• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the next Xbox is planned to be released in late 2026.

Geometric-Crusher

"Nintendo games are like indies, and worth at most $19" 🤡
imo everything at the moment points to a Microsoft Machine, Microsoft outsources to companies like Digital Storm and only the Microsoft Machine made by Microsoft would be called Xbox Edition, this would be the most powerful using some Nvidia RTX.

Last edited:

Geometric-Crusher

So I guess it's most powerful for contractual reasons?
Think of it as just a chain link like a Nintendo Switch, see we call 'hybrid' something that in practice is the materialization of the death of traditional Nintendo consoles. Microsoft wants to do the same by merging xbox with PC, having the most powerful Microsoft Machine as a reference just so that people change the name PC Gaming to Microsoft Gaming, everything will be exactly as it is today only this name (PC Gaming) tends to be changed killing xbox in the process.

This is just an opinion based on all these rumors, this is a possible conclusion.

Last edited:

squarealex

GFSLDq4XgAA3IR-.png

This leak is one of the best leaks of all time as far as I'm concerned. It's all coming true.

The most WTF part is when he say "Kojima is finally making a movie".
When I read that, i'm saying.. "yeah, obviously, this list is bullshit, never gonna happen fools"

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Let's say it's 1K for a Nextbox, that's unlikely to be upgradeable, and MS may also want Nextbox owners to pay for internet access the way console types do.

I cannot imagine choosing this over a PC, but let's wait and see. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see it.

avin
Without a doubt we are in an era where the best place to play is on PC, I am in no way arguing against that

Just having talked to some of my Xbox only gamer friends and some will still buy that higher end Xbox/PC and wont switch to full on PC gaming

I have seen a few people here say the same thing

Some may not understand but I guess they don’t have to

It is what it is

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Last edited:

ZehDon

I'm curious to see how Microsoft's "all in" on AI shakes out in their next gaming machines. When Microsoft went heavy on the subscription models, they created Game Pass. That's been a wild ride. NVidia's DLSS has well and truly proven itself, but I'm curious if Microsoft's flirting with their own chips has etched out some other interesting uses for AI in addition to image reconstruction. Could be interesting, or maybe I'm just nostalgic for the days when consoles weren't merely recombinations of identical parts in different coloured boxes.

Last edited:

Geometric-Crusher

Cod on Gamepass now, it was a mistake, they could use it as a new factor for the next one. So there is still someone very proud trying to save the doomed Xbox Series

THE DUCK

Banned
I'm curious to see how Microsoft's "all in" on AI shakes out in their next gaming machines. When Microsoft went heavy on the subscription models, they created Game Pass. That's been a wild ride. NVidia's DLSS has well and truly proven itself, but I'm curious if Microsoft's flirting with their own chips has etched out some other interesting uses for AI in addition to image reconstruction. Could be interesting, or maybe I'm just nostalgic for the days when consoles weren't merely recombinations of identical parts in different coloured boxes.

Well there is some interesting stuff floating around about ai rendering a scene as you would see it in real time, creating huge savings on gpu and drawing the scene more realistically overall. But the question is, how far are from ai being able to do this 60 times in one second?

ZehDon

Well there is some interesting stuff floating around about ai rendering a scene as you would see it in real time, creating huge savings on gpu and drawing the scene more realistically overall. But the question is, how far are from ai being able to do this 60 times in one second?
Microsoft's designs would largely be cemented at this point. If it's still theoretical, it's not in their console.

What I imagine we'll see is a dedicated NPU, open for developers to utilise, but with baked in options as part of the SDK. Xbox's own image reconstruction, for example. However, I imagine things like AI-powered culling determination, path finding, or asset decompression could also be provided. Those types of advances would give you their "biggest leap ever" because they allow hardware to punch well over its on-paper specs. If you can't squeeze more transistors into the box, then you have to find a way to let the transistors you have be more efficient. Using AI to short-cut taxing aspects of a game loop frees time for more CPU and/or GPU work per frame.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
its not hard to envision a portable 1080p OLED 8inch screen XBOX that can play games locally with 720 DLSS to 1080p on the go, and a Console "DOCK" that you plug it into at home with a dedicated GPU and some other bells and whistles to elevate it to a true gaming powerhouse. IF were talking Late 2026 release they probably are AMD Zen 5, 24GB ram, and an AMD Descrete GPU allowing 4k/120 but if its a 2026 release they are going to have to shoot for some kind of 8K offering as PS6 will definitely be using that for brownie points even though no one cares about 8K yet. I'll take a full gen of 4K / 120 / 240 first before we jump to 8k nonsense.

pasterpl

Are we expecting them to keep the Xbox name?
Why not, its sort of recognisable already. They invested in building this brand and it connects directly with gaming.

on the other hand, just wondering if this all means that MS will switch to more frequent hardware releases (Which I am a fan of, imo. Console gen should last max 4 years, be fully cross gen and have upgradable components for these who doesn’t want brand new box).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
its not hard to envision a portable 1080p OLED 8inch screen XBOX that can play games locally with 720 DLSS to 1080p on the go, and a Console "DOCK" that you plug it into at home with a dedicated GPU and some other bells and whistles to elevate it to a true gaming powerhouse. IF were talking Late 2026 release they probably are AMD Zen 5, 24GB ram, and an AMD Descrete GPU allowing 4k/120 but if its a 2026 release they are going to have to shoot for some kind of 8K offering as PS6 will definitely be using that for brownie points even though no one cares about 8K yet. I'll take a full gen of 4K / 120 / 240 first before we jump to 8k nonsense.

So do you think that portable will be their "next-gen" system? Or just a handheld version of the Xbox Series X?

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Cod on Gamepass now, it was a mistake, they could use it as a new factor for the next one. So there is still someone very proud trying to save the doomed Xbox Series
Then it would have been the continuous rumours of is going on or not. Get it on there now so the info is out there now and could influence the purchasing decision of those of who it interests.
And as for the new factor, that mostly went out the window this gen and will happen again next gen.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
So do you think that portable will be their "next-gen" system? Or just a handheld version of the Xbox Series X?
I like others believe two systems. The handheld will be more In line with a series s than an X due to it being portable.

And a full console like experience with another system however it will be more like a hybrid pc imho.

I think they should just go the handheld / dock solution and have one sku with the handheld and offer a dock as an attachment. The handheld can have a basic dock for tv play but you need the advanced dock for the console experience.

Radical_3d

Enjoy your 5 seconds of battery.
Yes. We're in 2024. It's not too much to ask for the next consoles to easily run games at 8K/120FPS at a bare minimum.
Is this whole forum based in Netherlands, California and other places where weed is legal? It’s 2024 and we have sub 60fps at 720p in Immortals of Whatever.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
A 1080p handheld can easily get 4-5 hours with these new chips and a decent battery. That’s not out of the realm of possibility. The console like experience would require a dock that wouldn’t effect battery life

Radical_3d

A 1080p handheld can easily get 4-5 hours with these new chips and a decent battery. That’s not out of the realm of possibility. The console like experience would require a dock that wouldn’t effect battery life
Even if you downclock in portable using a Zen 5 CPU and not an APU but a discrete GPU aside will be way less efficient. And if you are aiming to have graphics on par with the current generation no matter if you run it at 1080, that’d requiere way more power than what a portable system can deliver in 2026.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Is this whole forum based in Netherlands, California and other places where weed is legal? It’s 2024 and we have sub 60fps at 720p in Immortals of Whatever.

If a PC can do 8k/120 why not a console? Both are practically the same now anyway. No reason why we can't have a portable XSX or PS5 either. The tech is there and the people demand better.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Not sure if sarcasm.

100% real.

Steam Deck is a couple years old now and can run current games. Why can't we have a Steam Deck with a little more power?

I'm not asking for a portable 4090. Just something that at least can compete with 4 year old console hardware.

Regarding the console, there is no reason why a console can't perform like a top of the range PC. It'd cost a lot of money, but it is possible.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
100% real.

Steam Deck is a couple years old now and can run current games. Why can't we have a Steam Deck with a little more power?

I'm not asking for a portable 4090. Just something that at least can compete with 4 year old console hardware.

Regarding the console, there is no reason why a console can't perform like a top of the range PC. It'd cost a lot of money, but it is possible.
You asked for 8K/120 and a portable PS5.

Neither will happen soon. $$$

Caio

Maybe it's just I, but 4K/60 FPS with great graphics and art design is enough, and please more advanced gameplay mechanics, animations, system collision and AI. 8k/120 fps means nothing if we keep playing the same "crap" over and over again. Just my thought.

coffinbirth

Even if you downclock in portable using a Zen 5 CPU and not an APU but a discrete GPU aside will be way less efficient. And if you are aiming to have graphics on par with the current generation no matter if you run it at 1080, that’d requiere way more power than what a portable system can deliver in 2026.
This exactly why Microsoft are heavily invested in making Windows gaming performant on ARM. The timetable on these things is murky, but if rumors of this handheld being released somewhat soon (the next year or two) are true, I would assume they are not ready for that yet and are probably using off the shelf parts, ala Steam Deck.

Also, to play devils advocate here, you wouldn't need to have 1080p native res on a portable. When you take RT off the table, the power requirements for current gen games fall waaaay off as well. One need to look no further than Microsoft's cross gen strategy this generation to see that very few games even required this gens hardware beyond the CPU upgrade, haha.

Stafford

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 w/ what you've heard are we talking a home console, or a lame portable deal?

(FUCK YO PORTABLES)

Indeed! I could give a damn about portable gaming, hell no. I don't have that 65 inch QD-OLED for nothing, ffs, lol. It's all about that big screen gaming. But if Xbox were to go portable only I'm gone.

Go third party all the way? It's whatever to me at this point, but if you make a cool powerful box I will be there. Because I just prefer Xbox overall.

Without a doubt we are in an era where the best place to play is on PC, I am in no way arguing against that

Just having talked to some of my Xbox only gamer friends and some will still buy that higher end Xbox/PC and wont switch to full on PC gaming

I have seen a few people here say the same thing

Some may not understand but I guess they don’t have to

It is what it is

I'm this way. Im primary XBOX even though I have a gaming PC and a PS5. It's easier to chill and play on the TV in my recliner like a true boss.

NT80

If a PC can do 8k/120 why not a console? Both are practically the same now anyway. No reason why we can't have a portable XSX or PS5 either. The tech is there and the people demand better.
A console has to take into account size, power draw, heat, and a viable price point therefore it's not realistic to expect that.

Radical_3d

I’m out of the loop, people. Is this a joke account and I’m not getting it or is this serious?
This exactly why Microsoft are heavily invested in making Windows gaming performant on ARM. The timetable on these things is murky, but if rumors of this handheld being released somewhat soon (the next year or two) are true, I would assume they are not ready for that yet and are probably using off the shelf parts, ala Steam Deck.

Also, to play devils advocate here, you wouldn't need to have 1080p native res on a portable. When you take RT off the table, the power requirements for current gen games fall waaaay off as well. One need to look no further than Microsoft's cross gen strategy this generation to see that very few games even required this gens hardware beyond the CPU upgrade, haha.
If you get a current gen game and take away RT and reduce the resolution to 720p that’s LITERALLY the Series S. And that power is not 2 years away to be in mobile. Yes ARM is very efficient but that’s just the instruction set for the CPU. The GPU raw power doesn’t benefits from it and still needs to be powered the same way as always.

Top Bottom