• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony won't be holding a press conference at Gamescom 2015

Turkoop

Banned
It honestly has little to do with any of that. These conferences aren't just about announcing new games, but promoting your platform. Gamescom is just poorly positioned this year unfortunately. From the end of November until January, you have the biggest period of the year in terms of sales. This media briefing is the answer to that age old question, "What does Sony have for the holidays?" It turns out they have words.

At least you know what people are going to look forward to now if TLG isn't shown at E3.

Edit:

Oh wait. I forgot. There's that one show called, TGS. But no one really expects TLG there, ever.

Edit 2:

It's not that I forgot, but that TGS sucks.

Edit 3:

Okay. Maybe I did forget.

Edit 4:

This is probably a sign of Alzheimer's.

I hate you.
the more you post about TLG, the more you destroy all my TLG Expections at E3..

Elandyll

Banned
Yep. Not much of a gap between the latter two either, assuming PSX is on the same time as last year.

At that time of the year, October 27th to December 6th is like an eternity ;)

I expect most of the Holiday - impacting announcmeents to be made during E3, TGS being generally reserved for the Asia - centric announcements.

Now this being said, with Paris Expo being just 4 weeks before Black Firday ...
Dunno. Can't really imaigne them doing major NA market impacting annoucements in a Paris Show. Maybe they'd wait until then for a major price cut (global) for maximum Holiday effect?

Im done Sony. It started with no games and now no press conferences. Arrogant Sony is back full force.

;)

NRCFkvw.jpg

AmuroChan

Well, Ubisoft and Thrustmaster (both held by some of the Guillemot brothers) are also French.
Does this mean we'll hear from them at the conference, too?

It's possible. Quantic Dream and Wild Sheep Studio are both based in France, which is why it makes sense logistically for them to show their games at PGW, especially with Sony not having a conference at Gamescom. Ubisoft has studios all over the world and Thrustmaster is based in Oregon I believe. They are also not making exclusives on the PS4 so they can show their games at Gamescom at one of the other conferences.

So with Sony's only European conference at PGW, it makes sense that both Wild and Quantic's new IP would appear there, as they are exclusives and wouldn't appear at somebody else's conference.

Shin-Ra

If putting in a bigger gap from E3 means a greater difference in new content and more advanced playable demos, the international press are more likely to be enthusiastic about making the effort to travel. It's also more interesting for us.

nampad

WTF Sony? They always took GC serious and had the best conferences and now they are doing an 180 and neglect the convention.

SMH.

Rurunaki

WTF Sony? They always took GC serious and had the best conferences and now they are doing an 180 and neglect the convention.

SMH.

6 weeks margin between E3 and Gamescon.. even if they held a presser at Gamescon, it will just be a repeat of E3 announcements.. I see no point in that..

Shin-Ra

I think Quantic Dream would rather reveal their new game at E3, especially if there's Hollywood talent involved.

Mikey Jr.

Guys, Sony is still gonna be at gamescom. Shit. They just won't have a conf. I'm sure there will still be Playable demos and shit.

Portugeezer

Can't see that Halo bundle moving the needle at all if it isn't at $299.

PS4 + MGS 5 @ $299

PS4 + Star Wars: Battlefront @ $299

PS4 + Sony IP @ $299

The possibilities are endless, but Sony needs to hit that crucial $299 price point.

I think MS desperately wants to maintain its market share, at the expense of profits during the holidays.

They probably intend to recoup costs through subscriptions/services/software :/

You are thinking too much about them being behind Sony in sales, but in the end they will look to make money; bundling Halo for free would be a waste IMO as it's a system seller in its own right.

I don't think PS4 price will be as low as $300 officially, it will be $350 at the lowest, and yeah a Star Wars bundle might happen, Star Wars fever will be high for those months which might help, but it's not exclusive to PS4.

People are missing the fact that the promise of a gamescom conference would be a perfect antidote to Shenmue and Team Ico fan's post E3 depression.

Three

They already said Halo 5 is getting a custom bundle.

So basically an expensive bundle with all the Halo bling-bling.

Can't see that Halo bundle moving the needle at all if it isn't at $299.

Orochi, it's Halo, Halo is MS's cash cow. They will not make a halo bundle $299. They put up the Limited Edition Halo 5 game for $250, halo fans bought it and they didn't even know what's in it or even the cover art. They will try to get as much money from the Halo crowd come Christmas. Last Christmas, even with the massive price drops, they charged between $450-$499 for Call of Duty:AW edition consoles.

If Sony ends up not having many big AAA exclusive games for this fall (compared to MS), then a show in October will be a good way to keep that PS4 momentum going into the winter.

At that time of the year, October 27th to December 6th is like an eternity ;)

I expect most of the Holiday - impacting announcmeents to be made during E3, TGS being generally reserved for the Asia - centric announcements.

Now this being said, with Paris Expo being just 4 weeks before Black Firday ...
Dunno. Can't really imaigne them doing major NA market impacting annoucements in a Paris Show. Maybe they'd wait until then for a major price cut (global) for maximum Holiday effect?

That's a good point.

I just don't see any sort of price drop on PS4 in 2015, and if there is, I doubt it will be $100. Sony is outselling XB1 everywhere, while being equal to or more expensive. I would think to Sony (as a company) the profit margin of a PS4 at $399 outweighs the higher sales (revenue) from a price drop, at least until next year. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2TB PS4 in the same form factor announced this year, at E3 or perhaps this Paris show.

Verendus

Banned
It's time to end this joke since it's clearly gone too far, and officially bring back Gamescom. People's hearts are being hurt, and it's getting out of control already.

Also, going to print out this picture, and hang it in the office. If only someone could do one of Phil Spencer so I can hang it right next to it.

Edit:

I rather liked last year's TGS. Between Dragon Quest Heroes, Persona 5's PS4 announcement, God Eater 2: Rage Burst, the next Ys, a couple of new Compile Heart games, Resident Evil Revelations 2, Senran Kagura, etc. I thought there were a lot of cool announcements.

But to each their own, of course! I'm big on Japanese games, as some might now.
It's not you, it's me.

I hate on everything. It's just what I am. I apologise for living my life this way.

salromano

It honestly has little to do with any of that. These conferences aren't just about announcing new games, but promoting your platform. Gamescom is just poorly positioned this year unfortunately. From the end of November until January, you have the biggest period of the year in terms of sales. This media briefing is the answer to that age old question, "What does Sony have for the holidays?" It turns out they have words.

At least you know what people are going to look forward to now if TLG isn't shown at E3.

Edit:

Oh wait. I forgot. There's that one show called, TGS. But no one really expects TLG there, ever.

Edit 2:

It's not that I forgot, but that TGS sucks.

Edit 3:

Okay. Maybe I did forget.

Edit 4:

This is probably a sign of Alzheimer's.

I rather liked last year's TGS. Between Dragon Quest Heroes, Persona 5's PS4 announcement, God Eater 2: Rage Burst, the next Ys, a couple of new Compile Heart games, Resident Evil Revelations 2, Senran Kagura, etc. I thought there were a lot of cool announcements.

But to each their own, of course! I'm big on Japanese games, as some might know.

orochi91

Orochi, it's Halo, Halo is MS's cash cow. They will not make a halo bundle $299. They put up the Limited Edition Halo 5 game for $250, halo fans bought it and they didn't even know what's in it or even the cover art. They will try to get as much money from the Halo crowd come Christmas. Last Christmas, even with the massive price drops, they charged between $450-$499 for Call of Duty:AW edition consoles.

Yea, these are pretty fair points.

I suppose I just don't know how receptive gamers will be of Halo 5 following H4 and MCC.

But as you said, it's MS's number 1 cash cow and they will go all out to squeeze as much money as possible from the Halo fan-base during the holiday season.

I can understand why Sony would skip Gamescom conference really. Its good they've got something planned for October (Paris Games week?) and then PSX is in December again I think?

Not a problem for them, I suspect E3 and Gamescom won't be so close again next year. I think reflects more on the poor planning of the two events being two weeks closer this year than it does anything about Sony, might be a bit too much to have so much fresh content.

Kyoufu

I can understand why Sony would skip Gamescom conference really. Its good they've got something planned for October (Paris Games week?) and then PSX is in December again I think?

Not a problem for them, I suspect E3 and Gamescom won't be so close again next year

To be honest I thought they were pretty close to each other last year too. Not that I complained, of course.

RdN

Didn't even know that Paris Games Week was a thing...

But, with Gamescon coming so close after E3 this year, it might be a good thing for Sony to get some more time and avoid the "no games" stigma that got them in 2014.

Stinks for those going that were probably looking forward to it, but they will still be there on the floor.

Makes sense why they wouldn't want to focus on it though as it is so close to E3.

Rndm

Upset about this.

And what about the "gamescom is a place to focus on European devs"? Gamer week or whatever that event in Paris is called is.. irrelevant to the industry. gamescom is at least a huge event with a lot of attention and I did always appreciate that it gave quite a few (smaller) European devs to present their games at a big stage during a big week. That's gone then, at least the press event part.

Upset about this.

And what about the "gamescom is a place to focus on European devs"? Gamer week or whatever that event in Paris is called is.. irrelevant to the industry. gamescom is at least a huge event with a lot of attention and I did always appreciate that it gave quite a few (smaller) European devs to present their games at a big stage during a big week. That's gone then, at least the press event part.

It was irrelevant, it's not anymore. And PGW has 275.000 visitors every year, it's a huge event in Paris.

Elandyll

Banned
That's a good point.

I just don't see any sort of price drop on PS4 in 2015, and if there is, I doubt it will be $100. Sony is outselling XB1 everywhere, while being equal to or more expensive. I would think to Sony (as a company) the profit margin of a PS4 at $399 outweighs the higher sales (revenue) from a price drop, at least until next year. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2TB PS4 in the same form factor announced this year, at E3 or perhaps this Paris show.

Imo you can bank on a price drop, $50 minimum and likely to be $100.

Not only did Sony miss their forecast on PS4 sales last FY (14.8m instead of 15m), but they are predicting an increase in sales for current FY (16m) and a general income down by 8.1bY for the division afaik, and the $399 market is likely going to be tapped out by summer '15 (we are already down YoY on PS4 sales for the past quarter).

This all points to a price drop, with on top of that a $299 XB1 bundle being all but guaranteed during the Holidays (imo it's going to be a Tomb Raider one, including both Rise and the first game).

To be honest I thought they were pretty close to each other last year too. Not that I complained, of course.

Well they're usually pretty close, only so much time apart when one is in June and the other August but anyway, as I said I don't think its a big deal. They'll have a good E3 (I assume) and I'm sure they will have some stuff at Gamescom then wait for Paris.

ZeroFate

Noooooo. Will they still have a precense there (i.e. games?). Trying out the Morpheus at last year's event was a huge highlight for me. Was looking forward to trying that again. ;_;

ZarKryn7

Upset about this.

That's essentially what they're doing in PGW genuis.

Angel_DvA

Upset about this.

You think Gamescon was always a thing ? lmao...

teiresias

Upset about this.

Sony first party is under delivering this generation, and I've seen nothing to indicate it's fixing the problems. This doesn't help matters, nor give any confidence things are changing being the scenes.

Hopefully the professed focus on first party development that MS is touting comes to fruition. At this point I think they're the only ones who can save this generation from #NOGAMES.

labaronx

The reason they gave was sound. Didnt realize Gamescom was so much earlier th8s year. No keynote but they'll still be there

Kayant

I mean it's not like they are not going to be at GC at all. They haven't said any plans about not being at the showfloor have they? That would be bad. GC has been more enjoyable than their last 2 E3'ss imo but maybe this also means a bigger focus on E3 this year with more space between the next conferences?

In the other hand

Hidy4rW.png

We will see given last year was screamride being the only new announcement iirc apart from Tomb raider deal.

Top Bottom