• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiguel182

I think American Graffitit and Star Wars beg to differ.

The problem is that fans interpreted things differently. Objectively the prequels are still good films, its just they weren't what fans who are now in their 40's and 50's wanted them to be.

Up until the 2012 Disney buyout I was a HUGE Star Wars fan. Im talking about all of the Celebrations(in the US) and $5,000+ of Hasbro/Kenner figures. That series was my life. That being said I have no reservation saying Star Wars fans(particularly the older ones) are some of the most entitled fans out there. The Prequels were never going to be what some fans wanted them to be, honestly, that's for the better. My fear with these new movies is that they are essentially going to be an example of slightly different Star Wars being passed off as new and shiny but largely staying the same. Several rumors up to this point have been confirmed by the trailer, which is a shame because the rumors imply we are essentially getting ANH all over again. I don't want to see that movie, I've seen it hundreds of times before already.

Objectively the prequels are not good films.

This has nothing to do with "they runied Vader" or something dumb like that. The fact of the matter is they are pieces of crap movies.

They are lazily directed, badly written, lack any form of cohesion, the pacing is crap, the characters fall flat and (the last two) rely on green screen to much and just look fake.

They are bad movies. Not bad Star Wars movies just bad movies period.

The Star Wars prequels are textbook examples of how complete creative control can lead to a disaster of a movie. You saying they are objectively good movies is one of the most laughable things I've read here.

That stuff is cool, but star wars is about more than just the awesome effects. The story is a big part and the framing of the trailer with its small dialogue is giving me prequel trilogy flashbacks. Its just all "DRAMATIC DRAMATIC DRAMATIC".

Well it's a teaser. You're expecting too much from it, there's more good than bad in those 88 seconds. The dialogue was a bit corny but come on, this IS Star Wards. There's a bunch of cheese in it at times old and new.

This has nothing to do with "they runied Vader" or something dumb like that. The fact of the matter is they are pieces of crap movies.

They are lazily directed, badly written, lack any form of cohesion, the pacing is crap, the characters fall flat and (the last two) rely on green screen to much and just look fake.

The Star Wars prequels are textbook examples of how complete creative control can lead to a disaster of a movie. You saying they are objectively good movies is one of the most laughable things I've read here.
Nothing you just said is objective.

That stuff is cool, but star wars is about more than just the awesome effects. The story is a big part and the framing of the trailer with its small dialogue is giving me prequel trilogy flashbacks. Its just all "DRAMATIC DRAMATIC DRAMATIC".

1. What the fuck is small dialogue

2. Do you understand what a teaser is

I feel like star wars fans are the type of fans that look for whats wrong instead of enjoying the product, i mean a slight change for someones light saber has them going mad

If you follow spoilers, a lot of the questions about the funky hilt are sorta answered.

In short: antique Sith stuff.

Some are speculating it's Darth Revan who was supposed to be dead and would be 5,000 years old here which would explain old Lightsaber tech and his appearance in leaked concept images.

Though that is all very speculative of course but I like the idea of an old sith breaking into the new world with his old tech and the title would make sense then

I feel like star wars fans are the type of fans that look for whats wrong instead of enjoying the product, i mean a slight change for someones light saber has them going mad

That's just most die hard fans of anything though. More recently Jurassic Park and The Hobbit movies got the same treatment

kiguel182

Trailer showed the two prominent characters.
One is female, and the other is black.

;__;
We've come so far.

If the black guy is the protagonist then it really is awesome that Star Wars is being this progressive. Really cool to see even if all those racist comments kind of ruin it.

Unfortunately there's only one women lead. There's still a lot to improve on that area since the original movies also had one woman lead. It's still cool they put her on the first teaser but I would like more.

because Abrams doesn't have time for some nitpicky suggestions on how to make his film look cooler.

Let's make Episode IX entirely designed by commitee, you guys!

Star Wars is one of those things that have gotten so big, many fans feel ownership of it. I guarantee you there will be about 400 million suggestions about how every single aspect, down to individual words in the script, "should've" been different.

Lemaitre

Banned

Gonna have to agree with Moe here. The prequels make me want to puke when I watch them. Original trilogy is GOAT.

Salsa

hey

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crossguard_lightsaber

The crossguard lightsaber, also known as the forked lightsaber, was a type of lightsaber seen very rarely. One Jedi known to use such a weapon was Roblio Darté, whose lightsaber had two blue blades.
The crossguard lightsaber was essentially a regular lightsaber with a second blade emitter protruding near the first one at a 45-degree angle to the axis of the hilt. The blade the second emitter emitted was dagger-sized. Roblio Darté's hilt was also built with a slight curve.

Deflecting_Slash_JATM.JPG

imQuARdnR1Txh.gif

Looks like he encountered a few White Walkers.

So Abrams went from samurai light sabres to medieval sabres? . Is it some sort reference to this being the dark ages for the Jedi?

As for the trailer. Well, it looks better than the prequels at least. I never really liked the Abrams Star Trek movies and always felt he was better suited to direct something like Star Wars. Star Trek Into Darkness felt like a Star Wars movie wrapped up in Trek clothing. I honestly have much higher hopes for this one than i do Jurassic World.

Neff

I find that the more awesome the trailer, the more shit the film is.

TPM's teaser was awesome. This (and Jurassic World's) were just "good."

I can honestly never rely on trailers for good impressions of movies. I've seen great trailers for great films, shit trailers for shit films, shit trailers for great films, and great trailers for shit films.

My hunch is that this movie will probably be great, but will abandon a lot of what makes Star Wars esoterically Star Wars. A great movie in its own right, but a shit Star Wars movie.

Dylan

If the black guy is the protagonist then it really is awesome that Star Wars is being this progressive. Really cool to see even if all those racist comments kind of ruin it.

Unfortunately there's only one women lead. There's still a lot to improve on that area since the original movies also had one woman lead. It's still cool they put her on the first teaser but I would like more.

I'm all for it, but I wouldn't call a black lead in a 2015 film "progressive".

Lemaitre

Banned

I do love that we have a black guy as the first thing in the trailer though. Hopefully this will get other studios to cast more black leads in the future. But then again people will argue you could cast almost anyone of any color and it would still make bank since its Star Wars.

kiguel182

Nothing you just said is objective.

You can see if a movie is well directed, well paced and well written. It's not exact science but it's hardly hard to reach a consensus on that.

He was the one that pulled the "objective" word.

But fuck it, I can throw it out. I would love to see anyone try to prove those are good movies.

(I didn't even touch on the acting, how could I forget).

According to casting, there's at least two women in prominent roles. Lupita Nyongo was also cast in the film.

Fliesen

Actually there is reason to not believe that. If the metal portions of the guard were hiding the rest of the mini blades, they'd still have to be exposed at least a little to protect the metal portion, or it will get damaged, but they aren't. Also, we don't see any glow from any hidden portion which would force it to be completely surrounded by the metal, meaning again the metal would get damaged. The only portion of the metal that would be practical to protect the user would be the side next to the wielder's hand. The rest would be pointless as it would just be prone to damage.

yes, you'd cut the metal pipe around the laser blade, but you wouldn't be able to cross the laser blade within. I don't care if the metal falls off after having blocked a few hits

metal protects your hands, crystal emits blade, prism thingy extends blade as a crossguard (if triggered), blades within metal hilt block hits.

that's how i would imagine it working.

Branduil

The lightsaber thing isn't really important on its own, but it does feel like a small failure to understand the OT. Not one they started, this is another Lucas mistake(although at least the double-bladed saber had novelty/utility going for it). In the original film Obi-Wan called it an elegant weapon, the weapon of the Jedi. Implicit in this and its usage throughout the OT is that the lightsaber is an ancient weapon that has already long ago been iterated to its ideal, minimalistic design. If not having saber-guards is an actual problem that's only just been invented, it makes the Jedi look like idiots. If it's just for show, then it's stupid for different reasons. Either way, it feels like a pointless design decision purely to look "cool."

Like I said, it's not something that will make or break the movie, but it's not something that inspires confidence either.

curb

Banned
After yet another viewing I really like the sound work on the X-Wings in flight. Brought me right back to the Death Star battle in ANH. Incredibly well done.

kd-z

OH MY GOD THAT WAS SO GOOOOD :DDD

I was three or maybe even two years old when my parents introduced me to Star Wars via VHS.

My reaction to the trailer while watching it:

- Lol, that's a weird way to start, but also funny
- Man, those cats to black are kinda irritating!
- That's a pretty X-Wing scene!
- I hope there's not too much shakiness like in the dropship bit :///
- Yo, that's a dumb and cool lightsaber!
"..and the Light"
- HOLY SHIT IT'S MILLENIUM FALCON OH MY GOOOOOASDMAOSDONAHDWQCUHENCQHDQWX MDSJMLACDCASDCA

"Prove" is a rough word to use in this instance. Hard to prove an opinion. That being said, I still think Revenge of the Sith is a flawed masterpiece.

By that reckoning, every film is a flawed masterpiece. Some with greater flaws more often. Like say, throughout the entire film.

kiguel182

I'm all for it, but I wouldn't call a black lead in a 2015 film "progressive".

How many action movies are lead by a black man not named Will Smith?

It might not be new but the fact that a movie as big as this has a black lead that's not a big name actor is a big step in the right direction.

I do love that we have a black guy as the first thing in the trailer though. Hopefully this will get other studios to cast more black leads in the future. But then again people will argue you could cast almost anyone of any color and it would still make bank since its Star Wars.

It's true that studios could argue that but you could also argue that the fact it was a black lead didn't hurt the movie. I hopeful they'll see it in a positive light.

Either way it's great to see.

Metallix87

By that reckoning, every film is a flawed masterpiece. Some with greater flaws more often. Like say, throughout the entire film.

I more meant minor flaws, mostly due to lack of vision on Lucas's part. The most glaring issue is the Grievous vs. Kenobi fight, as the making of features reveal that the reason the fight went the way it did is because Lucas couldn't envision Kenobi standing a chance unless Grievous lost two arms right off the bat.

Blair

Banned
Meh at the design, but the sound and ferocity of that light saber was awesome. Hopefully it stays looking wild in the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom