• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox One pushed back to 2014 in certain territories due to translation issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freki

Not a single company delays a product launch for undefined translation issues. They can pay a number of agencies within Europe to do the translations for them overnight.

Well to be fair - "translation issues" could relate to kinect voice recognition and this wouldn't be a problem you could fix overnight...
Or it's simpy supply constraints - hello "yield issues"...
Or it's simply bullshit... ^^

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not a single company delays a product launch for undefined translation issues. They can pay a number of agencies within Europe to do the translations for them overnight.

Can they pay any number of agencies to integrate them into the Xbox OS? Or translate voice recognition databases for kinect?

And anyway, as others have said, it may simply be a way of not admitting they don't have stock to launch everywhere. (Or they want to focus stock to other markets in the face of potentially larger Sony shipments)

I think most of us smell BS on that for sure, however, the question now becomes is this a dumb excuse for redistributing units because of supply issues.
The Benelux is practically Sonyland.

They already delay their Japanese launch, so that makes sense.

Could there be legal issues concerning Kinect?

Krakn3Dfx

I don't believe this for a second, but it wouldn't delay by XBO purchase regardless, since that won't be for at least a year.

220px-Lost_in_Translation_poster.jpg

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Well to be fair - "translation issues" could relate to kinect voice recognition and this wouldn't be a problem you could fix overnight...

Currently none of the dashboard voice functions work on Belgian Kinects. They work when your console is offline and you're not signed in to your Belgian account, but as soon as you're on Xbox Live the Kinect ceases to listen to your voice. According to a Microsoft employee they don't want anyone getting frustrated when the system doesn't understand their accented English. It does work in games like Mass Effect 3, but saying Xbox Whatever on the dashboard doesn't do anything.

Tagged it as a rumor, here are some important points.

- Rumors that Xbox One launch is pushed back to 2014 started popping up
- CVG Editor says they are not true and that the UK launch is still in november
- Belgian website has confirmation from (retail) source that the release is indeed pushed back to 2014 (for Belgium at least, but also Holland and Scandinavian countries are named)
- Delay is probably the result of translation issues for these specific countries

Source: http://xbox-one.4gamers.be/nieuws/28964/1/Xbox-One-niet-in-Belgi-voor-2014

Google translate (beware for mistranslation etc.) http://translate.google.be/translat...1/Xbox-One-niet-in-Belgi-voor-2014&authuser=0

Wow.
After the 180 turn I was gonna buy both, but if this is true....no Xboxone for me.

ethomaz

Banned
The 21 countries supported by Xbone at launch...

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.

If the rumors are true then you have to remove Belgium and Netherlands (19)... the old rumor talked about 13... so 6 countries have to be out yet.

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.

If the rumors are true then you have to remove Belgium and Netherlands (19)... the old rumor talked about 13... so 6 countries have to be out yet.

The rumor in this thread also mentions Scandinavia as tier 2 countries, so that's 4 more countries off that list.

Skeff

Not for natural language processing for Kinect they can't. Dashboard, yea someone could whip that up in a few hours.

Or it's simpy supply constraints - hello "yield issues"...
Or it's simply bullshit... ^^

Never thought about kinect voice recognition needing translation as well, thats an interesting point

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Did the 13 countries rumour state which countries? For that list my guess would be
- Belgium, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands

That leaves two. Austria maybe but if you're releasing in Germany you might as well ship to Austria too. Australia/new Zealand?

JABEE

Doesn't almost everyone in the world speak English by now?

There are a lot of countries that have import laws about products using the national language of the country a product is entering. I'm not sure if that only applies to food products.

Just from a Marketing standpoint, Microsoft wouldn't ship a product in a country with non-native languages available. I don't know how true this rumor is, which appears to be from a reputable source.

bronzeP

Banned
Did the 13 countries rumour state which countries? For that list my guess would be
- Belgium, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands

That leaves two. Austria maybe but if you're releasing in Germany you might as well ship to Austria too. Australia/new Zealand?

no way X1 will be delayed in Austria.

Hindle

Banned
I'm thinking UK, Germany, France, will be the European markets that get the console this year if this rumour is true.

Kinyou

Well at least you could import a console. Had MS kept their policies those countries would have been completely left out.

maximrace

Xbox Belgium is relly good in fucking things up. No kinect voice here, took ages to have the dash in Dutch, most marketplace games are only in French while the majority here speaks Dutch etc...

Wouldn't this make sense? This is likely only an issue with smaller, native-speaking countries where Microsoft would need to make Kinect/OS usable in their languages. I don't think this delay is for all of Europe, but rather for countries that aren't Germany/Spain/France/England.

Danielsan

Translation issues? Give me a call Microsoft. I'll gladly help you out with the translations for the Dutch speaking territories.

Obviously nonsense. I also highly doubt they would pass on central Europe this year.

johnny956

Didn't cboat mention something along these lines, clearly they are refuting it in that tweet that was just posted but curious to see what will happen

"You'd think a worldwide company like Microsoft wouldn't have issues with translating being the thing that holds them back" is the first thing you should think when you hear a rumor like this.
This is basically what I was thinking.

They could afford to have an entire school of linguistics experts on payroll at all times.

airborn

The current dashboard has a dreadful mix of Dutch and English even when your system language is set to English. The Fable 3 free download was the French version with no option to download an English version besides a crummy language pack that nixed all voice acting and people have been getting French ads on the dashboard for years. In summary, translation issues could very well be the cause of a delay as their current infrastructure still has a hard time differentiating between Dutch users and French speaking users for whatever reason.
Belgium is considered a French country according to Microsoft. It took them four months and four French copies to finally replace my scratched Halo 3 disc.

If you really want the Xbox One, buy it off Amazon. Delay or no delay, you'll get it two days after the EU launch.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox Belgium is relly good in fucking things up. No kinect voice here, took ages to have the dash in Dutch, most marketplace games are only in French while the majority here speaks Dutch etc...

The Belgian branch of Microsoft is fully aware of all those issues, but for some reason they are powerless to actually change any of it. The main company sees those complaints as very low priority and as such they've been addressed haphazardly or not at all in some cases. It's frustrating and I hope they finally iron this stuff out next gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom