• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the next Xbox is planned to be released in late 2026.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
From this known call of duty leaker

Season 2 Cooking GIF by PBS

Last edited:

NickFire

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 - what are you hearing on this?

I don't see why any sources worthy of trust would be saying its more than 2 years away. That's crazy talk in light of recent sales. Much better to say nothing if its that far out IMO.

I don't see why any sources worthy of trust would be saying its more than 2 years away. That's crazy talk in light of recent sales. Much better to say nothing if its that far out IMO.
It's not crazy actually. Xbox has collapsed, and they're going to jump into PS5 releases ASAP; possibly this holiday. That's all fine and good, but what they have to do for the existing base is lay out the plan for them. That plan is on PC where they can transition and get the games they're missing out on. I would assume they're going to talk about it publicly fairly soon (at least I would if I was them), because that's the only thing that would justify abandoning all exclusives. The handheld may come before that even.

NickFire

It's not crazy actually. Xbox has collapsed, and they're going to jump into PS5 releases ASAP; possibly this holiday. That's all fine and good, but what they have to do for the existing base is lay out the plan for them. That plan is on PC where they can transition and get the games they're missing out on. I would assume they're going to talk about it publicly fairly soon (at least I would if I was them), because that's the only thing that would justify abandoning all exclusives. The handheld may come before that even.
Maybe you're right. But don't manufacturers (including MS and Sony) usually hold off on releasing too much information about upcoming products until they don't feel existing products will slow down or stop selling since people will start waiting for the new product? That's the perspective I am coming from. 2.5 more years of the recent sales reports puts the next Xbox into "why bother" territory I think.

Maybe you're right. But don't manufacturers (including MS and Sony) usually hold off on releasing too much information about upcoming products until they don't feel existing products will slow down or stop selling since people will start waiting for the new product? That's the perspective I am coming from. 2.5 more years of the recent sales reports puts the next Xbox into "why bother" territory I think.
I think the product now is the Xbox Store / ecosystem, not the Xbox Series console (it's not selling anymore). So talking about it early tells existing customers that they can keep buying games on the Xbox store because it's all going to make the jump to PC. They will lose out on future Xbox console sales, but that's gone already. They're putting stuff on PS5 this year.

That's my theory anyway. Seems totally logical. If I know that in 2 years I'm getting some PC that opens up all the other stores, I'd have no regrets still buying games on Xbox and chilling for the next 2 years until then (might be sooner than that for the handheld too). Who knows. Just waiting to see what happens.

Last edited:

NickFire

I think the product now is the Xbox Store / ecosystem, not the Xbox Series console (it's not selling anymore). So talking about it early tells existing customers that they can keep buying games on the Xbox store because it's all going to make the jump to PC. They will lose out on future Xbox console sales, but that's gone already. They're putting stuff on PS5 this year.

That's my theory anyway. Seems totally logical. If I know that in 2 years I'm getting some PC that opens up all the other stores, I'd have no regrets still buying games on Xbox and chilling for the next 2 years until then (might be sooner than that for the handheld too). Who knows. Just waiting to see what happens.
I'm not convinced that they should be signaling this generation is coming to a close right now. But I think you make a good point about putting existing customers at ease to preserve the eco-system.

Wooxsvan

so sony releases ps5 pro, MS releases trailers/specs of xbox in 2025 or even late 2024, similar to how they unveiled One X right after the Pro had released at Video Game Awards

rm082e

Makes sense. They can't rush one out by next year, but they also can't wait to try and match Sony. Also no reason to.

The real question is do they do another walled-garden console, or are they switching to more of an open platform?

Bridges

That would be pretty crazy. I know the rumors have been that they're going to jump on next gen sooner than Sony but this feels so fast. Series X has barely had any first party output still.

Another thought: it's gonna be weird if Microsoft and Nintendo now are releasing hardware near each other and Sony is just off in isolation. Microsoft needs to put their money where their mouth is with this "biggest leap" BS though if they want any kind of chance of making this a 360/PS3 release moment, if there's even a chance of that in the first place

SHA

so sony releases ps5 pro, MS releases trailers/specs of xbox in 2025 or even late 2024, similar to how they unveiled One X right after the Pro had released at Video Game Awards
Sony will make tons of contents at that point which is what should we get from the launch, Classic Sony as we know it.

cireza

I find this strange. To me it seems that MS are going to transition to a Windows PC Box, and Xbox is going to disappear.

My best guess would be that they have been working on a compatibility layer Xbox to PC, in order to be able to run Xbox games on a PC architecture. Shouldn't be that hard, at least for One/Series.

Their next console will be a Windows PC Box with decent specs and that compatibility layer optimized for it to transition existing users while retaining their games. Standard PC users will be able to use that compatibility layer too if they match the required specs, maybe locked behind some Game Pass tier.

This will basically merge Xbox and PC for MS, and you will end up with a platform that has (close to) ALL the games, which includes Sony PC ports lol.

MS will push Game Pass and all their games on PC of course, and will also try to do the exact same thing on all other platforms.

This is my best guess in any case. And why I am not expecting a new "Xbox" but something called differently. Late 2026 does sound a bit far though, it is going to be pretty rough if this is true.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

It’s been awhile since I have heard anything but I could see 2026

Have been warning people they wanted to launch a couple of years before PS6, this talk was at the round table a year ago :)

Too late imo. They gotta get it out 2025 if they want to even have a chance. Drop the announcement in the Fall (before the PRO launch) with exclusive game announcements :messenger_tears_of_joy: , and try to steal some hype from Sony. Try to convince as many people as you can to hold off on the PRO because a new Xbox is coming in '25. It's a fucking hail mary but they're about out of time/options imo.

THE:MILKMAN

I just can't see how this could be true based on MS's own timeline slides from their FTC leak. That had the SOC design complete 4 years before console release which for a late '26 console would be late '22. Never mind all the other dozens of steps, milestones, and disclosures. Plus we surely would have had a lot of leaks by now if we're 2 years out just like we have with all previous consoles....

Unless they skip a tonne of steps in a rush (not realistically possible) or this HW is something very different than a traditional console like Series X, then I can't see this as a possible launch date. I mean the same FTC slides have them disclosing to 3rd parties 2 years before launch and you know our boy HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 would have these details....!

*IF* late '26 is the time then we *have* to get solid leaks from the big guns in the next 3 months IMO.

Top Bottom