• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Politco: White House rattled by McCarthy's spoof of Spicer

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's been a lot of talk lately about how risiliant American institutions are to resisting authoritarianism. This talk usually revolves around congress, federal judges... mostly political checks and balances.

But I think one all-American check on power might be the world of popular entertainment. Seeing SNL land such a scathing blow to power this weekend makes me realize this is a far more resistant-to-control country than the likes of Putin's Russia.

There's no way authoritarianism comes to town without pop culture kicking and screaming and entertaining us along the way. This is motherfucking America.
Yeah. The pop culture reaction robs them of what they desperately desire: legitimacy.

They can somewhat count on serious media and institutions to attempt to toe the lines of civility and netrality, to the benefit of their schemes -- but there nothing holding back popular media. While you have news organizations watching their words and saying things like 'appeared to call the judge's ruling outrageous', popular media will not hold back.

It's also a good barometer on how the public feels. Perhaps I'm stuck in the same pre-election bubble, but it seems like the pushback against anti-Trump media is far less than if anything half as scathing were tossed at George W., even at his lowest approval ratings.

I think it's also a sign that people are starting to recover from the shock of the election and are energizing to fight back against Trump and company.

liquidtmd

Banned
It's depressingly funny that we're tossing around ideas to troll the leader of the free world and most of them are virtually guaranteed to get Twitter replies from him.

Imagine if Obama was so thin skinned and devoted time to all this Twitter shit during the first month of his term. Lawwwd.

Steel

Banned
Didn't even think that skit was all that funny(it was perfectly accurate, though), but if it drives Trump up a fence, it's fine by me.

rec0ded1

It's depressingly funny that we're tossing around ideas to troll the leader of the free world and most of them are virtually guaranteed to get Twitter replies from him.

Imagine if Obama was so thin skinned and devoted time to all this Twitter shit during the first month of his term. Lawwwd.

"Make trolling for the lulz again"

Dilbert Scott Adams is tweeting about how he predicted this "impressive gambit" from the "opposition" and how it may actually succeed.

The obvious question is : if such a childish trick can cause a presidential meltdown and internal dissent and falling out then Isn't it actually an honorable activity ?

(Scott Adams switched his vote to trump last year the last reason he has left is "I hate estate taxes" http://blog.dilbert.com/post/150919416661/why-i-switched-my-endorsement-from-clinton-to )

Putin doesn't mind a little spoof on SNL. He doesn't fly off the handle. He only calls out FOX with quiet menace.

That's what the cool authoritarians do.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I definitely think as an impression it went beyond his personality and traits in such a way that you can see it sticking in peoples minds more than the real Spicer does himself, which is where I can imagine it becomes a problem for Trump & co.

Similar with Bannon just being the grim reaper, it does a better job at getting it's point across and forming an opinion in the audience's minds than Baldwins bang-on Trump impression.

That said I didn't actually think either sketch was that funny outside of 'ha I bet Trump is fuming', SNL runs the risk of falling into his orbit, centering what they do on the guy they hate rather than just being funny, which is really exactly what he wants.

Similar with Bannon just being the grim reaper, it does a better job at getting it's point across and forming an opinion in the audience's minds than Baldwins bang-on Trump impression.

Didn't Bannon compare himself to vader / satan? Portraying him as a grim reaper or something like that only empowers him. He needs to be shown as a weak and pathetic.

Saya

At the next presidential briefing:

"Oh, Mr. President, there's one more thing..."

"What is it?"

"There are rumours Rosie O'Donnell might portray Steve on SNL."

"Prepare the nukes."

UberTag

That's amazing. They need to find a woman to play Donald Trump, too. He would crack up.
5tM8hYJThe1l.jpg

Didn't Bannon compare himself to vader / satan? Portraying him as a grim reaper or something like that only empowers him. He needs to be shown as a weak and pathetic.
This. We're talking about a party what was conned into fetishising Putin just to make Obama look weak (although they probably regret it now).

Now, the real question is whether they make Bannon look weak or make it look like he controls Trump, like the organ-grinder to Trump's monkey. I don't know if Trump's ego could take that.

Might I remind everyone that Politico is a garbage-heap, unverifiable rumor mill that blows "anonymous sources" up for a story whenever possible.

mclem

It's either some WH aide. Or Conway herself is leaking this shit. It's gotta be someone with top access to him.

I reckon Conway's locked in an NBC vault somewhere, and it's been Kate McKinnon since the election, causing maximum embarrassment and leaking as much as possible.

Now, the real question is whether they make Bannon look weak or make it look like he controls Trump, like the organ-grinder to Trump's monkey. I don't know if Trump's ego could take that.

Why not both?

I could see something like Bannon is in cafeteria and couple of middle-eastern looking fellows cut in line in front of him and he just grumbles and is afraid to say anything, then he goes to Trumps office bellowing how Trump needs to ban muslims. Then he jingles car keys in front of Trump distracting him while slipping a few EOs to Trump's desk to be signed by him.

Jobbs

Banned
That said I didn't actually think either sketch was that funny outside of 'ha I bet Trump is fuming', SNL runs the risk of falling into his orbit, centering what they do on the guy they hate rather than just being funny, which is really exactly what he wants.

The Spicer sketch was legit funny. The physical comedy when she started pushing the podium around was fantastic. Mccarthy is a talented performer.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

We would never hear the end of it from the gop

mclem

What if they did a digital short and had Rosie play Trump AND Bannon.

This week: Donald watches last week's Spicer routine and rants about it to Bannon.

Next week: Donald wakes up in a cold sweat, from last week's nightmare... and starts seeing *everyone* played by Rosie O'Donnell, ending with him seeing her as him in a mirror.

WinFonda

I don't think Baldwin is replaceable at this point as Donald, he's just too good, and for a single time with Rosie it's too on the nose. I do think Rosie should be worked in somewhere. One of his daughters would be great. Having Baldwin's Trump behaving inappropriately towards Rosie's Ivanka would be pretty amazing.

Or maybe cast Rosie as Melania, which could have that meta factor since he seems to show more affection towards Ivanka than his wife. Have they spoofed her yet?

ISOM

This. We're talking about a party what was conned into fetishising Putin just to make Obama look weak (although they probably regret it now).

They need to make it the dumb leading the dumb kind of thing. So Bannon pulling the strings but give him a stupid persona on top of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom