• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda has an embargo on announcing the FO4 review embargo, are you kidding me

For marketing purposes. Messaging happening on the same days, basically. Everyone announcing around 6th that the reviews will be up on the 9th is to drive more people to the reviews on the morning of the 9th, which immediately preceeds the launch of their game.

But this was so obviously going to leak out! So now it's marketing Bethesda's weird control obsession.

(also, holy shit, what if reviews are not amazing? that's a whole lot of 7s you've just potentially laser-focused on right now, Bethesda, GG)

PMS341

What are they hiding? Reviews will be up before launch and it's been in reviewers hands well in advance now. That's the part that matters.

Weather or not you agree with embargos in the first place is different since it's the press helping the marketing, but this isn't seemingly doing anything shady to hide anything, at least more than most other AAA games.

Considering that Bethesda had an entire blog post about the "graphical fidelity" of the game despite the numerous videos/images showcasing the lack of graphical prowess, I'd say they definitely want that aspect hidden. Maybe even the poor animations and textures, or dumbed down conversations.

The lack of honesty and directness in the industry is baffling, and it baffles me every day that so many continue to support it.

Boke1879

These sorts of things continue to get worse every year. This is never, ever going to change until pre-orders start dropping. Something with the name recognition, hype and reservation numbers of Fallout can do whatever the hell it wants without any consequences.

Even extremely good games have big embargoes now, which to me makes no sense. If your game is that good and you know it's good why not welcome more hype machine?

Like some have said. The Giant Bomb guys already talked about it and said it's not insidious. If anything it's about marketing. Get mad at the reviewers and journalists as well for doing this shit also.

Johndoey

Banned
If you wish to be exempt from the embargo embargo embargo you must go to Margot in Fargo to get some cargo that's under embargo unless you watch Argo.

Ahhh the old Agro Fargo embargo, very well then I shall return it in a fortnight good sir. Tally Ho!

Hasney

These sorts of things continue to get worse every year. This is never, ever going to change until pre-orders start dropping. Something with the name recognition, hype and reservation numbers of Fallout can do whatever the hell it wants without any consequences.

Even extremely good games have big embargoes now, which to me makes no sense. If your game is that good and you know it's good why not welcome more hype machine?

This is building the hype machine. The reviews will be announced as coming on Monday on Friday, then the game comes out Tuesday. That's the point of it, keep people excitedly waiting for reviews over the weekend and have the hype hit critical point as all websites announce when the reviews are coming at the same time and all hit at the same time instead of trickle out.

Mattenth

Not really sure what they think they're doing... OpenCritic's had the embargo time up for a few days now?

I'm hopeful that this is a sign of strength. They're anticipating the reviews to be really positive, and so they're trying to build even more hype into the launch.

Skyo

UVAaMKN.jpg

Lol at this comment thread on the Kotaku site..so baffled :S

Hasney

Well that sure fills me with confidence.

That reviews will be out a full 24 hours before the game and that copies have been out in advance to reviewers? Yup, I am non sarcastically thinking it's a good statement of confidence and just more AAA marketing bollocks.

Gengahrrr

It was on that day I put a embargo on them. And if you don't believe it, then you'd better kill me now, because I'll put a embargo on you, too.

PMS341

I'm hopeful that this is a sign of strength. They're anticipating the reviews to be really positive, and so they're trying to build even more hype into the launch.

Has this ever been the case? Seriously asking; I can't imagine the example but I'd love to see it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Basically, with it being timed, it's all marketing. They want sites to go "REVIEW COMING MONDAY!" on Friday in a massive chorus so people are hyped to see the reviews and keep the game in peoples conversations, then OH SHIT REVIEWS before OH HOLY MOTHER OF FUCKING GOD THAT'S OUT TOMORROW.

But why does that matter? How about trusting sites to know their readers and let them decide when to tell people? Or if sites trickle the news out over a few days you might get more continuous coverage rather than one big hit.

All that really matters is when the reviews come out and getting as many people interested to see them. So let the sites do their job in getting people to tune back in on Monday

This isn't new. I don't recall the games but several times I've asked reviewers when the embargo is and theyve said that they weren't allowed to reveal that

I have been OK with the mediocre graphics so far because hey, its fallout. But this is hard to ignore. As if release day embargo aren't ridiculous enough, you remove the critical process one step further. I really wish some indie outlet gets the game early independently and releases the review anyway, just to spite Bethesda but I know that's just wishful thinking.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Kind of silly and excessive on their part, but they have their reasons I suppose. Doesn't matter to me.

Don't get why people are so upset by it though. We knew for a while now reviews weren't coming till Monday. Doesn't change any of that.

Boke1879

But this was so obviously going to leak out! So now it's marketing Bethesda's weird control obsession.

(also, holy shit, what if reviews are not amazing? that's a whole lot of 7s you've just potentially laser-focused on right now, Bethesda, GG)

I know that last comment was partly in jest. But lets be real. This game probably has millions of preorders already. For the most part the reviews won't even matter unless it's severely broken. But we've already seen impressions that state it's running well.

This is all just marketing to keep the game in people's minds. Even though Bethesda doesn't need to.

Flandy

I don't think this is a big deal at all. Seems more like it has to do for marketing reasons than to actually hide anything

King_Moc

Banned
I was thinking that they were just trying to make sure no one had an advantage in announcing their review first...

...but then I realised that makes no sense at all. It's just bizarre.

In terms of the actual embargo, this is one of the rare occasions where I actually believe that they're just trying to keep the story and locations a secret.

Hasney

But why does that matter? How about trusting sites to know their readers and let them decide when to tell people? Or if sites trickle the news out over a few days you might get more continuous coverage rather than one big hit.

All that really matters is when the reviews come out and getting as many people interested to see them. So let the sites do their job in getting people to tune back in on Monday

Because if you have the power to control the message, you may as well. If you can get the sites to cry out the message they want you to cry out in a single chorus at a specific time and date, holy shit you should do that.

This isn't aimed at you and me. This is to get it "trending worldwide" and have the casual observer start talking about the game ahead of the reviews.

This is sure to lighten the reviewers spirits while playing your game and make them think more highly of you!

If all the press as a group decided, you know what, fuck these embargoes. What would the publishers do?

Or decided that they would only abide embargoes that allow them to discuss their opinions before launch. Embargoes should only be there for game content and spoilers, not to hold back impressions until the game is made available for sale.

Wallach

Yeah, but nobody's going to care, really.

From their standpoint it surely makes more sense to try to work the reviews to their favor as much as possible. They have every reason to be confident in reviews being strong.

Hasney

This is sure to lighten the reviewers spirits while playing your game and make them think more highly of you!

It's apparently not uncommon and it's no biggie to the reviewer as long as they get the game with enough time to actually put a review together.

I, for one, don't see a problem.

Just saying there is an embargo implies no reviews until the game goes on sales.

The effect is on November 6 people will start talking about reviews even though they won't be available for another 3 days.

I was thinking that they were just trying to make sure no one had an advantage in announcing their review first...

...but then I realised that makes no sense at all. It's just bizarre.

In terms of the actual embargo, this is one of the rare occasions where I actually believe that they're just trying to keep the story and locations a secret.
The only way I see it make sense if it is like Xenoblade and they get the game a month ahead. Seems like they got a review copy this week.

The thing is, and I'm as guilty of this as anyone, you don't have to buy all your games on the first day. If the review is embargoed until the day of release, just hold off until the next day if you're worried. As a group we really are like fucking children sometimes. No patience whatsoever. Everyone has to have everything immediately, even if it means not really having any fucking clue what it is you're spending your money on.

RPGam3r

I can't believe people are buying a Bethesda game day one, and that was before we found out about the embargo.

4ImWu4W.gif

Yeah why would I buy day one after so many times buying their games at launch and loving them? How dare I buy from a company had provided me more than a thousand hours of gaming enjoyment.

Kolx

Didn't Kutako basically brake the embargo by publishing the date of when the reviews are going to be published? or does the date not apply to them?

Top Bottom