you are a gamer or Sony fan? Where the hell were all the gamers before today?

Toki767

I don't think people understand what happens in the long run. Now that Microsoft is open themselves to all consoles and the PC, how do we differentiate between each console now accept by console specs. Now ppl will only buy the most powerful console. This is definitely a win/win for MS. Ppl will only buy the most powerful console with the right price. Something that Microsoft can price out Sony for next-gen console. So this could be a double-edged sword in the console Market.

There's this small thing called games that people buy a console for.

I hope the gaming community will put pressure on the devs to support this. We should've given MS shit for this all along but now that some devs will include this, our standards will go up and this will become the norm. well, hopefuly.

greenegt

Sony is in. No reason not to be. Glad to see MS getting with the times and moving away from their old draconian policies.

Respawn

Banned
So I finally won't have to buy 2 versions of every game??
And that's one of the catches so far. Will the devs thing about their wallets or fans in supporting this feature? Surely would cut their production cost I think. Tune in at E3 to find out more I suppose.

This is fucked up. Sony led the charge with rocket league cross platform since launch but now the ball is in Sonys court to go cross platform with rocket league?

And it's either you are a gamer or Sony fan? Where the hell were all the gamers before today?

War...War never changes.

GnawtyDog

Banned
We dont know enough info yet to say definitively if there is or not.

As of NOW however it doesnt seem like there is. The game itself would likely just have to use Azure servers

Why should it? It will use whatever servers the third party wishes to use and XBL/PSN will just authenticate.

This is so cool! I'm a PS4 owner, but just knowing that in the future I could be playing against XB1 users in Rocket League, DC Universe Online, Destiny, whatever... that is HUGE!!!

Can you imagine a future where Rocket League holds a PS4 vs. XB1 tournament? Awesome work, MS!

WadeitOut

Yeah you definitely appear to not understand. I'm talking about third party games going forward period.

If the developer is okay with cross platform play, and Microsoft is okay with it, then there is only one other party acting as a hurdle in this equation. It's not rocket science.

NoKisum

Sorry to sound so redundant, but is this exactly what it sounds like? Multiplatform multiplayer? I know it sucks that I have to ask, but I want direct confirmation before I get my hopes up.

Top Bottom