• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation announced for tomorrow

It was saved for the 3DS & the Wii U to provide two then-new systems with some compelling titles establish themselves on both platforms early on. While this went well for both, Capcom's gamble was more of a success on the 3DS since it was obviously doing better than the Wii U. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried something similar with the NX Platform to jump-start the Monster Hunter hype early on in the NX Platform's life.

Seems like a lock

They have held their games TWICE now based on what Nintendo is doing

Its compelling precedent to argue that MHX is NX bound

JoeM86

Until Summer? So no Zelda U then because it's most likely a Fall/Winter release, because knowing Nintendo that game isn't going to be formally announced until E3. Which is a huge mistake and by doing so would be telling their audience that they have nothing better to show off.

I'm excited to hear about Cloud, Bayonetta, and Corrin Amiibo release dates though so I can complete my collection. :/

And there is still Monster Hunter X that might or might not get a ultimate edition with an American release.

I'm not expecting much, but I hope they show off a good or two to at least get me hyped to their E3 digital event.

Do note that Nintendo always say the Directs focus on a certain time period, but they always have stuff from beyond that.

Neoxon

I dunno

Maybe the departments and marketing aren't so closely linked. Nintendo doesnt OWN gamefreak do they?

I mean his leak ONLY had the Codename
Yes, but Trev's source knew that a Pokémon game (or set of games) was coming to the 3DS with no mention of the NX Platform. If he knew about a cross-gen Zelda U, he would have been told about Sun/Moon being cross-gen as well. On top of that, we all know how Game Freak likes to stay on older platforms until the very end. So, to quote Joe...
Sun & Moon isn't a cross gen release. It'd be on NX or 3DS, not both. It's just on 3DS. Deal with it.

Monster Hunter X pls

Also lol at people who really think Zelda U won't be releasing on Wii U. That would be a huge slap in the face to their Wii U player base (not a SINGLE original Zelda? Nah). Cross gen is possible if NX is even a home console, but they won't cancel Zelda U for Wii U.

Yes, but Trev's source knew that a Pokémon game (or set of games) was coming to the 3DS with no mention of the NX Platform. If he knew about a cross-gen Zelda U, he would have been told about Sun/Moon being cross-gen as well. On top of that, we all know how Game Freak likes to stay on older platforms until the very end. So, to quote Joe...

yeah but didnt persistent backwards compatability contribute to those decisions a bit?

Less risk but you also ensure your game can be bought by the new audience

Are they really just gonna put it on 3DS in WINTER 2016?

Ill just say this. Software isolation is going against the philosophy set by the company going forward

I have no evidence so suggest that Sun/Moon will be cross gen but I still think im on the right track here

JoeM86

yeah but didnt persistent backwards compatability contribute to those decisions a bit?

Yes. They are.

It's confirmed to be 3DS. Accept it and move on.

Neoxon

Monster Hunter X pls

Also lol at people who really think Zelda U won't be releasing on Wii U. That would be a huge slap in the case to their Wii U player base (not a SINGLE original Zelda? Nah). Cross gen is possible if NX is even a home console, but they won't cancel Zelda U for Wii U.
Zelda U was already leaked as a Wii U/NX cross-gen release. The Wii U release is still coming.

Looking forward to the official Danny DeVito announcement for Detective Pikachu
Not sure if sarcasm. If not, Nintendo isn't exactly known for spending a lot on voice actors. If they aren't willing to hire unionized VAs like Troy Baker & Steve Blum (Kid Icarus Uprising aside; & even then, all of the unionized VAs were recast in Smash 4 for non-union actors), I doubt that Nintendo would hire Danny DeVito.

The_Lump

Banned
There's quite a few 3DS games still to come after summer.

SMTIV Final, Etrian Odyssey V, Phoenix Wright VI, Monster Hunter X, Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 all have a reasonable chance of a future western release, and I imagine DQIII will be the big 3DS winter game in NA/EU too.

Nintendo's portables have never just stopped having games released because a successor is out.

Yeah I'm fully aware that isn't the reality. That's my best case scenario. As in I would like them to drop both platforms after September and goes ape-sh*t for NX & NX Handheld (if they are even a thing).

Please show something of the new Zelda besides Link riding his horse through a grassy field. I'm not asking for a whole lot, just...something more than that.

Brofield

This is where the hype train falls off its tracks, and explodes into a ball of glorious fire.

I got a bad feeling about this one. Stronger NDAs that were causing a leakier ship, this Direct feels almost as if their hand was forced. I hope I'm wrong all the same, but my usual feelings of hype for this aren't here.

Ill just say this. Software isolation is going against the philosophy set by the company going forward

I have no evidence so suggest that Sun/Moon will be cross gen but I still think im on the right track here
Black and White 2 came out well into 3DS' lifecycle.

imBask

Banned
Monster Hunter X pls

Also lol at people who really think Zelda U won't be releasing on Wii U. That would be a huge slap in the face to their Wii U player base (not a SINGLE original Zelda? Nah). Cross gen is possible if NX is even a home console, but they won't cancel Zelda U for Wii U.

I think it's coming out on both, but I would prefer it to be NX only. They need the NX to have a great launch lineup, and an exclusive Zelda would be a great selling point

i'd rather have them drop EVERYTHING on the WiiU and move everything to as NX exclusives

Neoxon

Maybe, but it was the fact that the DS had a massive install base that Game Freak was comfy with that likely helped in their decision to keep Black/White on the DS. The fact that 3DS had DS BC was likely a safety net for their decision. That's not even mentioning the fact that B2/W2 came out well into the 3DS's life. As per usual, Game Freak will likely take their sweet time with adopting the NX Platform for development. If they don't do a Gen 7 sequel game, maybe we'll get Gen 8 in 2018 with a Gen 4 remake in 2019.

Not sure if sarcasm. If not, Nintendo isn't exactly known for spending a lot on voice actors. If they aren't willing to hire unionized VAs like Troy Baker & Steve Blum (Kid Icarus Uprising aside; & even then, all of the unionized VAs were recast in Smash 4 for non-union actors), I doubt that Nintendo would hire Danny DeVito.

You really like harping on this union/non union thing.

DNAbro

I'm still confused why so many people want games to come out for a console they currently don't own. What if the NX sucks?

emb

Is it weird I feel like Mother 3 could potentially be announced?

There's been a lot of buzz around the Mother series recently.
I don't think that's weird at all. There's been smoke, there'll probably be fire; lots of rumors a bit ago. It also just got a VC release in Japan (or at least announced for it) a few months ago, and we just got (over the last couple years) the other two Earthbound games on VC in NA. It's just a matter of when.

georly

Do note that Nintendo always say the Directs focus on a certain time period, but they always have stuff from beyond that.

What did the november direct have that wasn't out through april? Other than stuff that was delayed.

Dragon quest 8/7? Those aren't even nintendo developed titles. At best we can expect 3rd party games coming past summer, but not much else.

JoeM86

Nope

Im sticking by my prediction

They arent going to miss the NX train unless its actually BC

See you at the next pokemon direct

The NX release this year is home console. It is NOT a hybrid, we know that much.

Pokémon is a portable game.

3DS is Nintendo's portable this year.

Ergo, Pokémon is on 3DS.

Neoxon

You really like harping on this union/non union thing.
I recall Palutena's VA being non-union, but she didn't come back to voice Palutena in Smash 4 due to scheduling conflicts (I believe this was confirmed on her Twitter account). Looking through the voice casts of recent Nintendo games since the release of Kid Icarus Uprising, none of them since then used unionized VAs. And again, it's awfully convenient that all of the unionized voice actors (namely Phosphora & Magnus) were recast for non-union VAs. In fact, to my knowledge, the only unionized VA in Smash 4 was Roger Craig Smith (Sonic), who had his lines recycled from Generations.

This is where the hype train falls off its tracks, and explodes into a ball of glorious fire.

I got a bad feeling about this one. Stronger NDAs that were causing a leakier ship, this Direct feels almost as if their hand was forced. I hope I'm wrong all the same, but my usual feelings of hype for this aren't here.

I doubt it. A direct isn't something they just throw together in a few days, it's probably been planned and in development for quite a while.

JordanKZ

The NX release this year is home console. It is NOT a hybrid, we know that much.

Ergo, Pokémon is on 3DS.

*saves post*
See you in December.

;)

For the record, you're probably not far off. But at the same time, completely ruling out some kind of secondary version is a little daft. Nintendo need to push NX hard, real hard and we still don't know for certain, what it is.

Ergo, Pokémon is on 3DS.

If they put Sun/Moon on NX portable in 2017 id still be right

And we dont know what the NX release setup for the SKU's will be outside of the leak suggesting we get the console first

rokero

thank god for a new direct the drought was killing me I hope we get a new zelda wiiu trailer then in e3 they can show a zelda nx trailer, also looking forward to metroid federation force

I recall Palutena's VA being non-union, but she didn't come back to voice Palutena in Smash 4 due to scheduling conflicts (I believe this was confirmed on her Twitter account). Looking through the voice casts of recent Nintendo games since the release of Kid Icarus Uprising, none of them since then used unionized VAs. And again, it's awfully convenient that all of the unionized voice actors (namely Phosphora & Magnus) were recast for non-union VAs. In fact, to my knowledge, the only unionized VA in Smash 4 was Roger Craig Smith (Sonic), who had his lines recycled from Generations.
Don't forget how Nintendo didn't even contact Steve Burton to voice Cloud, they just left in the JP VA for all regions

Akhe

Shit, my body isn't ready yet!!!!

CJfu35j.gif

Top Bottom