• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft ready to talk to devs who want crossplay

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
https://www.vg247.com/2017/08/29/mi...and-others-to-join-xbox-one-and-pc-crossplay/

Microsoft say they are ready and willing to talk to Nintendo and Valve regarding crossplay for any dev team if they want

Microsoft has said it’s ready to have a “conversation” with any development team that wants to feature crossplay support on consoles and PC.

Mike Ybarra, vice president of Xbox, told VG247 that it’s happy to talk to the likes of Valve and Nintendo when it comes to getting multiplayer games working across multiple platforms, not just between Xbox One and Windows.

“We totally agree with that. If any developer wants to have that conversation… Valve is right down the street from us, Nintendo is too – they’re like a block from us. We’re having these discussions as developers come up, and we’re completely open to that.”

Warablo

The day when Battlefield and CoD can have crossplay (specifically consoles), maybe publishers can go back to season pass map packs.

sibarraz

Banned
I love how this is the second time that I have read a microsoft rep reminding us that Nintendo is at 1 block of microsoft.

I didn't know that they were close to valve though

watdaeff4

If the caveat is that crossplay is required amongst all platforms; then this is just lip service on his part as it's obvious that is not going to happen.

I'm curious if they would allow if MS, Nintendo and PC could crossplay amongst those three and a separate service for PS/PC crossplay (my guess is no as wouldn't that take up more resources for SE?)

Dynomutt

Destiny please!

Nintendo is in the middle lol! Reminds me of Layden's comments...

"When you look at our numbers, I think it shows that a lot of gamers are a two-console family," explained Layden. "And quite often those two consoles are PlayStation and Nintendo sitting side-by-side

Sony needs to get Sumo and VV on CTR ASAP cross-play with Switch!

I wish consoles would start supporting KB+M and games would distinguish whether the player was using a controller/KB+M, that way we could have proper crossplay implementation while it remains fair.

Especially for something like Destiny though the frame rate argument deserves some consideration (and I certainly wouldn't want to be held back because consoles). Come on Elder Scrolls Online. Let's do it.

Keinning

I wish consoles would start supporting KB+M and games would distinguish whether the player was using a controller/KB+M, that way we could have proper crossplay implementation while it remains fair.

Especially for something like Destiny though the frame rate argument deserves some consideration (and I certainly wouldn't want to be held back because consoles). Come on Elder Scrolls Online. Let's do it.

as long as its optional
i play on controller only and i care way less about "things being fair" and way more for "enough people to play with me". i don't care if other people use KB+M against me and win. i just want to play.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I love how this is the second time that I have read a microsoft rep reminding us that Nintendo is at 1 block of microsoft.

Gabe Newell is a former Microsoft Employee. I guess he likes the area.

Dynomutt

Fuckin' Sony....

Vba6HeFNw4.gif

Sony and MS right now...

Shambala

How oddly timed.
Yea crazy how the tables turned. 😂😂 I guarantee if they were the market leader things would be so different. I know people are loving this. But me I’m not buying into this “goodie” Microsoft at all. Bring it on guys let me have it

Windu

Microsoft has said that is their plan. Taking a long time though. Minecraft recently got mouse and keyboard in the xbox beta so maybe its coming sooner rather than later.

Here is what Mike Ybarra said about it in June:
Mike Ybarra PCGamesN June 2017 said:
Here's what Ybarra told us:

”Still the plan is to bring keyboard and mouse to the console. When we think about that, we have to give a lot of developer choice, but also be very mindful, because in the competitive space if you go keyboard and mouse against a controller you naturally have an advantage with the precision of that input.

”So we want to give developers the option to support keyboard and mouse and if they do, the option to play with just mouse and keyboard people, with just controller people, or you don't care because you think you can compete with all of them at the same time. So that's something that's on the roadmap still. We're not announcing a date, but definitely something we wanna do."
https://pcgamesn.com/xbox-one-x-mouse-keyboard

Probably my most wanted feature but its taking forever. They talked about it years ago.

Tarahiro

Anyone else read this as "Cosplay" and not Crossplay?

I did :p
But then I remembered that crossplay is technically cosplay anyway. Just for opposite gender characters. So for all we know the Microsoft staff could be dressing up as opposite gender characters when they go talking to Nintendo and Valve! :)

But seriously though it would be great if more games got crossplay.

Yea crazy how the tables turned. 😂😂 I guarantee if they were the market leader things would be so different. I know people are loving this. But me I’m not buying into this “goodie” Microsoft at all. Bring it on guys let me have it

What difference does that make? I mean they want it supported now so where's the issue? Or are you gonna always hold things above their head because you don't like the company?

I swear some people are like 9 year olds.

phanphare

Banned

I don't think anybody is buying the "goodie" MS angle, it's more that it benefits consumers

shanafan

If COD became Xbox/PC crossplay, sales will be boosted in the Windows store because I can't see a Steam version giving crossplay - and might be harder to tackle with gamertags on Xbox vs. Steam IDs.

Windu

Microsoft's platform is Azure now. So they are more geared toward the user, whatever device they use. They just want them to use their cloud. So they are a little better than Microsoft of old, still have their self interests but they are more alligned with users nowadays.

Dynomutt

I don't think anybody is buying the "goodie" MS angle, it's more that it benefits consumers

Yeah I can care less for MS overall. They did Windows Phone super dirty. If a game like Destiny could get cross-play with full integration of voice and chat they that's all I care about. If cross play is half-assed and only benefits devs by increasing population I could care less as I don't play with randoms.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

There is a skybridge between a Microsoft building and Valve's building.

It's a crime that FFXIV isn't on the One. with the OneX coming out this would be a nice system seller... I think. Sure you can't beat the PC experience but it's a nice gesture.

If anything we need an influx of new players, it probably won't be much but I remember the 360 crowd getting in on FFXI and it breathed some life into the game for a while.

ResoRai

Forgot about how close to one another a lot of em are. It's pretty cool.

Yea crazy how the tables turned. ���� I guarantee if they were the market leader things would be so different. I know people are loving this. But me I'm not buying into this ”goodie" Microsoft at all. Bring it on guys let me have it

And this is why competition it really good as it always benefits the consumer, Microsoft being in second places sales wise is making them go out of their way to become more consumer friendly plus cross platform play benefits everybody.
Though MS these days wants more people on their Azure services or be involved somewhere within their ecosystem so they are taking whatever steps necessary to maximise the amount of users on them.
That being said though what is the hold up with FF XIV is there something else stopping them from doing it?

phanphare

Banned
Yeah I can care less for MS overall. They did Windows Phone super dirty. If a game like Destiny could get cross-play with full integration of voice and chat they that's all I care about. If cross play is half-assed and only benefits devs by increasing population I could care less as I don't play with randoms.

yeah I had a windows phone back with the windows phone 7.5 os. it was awesome. app support forced my hand tho.

Irobot82

How would this work? Would console players get some kind of Auto aim assist? They'd be at a huge disadvantage without it.

Destiny please!

Nintendo is in the middle lol! Reminds me of Layden's comments...

Sony needs to get Sumo and VV on CTR ASAP cross-play with Switch!
Im trying my hardest to figure out what this has to do with this thread lol

Anyways i hope we see more crossplay games, they're good for the industry

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Console and PC? Like isn't this already happening?

I believe they mean a deeper discussion. Like having multiple parties discussion between Microsoft, developers, Valve/Nintendo to improve the crossplay landscape beyond what is currently offered.

Dynomutt

yeah I had a windows phone back with the windows phone 7.5 os. it was awesome. app support forced my hand tho.

Yup. I was salty. Convinced all my fam to drop Windows PC and friends that Windows Phone was EOL (Which it is). They killed my favorite phone and OS.
41tkT-RgDcL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

They killed my a great game too...The Harvest.

Im trying my hardest to figure out what this has to do with this thread lol

Anyways i hope we see more crossplay games, they're good for the industry

A comment about a game with a large community in thread about cross play suggesting that that game get's cross play. Seem's relevant to me.

If your referring to the Layden comment it seems like Nintendo is Sweden this generation. Sort of in the middle and neutral. Don't look to deep the water is shallow.

If your referring about CTR that's just icing on the cake.

U_Know_Me

This is big for games with smaller communities or for parts of the world where there isn't as many gamers. While we're at it how about buying a game once and being able to play it on any platform, but that will never happen.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I believe they mean a deeper discussion. Like having multiple parties discussion between Microsoft, developers, Valve/Nintendo to improve the crossplay landscape beyond what is currently offered.

Be great if it was to work on an agreement on astandard for deeper cross platform options like chat tags invites etc.

Top Bottom