• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: Microsoft won't announce any new games at TGAs

Or at least see who is making it. Such a weird thing to hide

that has been bugging me not sure why they aren't telling us who is making it, trust me I always look at twiter to see what recent people they've like just to catch a sniff of who they might be working with and all i sense is IRON GALAXY but who knows they said they've gone through a few studios so in my mind that would be a easy first canidate..which means they wouldn't have to search for a dev team....so confused oh well I guess in time we will know.

Yup. This game needs a Destiny style beta.

Destiny beta was nothing more than a glorified demo imo... (saved me £40 too!) the alpha might have been useful though.

Shinobi said The Division has a beta in March iirc, thats a proper beta if its going to be a holiday 2015 title.

that has been bugging me not sure why they aren't telling us who is making it, trust me I always look at twiter to see what recent people they've like just to catch a sniff of who they might be working with and all i sense is IRON GALAXY but who knows they said they've gone through a few studios so in my mind that would be a easy first canidate..which means they wouldn't have to search for a dev team....so confused oh well I guess in time we will know.
Iron Galaxy is kind of busy correct? I can't even think of a studio that I could wholeheartedly support making the game. Could Futatsugi and Grounding inc be doing it?

Biker19

Banned
Which Microsoft lacks in Q1 as a claimed Sony did in this years Q4

Which is the exact same response to the ridiculous "PS4 has no games" narrative.

Sony has a big first party and a big second party title releasing back to back.

Microsoft has no retail titles with actual release dates.

Neither here nor there. The fact is using the same excuse reeks of hypocrisy.

Well in that case you can't even mention Microsoft and Sony in the same breadth. Microsoft have absolute zero games with confirmed releases dates in Q1-2.

Sony has 2 big ones in February and March. Not sure how that's 'poor' but hey.

EDIT: I forget, Screamride on March 6th.

How come it seems like it was OK to knock PS4 has having "NO GAMES" when it did, but simply saying x has a weaker lineup especially first 2/3rds of 2015 is ridiculous? Now indies and multiplats are OK again

This is exactly what GHG was pointing out earlier, but these posters here have chewed him out for no reason about it. Sad.

They wouldn't have announced games that were 2 or more years away if they had stuff to show.

Not true, companies announce games very far in advance all the time if it means it can lock some fans of these games.

Even if you based that comment on this year alone because Ms showed some games that were far off, that also would be wrong because they also announced some games this year that were released or were planned for this year too.

How come it seems like it was OK to knock PS4 has having "NO GAMES" when it did, but simply saying x has a weaker lineup especially first 2/3rds of 2015 is ridiculous? Now indies and multiplats are OK again

Game announcements are a business science. If you look at the broad and simple logics behind it, it makes sense.

It's not uncommon among the publishers to at least announce one 'AAA new IP' at E3. In fact, it's a realistic avenue to basically cement your position as someone who's at least pushing a new brand out every year. Order 1886 and Bloodborne were Sony's E3's major new IP reveal', just as Sunset Overdrive & Scalebound were MS's own approach to that.

But sometimes, it's hard to line everything up so that you can have all these things aligned properly. If the leaks are correct, Scalebound is a 2016 title that was probably announced too early, but from a publisher standpoint, it would look weak if you're at E3 without a 'fresh new AAA IP', especially if it's just year two of your platform. Likewise with Sony. Order 1886's delay meant that a game whose announcement at E3 2013 made sense made the timing weak, and now both 'new E3 IPs' occupy the same release quarter.

And then there' the "one last thing." It's just as bad as trying to line-up new IP announcements. Watch_Dogs, The Division, Uncharted 4 Reveal, Wild, Crackdown, Titanfall, etc.... all examples of the one last thing of sorts. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it's obvious that it's something that shouldn't be done either.

The Division and Wild were two games that Ubi/Sony decided for it to be their 'one last thing' moment, but those two games probably could afford another 6 months to a year of being in the oven before revealed. But Sony presumably wanted a 'big, ambitious AA-title' to end its Gamescom, just as Ubisoft, every year, has its 'one last thing' to close off their conferences.

ekim

Phil Spencer confirmed we won't see anything from Scalebound. Marcus Fenix collection would be a new game so we won't see that either, unless Greenberg is messing around and doesn't see it as a "new" game. If we see anything from MS my guess is it'll be a new State of Decay or Ori trailer.

Halo 5 Campagin teaser.

Lol multiplats and indies are relevant again!?
But I was told that didn't count on my ps4 this year /s

Edit: Ori looks awesome! Xbox owners have a gem there

2thepoint

I thought surely Microsoft would have something to announce at least at The TGA's.

They really must have emptied the barrel with E3.

Does not look good for long term prospects if we have to wait another 6 months just to see something new at E3.

Just shows that a lot of the stuff like Crackdown 3, Scalebound and Phantom Dust were announced way too early.

JaggedSac

I did buy both. I'm playing like 4 games at the moment at the same time (GTA5,Far Cry4,Shadow of Mordor,Evil Within), hard to keep focus on one. But soon, i will play the hell out of Forza Horizon 2 and hopefully finish Sunset Overdrive. Holiday vacations are gonna be fun !

I made the mistake of starting DA:I, lol. I can already tell I will sink more than 60 hours into that game since I have a strange desire to complete every little task.

I made the mistake of starting DA:I, lol. I can already tell I will sink more than 60 hours into that game since I have a strange desire to complete every little task.

More than 60? Try 100+. I'm over 50 hours into it and feel like I have a LOOOOOOOONG way to go.

More than 60? Try 100+. I'm over 50 hours into it and feel like I have a LOOOOOOOONG way to go.

1. Go to NPC
2. Select conversation options
3. Hey, this isn't what I wanted to say!
4. Reload
5. Try again until satisfied with conversation
6. Save
7. Repeat Step 1

My life with Dragon Age: I

JaggedSac

1. Go to NPC
4. Reload
6. Save
7. Repeat Step 1

Lol, I've been doing that with throne stuff but gave up worrying about that with everything else. It has turned into a traveling salesman problem of finding the best routes in the best area for completing the most quests in the shortest times.

:(

Begaria

1. Go to NPC
4. Reload
6. Save
7. Repeat Step 1

Too tedious. I tried that once with a single conversation and it just didn't feel right. Personally, I like the fact that certain characters will just flat out disagree or disapprove of what I personally feel and say. The approval/disapproval system is one of the best things about DA:I instead of just having some silly paragon/renegade or "love meter" like in DA:O.

Uhh... how? The momentum they've gained with the price drop has pretty much been thanks to the Holiday season having a ton of third party releases/support. Both companies will have new games and IPs to announce next year, you know... as is the case every year.

E3 is 7 months away, bro.

Does Microsoft really want 7 months of being dominated if PS4 shows off new exciting games?

Too tedious. I tried that once with a single conversation and it just didn't feel right. Personally, I like the fact that certain characters will just flat out disagree or disapprove of what I personally feel and say. The approval/disapproval system is one of the best things about DA:I instead of just having some silly paragon/renegade or "love meter" like in DA:O.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the same way. But the damn conversation system often times say things different than what is implied in the dial.

Begaria

The Xbox One had been getting dominated all this year up until November, even with a stronger Q3/Q4 showing in terms of games and price/value. Q1/Q2 is what it is up until E3 regardless of Microsoft's decisions.

Chobel

E3 is 7 months away, bro.

Does Microsoft really want 7 months of being dominated if PS4 shows off new exciting games?

MS only cares about US, they're probably betting that Sony won't sell big in the first 6 months of 2015 (slow months in comparison to holidays).

I thought surely Microsoft would have something to announce at least at The TGA's.

They really must have emptied the barrel with E3.

Does not look good for long term prospects if we have to wait another 6 months just to see something new at E3.

Just shows that a lot of the stuff like Crackdown 3, Scalebound and Phantom Dust were announced way too early.

You hear that a lot, yet Screamride and State of Decay were revealed after E3, so that theory obviously doesn't hold water. I suppose they either wanted to get everything that NTKRNL has leaked out of the way or NTKRNL has somehow gotten hold of their E3 presentation plans.

In any case, Spencer has already said that he thought they would have news before E3, just not yet.

MS only cares about US, they're probably betting that Sony won't sell big in the first 6 months of 2015 (slow months in comparison to holidays).

If they have any sense, we'll get some Xbox Wire post early in January saying after the great response to the price drops/bundles they've decided to keep them the same price. Then they'll announce $349 bundles for The Witcher 3 and Evolve (separate bundles)

I think they will bundle Halo early next year too - when its fixed. Phil Spencer did say the AC bundle is only through to the end of the year I think.

You hear that a lot, yet Screamride and State of Decay were revealed after E3, so that theory obviously doesn't hold water. I suppose they either wanted to get everything that NTKRNL has leaked out of the way or NTKRNL has somehow gotten hold of their E3 presentation plans.

In any case, Spencer has already said that he thought they would have news before E3, just not yet.

I think it's more of the fact that it's unquestionable that E3 is the 'crown jewel' of MS's line-up plans. It's safe to say that approximately 80-90% of every first-party announcement/update for Xbox happens at around the E3 time-frame.

Sure, sometimes, we get Jimmy Fallon, and there's always at least something at Gamescom, but their showings at other events/timeframe are never remotely competitive with their E3 lineup.

Put it this way. If Sony/Nintendo had a terrible E3/Direct, that doesn't hold too much weight because by their announcement history, they could easily have a terrific Gamescom/Direct at another time, because Sony/Nintendo's E3/Direct-equivalent is probably around 30-40% of their line-up plan, give or take. Gamescom and TGS are relatively competitive with their E3 show, and Nintendo can easily announce a Majora's Mask at a random Direct as they wish.

Whereas MS, well, if whatever they announce at E3, probably makes up a large bulk of whatever they announced for that year already. At best, 2 to 3 more at Gamescom/Xbox Wire/etc, but nothing that has reached the level where they inspire the confidence that they're keeping a lot more in their sleeves for that year in terms of announcements.

Iron Galaxy is kind of busy correct? I can't even think of a studio that I could wholeheartedly support making the game. Could Futatsugi and Grounding inc be doing it?

Could possibly be them but that was another one who microsoft work with before along with Iron galaxy, so I found the interview with Ken/Adam (forgot the other guys name) to be odd since they said they've talk to alot of teams and eventually found the perfect group who are hardcore fans of the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5AnEwGlHMg 14:25 mark look how excited he is about what development team they chose.....why aren't they telling us ;____;

jbug617

Banned
Just looking at the Game Informer January issue they said they will have Quantum Break coverage so possible a new trailer for TGA?

Halo 5 Campagin teaser.

There is no way. If the beta is any indication they aren't close to showing that off. Your waiting till E3.

This next year is going to be opposite situation for me especially now that MCC is a non factor. Looks like it's all PS4 until next holiday

Just looking at the Game Informer January issue they said they will have Quantum Break coverage so possible a new trailer for TGA?

As has been said several times:

Phil spencer has said quantum break and Scalebound won't be showing anything more until 2015. Check his twitter. Said it about Scalebound last night and QB when he was at remedy earlier in November.

At best, we will get a trailer for halo 5 multiplayer and perhaps tomb raider from square, but I doubt we'll see tr, halo trailer makes sense.

gaming_noob

This is exactly what GHG was pointing out earlier, but these posters here have chewed him out for no reason about it. Sad.

This type of posting got you banned for a whole day before. :rolleyes

IMO they need to show some new games to get the bad taste of MCC out of our mouths. They created momentum with FH2, then Sunset Overdrive but MCC killed that excitement.

I think it's more of the fact that it's unquestionable that E3 is the 'crown jewel' of MS's line-up plans. It's safe to say that approximately 80-90% of every first-party announcement/update for Xbox happens at around the E3 time-frame.

Sure, sometimes, we get Jimmy Fallon, and there's always at least something at Gamescom, but their showings at other events/timeframe are never remotely competitive with their E3 lineup.

Put it this way. If Sony/Nintendo had a terrible E3/Direct, that doesn't hold too much weight because by their announcement history, they could easily have a terrific Gamescom/Direct at another time, because Sony/Nintendo's E3/Direct-equivalent is probably around 30-40% of their line-up plan, give or take. Gamescom and TGS are relatively competitive with their E3 show, and Nintendo can easily announce a Majora's Mask at a random Direct as they wish.

Whereas MS, well, if whatever they announce at E3, probably makes up a large bulk of whatever they announced for that year already. At best, 2 to 3 more at Gamescom/Xbox Wire/etc, but nothing that has reached the level where they inspire the confidence that they're keeping a lot more in their sleeves for that year in terms of announcements.

Yes, that has been their strategy for several years. I'd prefer if they went back to the pre-Mattrick mode of operation when announcements at events like X06, their Gamers Day in 2008 or even TGS were more common. Hopefully Spencer realizes that they could benefit from not putting all their eggs in a single basket.

Could possibly be them but that was another one who microsoft work with before along with Iron galaxy, so I found the interview with Ken/Adam (forgot the other guys name) to be odd since they said they've talk to alot of teams and eventually found the perfect group who are hardcore fans of the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5AnEwGlHMg 14:25 mark look how excited he is about what development team they chose.....why aren't they telling us ;____;
With the low number of people who actually played the game its kinda crazy that they found a team that loved the game so much. Hell I thought it would be difficult to find devs that knew what it was. Since Futatsugi is confirmed to be involved I guess its safe to say he left grounding to work with whatever studio is doing the game.

I'm totally on board with them changing the mission structure but I really hope they don't touch the art and music too much. It was just too perfect.

It sounds like they are dedicated to keeping the core gameplay essentially the same with only tweaks to skills. Most fans agree anyway that some skills need to be tweaked. The balance is overall a pretty damn good foundation.

I have high hopes.

Bsigg12

Yes, that has been their strategy for several years. I'd prefer if they went back to the pre-Mattrick mode of operation when announcements at events like X06, their Gamers Day in 2008 or even TGS were more common. Hopefully Spencer realizes that they could benefit from not putting all their eggs in a single basket.

A revival of the X events would be cool.

Realistically, what are the chances of them announcing third party exclusives or timed exclusives?

At the GAs? Zero.

Top Bottom