• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct: new presentation announced for tomorrow

Neoxon

The NX release this year is home console. It is NOT a hybrid, we know that much.

Pokémon is a portable game.

3DS is Nintendo's portable this year.

Ergo, Pokémon is on 3DS.
I kinda agree there. Given Trev's leak, all signs point to the NX Console being out the door first (at least in North America). Though you may want to account for the possibility of the NX Handheld coming out first in Japan to take advantage of the fact that said market prefers handhelds.

Them going out of their way to say NO NX info

The president saying NO NX talk till after the Fiscal year

And the drop of "These are the planned games until Summer"

One could only conclude NX is E3 bound

They wouldn't be giving information about Nx but the date in which information will be given.

hupla

The Pokémon Direct already confirmed Sun/Moon are 3DS.

For compatibility reasons, they're not going to cross gen it. It'd be one or the other. End of.
I mean you also have literally been on record saying how they wouldn't start a new generation and we wouldn't get new pokemon that aren't the zygrade forms so

L95

How exciting.

I have no real expectations though. (Strangely, I'm not actually that excited....) I'll be watching, of course.

Ganondolf

Seems like the clean up direct. Give release dates to all the games already announced for the first half of the year leaving the next direct to be all about the NX (and possible Zelda wii u)

JoeM86

I mean you also have literally been on record saying how they wouldn't start a new generation and we wouldn't get new pokemon that aren't the zygrade forms so

I said it wouldn't make sense for them to do so.

I still stand by that. It doesn't make sense.

There's a difference between that and cross gen games which have a HUGE multiplayer component. Game Freak would either make the jump or not, they wouldn't half do it.

spekkeh

Banned
Nintendo Direct: new presentation announced for tomorrow

Just announced via Twitter.

OMFG FINALLY HYPE GET!! WE'RE GOING

Will cover games coming up until this Summer. No update on mobile projects or NX platform

lcxyE0D.gif

Neoxon

Don't forget how Nintendo didn't even contact Steve Burton to voice Cloud, they just left in the JP VA for all regions
Assuming that Steve Burton is a unionized VA, it kinda supports my argument (unless his exclusion was due to something on Square Enix's end rather than Nintendo's).

emb

I'm still confused why so many people want games to come out for a console they currently don't own. What if the NX sucks?
'NX sucks' mainly implies that it doesn't have high quality games. So it's kinda, in a way this circular idea of, why do people want NX games? What if it doesn't have any games? There are other ways it could suck. I won't buy it if it's digital only or something. People operate on the assumption that it will be a reasonable system.

Anyway, while no one has the system yet, I think most of the people wanting games to go to it are already committed to owning one. They don't own it, but they might as well.

Me personally, I like the idea of higher profile new games going to the new system. A, because it gives me a cooler reason for a shiny new toy, and B because it makes it that much more likely for the new system to get a strong start and have support over its lifecycle.

dickroach

Is it weird I feel like Mother 3 could potentially be announced?

wasn't there a handful of people 'in the know' hinting at it a few weeks ago, saying the localization was pretty much done?
I think it finally might be happening.

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAH
MORE INFO ON METROID FEDERATION FORCE PLZ!
LOL. I mean, there's gotta be more information on it coming, but I refuse to believe anyone's that excited about it

Megatron

yeah but didnt persistent backwards compatability contribute to those decisions a bit?

Less risk but you also ensure your game can be bought by the new audience

Are they really just gonna put it on 3DS in WINTER 2016?

Ill just say this. Software isolation is going against the philosophy set by the company going forward

I have no evidence so suggest that Sun/Moon will be cross gen but I still think im on the right track here

You may well be on the right track, but consider this: we don't actually know what the NX is or when it's releasing. Our expectation is that it is two separate systems that will share some of it's games but not all. Given that, it seems incredibly unlikely the handheld and console would launch at the same time. They would canabalize sales from each other. I think you can expect them to be 8-12 months apart. Given that, it seems like the console will release first, so if Pokemon releases this year, it has to be on 3 DS, but possibly there will be a handheld NX version at the launch of that system next year.

This could be exciting. I imagine we'll see a few small surprises -- nothing big....My expectations are tempered.

on Pokemon Sun/Moon being on 3DS? I wouldn't be surprised if "Pokemon Z" is the X/Y universal version on NX.

Neoxon

To be fair to Joe, we just went with the evidence we had at the time & what has occurred in the past. And again, hindsight is 20/20. As much as I want it to be true, there's still quite a few things that don't add up with the whole 3DS/NX cross-gen theory.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Exciting times.

Being on a Thursday means we're in for a potential "Oh hey this available on the eShop NOW" announcement.

JoeM86

This could be exciting. I imagine we'll see a few small surprises -- nothing big....My expectations are tempered.

on Pokemon Sun/Moon being on 3DS? I wouldn't be surprised if "Pokemon Z" is the X/Y universal version on NX.

I don't think you understand how Pokémon works if you think Z would be like that :p

Neoxon

Which makes even less sense. Why launch the older generation on newer hardware & the newer generation on older hardware?

hupla

I said it wouldn't make sense for them to do so.

I still stand by that. It doesn't make sense.

There's a difference between that and cross gen games which have a HUGE multiplayer component. Game Freak would either make the jump or not, they wouldn't half do it.
Like I also don't think it will cross gen but maybe you don't have to post so definitively and stifle disscusion when things can change and no one knows what can happen

RK128

This is a nice surprise :D!

So we will be hearing some of those code-named 3DS games get officially announced, release date clarifications for a few games (Star Fox Zero, EU releases of DQVII & FE Fates) and hopefully some teasers at the end for Zelda U.

Paper Mario might be saved for E3 as appeasement announcement "No, we are still supporting the Wii U! We h-h-have THIS! Paper Mario Adventure! Wait.....its isn't like TTYD?!? Um......... (Nintendo rep runs off stages)"

I really wonder if they will officially announce N-Stars tomorrow, as if that is an amiibo focused game, announcing it now vs. E3 might be a decent idea.

You may well be on the right track, but consider this: we don't actually know what the NX is or when it's releasing. Our expectation is that it is two separate systems that will share some of it's games but not all. Given that, it seems incredibly unlikely the handheld and console would launch at the same time. They would canabalize sales from each other. I think you can expect them to be 8-12 months apart. Given that, it seems like the console will release first, so if Pokemon releases this year, it has to be on 3 DS, but possibly there will be a handheld NX version at the launch of that system next year.

I dont get this

Separating them by that margin would work against the selling point. Cannibalize sales? It would promote cross buy bundles and cross play setups

Neoxon

An 8-12 month gap seems to be a bit on the overkill side. At most, I'd expect a 3-5 month gap.

Oh god, omg, this is it, isn't it? NX
There will be no news for the NX Platform or mobile in this Direct.

Sun & Moon isn't a cross gen release. It'd be on NX or 3DS, not both. It's just on 3DS. Deal with it.
If, this time last week, someone had said to you that they were revealing the new generation at the end of the week, you'd have scoffed and told them that it was going to be Z, so deal with it.

I'm not saying it's likely, but being this dogmatic about certainties that we simply don't know is daft.
Why did they separate the Pokemon one and this one?
The Pokémon one was specifically timed for midnight of the 20th anniversary.

Do some people here really think that a Nintendo Direct in March would be appropriate for revealing the NX?

That's the kind of stuff best saved for E3 folks.

JoeM86

Like I also don't think it will cross gen but maybe you don't have to post so definitively and stifle disscusion when things can change and no one knows what can happen

There's throwing a curveball like they did last week, and then there's segmenting your userbase like being suggested here.

NeonZ

The Pokémon Direct already confirmed Sun/Moon are 3DS.

For compatibility reasons, they're not going to cross gen it. It'd be one or the other. End of.

There are no compatibility issues with wireless communication. Pokemon isn't even a real time game. They could easily make ports that can still battle or exchange Pokemon with each other.

However, I don't think a portable NX release of Sun/Moon will happen, considering Gamefreak's track record and also Nintendo's seemingly lack of interference in their decisions, but the above isn't the reason we won't get a dual release. In fact, I could see the next set of games in the same generation already being NX exclusive.

I don't think you understand how Pokémon works if you think Z would be like that :p

Oh I understand perfectly how Pokemon works. And I know it makes -no- sense on the surface.

It's simply a gut feeling I have. "Hey, we launched the NX with this new Pokemon game!" would be a great launch point.

Y'know, just like those oft requested "NX" launch editions of Smash and MK8.

L95

Oh yeah... I forgot about that Paper Mario WiiU leak/rumor? I don't have high hopes, myself....

Neoxon

Oh I understand perfectly how Pokemon works. And I know it makes -no- sense on the surface.

It's simply a gut feeling I have. "Hey, we launched the NX with this new Pokemon game!" would be a great launch point.

Y'know, just like those oft requested "NX" launch editions of Smash and MK8.
Given that DLC support for MK8 ended early last year, Nintendo may instead opt to get Mario Kart 9 out ASAP rather than port 8.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY HOPE IT'S YO-KAI WATCH 2 for America!

Everything with Yo-kai Watch recently has been aligning to the sequel as of late.

DNAbro

'NX sucks' mainly implies that it doesn't have high quality games. So it's kinda, in a way this circular idea of, why do people want NX games? What if it doesn't have any games? There are other ways it could suck. I won't buy it if it's digital only or something. People operate on the assumption that it will be a reasonable system.

Anyway, while no one has the system yet, I think most of the people wanting games to go to it are already committed to owning one. They don't own it, but they might as well.

Me personally, I like the idea of higher profile new games going to the new system. A, because it gives me a cooler reason for a shiny new toy, and B because it makes it that much more likely for the new system to get a strong start and have support over its lifecycle.

Just seems kind of silly to me. I'm not invested enough in Nintendo to immediately be on board with whatever they put out. Seems like some people here genuinely want the Wii U zelda to be cancelled in order for the NX to be a stronger console which is just ridiculous. I care about the ability to play cool games Nintendo has announced, not trying to build up a console that I haven't even seen yet.

JCH!

Considering Twilight Princess HD releases the following day, I expect at least half of the Direct to be dedicated to it, which is unfortunate :(

Still... CHOO CHOO!

spekkeh

Banned
NX stuff won't be until E3 at the earliest.

Yeah could be, could be, though they might start dropping hints before the lowdown. You'd think they would be aiming for as little confusion as possible during the reveal as opposed to last time (is it a new console? just an input method? things like these are better cleared up beforehand. Right now Nintendo still calls it a platform but nothing more) . But then it's still Nintendo so who knows.

But I would also be incredibly hyped for mobile or Zelda news. This is literally the mop up Direct. Stuff they have to get over with before the fun stuff. So that's also the feeling I'm approaching the Direct with.

Didn't the latest rumor state the meeting deciding whether or not to report the game will take place on friday?

Yes it did. So if we get confirmation that Star Fox is still on target can we finally stop posting rumors from Tamaki/Liam? Like pretty please. That guy is a hack.

Top Bottom