• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda has an embargo on announcing the FO4 review embargo, are you kidding me

Cuzco

Banned
giphy.gif

Nibel

Publishers really want those 'gamers go into the store and buy a game based on the boxart' days back.

It's 2015, Bethesda. The ending of your game is already floating around the net, streamers give no damn, try to find a better solution than to hide your cards even more.

weekev

Banned
there's no embargo on the embargo embargo, he just cant tell us when they plan to run their review
But is there an embargo on the lack of an embargo embargo? If so he just broke embargo for breaking the embargo embargo embargo, Bethesdas lawyers are coming.

Ogimachi

I don't know why they bother, to be honest. They're just delaying the 90+ metascore journos will give them regardless.

Hasney

Basically, with it being timed, it's all marketing. They want sites to go "REVIEW COMING MONDAY!" on Friday in a massive chorus so people are hyped to see the reviews and keep the game in peoples conversations, then OH SHIT REVIEWS before OH HOLY MOTHER OF FUCKING GOD THAT'S OUT TOMORROW.

what secrecy? this is common. theres been gameplay footage since e3. theres been no downgradeathon. no major gameplay questions unasnwered. they've been pretty upfront about the game. I'd just imagine a game with 11k dialogue lines must be pretty story heavy, so i'd imagine they want to stop it from getting out (which seems to already have failed).

I'm sorry, but I guess you haven't been paying attention to the leaks. There's plenty of basic gameplay information we've only just found out in the past few days.

Seems like a media/PR thing. They want an embargo on the embargo until Friday, when all the websites and reviewers will post news articles about when will be releasing reviews for the game on Monday, so Bethesda essentially assures hype and attention on Friday and Monday going into Tuesday. It's about controlling the messages and attention for maximum views.

Hip Hop

eh, it's Bethesda.

Aside from the graphics, I would bet money on this game turning out good no matter what. Well, if you like Bethesda games at least.

This will most likely rate highly regardless.

Boke1879

The only thing I'm worried about is if the game runs well and I believe we've had impressions from people on this forum from people who have played it saying it does run well.

DOWN

Banned
Rockstar is nowhere near this secretive.
Hell yeah they are. All we get from their games are trailers. Then a trickle of screenshots. It was way late, just weeks before GTA V that we finally saw more than the few trailers in motion and heard of the press getting to try it

But doesn't the existence of this very thread basically says "FUCK YOU" to this embargo to embargo?

No, because the embargo prohibits the reviewer from saying when he/she will begin their review coverage. They can still say "I can't say when my review coverage will be because that's under embargo" without breaking the embargo.

SeanR1221

Except this is the first time I've seen it, and it's the first time Jason's seen it according to the article. It certainly isn't common. What other games did this?

e: Obviously embargoes aren't new, I'm referring to an embargo on the embargo.

The bombcast (or maybe it was the beastcast) mentioned that this is sometimes a thing and it's not as crazy/insidious as people think. It's just usually a marketing team decision.

And the word gross gets thrown around too much.

PMS341

yeah I editied to reflect that. I still don't think its that big of a deal. I feel like this probably happens more than Kotaku is letting on but because its Fallout 4 and they recieved an official press thing about it vs. just being told not to by the pub, they want to take off with it.

No matter how many times it has happened before (embargoes for embargoes aren't nearly as common as you'd think), the situation is still completely anti-consumer, but pro-corporation. They build the hype, regardless of how warranted it is or not, and use this to mask any development issues before launch. Kind of sad we have to rely on leaks just to hear or see the truth when it comes to game launches these days.

Hasney

I'm sorry, but I guess you haven't been paying attention to the leaks. There's plenty of basic gameplay information we've only just found out in the past few days.

I know, it's fucking brilliant. Hope other games follow suit and we find out stuff this close to release.

Dude, in defense of Bethesda, this isn't your normal video game release. Many people want their hands on this game and they are probably just trying to keep information from getting out. Y'know, keeping spoilers at bay. Whether or not their true intentions is to hide how bad the game actually is, is a different story. I'll be placing my money on just keeping the spoilers contained.

yeah that's called game leaks man, that's how it goes with almost all of them. that doesn't do go very far in refuting sersteven's points unless you believe we should expect to know literally everything about a game's systems before launch

Johndoey

Banned
So with their next game will it be a loop of embargoing embargoes or can one self embargo in the second or third embargo. Can an embargo embargo itself? Will the embargo gain sentience if it self embargoes?

Warablo

Publishers really want those 'gamers go into the store and buy a game based on the boxart' days back.

It's 2015, Bethesda. The ending of your game is already floating around the net, streamers give no damn, try to find a better solution than to hide your cards even more.

This, I didn't read any spoilers and I can probably already guess the ending based on the information they already released anyway.

Hasney

No matter how many times it has happened before (embargoes for embargoes aren't nearly as common as you'd think), the situation is still completely anti-consumer, but pro-corporation. They build the hype, regardless of how warranted it is or not, and use this to mask any development issues before launch. Kind of sad we have to rely on leaks just to hear or see the truth when it comes to game launches these days.

What are they hiding? Reviews will be up before launch and it's been in reviewers hands well in advance now. That's the part that matters.

Weather or not you agree with embargos in the first place is different since it's the press helping the marketing, but this isn't seemingly doing anything shady to hide anything, at least more than most other AAA games.

There was a point where we needed to stop defending bethesda and we have clearly passed it but let’s keep going and see what happens.

Wallach

fuckin' why

For marketing purposes. Messaging happening on the same days, basically. Everyone announcing around 6th that the reviews will be up on the 9th is to drive more people to the reviews on the morning of the 9th, which immediately preceeds the launch of their game.

adj_noun

So with their next game will it be a loop of embargoing embargoes or can one self embargo in the second or third embargo. Can an embargo embargo itself? Will the embargo gain sentience if it self embargoes?

If you wish to be exempt from the embargo embargo embargo you must go to Margot in Fargo to get some cargo that's under embargo unless you watch Argo.

These sorts of things continue to get worse every year. This is never, ever going to change until pre-orders start dropping. Something with the name recognition, hype and reservation numbers of Fallout can do whatever the hell it wants without any consequences.

Even extremely good games have big embargoes now, which to me makes no sense. If your game is that good and you know it's good why not welcome more hype machine?

TheGrue

We have teaser sites for teasers and teasers for trailers...why not embargoes for embargoes? Also, I know on the Giant Bombcast, they've mentioned before that it's something that can happen.

Holy shit people you're seriously flipping out because press isn't allowed to say when they'll review a game until a certain date. Post launch review embargoes are shit but as long as the review comes day and date with the game or before who cares when press can say the review will be available.

Top Bottom