• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 review embargo lifts May 5 at 12 AM PST

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the beta, you play against human opponents and it runs at 60FPS. This is not representative of the single player game. It won't be as smooth. For me the biggest reasons Uncharted shooting mechanics suck is because of the terrible suicidal AI and lack of response to bullets. I want to see some real improvement in the AI where it behaves like human players in the beta.
So anything under that level of AI is a fail mark?

In the beta, you play against human opponents and it runs at 60FPS. This is not representative of the single player game. It won't be as smooth. For me the biggest reasons Uncharted shooting mechanics suck is because of the terrible suicidal AI and lack of response to bullets. I want to see some real improvement in the AI where it behaves like human players in the beta.

I mean do you guys not even watch gameplay footage??

GIF372af6.gif

unchartedleg27jp4p.gif

Jeep.gif

nib95

Banned

No game has completely human like AI, and it's not necessarily because of a technical limitation, but because super realistic AI potentially lends to ultra frustrating gameplay and can completely ruin the flow of not only the game, but the combat. According to ND, that was the main reason the AI in The Last of Us for example was pared back. Not for technical reasons, but to make the gameplay more fun. In other words, the AI should be competent, but it doesn't need to be completely realistic and totally mimicking human behaviour. It's simply not one of those types of games. Neither is is any TPS now that I think about it, though that level of AI could certainly work for a franchise like Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six.

Regarding response to bullets, it's already been completely overhauled.

GIF650acd.gif

unchartedleg27jp4p.gif

reKon

Banned

Locked 30 FPS is still smooth.

Also, if you're lack of response criticism is related to enemies allegedly being bullet sponges, get better at the game (always aim for the head). The AI was fine in past Uncharted games... if you can tell me other TPS that had noticeably better AI than Uncharted, then I'd like to know. With that said, TLoU blew Uncharted out of the water in terms of AI and general awareness. They have carried that on to Uncharted 4 along with all the contextual melee and huge variation of animations (I'm pretty sure enemies can go up and grab you/beat on you.

Eh I guess. But it was worth being more precise. 10 hours would make it like Uncharted 2 and 3. 14 hours makes it easily the longest in the series, which people will consider a big positive for the game. That's an important distinction.
it is an important distinction but it fits with my point in that the game won't and shouldn't lose points for length.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Drake climbing up some obstacle is certainly iconic at this point

2103682-uncharted_3_ps3_drakes_deception_plane_fall.jpg

And I see no problem with that sequence being utilized more than once when it's such a great set piece.

And They ding you for trying something different in games and for staying consistent so it really doesn't matter...

Fact.

10/10 scores haven't been common lately, and some game review sites are intentially putting out low scores for clicks these days. I would expect 90-93 metacritic score. I would be pleasantly surprised if it goes over.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
there's always going to be people saying [insert acclaimed product here] is overrated. people say star wars is overrated, breaking bad is overrated, bloodborne is overrated, game of thrones is overrated, etc.. that type of criticism is always going to be there so you just really need to decide for yourself if you're gonna let it affect you and if you do, you still need to formulate your own opinion and decide if it lives up to your hype and anticipation or not.

Well said.

Reading that last impression in the other thread and hearing about all the extra goodies and stuff they've put into the game ON TOP of it being excellent has me super confident in this games reviews. This game will be a 94 minimum. It just sounds like a labor of love.

gamerMan

Locked 30 FPS is still smooth.

Also, if you're lack of response criticism is related to enemies allegedly being bullet sponges, get better at the game (always aim for the head). The AI was fine in past Uncharted games... if you can tell me other TPS that had noticeably better AI than Uncharted, then I'd like to know. With that said, TLoU blew Uncharted out of the water in terms of AI and general awareness. They have carried that on to Uncharted 4 along with all the contextual melee and huge variation of animations (I'm pretty sure enemies can go up and grab you/beat on you.

No, my criticism of the AI has nothing to do with skill level. I feel the Uncharted games are too easy because of the simplistic gamey AI. In fact, since it always behaves the same you can simply run around, cover, dodge grenades, take a couple guys out, run back, and repeat. You can do this between 2 or 3 cover points and the entire AI bots in the area will come to you like braindead locusts.

The AI should behave realistically not always charging you. All the guys in Uncharted do the same thing constantly flanking you and coming to you. The only guys that don't charge you are the terminator guys with the RPGs and sniper guys.

Once the game sees you, the dudes have x-ray vision and know exactly where you are. The sniper rifles, grenades, and RPGs are glued to your head like a magnet. While it wasn't perfect, I think the AI in Gears of War was far more challenging and behaved a lot more natural. You are right the AI in Last Of Us was much better as they would often lose track of you when you got away or hid somewhere. That's what I mean by more "human."

No, my criticism of the AI has nothing to do with skill level. I feel the Uncharted games are too easy because of the simplistic gamey AI. In fact, since it always behaves the same you can simply run around, cover, dodge grenades, take a couple guys out, run back, and repeat. You can do this between 2 or 3 cover points and the entire AI bots in the area will come to you like braindead locusts.

The AI should behave realistically not always charging you. All the guys in Uncharted do the same thing constantly flanking you and coming to you. The only guys that don't charge you are the terminator guys with the RPGs and sniper guys.

Once the game sees you, the dudes have x-ray vision and know exactly where you are. The sniper rifles, grenades, and RPGs are glued to your head like a magnet. While it wasn't perfect, I think the AI in Gears of War was far more challenging and behaved a lot more natural. You are right the AI in Last Of Us was much better as they would often lose track of you when you got away or hid somewhere. That's what I mean by more "human."

I am going to assume that you have not been keeping up with or watching videos of Uncharted 4 because the first demo they showed at PSX 2014 was stealth gameplay of AI finding, losing track of and searching for you.

nib95

Banned
I am going to assume that you have not been keeping up with or watching videos of Uncharted 4 because the first demo they showed at PSX 2014 was stealth gameplay of AI finding, losing track of and searching for you.

Not just that, but if he's already conceded that the AI is much improved in TLoU, it goes without saying that the AI in Uncharted 4 would be as good if not better. They did mention in the making of videos they've done a lot more work on it, but my guess is reaction time, efficiency etc will very much depend on the difficulty level.

Like most big releases, it's probably going to get a few 10's, a lot of 9's, some 8's and maybe a few lower scores from the sites who need the clicks.

Whatever it scores though, it's going to be a fantastic game, this is Naughty Dog afterall.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Don't concern yourself with what this poster is saying here.

No game has completely human like AI, and it's not necessarily because of a technical limitation, but because super realistic AI potentially lends to ultra frustrating gameplay and can completely ruin the flow of not only the game, but the combat. According to ND, that was the main reason the AI in The Last of Us for example was pared back. Not for technical reasons, but to make the gameplay more fun. In other words, the AI should be competent, but it doesn't need to be completely realistic and totally mimicking human behaviour. It's simply not one of those types of games. Neither is is any TPS now that I think about it, though that level of AI could certainly work for a franchise like Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six.

Regarding response to bullets, it's already been completely overhauled.

GIF650acd.gif

unchartedleg27jp4p.gif
the thing about those gifs is I wonder how consistent the wounding is gonna be. you remember during the car chase parts when nate was on the back of the trucks, he was shooting at one of the bike riders in the leg but it didn't seem to phase him.

DevilFox

I'm peeking at few gameplay here and there to fulfill my curiosity without getting too spoiled (I know, I'm weak). What I've seen is just incredible, beyond anything I could've imagined, and I'm talking about scale, graphics, variety, level design, actors' performance, literally everything looks great. I'm confident that it also controls well so color me shocked if Uncharted 4 scores less than 92, even with 100 reviews and few comedians giving it a 7.
Can't wait to confirm these impressions in few days.

TissueBox

For the record if it were to get relatively mediocre (but still good -- which, in other words, equates to terrible) scores I'd be even more interested in playing it just to see how such a big and supposedly detailed game can amount to that, lol.

I hope this place isn't as embarrassing to be around as it was when Uncharted 3 launched.

Though it seems like it's already happening.

Bold prediction:

There will be far more posts expecting a UC3 meltdown in the review thread then any sort of actual meltdown posts.

I know, seems like a tough one for me to win.
/s

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Bold prediction:

There will be far more posts expecting a UC3 meltdown in the review thread then any sort of actual meltdown posts.

/s

I think you may not be too far off on this. I will definitely take those odds.

Bold prediction:

/s
No need for sarcasm, I've seen enough GAF Uncharted threads to know this will be a tough one for you to win.

That's coming from someone who's favourite franchise of all time is Uncharted

the thing about those gifs is I wonder how consistent the wounding is gonna be. you remember during the car chase parts when nate was on the back of the trucks, he was shooting at one of the bike riders in the leg but it didn't seem to phase him.

Well that was half a year ago.

Dargor

No need for sarcasm, I've seen enough GAF Uncharted threads to know this will be a tough one for you to win.

That's coming from someone who's favourite franchise of all time is Uncharted

I completely agree with Primethius, at the time, 9 and 10s would be given like water. Every major game with heavy marketing simply were 92+ easy.

It was so ridiculous that a game with 7 or 8 MC was considered average.

Nowadays is different, reviewers recently found the lost arc of 1 to 6 lol.

So I really doubt Uncharted 4s review thread will be as ugly as its predecessor, but there will be lots of people goading for meltdowns lol

NIN90

Eagerly awaiting Mama Robotnik-esque summary post when some reviewers have the GALL to score this game below a 9.

Tratorn

The game is not scoring below a 90 average people, lol.

I kinda wish it'd score below RotR, just because the review thread would be epic. :p

But since there are really some "smart" people on this planet who would be disappointed about a <90 score and don't buy the game, I don't want that to happen for ND's sake.

reKon

Banned
In that embarrassing UC3 thread, I like how some of the posted that were on the wall of shame have been posting in this very thread with their thoughts without acknowledging that they were once going insane for UC reviews before the game came out. I think most of them have learned their lesson, but we'll see how juniors fare this time.

Blinck

I think the game will be great but the metacritic will be around 85, almost for sure. (which is still great, just not Uncharted 2 levels of great)

I just don't think that after 3 entries they can impress us as much anymore and the new "features" of the game don't seem that much of a game changer (some might actually be for the worst IMO, like the "free roaming" bits).

Hoping for good reviews though since I know ND puts a ton of effort into every game!

DKHF

We will have stuff up the day before launch. It's going to be a very lengthy vid.
I will watch it a couple of days after, when I have finished the game (assuming the vid will show previously unshown locations) but looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom