• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda has an embargo on announcing the FO4 review embargo, are you kidding me

BiggNife

Courtesy GAF's own Press Sneak Fuck:

http://kotaku.com/fallout-4-review-embargo-gets-embargo-1740855250

CTFL1Y_UEAAUFEN.png

This is gross and terrible.

BiggNife

This isn't new.

Except this is the first time I've seen it, and it's the first time Jason's seen it according to the article. It certainly isn't common. What other games did this?

e: Obviously embargoes aren't new, I'm referring to an embargo on the embargo.

FluxWaveZ

Except this is the first time I've seen it, and it's the first time Jason's seen it according to the article. It certainly isn't common. What other games did this?

They talked about this stuff in either last week's Bombcast or the one before. I don't remember specific examples, but I want to say Grand Theft Auto IV did this.

Kyou

they really should have sent an embargo that embargoed when you could talk about the embargo for talking about the review embargo

wiibomb

wait... an embargo to share the release for the embargoed review?? what is this? Embarception?

who thinks this is a good idea?

We need to go deeper.

But I agree, this is a lot more ridiculous than a teaser for teaser, even if one believes that reviews don't matter that much with a fallout/Bethesda Rpg.

Edit: the first time I preorder and get season pass and this happens, well.

The secrecy surrounding this game is it's biggest problem.

what secrecy? this is common. theres been gameplay footage since e3. theres been no downgradeathon. no major gameplay questions unasnwered. they've been pretty upfront about the game. I'd just imagine a game with 11k dialogue lines must be pretty story heavy, so i'd imagine they want to stop it from getting out (which seems to already have failed).

Hasney

e: Obviously embargoes aren't new, I'm referring to an embargo on the embargo.

It's not new. Both Giant Bomb and Gametrailers have mentioned that quite often there is embargos on revealing you have an embargo.

DOWN

Banned
But we knew the review embargo a while back. How? Someone in the screenshots thread was mentioning it casually

what secrecy? this is common. the embargo ends 4 days before the game releases. theres been gameplay footage since e3. theres been no downgradeathon. no major gameplay questions unasnwered. they've been pretty upfront about the game. I'd just imagine a game with 11k dialogue lines must be pretty story heavy, so i'd imagine they want to stop it from getting out (which seems to already have failed).

No the embargo ends one day before the game comes out

FluxWaveZ

Kotaku hasn't seen this before. So I don't imagine it being a common thing

Certainly not, but there isn't a danger of this becoming a trend when I'm positive I've heard of revealing the information of an embargo being embargoed happening several times in the past.

No the embargo ends one day before the game comes out

yeah I editied to reflect that. I still don't think its that big of a deal. I feel like this probably happens more than Kotaku is letting on but because its Fallout 4 and they recieved an official press thing about it vs. just being told not to by the pub, they want to take off with it.

Top Bottom