• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (Vita) Demo impressions

Lucent

Thankfully Cerberus gives 50 lacrima so it pays itself off :)

I really wish that there was a minimum timer for Cerberus to stay down. It's so frustrating when he's at Orange HP, yet gets up -instantly- upon knockdown. What do you even do at that point..

Does anybody know if the charge-up attacks do more damage, or are they solely for knockdown? I've assumed they do more damage, but maybe I should just be wailing on him with the basic attack instead..

You would think the charge ups are more powerful because they instantly make the spell vanish after. But I don't know.

Also I finally got lucky and beat Cerberus in a group of 4. Was so close. Everyone got sacrificed but me so I was left to finish him. I used my black rite and almost killed him but still had to hit him quite a bit to finally finish him. I think I used a stone axe charge to finish him and I had broken at least 3 attacks. lol. Made a plant golem in the end.

Fighting Cerberus online is pretty frustrating when only every other group I'm in knows what they are doing. Last time we had a guy in our group that refused to use his black rite while Cerberus was already red and all of us were desperately trying to stay alive and get a hit in here and there with whatever offering we had left. In the end we died. Meh. :I

Lucent

Fighting Cerberus online is pretty frustrating when only every other group I'm in knows what they are doing. Last time we had a guy in our group that refused to use his black rite while Cerberus was already red and all of us were desperately trying to stay alive and get a hit in here and there with whatever offering we had left. In the end we died. Meh. :I

Pretty much. I fought him at least 3 times with the same group and only beat him once.

Ive actually gotten more sands of time from sacrificing/being sacrificed than i have from getting a perfect score. Food for thought.... sacrifice those turds :D

Yeah when my group one I was the only one left standing after sacrificing them all. Took almost 18 minutes and still got a sands of time.

How many stone weapons in the demo? I have the axe and the fist, and those are very close range offerings. Makes it a bit tough not to get slapped by Cerberus at least once or twice. I wonder how much easier he would be if the entire party at least had stone axe. I never really know what to bring for him because of my lack of stone weapons.

I keep thinking I've seen all the offerings the demo has to available and then I get something new. Last night I got a volt axe, and a plant sword(which is pretty cool).

I'm thinking they purposely gave a lack of stone offerings in the demo so when you get the full game, you can absolutely slay him by cornering with the demo exclusive stone golem.

Shoyz

It's frustrating how easy it is to get hit when you're standing -behind- him. Funnily enough I've found it a lot easier just to hit him in the face and roll away just before he attacks.

Grinchy

Banned
Someone please give me tactics on how to beat that woman? Can't do it! I suck at this game!

I learned that I needed to stop trying to play tactically against her. Just run up and spam shit. I don't really like that fight at all compared to the other boss fights in the demo.

Reading the boss stories. They're totally berserk apostles lol. I wonder what is that chalice thing mentioned in the story. Remind me of behelit from berserk.

Cha

Something doesn't add up.
If you play the story chapters and choose to be sacrificed, then you die and become a spirit. But you appear in the next chapter alive and kickin'. Now, when you sacrifice Sortiara, she dies and stays dead. What stops her from coming back? Am I missing something here?

Or do I just have to wait for the full game to get the answer to that?

Reading the boss stories. They're totally berserk apostles lol. I wonder what is that chalice thing mentioned in the story. Remind me of behelit from berserk.

Grail1939.jpg

The Holy Grail? Doesn't seem out of the question since this game has characters from the King Arthur myth (in the Japanese version at least).

Yopis

This is soooo good online with a good group of people. Really didn't know what to think going in. Never played Monster Hunter or God Eater. Might have to try those games in the future. Really great game hope It does well.

Something doesn't add up.
If you play the story chapters and choose to be sacrificed, then you die and become a spirit. But you appear in the next chapter alive and kickin'. Now, when you sacrifice Sortiara, she dies and stays dead. What stops her from coming back? Am I missing something here?

Or do I just have to wait for the full game to get the answer to that?

This is just from the demo but it seems

You are basically re-experiencing Magusar's memory of the events that unfolded but the book allows you the player to do anything you want in the confines of that memory so the reason you appear again is because in the other memories he's still alive (he wrote the book after all).

Sortiara remains dead because she actually is dead in his memory

Although the full game could do anything about that.

Azull

It's frustrating how easy it is to get hit when you're standing -behind- him. Funnily enough I've found it a lot easier just to hit him in the face and roll away just before he attacks.

This doesn't make any sense to me. You would think you would be safe attacking from behind. Actually makes melee semi-useless.

This doesn't make any sense to me. You would think you would be safe attacking from behind. Actually makes melee semi-useless.

I actually find ranged useless, its just a preference, you trade off a little extra damage for safety.

If you watch his attacks they do over arc so they could "technically" hit you. If you could just wale on him from behind he would be far too easy IMO.

Azull

I actually find ranged useless, its just a preference, you trade off a little extra damage for safety.

If you watch his attacks they do over arc so they could "technically" hit you. If you could just wale on him from behind he would be far too easy IMO.

I think with melee it's almost necessary to have shield so you can actually get some proper hits or even a charged hit on him. He either moves around too much or hits you while you're behind him. Not many chances to do anything.

Just finished up 2 great online games vs. Cerberus. On the first game someone was downed and either quit or lost connection, but the rest of us survived to the finish.On the second game only 1 person got sacrificed. In one the games we actually broke all his cursed parts. Cerberus was the only one I hadn't done that to.

A good tactic against him is for at least 1 to always be rushing him with the morph ball. They have a chance to interrupt his attacks.

cyborg009

Banned
This is just from the demo but it seems

You are basically re-experiencing Magusar's memory of the events that unfolded but the book allows you the player to do anything you want in the confines of that memory so the reason you appear again is because in the other memories he's still alive (he wrote the book after all).

Sortiara remains dead because she actually is dead in his memory

Although the full game could do anything about that.

Well its a unnamed sorcerer who meet Merlin/Magusar

I think with melee it's almost necessary to have shield so you can actually get some proper hits or even a charged hit on him. He either moves around too much or hits you while you're behind him. Not many chances to do anything.

A shields necessary if you wan't to knock him down but theres a lot of openings for damage. It wont be a constant stream like ranged but its possible:

His 2 swipe swing leaves him open to 2 attacks after finishing
His jump leaves him open for a fully charged fist attack
His roar leaves him open for any full charge attack
His lightning pulse attack can be interrupted with a charge attack
His lightning (spear) attack can also be interrupted with a charge attack

Its all about a style of play. Melee and ranged are both viable but Melee is the higher damage dealer but it has a higher risk with it.

SharkJAW

My current setup for soloing Cerberus: stone axe edge, grave clod, ice rose thorn, tree fiend entrails, ice carving lid, and soldiers ember. All of them are 3 stars. The setups pretty viable. With no NPCs, the annihilator sigil, and 1/19, I handle him in under 6 minutes. The key to killing him after his stun becomes negligible is to spam the stone axe on him (he's open to around 3 attacks after just about every attack) until he's petrified, then summon the venom golem for a skillful attack and continue attacking him with either of your stone attacks. If you're not entirely comfortable with going in for melee, use the fire boulder attack. It deals a good chunk of damage while protecting you from direct attack. Also, be sure to start the fight by summoning your golem while he's transforming from his sloppy ink form.

My current setup for soloing Cerberus: stone axe edge, grave clod, ice rose thorn, tree fiend entrails, ice carving lid, and soldiers ember. All of them are 3 stars. The setups pretty viable. With no NPCs, the annihilator sigil, and 1/19, I handle him in under 6 minutes. The key to killing him after his stun becomes negligible is to spam the stone axe on him (he's open to around 3 attacks after just about every attack) until he's petrified, then summon the venom golem for a skillful attack and continue attacking him with either of your stone attacks. If you're not entirely comfortable with going in for melee, use the fire boulder attack. It deals a good chunk of damage while protecting you from direct attack. Also, be sure to start the fight by summoning your golem while he's transforming from his sloppy ink form.
arigato will try this tonight...

Number45

I've just spent some of the evening reading the lore in the demo. It really is fantastic.

Is it completely rewritten from the Japanese version, or have they just changed some of the characters and names?

cyborg009

Banned
Because it would sell a lot better if it wasn't. Games as unique as this don't come around too often.

Your better off worrying about Sony actually doing another game of this.

oops.

I forgot she/he meets Merlin/Magusar in the beginning with that monster fight

They also have a guide book which showed how crazy
Which showed how crazy your arm got. I can post it if you want.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
If this game has people wanting it to be on other systems, it's EXACTLY the right game to be an exclusive.

Correct.

Such an amazing game too. I cant get over how well they condensed the gameplay while still keeping tons of stuff to do. Cant waaaaaait for the full version.

And yeah, I do consider this game a game buying the system for, if the demo is anything to go by in regard to the polish and content of the full version. But considering the console has SS and P4G as exclusives... thats a pretty great start already for someone to jump in.

jorgeton

Really loving this demo. When does the full version drop again? Beat Cerberus twice with two diff groups of randoms. It's annoying going into the fight and having someone die in the first 2 mins. Then everyone tries to revive them and Cerberus wipes them all out as well. hope the online community remains as active for the full release.

jgmo870

Banned
So, to the people who own the game, is the AI useful in most missions? Everything was fine and dandy until the Cerberus fight when they wouldn't move out of the way from his jumping then slamming attacks.

how long are missions later in the game? they can take up to 20 minutes with randoms currently if you have a group full of noobs.

game is fun. you will lose track of time.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
is there something I'm missing for online? when i try to connect i keep getting an error message, but my wifi signal is connected, and i can access wifi elsewhere on my vita.

also, I suck at this game.

should i be saving or sacrificing my allies

Top Bottom